• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Woggleman

Cyberpunk 2077 is better than GTA V and despite everything the way Rockstar milks the same game for profit since 2013 is more egregious than anything CDPR did.
RDR2 will be Rockstar's last moment of greatness
TLOU2 has some of the best combat ever in a third person game
Turn based RPGs are boring
Sony makes some of the best open worlds

Borderlands: The Presequel had the best vault hunters in the franchise. Borderlands 2‘s default vault hunters felt like more of the same, and the add-on vault hunters were the best. Borderlands 3’s vault hunters just feel uninspired and bland.

Also, Borderlands 3’s writing is an insult to intelligence. The first two games weren't anything worth writing home about either. Anyone that’s upset with the casting of the upcoming movie obviously think the story of the franchise is something that it’s clearly not. If anything, the casting fits the obnoxious, annoying meta humor perfectly.

Miles708

Games this gen have been exponentially better than the previous one, mainly because devs finally started ditching firearms.

Guns in videogames suck. There, i've said it.

And for this reason I'm terrified of Microsoft regaining footing in this new generation.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Mass effect andromeda has so many cut corners that i would actually call it “lazily put togeather”. Every asari has the same bad looking face model, same with every turian. In the original trilogy their was a lot more diversity among the faces of the asari and turians, and the icing on the cake, somehow, the texture work is worse on most npc’s than it is in mass effect 2 from 11 years ago. A lazily put togeather piece of shit, a slap in the face to fans of the series

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
GAAS profit models have started to make multiplayer games feel like homework and the fact that $20 to $40 battle passes are popular is proof positive that most gamers are irredeemable suckers.
It’s a tenner for the COD one but i agree .
i liked 2 seasons. But i just gave up

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Mass effect andromeda has so many cut corners that i would actually call it “lazily put togeather”. Every asari has the same bad looking face model, same with every turian. In the original trilogy their was a lot more diversity among the faces of the asari and turians, and the icing on the cake, somehow, the texture work is worse on most npc’s than it is in mass effect 2 from 11 years ago. A lazily put togeather piece of shit, a slap in the face to fans of the series

Andromeda has the best gameplay.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Andromeda has the best gameplay.
I agree that the combat is pretty good, but not good enough to carry everything else. I just finished running through the trilogy on 360 and the writing, characters, and many aspects of the presentation vastly dwarf andromeda. Those games are old, that stuff should have only improved. Instead they shat this fucking game out in 2017 with a half decent combat loop hoping it would make up for all the corners they obviously cut. As a mass effect fan, this game still stings

Spaceman292

Banned
I think it's more because they kept scrapping it and restarting and eventually ran out of time. It's got the feeling of a rushed homework assignment done the night before it's due. I really hope the remaster are good. I love Mass effect.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I think it's more because they kept scrapping it and restarting and eventually ran out of time. It's got the feeling of a rushed homework assignment done the night before it's due. I really hope the remaster are good. I love Mass effect.
Same, i hate andromeda, primarily because mass effect as a series deserves better. 1,2, and even 3 are some of my favorite games of all time, that universe and those characters are incredibly engrossing, and the fact that so little love and care went into a new mass effect game just felt like a betrayal

And as for it releasing unfinished because of several restarts, that happened with anthem, final fantasy xv, mgs v, and even destiny 1 as well. That definitely needs to stop this generation, we cant have more games like anthem and andromeda. Those games have put bioware on its death bed. Dragon age 4 is probably their last chance to put something good and successful out. If da4 bombs as well, im not so sure if that new mass effect game will ever come out

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Same, i hate andromeda, primarily because mass effect as a series deserves better. 1,2, and even 3 are some of my favorite games of all time, that universe and those characters are incredibly engrossing, and the fact that so little love and care went into a new mass effect game just felt like a betrayal

And as for it releasing unfinished because of several restarts, that happened with anthem, final fantasy xv, mgs v, and even destiny 1 as well. That definitely needs to stop this generation, we cant have more games like anthem and andromeda. Those games have put bioware on its death bed. Dragon age 4 is probably their last chance to put something good and successful out. If da4 bombs as well, im not so sure if that new mass effect game will ever come out
Yeah. Too many 'idea guys' with infinite budgets who end up overstreching. Didn't Andromeda initially have whole procedural planets like No Mans Sky or some shit? Who thought that would be realistic?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah. Too many 'idea guys' with infinite budgets who end up overstreching. Didn't Andromeda initially have whole procedural planets like No Mans Sky or some shit? Who thought that would be realistic?
The issue with video games is probably that a ton of different ideas get tossed around, and at some point they got to commit to a laundry list things and gun for it. Then 6 months later, 12 months later etc.... they hope it all comes together as it progresses.

Too much vague stuff and it seems making videos is a project manager's nightmare. And going by what you read about corporate culture and crunch, it seems many video game studios are run like the wild west.

Compare that to big companies I've worked at. Very organized, the company launches a totally new brand with 30 items all ready to go, designed, packaged in factories and and stocked in warehouses ready to go, tv ads, you got signs in store, etc.... The only time I've ever seen a bad launch was either we pulled the plug because hardly any retailers took it, or Health Canada didnt approve the product in time (could take a year). But we plan out things assuming they will approve and we have time to meet the launch time. To be fair sometimes an item or two gets delayed. But it'll be a 3 week or 3 month delay due to manufacturing delays or border/transportation, not a 3 year delay. And lots of stuff at my companies are made overseas which can be 12 week ocean freight, needs to get docked and shipped, and it still arrives on time.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
The issue with video games is probably that a ton of different ideas get tossed around, and at some point they got to commit to a laundry list things and gun for it. Then 6 months later, 12 months later etc.... they hope it all comes together as it progresses.

Too much vague stuff and it seems making videos is a project manager's nightmare. And going by what you read about corporate culture and crunch, it seems many video game studios are run like the wild west.

Compare that to big companies I've worked at. Very organized, the company launches a totally new brand with 30 items all ready to go, designed, packaged in factories and and stocked in warehouses ready to go, tv ads, you got signs in store, etc.... The only time I've ever seen a bad launch was either we pulled the plug because hardly any retailers took it, or Health Canada didnt approve the product in time (could take a year). But we plan out things assuming they will approve and we have time to meet the launch time. To be fair sometimes an item or two gets delayed. But it'll be a 3 week or 3 month delay due to manufacturing delays or border/transportation, not a 3 year delay. And lots of stuff at my companies are made overseas which can be 12 week ocean freight, needs to get docked and shipped, and it still arrives on time.
To be fair, sounds like the stuff you do is more important than video games.

here's mine for the big three platforming mascots.

Sonic Mania was just Ok, but nothing special, as it reused too many old stages for my taste, Sonic 3 & Knuckles is still the best Sonic game, speaking of Sonic, Sonic is better with a darker tone than a lighthearted one, he always had that anime edge, that's why i dislike Tyson Hesse, because he just grabs that style and takes away all the edge by making him more "cute", when Toei/Junio Sonic looked like something straight out of Dragon Ball, another series animated by Toei and Studio Junio, and i don't mind Sonic's friends either, as they add more flavor to sonic's world and make it more interesting lorewise than just having the same 4 characters doing the same things, wich if Mario showed me something, gets old fast (im talking about the New Super Mario Bros. games, the older Mario games had much more uniqueness between games), also saving the animals was only important in like two games prior to the 3D era anyways.

Speaking of Mario, Mario Sunshine is a better game than Odyssey and it's the weaker out of the original 3D Games, 64 is still the best 3D Mario game, and while i don't think Mario should have the deepest plots, as something simple is fine, they should do something that isn't saving the princess again once in a while like Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins.

Megaman Starforce is a more interesting concept than battle network, just merging with one of the most creative and cool-looking alien species ive seen in a videogame or an anime, is more interesting than the cheesy misadventures of Clippy, Cortana and Bonzi Buddy. i also the characters feel more real too, it's still cheesy but atleast they gave them more depth with a depressed protagonist who wants to find his father over yet another generic "Toy/Card Game Anime" protagonist, and i don't mind the stripped back gameplay. as it's more reaction-based than strategy based, closer to the platformers if anything.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
I find Balan Wonderworld to neither be an abomination or some great revival of the 3D platformer genre, just maybe just a solid 6 that I enjoyed more than most recent platformer games (yes, more than Mario Odyssey, and Crash 4)

ksdixon

Something 2K should do with the WWE games.
I want one live service WWE2K game. Just keep pumping that fucker full of caw parts like new hairstyles and clothes, created moves, created weapons, created arena stage pieces, new real or custom arenas (Japan Hall, high-school gym etc)/backstage arenas. Let it run for 2-3 years. Get a 2nd series up and running in the mean time, like tick-tocking WWE2K RAW and WWE 2K SD releases, perhaps.

Edit: aw shit! I surfed-in from the more recent thread and wasn't paying close enough attention. Sorry.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Switch is a POS console and Switch games are given a pass. Smash Bros is not a 93 and BOTW is not even remotely close to a 97.

Nintendo has gotten lazy and release unambitious games.

EruditeHobo

Anything that is created from scratch & can be enjoyed or experienced subjectley is an art form.

It's not. At least, it's not its own unique art form. And that is due to the simple reason that gaming is unique, when compared to those classical "arts" which are grouped and categorized as "art forms"; it has something which makes it categorically different. Thus, it need a new category.

That category is definitively distinct from "art forms" -- it is things which are created, which are very artistic and contain lots of elements of those other classical art forms, yet have something else that those art forms do not have. In the case of games, that "other" thing is a practical win/lose component, which is inextricable from the medium of games and which you will not find in any of the other classic "art forms".

At most, you'll find it in more avant garde/subcategories, or in specific art objects which are commenting on just that thing/where the lines are drawn.

All of the animators, modelers, concept, character, vfx, texture, etc artists that get paid to do what they do say you're full of shit.

Getting paid has nothing to do with anything. A painter that doesn't get paid is still an artist, aren't they?

Discussions about art, artistic, and "art form" are only categorical. People who really believe video games are an art form need an argument which accounts for the differences between "games" and something part of an "art form" like a film or a novel. Because there is that inextricable difference. And it doesn't make one better or worse than the other, it just means they are categorically different.

Individually, all of them are indeed making art.
But as a whole, the final product is not art.

Yes, this is correct.

A designer or a sculptor may arrange the furniture in your living room... doesn't make living rooms a piece of art, and certainly not a member of an art form.

I agree. Only exception being Mario Odyssey.
I agree, Mario Odyssey is the only Nintendo game that deserved its rating.
I hated Odyssey personally... I was depressed because my I was so Hyped... Probably my biggest gaming disappointment because of how much I loved galaxy 2... I was at a low point of my life and SMG2 pulled me out of that hole single handily by having me assign stars to my real life accomplishment and always fighting to get more.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Cyberpunk 2077 is as good as Witcher 3. And it should be compared to Witcher 3 and not GTA.
I agree. It has it's flaws but when it runs right it is a great game and should not be blamed for not being whatever game some people created in their heads. The way it runs on old consoles though they deserved to be flamed over.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Sonic Colors has the weakest soundtrack of any sonic game

Which is odd since it came out not long after Unleashed, that OST was amazing I played it like it was a normal album release

Heterosexual men who choose to play as female characters when given the option to either play as male or female are virgins who tell their mothers that they're worthless.

Asian video games suck. They oversexuaIize women for virgins and a lot of others are feminine. One example being that South Korean MMORPGs are exclusively meant for women.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I really didn't want to post this because I know many people loved the Insomniac announcements, but now this fucking thread returned to the first page. So, allow me to be an asshole for a moment...

The original Spider-Man games by Treyarch, Neversoft, and Vicarious Visions >>>>>>> any Marvel game Insomniac will ever make

Why? Because these original games made by these three devs actually feel like an old school comic book/cartoon instead of a contemporary movie/TV series.
The current Marvel movies and shows are pure cringe because these spandex-wearing superheroes will always look stupid in a serious setting. You are supposed to take them seriously, but I don't know how.
Insomniac as a game dev could have avoided this and made their games feel like something from the 80s, 90s, or even the 00s. Something that is fun, silly, and doesn't take itself TOO seriously. Instead, they made a soap opera.

So, yeah.. In my humble opinion, the original Activision-published games from the three devs I mentioned are better than the new ones. Treyarch's Ultimate Spider-Man is specifically the best of the bunch.

P.S.: I know the Insomniac formula works commercially and critically better than the old-school one. You don't have to tell me.
And I know that not all classic comic books are silly.

Heterosexual men who choose to play as female characters when given the option to either play as male or female are virgins who tell their mothers that they're worthless.

Asian video games suck. They oversexuaIize women for virgins and a lot of others are feminine. One example being that South Korean MMORPGs are exclusively meant for women.
Wow, you are so masculine. Us femboys could never aspire to be as manly and great as you.

Borderline heretical, even for me, but: Diablo 2 was great... at the time, because we didn't have anything like it. Nearly every hack and slash released since then was better overall, and the new remaster is so antiquated, gameplay-wise, that it is almost painful to play.

Vaelka

Americans ( at least as a generalized group online and in the entertainment industry ) are fucking retarded and are a plague in the industry.

No I am not saying that every single or even the majority are, but a very vocal and also powerful group are and they cause so much shit and have a negative effect on the industry and I am tired of it.
The industry could do with straying *away* from centralization in the US, the industry would be much better and funnily enough A LOT more diverse if it wasn't so Mericanized.

fart town usa

Gold Member
After playing through REmake a few times the past 2 weeks, I can say with 100% confidence that the script for Jill's scenario in 1996 RE is better than REmake.

Line delivery is better in REmake at times but the script itself is a step back IMO.

Chris' script in REmake is better than 1996 RE though.

teezzy

Banned
physical games are a waste or space and resources, the digital/streaming future is inevitable and people look like dinosaurs for trying to preserve them as far as retail goes

the most appealing aspect of a Series X is the backwards compatibility features so i can play my old plastic clutter as smoothly as possible

GamePass is a blessing to the industry and Xbox deserves to win this generation simply for that offering alone, as it's about time games caught up with movies and music

Minion Masters is one of the greatest games of all time and I'd put it neck and neck with whatever your favorite console's flagship title is

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk

After playing through REmake a few times the past 2 weeks, I can say with 100% confidence that the script for Jill's scenario in 1996 RE is better than REmake.

Line delivery is better in REmake at times but the script itself is a step back IMO.

Chris' script in REmake is better than 1996 RE though.
The cheese in the dialogue of the original Resident Evil is legendary. It makes the remake dialogue bland in comparison.

Top Bottom