• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Alright, I'll summarize a couple here. I'll be happy to elaborate on any point, but prematurely elaborating might make my post too long. Anyway:
  • Rayman Origins is the best 2D platformer ever made. The next best one isn't even a Mario game, it's the original Yoshi's Island on SNES. Which brings me to...
  • ... agreeing with EruditeHobo EruditeHobo that, as nice and polished as Nintendo games are (and I generally really enjoy a lot of them), Nintendo as a publisher is very much overrated.
  • Assassin's Creed III (yes, that's right, III, 3, tres; you know, the one with the Native American protagonist) is the absolute best of the pre-Origins set of Assassin's Creed games
  • BioShock 2 is the best of that trilogy. BioShock (1) is massively overrated by the fanbase, and Infinite, while it looks good and has story potential, is actually the worst of the 3.
  • It pains me to write this one, as a very big fan of "classic" SNK. While their pixel work, lore, and aesthetic are generally pretty awesome, in what is perhaps the most important video game category -- gameplay -- they often fall flat. A lot of classic SNK games are janky as hell, and are not altogether very fun to play. On top of janky gameplay, they have disastrous opponent AI that quite often just reads your inputs. Terrible.
  • Resident Evil 0 is a legitimately good game, a very good Resident Evil, and is actually a couple of (serious) missteps from being a bona fide masterpiece. While on the topic of Resident Evil....
  • Resident Evil (2002), the one generally known as "REmake," is a fantastic video game, but still overrated by fans of the series. Atmosphere, puzzles, and environments are fantastic; however, traversal and combat (you know, the two main things any player will likely be doing) suck. In fact, both traversal and combat are downgrades in Remake compared to the original PS1 trilogy. On the gameplay department, the Remakes of 2 and 3 run circles around the Remake of 1.
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves is a better video game than the other video game that it blatantly and explicitly ripped off, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike. Speaking of which....
  • 3rd Strike is overrated, largely by casual fans (no offense). Anyone that plays it for more than 2 seconds would know that the game has serious character balance issues (SA-2 Chun, press A to win). While the gameplay is refined, the stages, soundtracks, and overall presentation are all a downgrade from New Generation and Second Impact.
Alright, that's enough for now. Happy gaming!

Woggleman

More

Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn is up there with Arthur Morgan, John Marston, Joel Miller and others as a great protagonist
Nico Bellic is up there as well
Saints Row two and three are truly great games and then they took a nose dive with four
Final Fight is the best beat up game ever made
Fear Effect 1 and 2 were underrated as hell and need a reboot.
Syphon Filter needs a reboot as well
SJWs vs Anti-SJWs is like watching two obnoxious drunks argue

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Dreams on PS4 is a true revolutionary game.
Revolutionary. Yes.

Everyone likes to bitch about the lack of creativity and risk-taking in the industry, only to outright ignore a miracle even when it unfolds after their eyes (and it's at half price).
It takes practice and time, but creating your content has never been so fun.

New game designers will come out from dreams, people with 0 experience in programming can create games. And music. And models. On a console. Without code, while also being fun.

How's that anything other than revolutionary.
I honestly didn't like much the end result of Dreams. For these types of games that rely on user made content, i feel like its important to keep the focus on something, kinda like Tabletop Simulator or even Little Big Planet they made before.

Not saying there aren't cool creations on Dreams or that i don't appreciate what they tried to do, but how is what they did much different from normal game-making tools? Loads of them are beginner friendly nowadays, with plenty of tutorials and such to teach amateurs. On top of that, they're often free, and learning to use them can give you actual professional prospects.

Heck, even if you're not a creator and just want to see other people's "dreams", you can also do that for free by going into a site like itch io and tagging a genre you like, or even an engine such as Unity, Unreal or Godot

I just can't help but feel Dreams is stuck in this weird limbo where it isn't really a game nor a game-making tool, and as such can't really accomplish being either one properly.

Last edited:

Miles708

I honestly didn't like much the end result of Dreams. For these types of games that rely on user made content, i feel like its important to keep the focus on something, kinda like Tabletop Simulator or even Little Big Planet they made before.

Not saying there aren't cool creations on Dreams or that i don't appreciate what they tried to do, but how is what they did much different from normal game-making tools? Loads of them are beginner friendly nowadays, with plenty of tutorials and such to teach amateurs. On top of that, they're often free, and learning to use them can give you actual professional prospects.

Heck, even if you're not a creator and just want to see other people's "dreams", you can also do that for free by going into a site like itch io and tagging a genre you like, or even an engine like Unity, Unreal or Godot

I just can't help but feel Dreams is stuck in this limbo where it isn't really a game nor a game-making tool, and as such can't really accomplish either one properly.
That's true, starting has never been easier. Problem is that, UE and Unity also suck.
And suck badly.

They're mind-blowingly powerful if you know what you're doing.... and that's the point: if you know what you're doing.
Basically you have to devote your life learing tools, learning a programming language (C#? C++? What the hell am i doing?) and work around a million idiosicrasies only to begin to understand if this is even something you can find interesting at all.

I think it's ridiculous. You don't need to know the inside-out of modern industrial production methods before playing with Legos.

Also, even with UE you can't really make complex models, or textures, you have to import them from even worse softwares. You have to import animations and then learn about rigging and bones, you need another software if you want to make music and god knows how you put it all together in a file.

In Dreams not only you have at least 5 creation professional softwares in 1 (for the price of an indie game), it's always packaged in a fun and console-friendly game that actually feels good to use even if you're rubbish. And I'm not even talking about playing other people's things.

So yes, I think it's the most revolutionary game in at least 15 years.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

That's true, starting has never been easier. Problem is that, UE and Unity also suck.
And suck badly.

They're mind-blowingly powerful if you know what you're doing.... and that's the point: if you know what you're doing.
Basically you have to devote your life learing tools, learning a programming language (C#? C++? What the hell am i doing?) and work around a million idiosicrasies only to begin to understand if this is even something you can find interesting at all.

I think it's ridiculous. You don't need to know the inside-out of modern industrial production methods before playing with Legos.

Also, even with UE you can't really make complex models, or textures, you have to import them from even worse softwares. You have to import animations and then learn about rigging and bones, you need another software if you want to make music and god knows how you put it all together in a file.

In Dreams not only you have at least 5 creation professional softwares in 1 (for the price of an indie game), it's always packaged in a fun and console-friendly game that actually feels good to use even if you're rubbish. And I'm not even talking about playing other people's things.

So yes, I think it's the most revolutionary game in at least 15 years.
I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill here.
It really isn't all that hard to learn to use these tools or simple programming, i see plenty of teenagers who easily do. Nothing you have to "devote your life to". There's also loads of free tools that allow you to create your own assets, as well as plenty of readily made free assets, including models, music, sound effects, etc. And as i mentioned before its not really that hard use all of this, modern tools are really beginner friendly, and there's loads of material for learning thanks to the internet.

I should also mention that the "coolest" creations you see in dreams are often made by people already in-the-know of programming, game development and such. True amateur projects will almost always look like this

Miles708

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill here.
It really isn't all that hard to learn to use these tools or simple programming, i see plenty of teenagers who easily do. Nothing you have to "devote your life to". There's also loads of free tools that allow you to create your own assets, as well as plenty of readily made free assets, including models, music, sound effects, etc. And as i mentioned before its not really that hard use all of this, modern tools are really beginner friendly, and there's loads of material for learning thanks to the internet.

I should also mention that the "coolest" creations you see in dreams are often made by people already in-the-know of programming, game development and such. True amateur projects will almost always look like this

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying there's a lot of crap you have to go through before reaching the fun parts.
Also, learning how to code is feasible only if that's the only thing going on in your life, and that's another whole different and maddening beast (not that Dreams' logic is particularly easier, but I like to think that human beings are more comfortable with symbols and connections than with missing semicolons).

You also have to be more much focused: music with 1 program, 3D model with another program. Then another for textures. Then another for rigging. Then another for scripting. Then another for shaders.
It can be done, 100%.
It's also crap.

Dreams, on the other hand, as an holistic approach with a single editor taking care of models, music, animation and logic. That means that you can spatiate between domains and find always something new.
Personally I suck at Dreams (despite my love for it), but I love creating little "moody" scenes with simple interactions, and then creating fitting music, all from my armchair.

You got a point of good people doing good content. They're not the only ones, though.
Hobbyists doing scenes like this:

I cant stand combat in adventure games (tomb raider, uncharted, fallen order).

I set em all on easiest difficulty possible to get past all that crap and back to exploring and puzzle solving.

Probably not controversial, just a pet peeve
Yeah I agree, combat in those games are actually very flimsy, not very exciting & just inconvenient. There's a reason why many adore Uncharted Lost Legacy because it has the least combat in the series and focuses most on exploration and puzzle solving.
  • Resident Evil (2002), the one generally known as "REmake," is a fantastic video game, but still overrated by fans of the series. Atmosphere, puzzles, and environments are fantastic; however, traversal and combat (you know, the two main things any player will likely be doing) suck. In fact, both traversal and combat are downgrades in Remake compared to the original PS1 trilogy. On the gameplay department, the Remakes of 2 and 3 run circles around the Remake of 1.
Now this is a controversial opinion, I'm curious why you would say combat & traversel are better in the PS1 versions when it's pretty much mechanically identical in the remake if I'm not mistaken?

Corgi1985

Banned
Pokemon sword is the worst video game of all time. At least superman on N64 was bad in an interesting way. I accidentally threw the cart in the trash because I couldn't tell it apart from the actual garbage. Glad to have gotten rid of it so it isn't inflicted upon anyone else.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Resident Evil 6 is alright for what it is. Let me be clear, it's not a good Resident Evil game. Not even close. However, it does have some cool ideas and it does have potential. Just far too many QTE sequences.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Zelda Majora's Mask is garbage....the timed mechanic ruined it.
Agreed. Same reason rouge like games blow. Redoing shit sucks.

My opinion, which is actually based on some facts, is that scalpers make up a tiny fraction of console sales and the people complaining about them just need someone to hate. This is a fundamental symptom of our modern hate-based culture where people like to play victims and cry foul at people just living their lives.

SackUSMC27

Neo Member
Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:
  • The modern-day bits of Assassin's Creed games have been my favorite parts of the series. I've always loved ARG's, so anything that makes me feel like I myself have even the slightest chance of playing a role in the events of the game gets a thumbs up from me.
  • QTE's (when done well) are not only good for gaming, but they are essential in certain games. If I'm doing a series of complex actions that would require multiple body movements in real life, simply pressing a "Dodge" button is not going to make me feel like I accomplished something.
  • I enjoyed PlayStation Home and wish Sony had maybe given it one more generation of development to really take advantage of the enhanced sharing capabilities of the PS4. The thought of coordinating game strategy with other players literally standing around a small-scale map of the level is the dream.

I think 90% of Ps4 first party games, pure garbage. Visual novels with deep like a puddle gameplay. There's exceptions, that's why it's not 100%.

PlayStation consoles are my favorites to play, because of the japanese and jp only games.

MORE lol

Series i don't like;

-zelda
-assassins creed
-uncharted
-halo
-metro
-tlou
-the witcher
-pokemon
-call of duty
-fifa
-gta
-monster hunter
-smash bros
-minecraft
-ratchet and clank
-metal gear (rising is awesome tho)
-battlefiled
-dark souls
-gears of war
-crackdown
-tom clancy
-donkey kong
-metroid
-battletoads
-kingdow hearts
-hitman
-every star wars game released (dont like the movies so...)
-lego
-Etc, etc, etc...

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Batiman

Banned
After being open minded about tlou2. I’m about to give it up. I didn’t jump on the hate wagon like Lot of people did but damn is this game just sooo fuckin boring. I have no idea how it scored as well as it did.

Vangellis

I thought the Witcher 3 sucked, and gave up after the 4th time trying to play it. This is a game I should have loved 🤷‍♂️

Nioh 2 was a game made by devs that wanted to troll the player. They also are indecisive and couldn't cut anything out of the game. Instead they layered it with so many mechanics its ridiculous. If you want to play an asthmatic ninja made of glass and likes to fight archers that can shoot a bow like a machine gun this is your game. Oh hope you like like overly shit loot with obtuse properties. (Still beat it and think I enjoyed it by the end.... I think?)

Reave

The Hitman series is fucking overrated. It's a glorified game of dress-up with stiff mechanics, a bland ass story, anti-climatic assassination options, and largely boring locales with a handful of exceptions.

How anyone enjoys replaying these levels dozens of times blows my mind. I don't see the appeal.

Carna

Banned
The Hitman series is fucking overrated. It's a glorified game of dress-up with stiff mechanics, a bland ass story, anti-climatic assassination options, and largely boring locales with a handful of exceptions.

How anyone enjoys replaying these levels dozens of times blows my mind. I don't see the appeal.
Damn, this is incredibly controversial

Corgi1985

Banned
After being open minded about tlou2. I’m about to give it up. I didn’t jump on the hate wagon like Lot of people did but damn is this game just sooo fuckin boring. I have no idea how it scored as well as it did.
Well all of naughty dog's games are boring with bad stories and bad controls.

Guilty_AI

I think 90% of Ps4 first party games, pure garbage. Visual novels with deep like a puddle gameplay.
Except actual visuals novels have much higher standards for stories.

I'll add this to my controversial opinions, western ps4 first party games stories are not all that good, usually ranging from 'meh' to 'ok'.
And yes, that includes TLoU. The story is just ok, its carried mostly by visuals and acting (for video game acting standards at least).

BlakeofT

Mega Man Battle Network 3 is the best Mega Man game. Mega Man Lengends is the second best.

Wii U was actually pretty good and had a fair amount of games worth playing.

Sonic Forces and Lost World aren't that bad.

D.Final

Banned
Mega Man Battle Network 3 is the best Mega Man game. Mega Man Lengends is the second best.

Wii U was actually pretty good and had a fair amount of games worth playing.

Sonic Forces and Lost World aren't that bad.
Battle Network is a really great series

I'm not offended. I'd love any reasons you have, even if they're short, for that list. Because there's hella good games in there.

But yeah, that list dumb af my dude.

No, it's not. It's taste, respect other people opinions mate...

You forgot how many AWESOME series we have in gaming industry ?

Later i quote you again and explain why i don't like those series, if is that important to you, i'll do.

No, it's not. It's taste, respect other people opinions mate...

You forgot how many AWESOME series we have in gaming industry ?

Later i quote you again and explain why i don't like those series, if is that important to you, i'll do.

Like I said, I'd love to see the reasons. You just listed a shitload of franchises that millions of people love/like/enjoy, I'm just wondering if you've played any of them or are just basing them off reviews or what.
It's a thread about "raising your flameshield" and "controversial gaming opinions". Don't get mad when you make a list like that with no reasoning and someone says your list is shite. Because in my OPINION, it's shite.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Resident Evil 0 is a legitimately good game, a very good Resident Evil, and is actually a couple of (serious) missteps from being a bona fide masterpiece. While on the topic of Resident Evil....

Resident Evil 6 is alright for what it is. Let me be clear, it's not a good Resident Evil game. Not even close. However, it does have some cool ideas and it does have potential. Just far too many QTE sequences.

I'll do you both one better and say all eight of the mainline Resident Evil games and their respective remakes are at least 'good'. Its a consistently quality series despite all the changes over the years.

Like I said, I'd love to see the reasons. You just listed a shitload of franchises that millions of people love/like/enjoy, I'm just wondering if you've played any of them or are just basing them off reviews or what.
It's a thread about "raising your flameshield" and "controversial gaming opinions". Don't get mad when you make a list like that with no reasoning and someone says your list is shite. Because in my OPINION, it's shite.

Yeah, I didn't play games...
Im 37yo never stop playing. I have a huge knowledge of games. So please, careful when u hide behind words, trying to say im a poser.

My facebook games collection album, maybe u change your mind about me;

Yeah, I didn't play games...
Im 37yo never stop playing. I have a huge knowledge of games. So please, careful when u hide behind words, trying to say im a poser.

My facebook games collection album, maybe u change your mind about me;

I wasn't saying you were a poser. That's a dope collection you got there.

What don't you like about the Metal Gear games? Zelda? GTA? Monster Hunter? Dark Souls? Pokemons? Metroid? Hitman?

I'm just trying to get your opinion on these series because I haven't seen someone with a list of mostly great franchises like that saying they're poodoo. You don't have to justify your list, I'm honestly just interested lol. I love games from almost every single one of those series so it'd be interesting to hear from someone who doesn't like any of them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I wasn't saying you were a poser. That's a dope collection you got there.

What don't you like about the Metal Gear games? Zelda? GTA? Monster Hunter? Dark Souls? Pokemons? Metroid? Hitman?

I'm just trying to get your opinion on these series because I haven't seen someone with a list of mostly great franchises like that saying they're poodoo. You don't have to justify your list, I'm honestly just interested lol. I love games from almost every single one of those series so it'd be interesting to hear from someone who doesn't like any of them.
He doesn't like what he doesn't like, even he does gives his reason, does it really matter?

Also its not that hard to figure out why he doesn't like some of the games on the list. He has DMCV avatar so I can guess that he likes fast paced combat which explains why he doesn't like games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls which have more deliberate and slower combat system.

Last edited:
He doesn't like what he doesn't like, even he does gives his reason, does it really matter?

Also its not that hard to figure out why he doesn't like some of the games on the list. He has DMCV avatar so I can guess that he likes fast pace combat which explains why he doesn't like games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls which have more deliberate and slower combat system.

It's a discussion board. I was trying to have a discussion. No, it doesn't really matter at all. I was interested, so I asked about it.

I asked for reasons he didn't like these franchises, like if he had played any of them or whatever. Because maybe we could have a discussion about the differing opinions. Instead I get some weird fucking replies lol. His avatar being from DMCV probably has nothing to do with what I was asking. There's like 390 pages of people discussing why they don't like certain games, going back and forth with reasons and shit, so I feel like these questions were relevant.

Top Bottom