• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

OG Kush

The problem is Ubisoft never wants to go back on an Operator change they put real development time into instead of just changing a few numerical values like most balance changes. The Pulse 'Quality of Life' upgrade was the biggest offender of this when they completely changed his gadget from 'pulsing' heartbeats to an active wallhack with 100% updated positioning. Pulse has never required the same level of play as before that and it killed all strategy and nuance to good Pulse plays when you could easily preaim exactly where the enemy is. That upgrade completely broke Pulse for almost an entire season and they never reverted it, only putting a bandaid on by lowering the gadget distance a couple months later.

This new Glaz scope is the same thing. They put dev work/time into making this thermal vision scope and publicized it on twitter and stuff like that. It ruined the meta of an entire pro league season and made the last couple months completely revolve around Glaz because of how overpowered it is. And now instead of just reverting the thermal scope or changing it in any way, their bandaid solution is to tweak his gun values and take smokes off of Thermite and Ash and put them on Jackal and Fuze.

It just doesn't make sense. Firstly, Ash is already a ridiculous entry fragger and having stun grenades now is making her even better at that. Smoke grenades were perfect for Thermite as a support operator and now he has Stuns which have never matched his playstyle (similar to them giving Frag grenades to IQ as a 'quick fix' to make her more powerful). The easy solution here was to take away Glaz's smokes so he would have to rely on teammates to smoke push, but instead they did this convoluted mess.

*slow claps*

KodaRuss

The problem is Ubisoft never wants to go back on an Operator change they put real development time into instead of just changing a few numerical values like most balance changes. The Pulse 'Quality of Life' upgrade was the biggest offender of this when they completely changed his gadget from 'pulsing' heartbeats to an active wallhack with 100% updated positioning. Pulse has never required the same level of play as before that and it killed all strategy and nuance to good Pulse plays when you could easily preaim exactly where the enemy is. That upgrade completely broke Pulse for almost an entire season and they never reverted it, only putting a bandaid on by lowering the gadget distance a couple months later.

This new Glaz scope is the same thing. They put dev work/time into making this thermal vision scope and publicized it on twitter and stuff like that. It ruined the meta of an entire pro league season and made the last couple months completely revolve around Glaz because of how overpowered it is. And now instead of just reverting the thermal scope or changing it in any way, their bandaid solution is to tweak his gun values and take smokes off of Thermite and Ash and put them on Jackal and Fuze.

It just doesn't make sense. Firstly, Ash is already a ridiculous entry fragger and having stun grenades now is making her even better at that. Smoke grenades were perfect for Thermite as a support operator and now he has Stuns which have never matched his playstyle (similar to them giving Frag grenades to IQ as a 'quick fix' to make her more powerful). The easy solution here was to take away Glaz's smokes so he would have to rely on teammates to smoke push, but instead they did this convoluted mess.

Agreed and what a lot of people are saying. Glaz is too powerful so you took away Thermite and Ash's smokes?

DQDQDQ

I think they just really like taking gadgets away from Thermite. There's only five options total right? And this will be the third different one removed from Thermite.

Bring back breach charges and frags. Make Thermite great again!

OG Kush

When bartlett university was released I was happy and excited, but people here weren't that fond of it.

Over time I have come to dislike it. I'm not sure exactly why though. But I dread playing on it. Has anyone got an analysis of the map that explains this?

Auctopus

When bartlett university was released I was happy and excited, but people here weren't that fond of it.

Over time I have come to dislike it. I'm not sure exactly why though. But I dread playing on it. Has anyone got an analysis of the map that explains this?

Not a real analysis but...

• It was never designed for multiplayer, especially modes that aren't Bomb.
  • It was designed to be filled with near opaque smoke. (Sightlines and angles pretty uninspired)
  • It was designed for the player to go from room to room clearing out AI. I.e. very basic gameplay

It lacks the dynamics of some of the other maps and usually just relies on player winning gunfights which makes the gameplay sort of stale. None of the rooms are designed to be "Objective rooms" persay which is why Operators who have gadgets that strengthen OBJ like Bandit and Mira don't really reach their full potential and Operators like Blackbeard and Ash are the ones that dominate due to their superior guns.

HariKari

Yacht and Favela are my kryptonite. If I could never play them again, I'd be happy. I find that teams either put up a stiff resistance or crumple in an instant, there's no real middle ground. Border also has some really shitty "hold this window or lose" objectives that I'm not a fan of.

I'd personally like to see more house sized/styled maps that aren't a complete clusterfuck of angles inside. They've made a lot of maps where you have limited entry options but once you're inside, it's just a maze of potential death. I like maps with fewer unbreakable walls on the ouside, or at least enough distance and common sense arrangement to still be fun like Kafe.

CrayToes

I'd happily play Yacht & Favela on a never ending loop if it meant never having to play Skyscraper or Bartlett ever again. Those maps are irrefutably awful.

KodaRuss

I think they just really like taking gadgets away from Thermite. There's only five options total right? And this will be the third different one removed from Thermite.

Bring back breach charges and frags. Make Thermite great again!

I like that he has Claymores, breaching charges would be slightly redundant. He is my most played operator and as a fellow Texan I agree that he needs frags back.

OG Kush

Not a real analysis but...

• It was never designed for multiplayer, especially modes that aren't Bomb.
  • It was designed to be filled with near opaque smoke. (Sightlines and angles pretty uninspired)
  • It was designed for the player to go from room to room clearing out AI. I.e. very basic gameplay

It lacks the dynamics of some of the other maps and usually just relies on player winning gunfights which makes the gameplay sort of stale. None of the rooms are designed to be "Objective rooms" persay which is why Operators who have gadgets that strengthen OBJ like Bandit and Mira don't really reach their full potential and Operators like Blackbeard and Ash are the ones that dominate due to their superior guns.

Yeah, thanks for this. The flow and set up of the map is just off.

Now that its been out a while, what's everyone's view on Coastline?

I would like it if defenders rushing out and killing attackers from every which way was toned down. That map really suffers heavily from the delayed notification that defenders are outside, especially on certain defense locations.

And it has way too many ways to peek outside. With the shorter attack time, it can be absolutely frustrating to play at times.

andycapps

I'd happily play Yacht & Favela on a never ending loop if it meant never having to play Skyscraper or Bartlett ever again. Those maps are irrefutably awful.

I like Skyscraper. It's a better version of House. Bartlett is awful. Below Plane and Yacht.

Coastline is okay. Bartlett is the worst map they've done.

Sh1ner

I agree with this assessment.
Pulse real time updates should be switched for something x seconds update. Probably a value before prework and real time instead of the horrible distance nerf.

KodaRuss

I kinda hope Ubisoft does something regarding Siege during their E3 presentation. I doubt it but I think it would be cool to be surprised. Maybe have a bunch of smoke grenades get thrown on stage and Glaz just snipes everyone in the front row.

Auctopus

I kinda hope Ubisoft does something regarding Siege during their E3 presentation. I doubt it but I think it would be cool to be surprised. Maybe have a bunch of smoke grenades get thrown on stage and Glaz just snipes everyone in the front row.

I was saying this.

I think they could easily show a trailer for Hong Kong Operators/Map.

They probably won't - it feels disconnected to the rest of the Ubisoft library.

KodaRuss

I was saying this.

I think they could easily show a trailer for Hong Kong Operators/Map.

They probably won't - it feels disconnected to the rest of the Ubisoft library.

Yeah, its kinda frustrating. Almost no marketing push and the Siege game/team just seem like an after thought at Ubi

Might be a good thing though considering how many of their games have been pushed hard and fallen flat. (The Division, For Honor, Watch Dogs)

It's just poorly designed and favours defenders heavily since there's lots of peak potential and only one viable entrance to enter from and make a push to the objective from.
Still rather play that than Flavela though. Same issues but in reverse, poorly designed with too many viable attacker entrances and extremely favours attackers.

One thing for Bart Uni though is that with Mira, a couple impact grenades and a shotgun. You can set up in the upper library and create a sight line all the way through to the model hall and even through the offices. It's a ridiculously powerful strat that then allows one person to lock down almost the entire top floor of the building.

I literally cannot believe they are fixing Kapkan's traps. He's my favorite defender, but I never pick him because I get frustrated trying to put the traps up in time.

You mean being able to put his traps at ankle height again? Thank god that's being fixed...

Rickenslacker mentioned it on the last page. It's the first I've heard of it, so I don't actually know what the solution is. I gave up playing him because I found it too hard to reinforce 2 walls and still have time to pixel hunt 3 door jambs to get the traps up in time. He's such a good defender otherwise so I can't wait.

HariKari

Rickenslacker mentioned it on the last page. It's the first I've heard of it, so I don't actually know what the solution is. I gave up playing him because I found it too hard to reinforce 2 walls and still have time to pixel hunt 3 door jambs to get the traps up in time. He's such a good defender otherwise so I can't wait.

Kapkan should get 2 more traps IMO, they're easy enough to see if you are playing smart. Really, they are speedbumps like barbed wire and they'll occasionally come into play during a time running out situation. The Saiga is awful as well, he needs some love overall.

Doc's heal should also heal more to make taking him more worth it over Rook.

nOoblet16

I wonder when they'll fix that bug that prevents you from placing a mute charge and I think Frost traps as well at the window in Geisha room.

The first health patch on PC seems pretty good. Of course PC probably wasn't the biggest problem going in. Aside from the "Action Completed" Ubisoft Club spam I didn't really have any technical issues.

I'm not sure it's going to solve all of my console issues. It sounds like the dedicated services aren't in yet and I am pretty sure stupid NAT stuff has been causing the majority of our matchmaking problems on Xbox.

The Geisha thing is on the known issues at least. as is the blue screen of Xbox doom. Well, at least one of them. They mention the blue screen + window, but not the epileptic murderer flashy blue screen of despair.

nOoblet16

The one thing I hope they do in future (won't happen with Operation health) is completely revamp how the item selection menu works. It's annoying to have to go through all those tabs, more so because they take time to open up and close. Should take a note out of games like COD and keep the attachment selection and confirmation simple and elegant.

Atleast with Operation health they are allowing us to do loadouts changes during matchmaking, so that's something.

andycapps

The first health patch on PC seems pretty good. Of course PC probably wasn't the biggest problem going in. Aside from the "Action Completed" Ubisoft Club spam I didn't really have any technical issues.

I'm not sure it's going to solve all of my console issues. It sounds like the dedicated services aren't in yet and I am pretty sure stupid NAT stuff has been causing the majority of our matchmaking problems on Xbox.

The Geisha thing is on the known issues at least. as is the blue screen of Xbox doom. Well, at least one of them. They mention the blue screen + window, but not the epileptic murderer flashy blue screen of despair.
Isn't Geisha room fixed in the new patch? I know it's not out yet on Xbox.

Fevaweva

Man this game is great. If only I could actually win at least once. Swear to God, I played with the same team of randomers for like 90 mins straight and we didn't win a single match. It makes me sad.

Man this game is great. If only I could actually win at least once. Swear to God, I played with the same team of randomers for like 90 mins straight and we didn't win a single match. It makes me sad.
Have you tried ditching the randoms you lose with, and sticking with the ones you win with?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
e0gqv7cm3z2z.gif

Tomorrow.

KodaRuss

I literally cannot believe they are fixing Kapkan's traps. He's my favorite defender, but I never pick him because I get frustrated trying to put the traps up in time.

After completing the Russian challenge this week, I agree. Glad to see they are finally addressing it. The number of Kapkan Trap kills i have seen this week is hilarious.

Siege must be having some sort of presence at E3. All the "influencers" are there.

Where are you seeing that? Macie/Serenity/Matimo?

Auctopus

I was about to say they'll probably have Siege booths on the showfloor but I can't imagine anything worse than trying to play Siege with a bunch of strangers whilst loud music and t-shirt cannons go off in the background.

Maybe we'll get a trailer, I think that's the maximum anyone should expect.

KodaRuss

I was about to say they'll probably have Siege booths on the showfloor but I can't imagine anything worse than trying to play Siege with a bunch of strangers whilst loud music and t-shirt cannons go off in the background.

Maybe we'll get a trailer, I think that's the maximum anyone should expect.

I bet they will just comment on how the game is doing and maybe show some of the Pro League stuff.

recently purchased the game and been having a ton of fun for the small time i've played. playing pretty well too.

Any tips for a beginner though? Operators, guns, tactics, anything is appreciated!

KodaRuss

recently purchased the game and been having a ton of fun for the small time i've played. playing pretty well too.

Any tips for a beginner though? Operators, guns, tactics, anything is appreciated!

-Put a grip on every gun you plan on using.

-Know that when you are running and walking you are making a lot of sound and good players probably will now where you are coming from.

-Learn the maps, this is the most important part in the game.

-Play through the situations and watch the training videos for renown to unlock more operators/gear.

Good Operators to Start with
Defense
Rook
Kapkan
Mute

Offense
Sledge
Ash (just dont use the breaching charge on the first window you see, you can shoot them out just as easily)
Fuze (NEVER Pick Fuze in a Hostage situation though)

-Put a grip on every gun you plan on using.

-Know that when you are running and walking you are making a lot of sound and good players probably will now where you are coming from.

-Learn the maps, this is the most important part in the game.

-Play through the situations and watch the training videos for renown to unlock more operators/gear.

Defense
Rook
Kapkan
Mute

Offense
Sledge
Ash (just dont use the breaching charge on the first window you see, you can shoot them out just as easily)

i've been pretty good with using grips! i'm assuming silencers are a great idea as well? I know sound plays a big part in this game.

i dont know for sure every operators i own but i do know i own Ash, Fuze, Kapkan and i think the other one is Jaeger? I tend to use Ash and Jaeger the most. I own maybe one or two others. Why not use Fuze for hostage?

HariKari

Defense
Rook
Kapkan
Mute

Offense
Sledge

Kapkan's gadget isn't easy to use and Mute requires map knowledge more than you'd think. I'd recommend Rook for sure, Doc as well, with probably Smoke as the top 3 "easiest" to use as far as not hurting your team. Just don't gas teammates or the hostage.

i've been pretty good with using grips! i'm assuming silencers are a great idea as well? I know sound plays a big part in this game.

i dont know for sure every operators i own but i do know i own Ash, Fuze, Kapkan and i think the other one is Jaeger? I tend to use Ash and Jaeger the most. I own maybe one or two others. Why not use Fuze for hostage?

Fuze's gadget kills the hostage

Jaeger is an important operator for more experienced players, with the best defensive gun and a pretty important gadget.

Silencers are generally not worth the damage reduction, especially for defense. They only make sense with a few operators.

Disgraced

Is Operation Health making an appearance at E3? :p
Yeah, I'm hoping there's a little more than a nod, since the game is actually sort of a big deal, and it should be treated as such. But I dunno, most of the news is delivered through the pro league.

Would be terrific if they talked up the game for a minute and announced that big batch of uniforms everyone is eager for. Fat chance, unfortunately.

I disagree with Mute being a good choice for rookies honestly, you need to know the best spots to place the jammers and quickly. Rook is a much better choice.

Top Bottom