• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Siege single-player will have no supporting AI characters.

ngff02

Sounds good to me. I don't like controlling AI team members in FPS games. I'd rather have real squad mates or just play alone.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sounds good to me. I don't like controlling AI team members in FPS games. I'd rather have real squad mates or just play alone.

So the entire genre of squad based shooters should stop being made because you don't like them, as opposed to say you just not buying them? Ok.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Wow, I had no idea this was the case... It's just something you assume will be there in a Rainbow 6 game. That certainly throws a wet blanket on my enthusiasm.

MaddenNFL64

I loved Vegas 1, it wasn't the total pre plan, send team 1 this way, team 2 this way deal, but grouping near a door and calling for flashbang clear was amazing.

How can they toss that aside for multiplayer only squadmates? Some of us just wanna play alone.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Just saw another interview. And yeah, they 100% confirmed it. It`s either online or lone wolf solo, with no team AI at all.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Did Vegas have AI support? I feel like that answer is no, so I don't really mind. The game is pushed as a team-orientated game for online anyway so I would never have noticed or cared.

Pooya

Did Vegas have AI support? I feel like that answer is no, so I don't really mind. The game is pushed as a team-orientated game for online anyway so I would never have noticed or cared.

It does, you had a two member team you can issue orders to. It was similar to Republic Commando and now Halo 5 than the earlier R6 games though. Quite simplified but it was good still. AIs could actually carry the game for you.

edit: I think in first game you didn't have access to AI team in other modes but in Vegas 2 they added that.

I feel like this news has been a long time coming since they announced it. How often does Ubisoft not show any cutscenes or campaign set pieces of their big AAA games? Never, so I figured something like this was going to happen.

After watching the terrorist hunt video I'm definitely not getting this, it looks nothing like the Vegas versions. It basically looks like the attack and defend gameplay variant they have in this game I mean wtf.

Wake me when we've got another full fledged rainbow six and not some stop gap.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Well, of course! If it had other AI teammates there would have to be squad commands. That's a big NO NO for Ubisoft as they think their target audience is too braindead for squad commands.

I remember when they said jumping in Splinter cell with triangle or Y was too complex.

Lol. "Rainbox six on 360 was too complex for tough guy complex people, so you can play as a lone wolf or as a lone wolf"
"Also via DLC will be the option of lone wolf & ability to play as lone wolf, with lone wolf achievements" ... Rainbow Six Lone Wolf!

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
lol ya this definitely sucks. But at least they are not enforcing online for campaign singleplayer.

Well sadly, it's not fucking surprising. I mean these are the guys who also failed to give us fucking "DOORS" in the game as well.

Sorry for the profanities but this is BS!!!

Zynx

Why the fuck name it Rainbow Six? Do they want to ruin the game's sales AND tank the brand at the same time by totally confusing potential player expectations?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Open world Ghost Recon
Lone wolf Rainbow 6

Ubisoft please stop, don't even want you to remake deathrow anymore.

they are updating their franchises for the modern marketplace, and differentiating those under the TC umbrella so each game offers different experiences while having some appeal to the traditional fans (without remaking those experiences). It's a whole new generation of consoles with new tech... and in various ways they are trying things differently than the past

if you think about the last 3 years of Ubi press conferences....

They had 3 surprise Tom Clancy unveils.

The Division - RPG, connected/community open world game

Rainbow Six Siege - Multiplayer-by-design, character-and-balance driven, close-quarter combat + traditional fan modes like Terrohunt

Ghost Recon: Wildlands - full open world design, optimized for 4 player co-op.

Considering all 3 are grounded in 'modern, military-style urban realities' - they are at least trying to keep them relevant and different. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, but you can start to see how thought-out their product lineup has been to go as big and broad as they can... with some OLD franchises (isn't rainbow like 20 years old?).

the thing is, do we each see them succeed in the various categories? or is there a distinct weakness in 1 or more of them?

aliengmr

I haven't kept up on the game but I thought they were taking it back to its roots. Evidently not.

Made that decision easy.

I miss everything about R6, except the fucking quick draw shotgun snipers.

Moongazer

Seriously disappointed with this game now. Every game in the series had squad AI of some sort and now for some reason they are incapable of including them at all?

Might as well make the game completely mp only rather than have a half ass option for solo players.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I played a lot of coop in SWAT and Rainbow Six back in the day, but it was always possible to replace the lack of people With AI. Two players in Siege would also suck. I want one or two friends, but a full team.

Top Bottom