• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

rain Gameplay Video (SCE Japan Studio/PlayStation CAMP for PS3)

i-Lo

Limbo + Silent film + Miming + Pottermore + Beautiful music = Something that intrigues me.

If the game is good, I hope it can draw as many potential eyeballs as Journey did.

GeoramA

Looks excellent, bout time we saw more of it. So much cool stuff hitting PS3 this year.

Now I'd like to see more Puppeteer and Until Dawn.

1eii83.jpg

2sncgu.jpg

3lsi9u.jpg

Empty

nice! was wondering when we were going to see more of this. <3 japan studio.

i groaned when enemies appeared only to smile when i saw you have to use the environment to avoid them. hope there's some ico-style puzzles too.

atmosphere looks a bit strong but as someone who loves the rainy mood site and piano pieces bring it on.

Oh man, finally - been waiting to see some proper gameplay footage of rain since its unveiling at GamesCom last year. I love what I see in the vid, from the general influence of ICO and constant use of fixed camera angles, to the European-esque locale and the story book presentation. And they've kept 'Clair de Lune' in there as well. I thought it would just be a fixture of the trailer, but I'm glad it has actually made it in the game too; it suits the mood to a tee. A gane this bursting with atmosphere, I need it as soon as humanly possible.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It was one of the two Japan Studio games (the other being Puppetteer) announced at gamescom last year. After that the team went completely dark. They just recently started talking about it again. They've opened a Facebook account where they're going to be talking about how the development has gone

http://www.facebook.com/rain.PS3

This is the dev team

150471_47648002574058x2dmf.png

I guess this just got overshadowed by Puppeteer. Really weird that I missed it.

yurinka

Looks amazing. I'd only improve the transitions between animations, and the transitions between cameras. Everything else is charming.

I guess this just got overshadowed by Puppeteer. Really weird that I missed it.

I think what hurt it is that they just showed a trailer and didn't say anything. With Puppeteer the director starting doing the rounds with interviews after the reveal. They even had an extended demo to show to the press. Things should change now that rain is going to be demoed and they're starting to talk about it more.

Feindflug

The atmosphere and presentation are nothing short of amazing.

The music is breathtaking. Need the ost nowwww.

This is a retail game right?

Does it really matter? game looks more interesting than 99% of the retail games we're getting this year.

2013 looks like a very good year for PSN...Lone Survivor, Rain, Hotline Miami (what an excellent game) & Guacamelee will be mine day one.

CamHostage

The walking, jumping and running looks too me they used echochrome animations.

Yeah, I equated it to Ico a bit like everybody else because of its singular charm but the animation reminded me of something more specific and I couldn't put my finger on it until now. Totally Echochrome.

i groaned when enemies appeared only to smile when i saw you have to use the environment to avoid them. hope there's some ico-style puzzles too.

The original trailer for the game I believe showed some gameplay snippets that had more complex puzzles involving rainy and dry spots. This is the opening of the game, so its a bit simple, although I'd like to see more of what it does beyond just stealth maneuvers.

Looks amazing. I'd only improve the transitions between animations, and the transitions between cameras. Everything else is charming.

Yeah, I was hoping for a game with a BIT more technical sophistication, but it'll do. Like the rain effect just seems to be texture-on/texture-off with a bit of a woosh sound to mix it, would have been more impressive to make the rain a real element where you could tell drops on the body and could tell when rain is getting light or extra heavy, something akin to say Hollow Man. MGS2 still has some of the best rain in games, and the MGS:GZ trailer also does a great job of making the rain feel like water rather than an effect, it'd be lovely if Rain were the game that had redefined its own namesake's effect.

But if the mood stays as engaging as this, it doesn't matter how much engine pizazz they're packing if it grabs you.

jay

I'm not crying, it's just been raining... on my face.

This looks like something I'd buy. Will definitely keep an eye out for it.

Looks neat, though having dealt with my share of rain over the years, I have to say seeing the rainfall stop in clearly defined areas strains my suspension of belief. :)

Endo Punk

Looks really exciting. I'm all for weird and experimental games especially when Sony is behind it, they seem to have a good eye for the quirky experiences harking back to the PS1 days.

Fabrik

Banned
Cute. I have a feeling the traversal will be very basic. Again it will be all about the "experience". I can't criticize too much because at least it's original. But for me it'll probably be (Until proven otherwise) style over substance all over again <- This post represents my humble opinion so keep it cool.
If it's a downloadable game, I'm perfectly fine with it.

Top Bottom