• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Since a game console is a want, not a need, there's nothing wrong with scalping PS5 or Xbox Series X consoles.
9b29ee560a03a7441490e95778922aaa.gif

You're absolutely right.

KH1 is the best KH experience. There's so much hidden interactions and so many cool aspects to it. The battle system is far from perfect, but it's always so much fun. You can use magic in so many ways or just whack everything. You can use summons to clear rooms in seconds or use them for invincibility or tons of damage.

World design is not perfect, but I miss using the environment around you and figuring out ways to reach things. 6 of the post cards can be obtained within the first visit of Traverse Town, simply by just knowing your environment. On top of that, the hidden interactions really add so much. No other KH game really has hidden interactions. They really add a lot of life into the world, it shows how much thought was out in.

Just so much charm. Even the Gummi ship has a lot of cool things about it like the haste g and using it to move faster or build a monster ship that will never die and be super fast.

It's such an awesome entry into the series. Kh2FM/KH3 remind might be the best for gameplay and such but KH1 is to me a golden experience. It just did so much right to me for the first game ever.

begotten

KH1 is the best KH experience.

This is an unpopular opinion? KH went to absolute garbage after the first game. It spawned too many unwanted, rehashed entries, even when the narrative became an incoherent mess. I don't know how this series can have fans unironically, when clearly the soul of the series' concept exists only in 1.

KH1 is the best KH experience. There's so much hidden interactions and so many cool aspects to it. The battle system is far from perfect, but it's always so much fun. You can use magic in so many ways or just whack everything. You can use summons to clear rooms in seconds or use them for invincibility or tons of damage.

World design is not perfect, but I miss using the environment around you and figuring out ways to reach things. 6 of the post cards can be obtained within the first visit of Traverse Town, simply by just knowing your environment. On top of that, the hidden interactions really add so much. No other KH game really has hidden interactions. They really add a lot of life into the world, it shows how much thought was out in.

Just so much charm. Even the Gummi ship has a lot of cool things about it like the haste g and using it to move faster or build a monster ship that will never die and be super fast.

It's such an awesome entry into the series. Kh2FM/KH3 remind might be the best for gameplay and such but KH1 is to me a golden experience. It just did so much right to me for the first game ever.
I think KH2 was the best one. But story was a mess from day one though.

THEAP99

Banned
Cd Projekt red have terrible programmers but great writers and concept artists.

Days gone should've been reviewed more harshly

Ghost of Tsushima is overrated

Halo is boring

Fromsoftware games are all reskinned from one another and so uninteresting overhyped.

Nintendo switch and it's games are overrated overhyped

Last edited:
Cd Projekt red have terrible programmers but great writers and concept artists.

Days gone should've been reviewed more harshly

Ghost of Tsushima is overrated

Halo is boring

Fromsoftware games are all reskinned from one another and so uninteresting overhyped.

Nintendo switch and it's games are overrated overhyped
Ow_the_edge.jpg

nRdBmyv.gif

mcz117chief

Yes. I was replaying all cod campaigns in the last month and this one is amazing.
Funnily enough ghosts is not bad and black ops3 story is interesting too. All are better than black ops 2 which was my fav... According to my memory
Infinite Warfare is very good, I enjoyed it a lot. I don't share your sentiment on BO3, I thought it was boring. My favorite to this day is still MW3 followed by the latest Cold War. MW3 is just one insanity on top of another without any breaks, it is a nonstop roller coaster of crazy. I love how in Paris you switch between the ground team and the AC-130 mutliple times and then you blow up the Eiffel Tower :D I always disliked that weird scaffold so seeing it get blown up made my day. Sorry to all French folks, I love you and I love France but the Eiffel Tower is junk. Vive la France! 🥖🥐

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Infinite Warfare is very good, I enjoyed it a lot. I don't share your sentiment on BO3, I thought it was boring. My favorite to this day is still MW3 followed by the latest Cold War. MW3 is just one insanity on top of another without any breaks, it is a nonstop roller coaster of crazy. I love how in Paris you switch between the ground team and the AC-130 mutliple times and then you blow up the Eiffel Tower :D I always disliked that weird scaffold so seeing it get blown up made my day. Sorry to all French folks, I love you and I love France but the Eiffel Tower is junk. Vive la France! 🥖🥐
Haha mw3 is almost too much :p
Don't get me wrong. Bo3 is boring just interesting story and setting

mcz117chief

Haha mw3 is almost too much :p
Don't get me wrong. Bo3 is boring just interesting story and setting
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE too much. I want explosions then double the explosions and then double the doubled explosions at least twice. Shits totally my jam.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Cyberpunk 2077 looks incredibly boring and always has, and I still have zero interest in it.

brian0057

Banned
Since a game console is a want, not a need, there's nothing wrong with scalping PS5 or Xbox Series X consoles.
Thermonuclear take:
Even if the product is a need, scalping is absolutely not a problem.
Declaring something a "human right" or a "necessity" doesn't magically make it inmune to scarcity.

mcz117chief

Cyberpunk 2077 looks incredibly boring and always has, and I still have zero interest in it.
It does. It might be good though, I'll definitely wait a few months for the crazy fans to settle down and give us an honest opinion on the game. The bugs are ridiculous according to reviews so no way will I buy it on release.

Carna

Banned
Gamers just go though cycles of hyping up a game like cyberpunk for a period of like 2-3 years, only to end up complaining about how they're disappointed in the product, will they wise up next generation with other hyped games? I'm keeping my expectations in check, and not bothering with game I'm not interested in

The only next gen game I'm interested in at the moment, is Final Fantasy 16. Also nostalgia/turn based Final Fantasy fans are annoying and stupid. I do think Nomura is a nuisance though, he should just stick to designing characters and working on his own franchise (Kingdom Hearts)

Miles708

Gamers just go though cycles of hyping up a game like cyberpunk for a period of like 2-3 years, only to end up complaining about how they're disappointed in the product, will they wise up next generation with other hyped games?

Lol. No, they won't.
My god, they won't.

Carna

Banned
Nights journey of dreams, is a worthy follow-up to Nights into dreams.

The large majority of gaming content creators are the same crap, the only ones I watch are people talking about lesser known games.

The people who hated pokemon sword and shield, can't name a other monster catching game that works well as pokemon does, to save their life. Your telling me you actually liked temtem, or whatever the pc monster catching game was called. Srsly?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Bayonetta sucks* and Metal Gear Rising is the best Platinum game.

Also both Dragon Quest and SMT >>>> Final Fantasy. Tried III, IV, VI, VII and XV and they all felt simplistic in gameplay and boring in story. (Aside from VI, which I only remember because of that twist near the end when Kefka sends the world to shit)

*only as a game. She could be my mommy any day.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The Trails/Kiseki series is the best contemporary JRPG and the best JRPG ever after Lunar 2 Complete Story.

Falcom is one of the best developers out there.

Inti Creates and Wayforward are among the top developers around today.

GOG is one of the best things to happen to gaming in over a decade.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Just started the last of us 2 and I’m a couple hours in the story moments are pretty cool but so far it’s boring as fuck. The shoot outs are pretty great.

What the fuck is going on with the grainy look in this game? It makes an overall good looking game ugly as fuck. What were they thinking? Is there no way to change this in settings?

Last edited:

Royal-Slime

Banned
The best "story" in a game, is still worst than the less good book that I have here.

Games are about "play", not to tell stories.

And games won't ever be considered art while people keep triying to put boundaries around it.

Riiiiight.
It seems that way because there are much more books to choose from, you silly goose! :D Do you seriously think that hundreds of years of content in a medium which is the easiest to make financially (all you need is a pen) wouldn't have more stories than games?
Regardless, as someone who has read quite a few classics and plans to read more... you're full of shit. Games are much more impressive than books. Stories are on the same level. Just because a book makes you feel intelligent, doesn't mean it has a better story.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sony's "movie games" are worse for the industry than loot boxes, microtransactions, and subscription services combined because they blatantly ignore what makes gaming so good and simply try to ape TV and Hollywood.

These types of games prevent studios from investing in, and exploring, player choice type gameplay mechanics.

Their praise as a publisher is mostly unearned.

Dreams is badass though.

Last edited:
Sony's "movie games" are worse for the industry than loot boxes, microtransactions, and subscription services combined because they blatantly ignore what makes gaming so good and simply try to ape TV and Hollywood.

These types of games prevent studios from investing in, and exploring, player choice type gameplay mechanics.

Their praise as a publisher is mostly unearned.

Dreams is badass though.
veRu4ZF.jpg

evanft

I've got new ones that may actually be controversial this time.
  • Gears 5 and Hivebusters are the two best Gears campaigns, and it's not even fucking close.
  • Mass Effect Andromeda, when modded on the PC, has far and away the best gameplay of all the Mass Effect games.
  • The last great Final Fantasy game was Final Fantasy XII
  • Begging for a game to be "remastered" when there's a perfectly adequate PC version available is cringe. Stop begging for a rerelease of Max Payne 3 the PC version runs at 4k on a potato.
  • Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best MGS game.
  • If Sony announced tomorrow a box that you could attach to your PS5 that would allow it to play PS1/PS2/PS3 game discs I would easily pay $100 for it. Maybe more if it included FPS/resolution enhancements.
  • The PS5 is my favorite console design since the original Xbox. It's so refreshing to see something that isn't just a generic black box.
  • The PS5 needs at least two more USB ports, and the fact that one of the front ones isn't USB 3.1 is fucking stupid. Also, why is one of them USB-C? I don't have anything I need to attach to the PS5 that uses USB C so I had to buy an adapter cable to connect to it.
  • Microsoft dropped the ball on VR. They went through all the trouble to make Windows Mixed Reality but never bothered to bring it to Xbox, especially when they've had the most powerful console available for a while.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
I’m going for a double today.

Nier Automota’s difficulty balancing is possibly one of the worst I’ve ever come across.

The game definitely does have the single most unbalanced intro section since the 8bit days. (Which had very little balancing)

beautiful game mind...

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I would choose my Quest 2 over a playstation 5/xbox series X right now.

The Quest 2 feels like a real evolution of gaming. The wireless headset combined with the super accurate tracking is unreal. VR at $300 is going to lure in the mass market. I and a few of my buddies got this for xmas. Incredible device.

PS5/XSX: Outside of fighting the scalpers, there is nothing on either I wish to play right now. They will be better in the future but the libray on both is lacking.

Derktron

Banned
I’m not a hater of PlayStation but after being able to play the biggest PlayStation games I have to say they are very overrated and not a big deal as many people make it seem. The only thing that Sony has going for them is Spider-Man. That’s one of the biggest reasons why I got the PS4 and why I want to continue to get PlayStation only because of Spider-Man.
Edit: damn seems like I hit a nerve with my comment.

Last edited:

OnionSnake

Banned
The Witcher 3 was not a good game. Geralt has a cool voice actor, some of the quests seem interesting from a story perspective but the overall gameplay is jank as hell and not rewarding in the slightest. You have a very bland open world filled with the same enemies with different power levels, sidequests to distract you from the monotony and some just bad movement controls.

For this I have no idea why people hyped up CP2077 to such high levels.

If Microsoft bowed out from the console business, they wouldn’t be missed on a general population/consumer level.
They have their dedicated fanbase.

Personally? I wouldn't care much anymore. I've said multiple times that I want Xbox to be good, and to give me a reason to own their products. I have great nostalgia for the OG Xbox, and I've owned every Xbox console up until the new ones but I can't bring myself to care much anymore. They have Forza Horizon and that is basically it at this point for me. They ruined Halo, Gears is mediocre now, and Forza Motorsport hasn't been enjoyable since like 3 or 4 on the 360. They were once great IMO, but even with all the amazing things they have going for them currently it's still not the same.

Even having the nostalgia and love for their franchises I still think Sega would have brought more as the third pillar (you know assuming they hadn't fucked up the Saturn/Dreamcast). A modern Sega console could be something great.

I've got new ones that may actually be controversial this time.
  • Gears 5 and Hivebusters are the two best Gears campaigns, and it's not even fucking close.
  • Mass Effect Andromeda, when modded on the PC, has far and away the best gameplay of all the Mass Effect games.
  • The last great Final Fantasy game was Final Fantasy XII
  • Begging for a game to be "remastered" when there's a perfectly adequate PC version available is cringe. Stop begging for a rerelease of Max Payne 3 the PC version runs at 4k on a potato. (1)
  • Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best MGS game.
  • If Sony announced tomorrow a box that you could attach to your PS5 that would allow it to play PS1/PS2/PS3 game discs I would easily pay $100 for it. Maybe more if it included FPS/resolution enhancements. (2)
  • The PS5 is my favorite console design since the original Xbox. It's so refreshing to see something that isn't just a generic black box.
  • The PS5 needs at least two more USB ports, and the fact that one of the front ones isn't USB 3.1 is fucking stupid. Also, why is one of them USB-C? I don't have anything I need to attach to the PS5 that uses USB C so I had to buy an adapter cable to connect to it.
  • Microsoft dropped the ball on VR. They went through all the trouble to make Windows Mixed Reality but never bothered to bring it to Xbox, especially when they've had the most powerful console available for a while.
1. Not everybody has a PC or even wants a pc so this is stupid. And I guarantee you that the type of laptops that most people have wouldn't run that game well.
2. Yeah, same. Having an all in one PlayStation box could be great.

Woggleman

Breath of the Wild is a good game but not the end all and be all of open world games.

I would rather have a buggy and rough game like Cyberpunk that I greatly enjoy over a perfectly polished game like Death Stranding that feels like it was designed to deliberately frustrate the player

GTA IV is one of the top five open world game ever made

Trevor is one of the worst protagonists ever

I agree about the all in one PS box. If Colecovision was able to make an extension where you could play Atari games surely Sony could make one where you play older Sony games.

OnionSnake

Banned
If Sony announced tomorrow a box that you could attach to your PS5 that would allow it to play PS1/PS2/PS3 game discs I would easily pay $100 for it. Maybe more if it included FPS/resolution enhancements.
Easy immediate buy, don't think this is controversial lol

If Colecovision was able to make an extension where you could play Atari games surely Sony could make one where you play older Sony games.

Yeah, they could release an FPGA based PS1/PS2 box pretty easily. PS3 would be the issue with the damn CELL

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
Watch Dogs Legion is the best open world game. The living world with each NPC being unique and having various relationships with other characters and all being recruitable is such a great innovation. I feel bad any time I run over a random pedestrian while running from the cops because that poor soul could have easily been my hero character for the whole game if I had bumped into them early on and recruited them. On top of that you can play the game many different ways from straight hacking to stealth to all out action and it all feels good. Criminally under rated game. Should have garnered some GOTY awards but all other Ubi games are forever in the shadow of Assassin's Creed which is just boring to me at this point. It's also really funny and the accents are amazing.

evanft

Easy immediate buy, don't think this is controversial lol

Yeah, they could release an FPGA based PS1/PS2 box pretty easily. PS3 would be the issue with the damn CELL
I think to do it properly you’d basically just build a PS1/2/3 on a single die and pair it with some ARM cores to act as a co processor. The chips in those systems are so old that you could probably fit them all on a die the size of your finger nail.

Top Bottom