• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege sees upto 50fps boost on PS4 Pro

Guymelef

Has anybody actually tried this with a monitor over 60Hz? (in case of PS4 supports it).
I'm more inclined to think this is a bug with the framerate counter.

tbf that's a 30fps vid of what is often 70+fps gameplay, so gods only know how it looked live. Would still have tearing obv, but id take 60+ with tearing over locked 30 without it any day, especially in a twitch shooter.

Sotha_Sil

I was shocked when I saw the 280x as the recommended GPU on Steam. I'm not too surprised it can hit 100+ in some situations.

Not terribly useful when most tvs are 60hz, though...

Fisty

Wait, if VS is capped with dynamic res, wouldn't boost mode allow that to keep a higher res more consistently?

Today I learn a console game has an FPS counter.

And that PS4 Amateur is now an awesome thing, why did nobody think of this earlier.

I also though Terrorist Hunt on consoles was locked to 30, or did a patch remove that ?

Rocketz

Today I learn a console game has an FPS counter.

And that PS4 Amateur is now an awesome thing, why did nobody think of this earlier.

I also though Terrorist Hunt on consoles was locked to 30, or did a patch remove that ?

There is a toggle to turn off vsync. It was added later after launch.

Why in god's name would it? That's why the thing has a fan and a dissipator. They're supposed to be ok working on constant max load.

Pushing out frames faster and faster increases heat pretty rapidly. Have you ever been on a PC game's main menu without VSync and it shoots up to 5,000+ FPS? Your GPU ramps its fans up straight away and things get pretty heated. Now I know the PS4 is only doing 100FPS in this case but it's also in a much smaller enclosure.

Theoretically everything is "supposed" to be okay at max load but it's rarely the reality.

Pushing out frames faster and faster increases heat pretty rapidly. Have you ever been on a PC game's main menu without VSync and it shoots up to 5,000+ FPS? Your GPU ramps its fans up straight away and things get pretty heated. Now I know the PS4 is only doing 100FPS in this case but it's also in a much smaller enclosure.

Theoretically everything is "supposed" to be okay at max load but it's rarely the reality.

if it were rarely the reality, most ps4's would burn to a crisp any time they met a game that is so taxing that the system struggles to achieve even 30fps, like, say, bloodborne. Since that's evidently not the case...

Rellik

There's been console games with uncapped menu screens that drove up the fans. No PS4s exploded.

Arulan

As I said in the Just Cause 3 thread, it's great to see console users being able to take advantage of hardware improvements without the need for the developer's say.

About to see this for myself.
V Sync has to be off, right?

-EDIT-
The screen is a tearing mess with V sync off..not sure if its needed to see the fps
improvememt but i cant play this way. Rook deserves better!!

BigEmil

This would cause more stress on the hardware for letting FPS get that high ain't it with unlocked franerate

Stitch

Gold Member
Might run smoother but its still gonna look like shit. Take yo dynamic res and ram it

I think the resolution will also be better with PRO!?
If the game runs smoother the engine also doesn't need to lower the res all the time.
I guess. Maybe. Help me DF, you're my only hope.

nOoblet16

Might run smoother but its still gonna look like shit. Take yo dynamic res and ram it

I think the resolution will also be better with PRO!?
If the game runs smoother the engine also doesn't need to lower the res all the time.
I guess. Maybe. Help me DF, you're my only hope.
The game doesn't use dynamic res. It uses MSAA reconstruction which is effectively similar to what checkerboard rendering does in order to get to 1080P on PS4 and 900P on Xbox One from half that resolution and 2*MSAA.

Compared to non reconstructed 1080P, the MSAA reconstructed 1080P provides a 30% boost in performance.

Stitch

Gold Member
oh, so it runs upscaled all the time. that's a shame. I remember that it looked really blurry with default settings on PC.

nOoblet16

oh, so it runs upscaled all the time. that's a shame. I remember that it looked really blurry with default settings on PC.
It's not upscaled. Upscaling as is generally referred to is different from reconstruction, bar the artifacts the reconstructed image would be as sharp as a native image. The blurriness you see is caused from the TAA not the resolution, but at the same time the TAA helps reduce the artifacts.

On PC reconstruction is off by default but TAA is on.

Top Bottom