• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Siege single-player will have no supporting AI characters.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Ever since Red Storm was picked up by Ubisoft this series has gone to crap. The whole tactical approach to this game was going down hill right around Raven Shield. They have removed the whole pre-planning/way-points of missions.

Bummer, and here I thought they were actually back on track with this franchise. Ghost Recon may have no roots left, but it still feels like it's going in a good direction and quite possibly the most interesting game on the horizon in a Delta Force on roids sort of way.

This, on the other hand, became a certain no-buy.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Ubisoft responded on their forums:

Hey everyone.

At its roots, Rainbow Six has always been about teamplay. In previous Rainbow Six games, AI teammates were designed in order to simulate this experience, but with Siege, we decided to focus on the online cooperative gameplay rather than having AI teammates. In addition, we wanted to focus on a core experience which could be played both in PvE and PvP. Managing AI teammates did not fit with this vision.

Thanks.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...characters?p=10873308&viewfull=1#post10873308

Ubisoft responded on their forums:

Hey everyone.

At its roots, Rainbow Six has always been about teamplay. In previous Rainbow Six games, AI teammates were designed in order to simulate this experience, but with Siege, we decided to focus on the online cooperative gameplay rather than having AI teammates. In addition, we wanted to focus on a core experience which could be played both in PvE and PvP. Managing AI teammates did not fit with this vision.

Thanks.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...characters?p=10873308&viewfull=1#post10873308
Yup, Rainbow 6 is not about management at all, just like how Splinter Cell is not about covert espionage.

Newlove

It was fairly obvious to me from the initial reveal that single player was not the priority, so its not really surprising. I would have liked them to continue the patriots idea for campaign.

Moongazer

It had fucking better not be in the same fucking situation.

It seems like Ghost Recon Wildlands will have AI squad members judging by this:

"The dev team is working hard to make your companion AI as useful as possible, and we gave them quite a few different suggestions on how to pull that off when we were in Paris. I can't communicate what we talked about specifically, but hopefully you'll have enough control over your AI companions to plan missions in specific ways and get things done the way you want."

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1182034-Campaign-solo-mode-lone-wolf?

Ridiculous that Ghost Recon does this but R6 Siege can't. The fuck is going on at Ubisoft?

Futurematic

Ridiculous that Ghost Recon does this but R6 Siege can't. The fuck is going on at Ubisoft?

TL;DR:
Ubisoft Montreal has serious issues, Snowdrop (The Division's engine) took years longer than expected/planned, and Ubisoft has a finite--not that it ever seems that way--number of studios.

Storytime:
Once upon a time Rainbow 6: Patriots was under development by Red Storm, Ubisoft Montreal, and Ubisoft Toronto. This was cancelled. Ubisoft Montreal, being not the best at doing anything but tons of same-y content, then stole Red Storm (speculation; I have no inside knowledge) and stuck them on Far Cry 3 & 4 instead of either Rainbow 6: Siege or Ghost Recon: Wildlands which would be the natural/obvious plan. This would be a major reason Wildlands is taking so long, since Red Storm historically partnered with Ubisoft Paris on Ghost Recon, and it would also be a major reason Rainbow 6: Siege is coming out the way it is since--as above--Ubisoft Montreal has serious problems on everything except hitting release dates (one reason I was shocked Watch_Dogs was delayed).

Around the same time Ubisoft Massive begins running into delays on Snowdrop, and (fall 2013) asks for help though their PR phrases it as looking for partner studios that fit with them blah blah blah: let's be clear, they were in trouble. The engine began development as a clean slate next-gen engine somewhere in 2008, by Massive pre-Ubisoft acquisition. I speculate part of Ubisoft picking them up was that Ubisoft was thinking the same thing as EA with Frostbite, one engine to rule them all instead of Ubisoft's Montreal triple engine mess. Sadly the engine clearly ran late (rumours were that the engine wasn't done until late 2014) and so Ubisoft began throwing studios at The Division. At this point we now know the following about Ubisoft: Paris is doing a good job on Wildlands, though it took a while, since they have no backup studios; Rainbow 6: Siege is Montreal's baby / they think it is fine / Montreal is bad at game development as usual; The Division is in need of serious help, but it seems to be primarily a content thing because Snowdrop took so long.

(Below specific dates are when Ubisoft released PR on the subject)
  • Fall 2013: As revealed when Reflections is added, Ubisoft Massive begins asking for help (they phrase it as finding the right partner studios, of course).
  • 7 February 2014: 1 of the 5 Ubisoft Reflections teams, the big 40% of their 200 person staff team, joins The Division
  • 9 April 2014: Red Storm Entertainment joins The Division.
  • 11 May 2015: Ubisoft Annecy joins The Division.

I think The Division will turn out great, myself, and I also think Ghost Recon: Wildlands will turn out great. But Ubisoft Montreal churns out mediocre stuff constantly, so without Red Storm on Rainbow 6 I'm not even remotely surprised how weird/meh that game is turning out.

It seems like Ghost Recon Wildlands will have AI squad members judging by this:

"The dev team is working hard to make your companion AI as useful as possible, and we gave them quite a few different suggestions on how to pull that off when we were in Paris. I can't communicate what we talked about specifically, but hopefully you'll have enough control over your AI companions to plan missions in specific ways and get things done the way you want."

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1182034-Campaign-solo-mode-lone-wolf?

Good find. That game is sounding better and better.

Gamezone

Gold Member
No proper single player campaign?
Fuck that then, I'll wait until it's going dirt cheap.

You will get to play the same missions as in multiplayer. The difference is that you have to do it completely alone if you want to play by yourself.

waddams

Neo Member
In addition to "Ubi being Ubi", I think this is just another example of the sad trend the gaming industry is going where more games are coming out that just focus on pvp type mp.

I personally think the reason is that many of these companies are just too damn lazy and know it takes more work and money to produce a nice campaign or sp experience compared to just slapping together some maps/modes and letting people go to town.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So its not a single player campaign. It's coop "terrorist hunt" missions.

I am fine with that, just don't call it a single player if you aren't going to make a single player.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So its not a single player campaign. It's coop "terrorist hunt" missions.

I am fine with that, just don't call it a single player if you aren't going to make a single player.

I just want to play the game without having to bother with other people, but I don`t want to play a Rainbow Six game as Rambo.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I guess we just have to wait until some of the original R6 devs do a kickstarter or something :(

Sad, that first preview vid in the house looked amazing, but everything I've read subsequently has been discouraging.

Sounds to me they threw in a "SP" after seeing what happened with Evolve.

Lol both Titanfall and Evolve sold well enough for a sequel even if if they couldn't retain the community as well as other games. Sp and terrorist hunt were both confirmed when the game was announced anyway.

Druz

Tom_Clancy's_Rainbow_Six_-_Rogue_Spear_Coverart.png

End of an era.

Brother!

I remember being WOW'd when bodies curved when dying on stairs.

So someone from Ubisoft said this on Reddit:

We plan on supporting this game long after launch. While I won't comment on what, if any, new content will come out after launch I will say that we're not just going to kick this out the door and forget about it.
No doors though ;)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/3at182/managing_ai_teammates_did_not_fit_with_our_vision/

so there's options to rappel thru windows, breach walls with explosives and also bust thru them with sledgehammers, but they couldn't figure out how to make your character open a door...

Top Bottom