• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

IQ has her uses as a hard counter to Pulse and Valkyrie, but that's about it. I don't think she needs a buff though, she's fine as a situational pick. That's something that I think the community and the developers need to understand that some operators are okay being situational picks.

For instance, Smoke is a mainstay of the defence team at higher level play, but it's also common for Echo to take his place situationally.
Thatcher or Twitch will usually get played over IQ at high level play, but IQ does get rotated in often to counter known quantities such a Pulse and/or Valkyrie cameras.

For playing ranked though? Give me Thatch, let me throw all 3 EMPS in the first minute then rush through the back line defenders with one of the best rifles in the game.

The God

But realistically, how useful is telling your team not to push a certain way? You're not all going to be sticking together, and most often, players are droning out their routes.

I don't find that IQ is a better pick with those creative circumstances. This happens every time where a defender is released and everyone thinks IQ is going to be useful.

What ends up happening is that the meta sits, and those operators end up being countered just fine without IQ.

Take Valk cams for example. Having IQ walk around with her gadget indoors is just a really dumb way to end up getting killed by a roamer. Instead, a drone does the job much better. Even with Ela mines or Valk, they are very easily identifiable.

Simply knowing these traps exist isn't useful if IQ can't really interact with them. Yeah, grenades can be thrown, but it comes off as a weak way to improve her, especially when it came at the cost of hurting Capitao. It's a band aid solution.

On paper, IQ always sounds like she's going to be important. Then when it comes to the execution, she always manages to fall off because Thatcher can EMP the most critical locations.

When it comes to alternative routes, especially with Lesion's invisibility traps, Im not finding they pose much of a problem, as operators like Fuze, and Twitch can often end up clearing minor traps.

Once Lesion and Ela are not picked for their novelty, IQ will once again go back to being a poorer version of Thatcher and Twitch.

They could remove her from the game along with Tachanka, and nothing will really change.

We'll have to agree to disagree on her usefulness, but your points about her importance to the game applies to a lot of the roster. There's no room for everyone to be must-picks (especially with Ubi's plans for 50 minimum operators). Lots are going to be situational, like Castle, Buck, Jackal, etc and that's okay

I get the most enjoyment in this game from trying to utilize less-commonly picked Operators. Mute and Castle are my favorite Defenders and Twitch and Blitz are my favorite Attackers, and it seems like in every match they are wide open for the taking.

Castle especially is a tough operator to use well- occasionally I lock one of my roamers out of an objective, but what are you gonna do?

We'll have to agree to disagree on her usefulness, but your points about her importance to the game applies to a lot of the roster. There's no room for everyone to be must-picks (especially with Ubi's plans for 50 minimum operators). Lots are going to be situational, like Castle, Buck, Jackal, etc and that's okay

Fair enough, but my point isn't that everyone should be must-picks. I simply don't think IQ's gadget is useful or fun to use.

I wouldn't say she's anything close to being like Castle, Buck or Jackal. All 3 of those operators aren't necessary picks, but they absolutely have a useful or unique gadget ability. When people pick them, their gadget is used. Though Ive always thought Buck was redundant and overlapped too much with Sledge.

Fair enough, but my point isn't that everyone should be must-picks. I simply don't think IQ's gadget is useful or fun to use.

I wouldn't say she's anything close to being like Castle, Buck or Jackal. All 3 of those operators aren't necessary picks, but they absolutely have a useful or unique gadget ability. When people pick them, their gadget is used. Though Ive always thought Buck was redundant and overlapped too much with Sledge.

I've always took Buck for more vertical play and Sledge for horizontal, problem mainly is that Sledge is just Buck but better. Better guns, better gadget for breaching too as the hammer clears out castle barricades and barb wire, whereas Buck would need to nade or melee them.

I've always took Buck for more vertical play and Sledge for horizontal, problem mainly is that Sledge is just Buck but better. Better guns, better gadget for breaching too as the hammer clears out castle barricades and barb wire, whereas Buck would need to nade or melee them.

Yeah.

I really don't understand why Buck is in the game to be honest. With Hibana and Thermite, there is at least a good reason for Hibana existing.

I don't recall his shotgun being useful on enemies, but maybe Im mistaken. That alone would make him a versatile killer. I think I tried a few times to kill enemies at close range, but its never worked out.

Buck had some uses... the shotgun was much better at opening up big long walls. Not really relevant anymore, but turning Favela yellow building into swiss cheese was a personal favorite. And of course he is more useful for attacking from below, say from under tea room or under armory lockers on border to get rid of Bandit.

I wonder what the year 3 plan is going to be. They talk up this massive operator roster but 8 a year doesn't get us to 100 anytime soon. I'm assuming fewer maps and more operators going forward.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what the year 3 plan is going to be. They talk up this massive operator roster but 8 a year doesn't get us to 100 anytime soon. I'm assuming fewer maps and more operators going forward.

I think the current rate is fine - in fact I'd argue that we should get more than just one map per season.

Buck had some uses... the shotgun was much better at opening up big long walls. Not really relevant anymore, but turning Favela yellow building into swiss cheese was a personal favorite. And of course he is more useful for attacking from below, say from under tea room or under armory lockers on border to get rid of Bandit.

Ahh true, Buck can open up entire floors, as risky as it can be. Pretty good on House bedroom too.

Oh, Siege plans to be around for a LONG time. Im talking Year 4, or Year 5.

I think they can get away with it. It's Games as a Service, after all. Assuming they can just as well port the game over to next gen as well.

I think I've witnessed the skill curve on PC that exceeds anything I've seen from playing diamonds on PS4.

Lean peeking, accurately. Like Noted levels of mechanical skill.
Quick sprinting in and out of prone to peek corners at unpredictable angles.

Played a few games against people doing this kinda shit last night and I'm not ashamed to admit I deranked afterwards.

manhack

I think I've witnessed the skill curve on PC that exceeds anything I've seen from playing diamonds on PS4.

Played a few games against people doing this kinda shit last night and I'm not ashamed to admit I deranked afterwards.

Yeah the skill gaps at higher levels on PC are pretty insane. Plat-> Diamond -> Pro-league are huge differences.

Jarrod38

Just got kicked from a game since I was the last one alive on my team. Vote to kick should be disable if your the last one alive on your team.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QF72f4Bm7PfbWeSWbl8R8uL0mOzXpG_1vOjqEjXcFGk/edit#gid=0

I don't think that was ever any doubt, but this pretty much confirms that the FAMAS is the best AR in the game. 112ms time to kill over three bullets on 1 and 2 armour defenders. 184ms TTK on 3 armour defenders, Rook armour doesn't change it either.
The MK17 CQB (Blackbeard) has the slowest TTK for an AR at 205ms, but Glaz's QTs 03 has the slowest TTK for any attacker at 267ms

Jager's 416-C has a faster TTK than Ela's Scorpion Evo, as does the 9x19 VSN.
The SMG-11 has the fastest TTK for an SMG at 142ms.
The P90 has the slowest TTK of all the the SMG's at 247ms.

well after having some awful games, getting paired with some awful teammates, having my sensitivity settings wiped cleaned, and getting ranked bronze 2 for my efforts in the first ten ranked matches i am now at gold 4, it's been an uphill battle for sure - all the way from copper 4!!!! never thought id be back at gold this season but here i am, still early in the season though

andycapps

The quick leans are something I haven't mastered yet. Agree that the skill gap is very defined on PC.

The quick leans are something I haven't mastered yet. Agree that the skill gap is very defined on PC.

I kinda think that's a thing they should patch out, given how peeker's advantage in Siege is so exploitable already, the quick lean by animation cancelling one direction into the other just seems iffy to me. Though maybe I'm just salty about it.

Fury451

Banned
How does one kill what has no hitbox.

She has a hit box, it's the lens glare on her sunglasses.

Shoot at that, and she'll be down at least 1/4 health.

Additionally, I hate the new meta. We now have 5 Ash's on defense, 4 with the best defender weapons and the 5th with the ability to run silent. Along with no piss filter and the two second delay, Attackers can just get fucked everytime I guess.

Granted it's not that different from the old matter, but it's really taking away from what I like about the game.

She has a hit box, it's the lens glare on her sunglasses.

Shoot at that, and she'll be down at least 1/4 health.

Additionally, I hate the new meta. We now have 5 Ash's on defense, 4 with the best defender weapons and the 5th with the ability to run silent. Along with no piss filter and the two second delay, Attackers can just get fucked everytime I guess.

Granted it's not that different from the old matter, but it's really taking away from what I like about the game.

No piss filter has to be one of the dumbest changes Ubi has made to the game. I have no idea why the did it and I don't remotely understand the reasoning behind it.

With some of the other bullshit that prevades the game (high ping advantage for example), this is the last thing I need for a high ping Jager to not have to worry about.

Shrunken map pool is garbage. And now every Bank game has morons glitching it. And for some reason on Consulate same thing, even though it didn't look like the floor glitch was even that good on it. Teammates kept doing it, mostly just falling off the map, and sabotaged what should have been a comfortable win into a frustrating loss.

Bring back ALL THE FUCKING MAPS. And REMOVE THE MAPS WITH EXPLOITS UNTIL YOU FUCKING FIX THEM UBI.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to get the older Pro League skins? I'm looking for Frosts but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere - I have the non-steam version of Siege.

Is there any way to get the older Pro League skins? I'm looking for Frosts but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere - I have the non-steam version of Siege.

I don't think so; pretty sure all you could really do is buy someone's old account :p seen people sell there's. Personally, I think they look pretty damn tacky.

tomhan

So I've been playing for about a month now and I have to say this is the most fun with FPS I've had in a real long time. I've unlocked all the original operators and I think I'm just going to pay to unlock all of season 1's operators now.

Is there currently any way to buy all the season 1 operators in a bundle or do I just need to buy points with real money and unlock each one separately for 600 points?

I'm new to pc from console, @ gold 1 atm so I haven't encountered too much of what you describe yet, I'll be happy with plat with this being my first season on PC and first fps in years :p

I've been trying to quick lean more and more, I think having lean on toggle makes it easier for me! Might have to rebind prone if I wanted to utilise it more though haha.

The only thing I don't think i'll ever be able to transition into is the low DPI with the kixstar multiplier, been a wrist guy for too long to become an arm mover now heh.

So I've been playing for about a month now and I have to say this is the most fun with FPS I've had in a real long time. I've unlocked all the original operators and I think I'm just going to pay to unlock all of season 1's operators now.

Is there currently any way to buy all the season 1 operators in a bundle or do I just need to buy points with real money and unlock each one separately for 600 points?

I'm pretty sure it's either credits, or buy the complete edition to begin with, I managed to get it for £40 and it includes s1 & s2 - With the free 1 day renown I was able to get all original ops in about a week, just saving for some universal skins now!

I'm new to pc from console, @ gold 1 atm so I haven't encountered too much of what you describe yet, I'll be happy with plat with this being my first season on PC and first fps in years :p

I've been trying to quick lean more and more, I think having lean on toggle makes it easier for me! Might have to rebind prone if I wanted to utilise it more though haha.

The only thing I don't think i'll ever be able to transition into is the low DPI with the kixstar multiplier, been a wrist guy for too long to become an arm mover now heh.

I like having prone bound to one of my mouse buttons, feels more comfortable like that to me.
I'm not about that low DPI life either, at least not 400DPI low. Used 800 on my old laser mouse, had to go up to 1000 on my new Rival 310 (great mouse btw).

Though to be honest, I've always found people put far too much thought into sensitivity settings. The best sensitivity is always the one you've used for the longest time because that's the one you're most adjusted to.
I played with some guys on PS4 that'd change their stick sensitivity every other week and then play like shit for a few days because they weren't used to it.

I like having prone bound to one of my mouse buttons, feels more comfortable like that to me.
I'm not about that low DPI life either, at least not 400DPI low. Used 800 on my old laser mouse, had to go up to 1000 on my new Rival 310 (great mouse btw).

Though to be honest, I've always found people put far too much thought into sensitivity settings. The best sensitivity is always the one you've used for the longest time because that's the one you're most adjusted to.
I played with some guys on PS4 that'd change their stick sensitivity every other week and then play like shit for a few days because they weren't used to it.

On my Death Adder I've set prone to the furthest forward button, with crouch on the other, I might try switching them around as my thumb rests on the back button far more naturally; A bit hypocritical though as I hate fighting drop shotters :p I had a go of the 310 in a shop and it felt really nice, I'm definitely a fan of the smaller mice now; looking to try out a zowie FK2 for my next :)

I definitely agree with you about the sens, I've been lowering it gradually to see what it's like. I just really liked the reasoning behind setting it so low; not worth playing like crap though hah.

On my Death Adder I've set prone to the furthest forward button, with crouch on the other, I might try switching them around as my thumb rests on the back button far more naturally; A bit hypocritical though as I hate fighting drop shotters :p I had a go of the 310 in a shop and it felt really nice, I'm definitely a fan of the smaller mice now; looking to try out a zowie FK2 for my next :)

I definitely agree with you about the sens, I've been lowering it gradually to see what it's like. I just really liked the reasoning behind setting it so low; not worth playing like crap though hah.

Yeah I get the reasoning behind it and all that, but on average it'll always come down to player preference and their existing muscle memory. What's your uplay anyway? I'll add you on PC and we can duo smash through some ranked.

Shrunken map pool is garbage. And now every Bank game has morons glitching it. And for some reason on Consulate same thing, even though it didn't look like the floor glitch was even that good on it. Teammates kept doing it, mostly just falling off the map, and sabotaged what should have been a comfortable win into a frustrating loss.

Bring back ALL THE FUCKING MAPS. And REMOVE THE MAPS WITH EXPLOITS UNTIL YOU FUCKING FIX THEM UBI.

Yep.

I play at least five times a week, a few hours each session. It gets fucking old playing the same ten maps.

It's also amazing how this game still has issues with people dropping and certain glitches/bugs.

Still one of the best games I've ever played though lol.

Nope, not just you. Two new top tier trap defenders. Dropped alongside a middling attacker who doesn't even generally get picked in the average plat ranked game a couple of weeks into the season.

I think it only kind of makes sense for bomb since you have two sites but even then it feels like a bit much. In secure area and hostage it's just dumb.

On Coastline I tried to push into penthouse from bathroom as Glaz, as they were weren't really defending the site. We had burned down all the Jaeger devices and blew shit up with Fuze charges from the window and smoked out the area to challenge. But it didn't matter. Ela on site. Chucks her four better- than-actual-flashbangs concussion mines as flashbangs and I'm easily cleaned up with blind fire into smoke while I can barely move.

The problem isn't just that they're traps. The problem is they can be used as a straight up attacking tool... or maybe in the case of Gu, as they're not that hard to shoot if they throw them in your sight, are at the very least highly dynamic.

Kapkan and Frost traps can't be quickly repositioned like that. Whereas these new two can use traps, keep more in reserve, and toss them out after EMP and Fuze waves like nothing.

I appreciate the game isn't a straight up team deathmatch, and attackers and defenders play differently.

Aside from actually kind of liking the new map, I think they've done a completely shitty job the last six months. Operation Health fixed some bugs, and left serious issues in place. Blood Orchid has brought the glitches back to pre-Health levels, so it feels all for nothing. And they took out maps and made the meta unfun. Running into Gu traps aren't fun. Getting hit by a concussion mine tucked away in a spot you never have a chance of shooting it isn't fun.

Oh and christ, I didn't even mention the worst part of the new trappers. The outdoor traps. Like come the fuck on. Like really? I need to strain my eyes every round looking for fucking cloaked mines on outdoor balconies?

After the games I had yesterday I was more than content to just grind on Destiny 2 all day today. And that just shouldn't happen.

hopefully they get nerfed soon, imo lesion should have a max of 3 traps but the traps should take longer to remove and remove the cloak ffs, ela should also have a max of 3 traps but they should not disable your sprinting ability

way too many traps and not enough operators to counter those traps, plus the attacking operators have to work much harder to disable traps than the defenders have to work to place traps, the game is getting way too unbalanced

at this point if you don't run thatcher every match you don't know what you're doing

The big pain with them is that even if I know it's on a window I can't vault over it unlike a Frost trap because there's no way I'm gonna be able to vault and shoot an invisible thing or a mine directly above a window frame as I'm getting in. Kapkan is slow, has three traps, they are clearly visible if looked for, can be taken out by anyone, and are a bit finicky to place. Ela can just toss 'em willy nilly and have one in reserve along with being 3 speed and having an amazing gun, with Lesion I just don't know how they expect it to be dealt with without Thatcher or IQ being mandatory.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind the volume of the traps, but the way they can be used as grenades makes it very difficult to match up against Ela.

Increase the activation time so that it's far less effective to be used as an offensive tool. I don't mind her dropping them and running back, but when she's rushing you and tossing them at your face, its ridiculous.

i get the feeling that prolonging this game's life by adding new characters that change the meta of this game is a really bad idea, balancing a game is hard enough as it is but imagine having to balance a game every few months, it's practically impossible , in the past they did a fine job giving new operators weaknesses, but these new defenders don't have any weaknesses

i've only played counter strike a few times but i don't think they rely on these types of gimmicks to keep the community active, or do they???

if not, ubisoft should take some pointers from counter strike and just leave the game as is, add new maps, skins, and weapons, but don't just keep adding special abilities just for the sake of it, balance is key and right now there is no balance

jkupper

Neo Member
but don't just keep adding special abilities just for the sake of it, balance is key and right now there is no balance

Yea I do think the new operators are kind of annoying. But wanted to comment on this they didnt choose this meta at random these operators are due to so many people complaining about 3 speed operators.

There were daily threads on reddit complaining about "ash rushes" so the devs decided to combat that.

The new operators do need a bit of a rework. Maybe make Ela's mines be thrown like c4 as opposed to grenades.

Fury451

Banned
Yea I do think the new operators are kind of annoying. But wanted to comment on this they didnt choose this meta at random these operators are due to so many people complaining about 3 speed operators.

There were daily threads on reddit complaining about "ash rushes" so the devs decided to combat that.

The new operators do need a bit of a rework. Maybe make Ela's mines be thrown like c4 as opposed to grenades.

The problem is they have countered essentially one overly annoying attacker character by empowering most of the defense to be just as bad as her. There are multiple fast attackers with great guns, but she's the one that's most frequently in the rotation, and honestly I found that the traps really don't even do that much to counter the speed.

Because of the ability to rush outside for two seconds without vision consequences, I'm routinely getting killed by people pulling ridiculously risky rushes now more than ever.

I rarely see a team now that doesn't have Jager, Ela, Bandit, and Cav, usually with a Frost too. Four of those can blitz like the wind with overwhelming fire power for defenders and completely screw any attacker approach, even when you're careful.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Patch notes -

this one's great
Ela
Fixed – Ela's eyes are very wide open on the MVP screen, facial animation is exaggerated. While Ela has definitely seen some ****, she is coming to terms with it.

New TTS:

Kapkan Buff:

2 armor / 2 speed (previously 3 armor / 1 speed)

5 traps (up from 3)

Trap lasers are invisible. Kapkan traps do not insta-kill anymore, do about 40 damage

Blitz is now faster with his shield up

Added predictable recoil

You can give defenders as many traps as you like Ubi, but Ash is still going to be a 5 speed rush god that wrecks shit with the current servers/netcode.

New TTS:

Kapkan Buff:

2 armor / 2 speed (previously 3 armor / 1 speed)

5 traps (up from 3)

Trap lasers are invisible. Kapkan traps do not insta-kill anymore, do about 40 damage

Blitz is now faster with his shield up

Added predictable recoil

Yay, more invisible mines.

Just some quick math, but if a team did go full trap sqaud then means they'll be 19 conventional traps, and either 3 Smoke grenades or 1 Echo drone floating around.

HiiiLife

It's been so long since I've played this game. Barely played the Brazil dlc.

Reading through these pages, holy shit so many changes.

Top Bottom