• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

L-O-L. If they put it out in full force it may well be the change be the change that finally nudges me over the edge and out. My interest waned and withered over the course of Op Health then resurged when Blood Orchid landed, only to rapidly wane again now. Fuckin' A man.

I mean, I don't even get why they want perfectly predictable recoil. Who cares if theres some RNG?

Disgraced

I mean, I don't even get why they want perfectly predictable recoil. Who cares if theres some RNG?
For top fraggers eliminating that RNG means they can always directly engage and more than likely come out on top, and rely much less on outmanuevering and outsmarting their opponent. It means they can rely less on their teammates to watch their backs and apply additional pressure. It means they don't have outplay and outgun their opponent if they can simply outgunplay them.

Make no mistake: being the better shot is and should be an option in this game. It's the raw, bloody final option or even the option number two for the crackest of the crackshots. But this makes it an option too available and available to too many. And easily available and openly exploitable to fucking cheaters L-M-F-F-D-A-O. Laughing my fucking fucking dumbass off.

To answer your question specifically I think they're doing it because it's the easiest solution to the alignment issues and it appeases some vocal pros at the same time. Two birds with one stone; a "win-win" for the apparently perpetually undersourced and at this point I say partially incompetent Siege team.

For top fraggers eliminating that RNG means they can always directly engage and more than likely come out on top, and rely much less on outmanuevering and outsmarting their opponent. It means they can rely less on their teammates to watch their backs and apply additional pressure. It means they don't have outplay and outgun their opponent if they can simply outgunplay them.

Make no mistake: being the better shot is and should be an option in this game. It's the raw, bloody final option or even the option number two for the crackest of the crackshots. But this makes it an option too available and available to too many. And easily available and openly exploitable to fucking cheaters L-M-F-F-D-A-O. Laughing my fucking fucking dumbass off.

To answer your question specifically I think they're doing it because it's the easiest solution to the alignment issues and it appeases some vocal pros at the same time. Two birds with one stone; a "win-win" for the apparently perpetually undersourced and at this point I say partially incompetent Siege team.

I think you are over analzying the impact of predictable recoil vs. strategy way, way too much.

I have no idea how this is going to reduce strategy, in any noticeable way, at higher ranks and pro play. If Siege was a high TTK game, maybe strategy would be impacted. But as it stands, given the sheer speed at which you can die, I really do fail to see how and what tactics will be pushed down in favor of simply outgunning the opponent.

Maybe tactics will shift, given the larger consistency in recoil, but I don't see how they would get reduced in favor of outgunning the opponent. Peeks might change, the way attackers approach a building or objective might change but that seems completely fine to me.

Like, an alternative way to put it is basically: for top fraggers, before, sometimes they'd get a kill with a strategy and sometimes they wouldn't due to the recoil. Now, given the more consistent pattern, they are more than likely to get a kill using that strategy.

The strategy hasn't changed. And maybe this will force, for example, the defender to play differently rather than leaving his fate up to that RNG.

It really isn't when you get to the nitty gritty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd3zxFqClMA

Diagonals are bugged, dual zone is terrible, vsync is on in MP causing input lag, same with aim smoothing.

Devs are saying they will look into these things though.

Yet in spite of that, it still feels better than most FPS games on console.

Edit: Had a hilarious game on Consulate yesterday. Playing Glaz against some aggressive wannabes in casual that spawn peeked 3 of my team (they were all low level too), so I ended up taking two out that were peeking windows. Then started taunting them in text chat to keep peeking. Trash talk followed, but they kept peeking. Aced the round from outside the building. Clutched the next round with Kapkan, and finished off with another round of Glaz and finished something like 11-0. The salt from them was on another level.

I also never used a single smoke grenade. Played it like a straight up sniping simulator.

Disgraced

I have no idea how this is going to reduce strategy, in any noticeable way, at higher ranks and pro play.If Siege was a high TTK game, maybe strategy would be impacted. But as it stands, given the sheer speed at which you can die, I really do fail to see how and what tactics will be pushed down in favor of simply outgunning the opponent.
At pro level every other player if not every player is potentially a top fragger, so no, it might not change how much they need to strategize at that level. It will only be an additional convenience.

But for us peons? It's going to fuck shit up. It's going to be even more of a game for the dashers, rushers, and strafers and less for the thinkers. (And the meta was getting to a nice place too!) It's a subtle change that will make a big, bad impact. It futher dilutes the spirit of the game.

At pro level every other player if not every player is potentially a top fragger, so no, it might not change how much they need to strategize at that level. It will only be an additional convenience.

But for us peons? It's going to fuck shit up. It's going to be even more of a game for the dashers, rushers, and strafers and less for the thinkers. (And the meta was getting to a nice place too!) It's a subtle change that will make a big, bad impact. It futher dilutes the spirit of the game.

If thinkers are relying on a strategy that determines whether or not they die in a round on the RNG of the opponents weapon, then maybe they should think a bit harder because that doesn't sound very smart.

Disgraced

If thinkers are relying on a strategy that determines whether or not they die in a round on the RNG of the opponents weapon, then maybe they should think a bit harder because that doesn't sound very smart.
The chaos gives the weaker shots a chance.

This recoil change makes it easier for the dominators to dominate by making shootbanging more consistent and convenient which encourages more direct engagements. Direct engagements are something you should want to avoid in a tactical shooter. Call it motherfucking arcadey tactical shooter—I don't motherfucking care—but that's what it's sold as and plays like. A tactical shooter. And the "tactical" comes first in tactical shooter. Going straight up mano-a-mano should be a bad idea or risky plan or at least an unsafe maneuver in most cases. The guy with the real plan who made the real move and worked with his team should more likely win, not the guy with snap reflexes.

What the fuck ever happened to winning by playing O-B-motherfucking-J, boys and girls?

The chaos gives the weaker shots a chance.

This recoil change makes it easier for the dominators to dominate by making shootbanging more consistent and convenient which encourages more direct engagements. Direct engagements are something you should want to avoid in a tactical shooter. Call it motherfucking arcadey tactical shooter—I don't motherfucking care—but that's what it's sold as and plays like. A tactical shooter. And the "tactical" comes first in tactical shooter. Going straight up mano-a-mano should be a bad idea or risky plan or at least an unsafe maneuver in most cases. The guy with the real plan who made the real move and worked with his team should more likely win, not the guy with snap reflexes.

What the fuck ever happened to winning by playing O-B-motherfucking-J, boys and girls?

That's a whole lot of words to basically brush aside that the tactics you're defending must not be very good.

Disgraced

That's a whole lot of words to basically brush aside that the tactics you're defending must not be very good.
A lot of the same words—and to what? I'm not defending my own tactics if you're implying they're shit. Yeah, they're probably shit. I'm defending tactics being prevelant and more important than the shooting. I'm defending tactics prominently existing in a tactical shooter, god forbid. People out there—pros out there—lay and play good plans that work. It all falls smoothly and the cake's in the oven and then WHAM! NvK kills you all and eats your cake. Tough shit. It happens. But you have more strats and another good strat and that little fucker doesn't fool you twice. You win the match.

To reiterate... this change will make it more likely for that one round when that one guy went Super Saiyain to be two rounds. Hell, that patch already happened. So this will make it three. The next will make it four.

Where is the line drawn? When does the yang of shooting become too much more important than the yin? When is it just yang?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
A lot of the same words—and to what? I'm not defending my own tactics if you're implying they're shit. Yeah, they're probably shit. I'm defending tactics being prevelant and more important than the shooting. I'm defending tactics prominently existing in a tactical shooter, god forbid. People out there—pros out there—lay and play good plans that work. It all falls smoothly and the cake's in the oven and then WHAM! NvK kills you all and eats your cake. Tough shit. It happens. But you have more strats and another good strat and that little fucker doesn't fool you twice. You win the match.

To reiterate... this change will make it more likely for that one round when that one guy went Super Saiyain to be two rounds. Hell, that patch already happened. So this will make it three. The next will make it four.

Where is the line drawn? When does the yang of shooting become too much more important than the yin? When is it just yang?

So change your tactic to taking out the most dangerous guy first and not leaving yourself vulnerable to common flanking/peaking areas?

Disgraced

So change your tactic to taking out the most dangerous guy first and not leaving yourself vulnerable to common flanking/peaking areas?
You do whatever it takes. Get that guy's number and shut him down. That could be having everyone gun for him or a nuanced overwatch and fortification on and from where that guy likes to strike, if you can find it. My point is that good tacticians deserve to win more often than good shooters. That guy deserved to win that one round. But when you've pinned all the angles and it still comes down to him every time and he's three-speed strafing around you and flicking on you at the end all game—not flanking you—not surprising you—there's a problem. And it's not wholly with the players. *And it's a known, pervasive problem that occurs at all levels. And this recoil change makes it easier for it to occur.

I'm not calling your tactics shit. But like, your defending tactics that rely on the opponent basically losing out on an RNG check.

My entire argument is: those tactics aren't worth shit and are probably garbage.

Like I could stand infront of a window to peak attackers and rely on RNG to not kill me, but that doesn't make the strategy a good one.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
You do whatever it takes. Get that guy's number and shut him down. That could be having everyone gun for him or a nuanced overwatch and fortification on and from where that guy likes to strike, if you can find it. My point is that good tacticians deserve to win more often than good shooters. That guy deserved to win that one round. But when you've pinned all the angles and it still comes down to him every time and he's three-speed strafing around you and flicking on you at the end all game—not flanking you—not surprising you—there's a problem. And it's not wholly with the players. *And it's a known, pervasive problem that occurs at all levels. And this recoil change makes it easier for it to occur.

Being a good tactician is only part of the equation. I dunno if you've ever done L.E. training, but in my experience, being able to plan and execute only works well if the people you are executing with are capable shooters.

It's A+B=Victory not A+A=Victory.

At the end of the day a team that plays as a well oiled machine AND has capable shooters will most likely win over the lone Ubersoldier who may get on a hot streak occasionally.

I'm on PS4 and I got motherfuckers climbing around in the floors and walls. I got spawn killed by one who was peaking out of a stone foundation.

You can have the BESTEST tactics and still lose because you can't aim for shit right now, as the game is and it has always been that way. So I don't really get the aggressive push against fixed recoil.
The game at high level relies on frags and refrags, but only on top of a thick layer strategy. Teams have coaches analysing their opponents DURING the game. That's how heavy the tactics and strategy are in the current meta at pro league level.
Fixed recoil isn't going to change that. PENTA aren't going to drop their two coaches once fixed recoil gets patched in because there's RNG to the gunplay anymore.

I see it as having the opposite effect in that regard, once there's no RNG to the shooty-bang side of the game, tactics will become even more important. You won't be dice rolling on who kills who anymore, meaning the superior strat, be it holding an unusual angle or just a really strong defence hold, will no longer be unravelled by an RNG spray not going in your favour.

Disgraced

At the end of the day a team that plays as a well oiled machine AND has capable shooters will most likely win over the lone Ubersoldier who may get on a hot streak occasionally.
Less RNG and more convenient shooting increases the skill gap which also increases the disparitiy between shitshooters, capable shooters, and Ubersoldiers. Multiple capable shooters who outmaneuver the Ubersoldier should win the majority of the time. Shit, five shitshots against one should eventually too. That's not always the case.

Making it easier for the Ubersoldier—the crack Ash, Jäger, Hibana, IQ, Ela player—is not a good thing.
I'm not calling your tactics shit.
Trust me though, they are. One of me and my buds' favorites we call "The Stupid Plan." Kafe: Hostage - Freezer. Castle, Mute, Rook, Doc, and Echo. We all pile behind the hostage and a deployable and seal ourselves in. Echo watches the outside. You'd be s... y'know what, nevermind.

You can have the BESTEST tactics and still lose because you can't aim for shit right now, as the game is and it has always been that way. So I don't really get the aggressive push against fixed recoil.
The game at high level relies on frags and refrags, but only on top of a thick layer strategy. Teams have coaches analysing their opponents DURING the game. That's how heavy the tactics and strategy are in the current meta at pro league level.
Fixed recoil isn't going to change that. PENTA aren't going to drop their two coaches once fixed recoil gets patched in because there's RNG to the gunplay anymore.

I see it as having the opposite effect in that regard, once there's no RNG to the shooty-bang side of the game, tactics will become even more important. You won't be dice rolling on who kills who anymore, meaning the superior strat, be it holding an unusual angle or just a really strong defence hold, will no longer be unravelled by an RNG spray not going in your favour.

People don’t want fixed recoil because you can make a undectable mouse based macro that completely eliminates recoil

People don’t want fixed recoil because you can make a undectable mouse based macro that completely eliminates recoil

You can get hacks that go undetected too, nothing new there. People cheat. That's not a problem with fixed recoil, that's a problem with people using macros to bypass said recoil. Ubisoft obviously need to address that and either change how they implement their new recoil they've got in mind or come up with a way to enforce bans for using macros.

Less RNG and more convenient shooting increases the skill gap which also increases the disparitiy between shitshooters, capable shooters, and Ubersoldiers. Multiple capable shooters who outmaneuver the Ubersoldier should win the majority of the time. Shit, five shitshots against one should eventually too. That's not always the case.
Get good at aiming in this shooter?

Erban1

I don't understand the recoil pushback, definitely not on consoles at least. It's a competitive game so why not remove the rng from the gunplay? Skill ceiling increases and rewards people who take the time to master the recoil patterns. This doesn't lessen the importance of tactics in any way it just expands the ceiling for skilled gunplay.

Disgraced

fuckin uncle

The goal in Siege is to pressure your opponent in a hole—in a precarious position and then smush him. Not have a standoff.

I can't say the same thing a different way that many more times. RNG shooting ensures that standoffs are dangerous for all parties. RNG shooting ensures you need to use the destruction and find the superior angle on your opponent to win definitively. If your opponent can just ignore your pressure—your strategy and just waltz out in the open and slay you every time (because that should happen sometimes) there's a problem.

More convenient shooting makes it more likely for that to happen every single time.
This doesn't lessen the importance of tactics in any way it just expands the ceiling for skilled gunplay.
This game already has the motherfucking Everest of skill ceilings on the fields of both strategy and gunplay! How goddamn high does it need to be?!

A skill gap that's too fucking big is too fucking much for new players. It's getting to and going to turn people off.

Erban1

fuckin uncle

The goal in Siege is to pressure your opponent in a hole—in a precarious position and then smush him. Not have a standoff.

I can't say the same thing a different way that many more times. RNG shooting ensures that standoffs are dangerous for all parties. RNG shooting ensures you need to use the destruction and find the superior angle on your opponent to win definitively. If your opponent can just ignore your pressure—your strategy and just waltz out in the open and slay you every time (because that should happen sometimes) there's a problem.

More convenient shooting makes it more likely for that to happen every single time.This game already has the motherfucking Everest of skill ceilings on the fields of both strategy and gunplay! How goddamn high does it need to be?!

A skill gap that's too fucking big is too fucking much for new players. It's getting to and going to turn people off.

If someone is able to just waltz out into the open and kill you first I think that would be the case the majority of the time even without the recoil changes. Positioning is king on defense so If an opponent is able to disrupt your angle you're already at a disadvantage. The only thing changing in that situation with these changes in mind is that same player can learn how to counteract the recoil. That doesn't change the fact that if he has the first shot on you then you probably weren't holding the optimal angle as is. Also isn't recoil control a central concept of most shooters? How many gunfights have you lost at this point due to random bullet distribution? Being able to get comfortable with a weapon to the point that you can reliably know where your bullets are going is a welcome change to the skill curve IMO.

This game is unforgiving AF as is for newcomers, but I think we're overselling the impact of set recoil patterns when recoil control is a core tenant of the genre.

I hear you on worries that this will deemphasize tactics but I don't think it'll have a truly profound impact beyond higher tier players anyway.

The new recoil is fine. Played a bunch on the TTS. People thinking guns are going to be lasers now are just over reacting. If anything the recoil is much harder to control on many guns, compared to the straight upward line that they are now (R4-C).

heres a fun bug...

Game is 1-2 casual hostage

Other team downs the hostage

revive timer runs out

Guy who downed the hostage gets kicked

Game says "Round won"

Game gives win credit to other team, lose 1-3

Rarely play casual but boy is it always so hilarious.

Teammate (Attack) downs the hostage very early on.

Now Im frustrated because we have to get in there and revive the hostage.

To my relief, the enemy team decides to revive the hostage for us.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/71tp0y/recoil_system_news/

We want to thank you all for taking the time to test the new recoil values on the TTS, as well as provide us with your feedback. We discussed the new recoil system this morning with our Designers, and have a bit of insight to share with you.

Your concerns regarding randomness of bullet spray, as well as how the guns feel, have been heard by our developers and are being taken into account. You have also pointed out that this could potentially lead to a rise in macros, which we will also be exploring.

These changes to recoil patterns are one of the solutions we found that would result in correcting the alignment issue, but there may be other options to explore. We are going to continue looking at other ways to manage this, and will be testing those changes on future TTS builds. This is not the type of change that we are in a rush to produce, and are going to take our time to ensure that it will work well when it is deployed on the live servers.

Overall, we are very glad that we have been able to test this first iteration of the recoil changes on the TTS and gather feedback on it. The TTS is extremely valuable for testing gameplay changes of this nature, and we will be taking the feedback provided during this TTS phase and working on a second iteration of the recoil patterns.

Was playing with my friends earlier and we got Oregon 4 times in a row. It was secure 3 times and hostage once. I wanted to see how far it would go so I played one more but it was border. Pretty unlucky I guess

Was playing with my friends earlier and we got Oregon 4 times in a row. It was secure 3 times and hostage once. I wanted to see how far it would go so I played one more but it was border. Pretty unlucky I guess

We got Border twice in a row. Then Bank twice in a row. New rotation really sucks.

Also had people glitching under the pool table stage on Club House so.... that's what, at least 3 maps that are completely broken. Club House, Bank, and Consulate.

I didn't get a chance to try the recoil thing and I don't think I care that much about it one way or the other. But the game as it stands is probably the least fun it's been since the Consulate garage hop in the van glitch.

We got Border twice in a row. Then Bank twice in a row. New rotation really sucks.

Also had people glitching under the pool table stage on Club House so.... that's what, at least 3 maps that are completely broken. Club House, Bank, and Consulate.

I didn't get a chance to try the recoil thing and I don't think I care that much about it one way or the other. But the game as it stands is probably the least fun it's been since the Consulate garage hop in the van glitch.

In one of the Oregon matches we couldn't win an attack because there was a dude who was literally inside a washing machine in the basement and inside a wall in kitchen. It was literally unfair. What a sweaty individual. You couldn't see or shoot him

Disgraced

In one of the Oregon matches we couldn't win an attack because there was a dude who was literally inside a washing machine in the basement. It was literally unfair. What a sweaty individual. [url="https://youtu.be/5LitDGyxFh4[/url]You couldn't see or shoot him[/url]
Damn, you got cleaned up.

I cannot stop playing Montagne right now. I'm forever stuck bouncing between silver and gold ranks, and at that level a LOT of people just panic when they see Montagne. Some of these rounds are cracking me up where I just stand in the objective for like a minute and the entire enemy team gets picked off while they are trying to deal with me. I don't think I properly appreciated how much you can troll the living hell out of people by just slowly waddling towards them.

Disgraced

I cannot stop playing Montagne right now. I'm forever stuck bouncing between silver and gold ranks, and at that level a LOT of people just panic when they see Montagne. Some of these rounds are cracking me up where I just stand in the objective for like a minute and the entire enemy team gets picked off while they are trying to deal with me. I don't think I properly appreciated how much you can troll the living hell out of people by just slowly waddling towards them.
Big barrel of fun, isn't he? I fuckin' love Monty. He's even more fun when you learn when to drop the shield and draw the sword yourself.

He's in need of a minor buff with the arrival of direct counters Ela and Lesion. And it seems like it's easier than it's ever been for three-speeds to glitch behind him. I think the hit his revolver took was too harsh. 'Nother bout of overkill we can thank the competitive scene for.

I get frustrated playing with Montagne because I can't rely on teammates if they are randoms.

This is why I enjoy Blitz so much. People panic like mad when you flash them, and then it's a matter of picking them off. Doesn't work as well as Montagne, but when it works, it's hilarious

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/71pn48/try_not_to_laugh/

Sounds like he's throwing his Pro League casting partner under the bus. I can't say I've watched recently or know if they're even still a team but it seems like it would be super awkward after calling him out like that.

OG Kush

I use to like Kix then I saw that 45 minute or so podcast video he put up on the new Blood Orchid DLC and he came off as a condescending douche and used the word "gay" to describe something as "bad" which put me off him further.

andycapps

Kix is super cocky. The problem is that he knows what he's talking about, it's just the way he goes about it is very immature. He's not wrong, but it's not something he should say in public.

Kix is a pretty emotional guy. From watching his stream he gets pretty easily offended and he sort of takes everything to heart. That being said I only watched his stream a few times because he's just not enjoyable. Sure he's got great aim but I think he gets tilted too easily and for way too long. Then he starts talking about his depression and it turns into a feelsbad stream. I just couldn't handle that.

Where can I send in gameclips that prove someone is using a glitch and killing players through walls?
Maybe a dev on reddit?

Disgraced

I mean, that's pretty good as far as Apology Videos go.
Then he starts talking about his depression and it turns into a feelsbad stream. I just couldn't handle it.
ZyF0f

Where can I send in gameclips that prove someone is using a glitch and killing players through walls?

Lmao. You sweet summer child. Ubi isnt going to do shit about that player.

Just have to wait for them to patch this crap. In the meantime, team killing these people work just fine for me in casual.

Top Bottom