• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World |OT| Concrete Jungle

Cyanity

Banned
Super excited for this. Partially because I share a lot of mutual friends with one of the devs (yes, they're furries), but also because the game looks good as hell.

prudislav

Are there any reviewers that speak to KB&M controls? The RPS reviewer seemed to be using a gamepad which took me offguard.
from one of the devs from comments if RPS WIT
Controller is not mandatory! At the beginning you can choose between xbox, ps4 dualshock or keyboard and switch at any time in the options menu of course, as well as rebind keys, etc.

And in fact the game was originally designed for keyboard controls! I still play it that way when testing.

brawly

Not feeling it at all after the first half an hour. But I'm sure lots of people will like it.

It's late though, I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Read the RPS review and the dev reactions. Unfairness is not something I worry about in a game with a dynamic and complex AI ecosystem. But imprecise controls is. And while I'm glad the dev is willing to look into improving the controls "once we know what to look for", I find it odd that they aren't already aware of them if they are as sloshy as the reviewer makes them sound.

Pachimari

I've been waiting on this game for years and have it paid off. I'm really excited but then again, I hate brutal/hard but fair games. So it can end up being a game I really love or one I totally despair.

Also I wish I hadn't seen that gif with the machine gun on the first page. All those gifs are a bad idea. Would have rather discovered that for myself.

Nice OP by the way.

data

I've been waiting on this game for years and have it paid off. I'm really excited but then again, I hate brutal/hard but fair games. So it can end up being a game I really love or one I totally despair.

Also I wish I hadn't seen that gif with the machine gun on the first page. All those gifs are a bad idea. Would have rather discovered that for myself.

Nice OP by the way.

lol don't worry, the spoiler tags say it's an april fools joke

Granjinha

Read the RPS review and the dev reactions. Unfairness is not something I worry about in a game with a dynamic and complex AI ecosystem. But imprecise controls is. And while I'm glad the dev is willing to look into improving the controls "once we know what to look for", I find it odd that they aren't already aware of them if they are as sloshy as the reviewer makes them sound.

I have some complaints about the controls/physics too but that guy is exaggerating quite a lot :p

I'm wondering if maybe the joystick controls just aren't up to snuff. Maybe getting the precision you need is easier with arrow keys / dpad. Are most of the reviewers playing with a gamepad?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I have some complaints about the controls/physics too but that guy is exaggerating quite a lot :p
So you're saying he's wrong about the way you hold/throw objects in regards to both controls and priority? Because that sounds like a huge pain.

same the amount of work they put into the AI is really an inspiring thing
A little insight
JgqpL.png

In this post, "I" means from the perspective of a creature

The main tracker in a RW creature's AI is simply called the Tracker. This one basically keeps track of what creatures I know of, and where I think they might currently be (a notion that might be correct if I'm currently looking at them, and various degrees of incorrect if it was a while since I saw them). Each creature I know of has a representation in the Tracker, and this is sort of the UR representation for that creature, other modules refer to this one when thinking about a creature.

Other trackers such as PreyTracker and ThreatTracker has a reference to the creature representation in the Tracker, as well as some other module-specific data regarding that creature, such as how yummy it looks or whatever might be relevant.

The relationship tracker keeps goes through the representations in the Tracker, asks the AI what relationship it currently has to the creature in question, and if necessary moves stuff around to where they're supposed to be. For example, if I am only hunting the slugcat within a specific area, but the slugcat just exited that area, the slugcat representation needs to move from my PreyTracker to some other module.

This stuff is all pretty much just logistics. The cool stuff is an "internal state" for each tracked creature that is kept inside the RelationshipTracker. An internal state is a mini data structure which keeps track of some relevant stuff. Let's make a simple example: I'm a cicada - I want to cause a slugcat trouble. Unless the slugcat is holding a spear, in which case I want to get away.

So the slugcat is on the ground, no spear, and its representation in my cicada head is comfortably within my AgressionTracker. Now the slugcat runs over and picks up the spear. Now the thing is that we're doing this thing where RW creature don't know what they can't know. So say that the spear and the slugcat are out of my sight as the weapon is equipped. Every frame I (the cicada) ask my RelationshipTracker what relationship I have to the slugcat. The RelationshipTracker can't access the data about whether or not the slugcat is holding a spear directly, it has to go ask the internal state representing the slugcat. The internal state has a bool which represents the slugcat holding a spear or not.

Short GIF showing the vulture-lizard interaction

What the heatmap shows is the anticipated threat level for each tile in the lizard's threat tracker...

Basically the lizard merges two sets of data to get this map, the distance to the threat (naturally) and an Accessibility Map. See how the tiles close to terrain are bluer? And the tiles inside the box as well? That's one of the pre baked AI maps, the Accessibility Map, for the vulture. It allows the lizard to understand that inside the box is more safe than outside it. As you can see it's staying in the box, although nervously.

An 8/10 from PC Gamer
Rain World requires improvisation and smarts, and there’s no way to trick it into being easier. The early hours are taxing, and in all honesty, it continues to be taxing. It’s not relaxing. It’s not a game to wash away your daily worries with. But the variety of the world’s barren landscapes will keep the determined pushing on, and the seemingly insurmountable challenges are, well, surmountable, but not thanks to 'tricks' per se. You just have to be smart about it. You have to learn—and then very vaguely know—how to survive. You have to accept that sometimes you’ll be unlucky. Is that too demanding? For the vast majority of players, I expect it is. For those with the time and patience, Rain World will prove unforgettable.

Very curious to see how much of these review complaints are legitimate - like how Rain World is allegedly "impossibly unfair" - and how much of them are the usual press suspects kneejerk bellyaching (in typical fashion) about anything remotely difficult, unorthodox or non-explanatory for the umpteenth time.

etrain911

I'm surprised this thread is moving so fast. Indie game threads can be hit or miss on GAF. Hollow Knight went a page and a half in a day; this one is already almost at 5 pages

I think part of it is your dedication to spreading info (in a genuinely non-biased manner, for the record) and your passion towards the game. I know you mentioned in an indie thread that this KS and journey was what first got you into indie gaming, and I honestly would not have bought two copies of this (one for Steam and one for PS4) without the info you provided.

killroy87

Very curious to see how much of these review complaints are legitimate - like how Rain World is allegedly "impossibly unfair" - and how much of them are the usual press suspects kneejerk bellyaching (in typical fashion) about anything remotely difficult, unorthodox or non-explanatory for the umpteenth time.

It's people's opinions, they're all legitimate lol.

Huh, went to a different second region than most streams seem to go

Most streamers seem to head up to Industrial, I headed down and found the entrance to Drainage System

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I'm genuinely excited about the unfiltered procedural behavior of the AI - its a very rare thing to have in todays games.

My first complaints after a half hour are thus:

1)I don't know the mechanics of jumping and hanging off poles. Sometimes it seems to work, sometimes not. I can't tell if I have to hit a button to grab on or not.

2) Clarity of graphics versus functionality is at war here. what's that on the ground? A rock? A brick? A bat? Grass? There's tiny black objects mixed in with the floor everywhere. I don't understand why the colors have to be the exact same.

My first complaints after a half hour are thus:

1)I don't know the mechanics of jumping and hanging off poles. Sometimes it seems to work, sometimes not. I can't tell if I have to hit a button to grab on or not.

2) Clarity of graphics versus functionality is at war here. what's that on the ground? A rock? A brick? A bat? Grass? There's tiny black objects mixed in with the floor everywhere. I don't understand why the colors have to be the exact same.
Do you mean while falling towards a pipe? Hold up to grab on

Should I post some moveset tips? Some might not be apparent if you dont already know about them

Huh, went to a different second region than most streams seem to go

Most streamers seem to head up to Industrial, I headed down and found the entrance to Drainage System
Area is hard and losing my
rank
and having to hunt for 5 minutes when I don't make it to the checkpoint in there because it locks sucks

Edit: And now back to square one.......what a system

rank
and having to hunt for 5 minutes when I don't make it to the checkpoint in there because it locks sucks
You're meant to go up, really. The game guides you that way. This other particular area is harder, and you skip some tutorial tips. Dont go that way if you're new to the game

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
rank

Edit: And now back to square one.......what a system

That's the major point of contention listed in most of the reviews - the checkpoint system is at odds with the rest of the game's design.

Briarios

Do you mean while falling towards a pipe? Hold up to grab on

Should I post some moveset tips? Some might not be apparent if you dont already know about them

It's not apparent because nothing in the game tells you to do that ...

I don't mind hard games, but I'm just not sure about this one. The controls just don't feel precise in any manner on the PS4. And, the fact that a single mistake can get you killed before you can even get a handle on the controls on top of the fact that you have no time to figure them out because you're constantly pushed forward by the rain mechanic. I'm just not really feeling it. I'll give it another chance tomorrow, but I had a lot more fun with Snake Pass, even though I died just as much trying to get those darn coins lol

Maybe I'm just too tired and the game was too taxing for my state of mind ... Like I said, I'm giving it another chance when I wake up.

I think the point of the checkpoints/rank system isn't so much to act as a means of gating the player (though they do), but to really put the focus on acquiring knowledge, making smart decisions, and keeping the intensity high because every "run" counts. I'm still pretty early, but already I've gotten into a rhythm of making a note of hunting grounds where bats tend to hang out, and deciding right away whether or not that "day" will for forward progress, or used to get a sense of direction and gather enough food to go back and rest before trying again. These aren't just checkpoints, they're a sort of temporary home you squat in while venturing out a little more every run before finally leaving it behind. Sometimes you just have to bank your progress and return to your hole instead of pushing blindly with <25% of the day left, risking everything. Once you know where you're going, the subsequent runs are much faster.

Also, I don't think the rain is necessarily pushing you forward, it's just pushing you to move quickly, whatever you decide to do..

____

That feel when asshole predators are blocking your only path forward and you have to make risky moves x_x

jOIoChd.gif

Tonight is going to be Rain World night.

I'm not put off by the negatives highlighted so far. As others have said, I'm in for the AI and the believability (verisimilitude?) of the experience.

I'm still not done with Horizon but I think actually the two will go very well together. And also the reason I'm still not done with Horizon is the same reason I think I'll get on very well with RW, which is that I'm taking my sweet time and soaking up as much as possible of the simulation that that game offers of 'being there'.

Personally that's such a major part of what attracts me to games, I'm realising. With Horizon I'm neither grinding out sidequests nor racing through the plot. I'm playing as Aloy, in that world, as realistically as I know how. And the open world of that game offers so much opportunity for genuinely emergent experiences. Even though the next main quest is an important objective - well so is getting past those Rocbreakers in one piece.

Anyway, Christ, enough about a completely different game!

The point was I think this approach will get the best out of Rain World. Also that I think the two will complement each other very well - prey simulator and Huntress simulator - each as a palette cleanser for the other.

Kientin

Stopping by to say I'm really digging this so far. Though the difficulty hasn't ramped up yet. Trying my best to get an idea of what is around. Going to have to call it soon though. School is getting in the way.

Edit: Couldn't help but play a bit more. Decided to try and find the next shelter and succeeded thanks to some of the observers pointing me in the general direction of the next one. Got to it just as the rain started to fall. Haven't died yet though I had a couple of closeish calls. Don't know if it's my playstyle, luck, or a bit of both but this really doesn't seem too difficult so far. I'm hoping I'll eat those words soon.

Wtf, a lizard just carried me for like 3 minutes, but when he got attacked the slugcat got free and was still alive?!

I mean I totally blew it and died a few minutes later because I had no idea where I was but still.

ymgve

Has the dev explained why he picked 40hz for the physics/game logic? Seems like an odd choice since it won't be evenly divisible when running at a 60hz display, which is like 99% of devices out there.

bounchfx

I expect this to be niche as fuck. I was really pumped for it, but then after trying it at GDC it... just felt bland. Not for me at least. :(

bender

What time is it?
Played for a few hours The animation work is outstanding. Not loving the controls yet, especially the long jump, but maybe they'll grow on me.. Movement just isn't fluid enough for my liking and I think that has a lot to do with standing vs crouching and letting you enter pipes backwards. I think I understand the decision for holding up to grab ledges but boy do I find myself making the same traversal mistakes and having to re-climb the room to re-attempt jumps. The decision to allow you to enter dead-end pipes is frustrating. I quit after glitching through a platform and having my character get stuck in a hanging animation after a long jump. I'm not sure where my feelings will end up on this but that Limbo comparison that one reviewer mentioned seems really odd.

fake edit: they need to speed up the animation for the door opening to the safe room.

I'm surprised the difficulty and control issues were not picked up during play testing.

I'm assuming this was play tested by people other than the developers.

Crispy75

I'm surprised the difficulty and control issues were not picked up during play testing.

I'm assuming this was play tested by people other than the developers.

It was playtested quite a bit once it had a publisher. You can thank this testing for the hint text and the helper hologram.

Has the dev explained why he picked 40hz for the physics/game logic? Seems like an odd choice since it won't be evenly divisible when running at a 60hz display, which is like 99% of devices out there.
My guess is that it was initially at 60Hz but they slowed it down to make things easier. One quick change rather than having to re-balance every object in the physics world.

It was playtested quite a bit once it had a publisher. You can thank this testing for the hint text and the helper hologram.
Great news

Joco

I've had my eye on this game for a while now, although have not yet played it. The difficulty is somewhat concerning, as I love everything I've seen from the setting to the slugcat to the variety of enemies. How does this compare to Hollow Knight in that regard (if they're comparable at all)? Because that's the other platformer I was really looking forward to, only to find it pretty challenging, which resulted in it being put on the back burner as I go through Horizon.

Top Bottom