• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Derrick01

Banned
I think CoD has some of the best FPS campaigns out there. Not sure if controversial though.

Out of the military FPS genre? Sure. They're fun roller coaster experiences.

But out of all FPS, maybe other than COD 4, they're way down the list. Just in the last year or so we've had Bulletstorm, Serious Sam 3, Rage, Resistance 3 and Crysis 2 which were all way more fun and creative than the typical military FPS'.

Work that one out.

I've often felt the American obsession with online gaming has led to the Single player campaign being relegated to an after thought in alot of games.

So whilst i wouldnt say 'Americans ruined console gaming', i would say they have pushed publishers in a direction i dont like.

Spawn,die,spawn,die,spawn,die...is not paticulary my idea of fun.

I'll take a focused, 20hr Half Life 2 campaign, over potential hundreds of hours of boring repetative, tedious variations on a theme, online shooting anyday.

Note: this is mainly aimed at PC games, console games are now the home of truly exciting single player campaigns, but seeing as i dont own, or want, a console, the focus on multiplayer gaming has left me cold TBH.

rjfs

Neo Member
I've often felt the American obsession with online gaming has led to the Single player campaign being relegated to an after thought in alot of games.

So whilst i wouldnt say 'Americans ruined console gaming', i would say they have pushed publishers in a direction i dont like.

I'll take a focused, 20hr Half Life 2 campaign, over potential hundreds of hours of boring repetative, tedious variations on a theme, online shooting anyday.

Note: this is mainly aimed at PC games, console games are now the home of truly exciting single player campaigns, but seeing as i dont own, or want, a console, the focus on multiplayer gaming has left me cold TBH.

Half Life 2 is an American game too.

xHAASx

Banned

Right. But "ruined"? It's all about a dissimilar route, as expressed by you.

Karuto

There were many really good PC games released that year that had great single player campaigns. The Witcher 2, Total War Shogun 2, To The Moon, Red Orchestra 2, Skyrim with its many promising mods on the horizon that you can't get on the consoles, the dozens of really good indie games that are PC exclusive...

This year you have Diablo III, Dishonored, Quantum Conundrum, Cartel (that Syndicate-inspired game by Paradox), Grim Dawn, Shadowrun, STALKER 2...

I don't see how consoles can be the home of truly exciting single player campaigns when the PC has plenty of its own, and a much better ratio of single player to multiplayer games than the consoles. I think you aren't looking hard enough!

EDIT: And I don't think you can blame Americans for that. You can call it a Western thing, but it's the entire gaming culture moving to a more online-focused environment. I mean, MMOs are huge in the East (and the online obsession is none more greater than in places like South Korea), and they love games like Call of Duty and Battlefield as much as people over here do. Some of the biggest games in Japan right now have nothing to do with single player campaigns and are very multiplayer-focused.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Minecraft sucks.
All JRPGs suck (from random combat to girly boys).
Nintendo make no interesting games (at least very few to me).
Nintendo lagging with technology is a joke.
Good graphics are pretty freakin important.
Tank controls ruined DR2 and RE5. Capcom sucks from not learning.
Fighting/sports/racing/dungeon crawler games are boring as hell.
Most of my top games are PS3 exclusives (not really controversial but many probably aren't the same)

Good to know I can just skip over your posts since I probably won't find anything remotely interesting about them.

Jokeropia

I honestly don't think Nintendo is going to be a console manufacturer for much longer.
This is as nonsensical now as last time you tried to push it.
Their mindshare is at an all-time low.
[citation needed]
And while the 3DS is selling well, it took a massive price cut to do so, one where Nintendo isn't even breaking even.
Systems not breaking even on hardware sales during the first year (or even years) is the norm for the industry. (Selling as well during the first year as 3DS now does however is not.) Even Nintendo are not strangers to the concept.
And to make matters worse - I'm sorry, I don't care how big of a company you are, and how much resources you have, you don't just shrug off a billion dollar loss.
Sony is posting a much bigger loss and has done so for four years running.
Unless the Wii U is a huge, Wii in December 2006-level hit, I think this time next year, Nintendo's shareholders will have enough, get Iwata canned, and put someone in to make investors happy and change around the business model, shutting down Wii U and 3DS production and moving into game development for the next gen of consoles.
That would be completely inane. I'm pretty sure Nintendo made more money this generation than any other company in the industry has done in their lifetimes, and long term no one has come even remotely close to matching the success of their business model. In fact, I believe they were the #1 money maker even during the GC/GBA generation where their handheld market was ~1/2 and their console market ~1/5 of this gen. Why ape the business model of less successful companies?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
That would be completely inane. I'm pretty sure Nintendo made more money this generation than any other company in the industry has done in their lifetimes, and long term no one has come even remotely close to match the success of their business model. In fact, I believe they were the #1 money maker even during the GC/GBA generation where their handheld market was ~1/2 and their console market ~1/5 of this gen. Why ape the business model of less successful companies?

I really doubt Nintendo made more money this gen than Microsoft has done since they were founded.

Jokeropia

If it wasn't obvious, I'm referring to game industry generated profits. So what Microsoft made in other industries isn't counted, and nor is it relevant when assessing gaming industry exclusive business models.

LosDaddie

Banned
That is very rarely the discussion, the more common discussion is exclusives. Games like Mass Effect, or the first Gears of War, or Alan Wake, cannot be counted as exclusives. I think this is basically what the others are attempting to get at.

Right. It comes down to can I play it on just that 1 console or not? And with quite a few 360 games the answer is no. You can't say that about any of Sony's games, they're only on their console.

Again, since it seems you ignored my other post, context matters. If the debate is about "exclusives" on each console, then it doesn't matter if said game(s) can be played on PC when they can't be played on the competing console. Use the term "console exclusive" if you're gettting too hung up on the term "exclusive" there. It's really not a difficult concept to grasp, and it's a tired, old debate.

Americans ruined console gaming.

Crazyness. The devs & pubs are just giving the market what it demands.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I never liked the PSP and I don't think I'm going to end up liking the Vita. I never, ever will understand the mentality of playing a console on the go portable experience.

Imagine if you don't have access to a tele, due to lack of having one or someone else using it often, yet you still want to play full sized sit down and play titles rather than pick-up and play short games.

This is as nonsensical now as last time you tried to push it.
[citation needed]
Systems not breaking even on hardware sales during the first year (or even years) is the norm for the industry. (Selling as well during the first year as 3DS now does however is not.) Even Nintendo are not strangers to the concept.
Sony is posting a much bigger loss and has done so for four years running.
That would be completely inane. I'm pretty sure Nintendo made more money this generation than any other company in the industry has done in their lifetimes, and long term no one has come even remotely close to matching the success of their business model. In fact, I believe they were the #1 money maker even during the GC/GBA generation where their handheld market was ~1/2 and their console market ~1/5 of this gen. Why ape the business model of less successful companies?

Okay, let me put this a different way. If you're right, then why is practically every analyst and gaming journalist out there saying that my opinion will come true? Not saying you're wrong, but you'd be hard pressed to see some sort of printed word over the last six months saying something positive about Nintendo.

TaroYamada

I see where you're coming from, but in the case of Sony, I don't know what "selling at a loss" has to do with them being the worst thing that ever happened to the industry when they brought great franchises to it. They entered the industry with a great interest in offering as much quality games as possible. They clearly didn't get into it for a quick buck.

Fortunately for them, and for many of us, they offered a pretty cool affordable console with a nice variety of games. Sega had the brand strength to keep up, but they couldn't and I don't think the blame is on anybody, but themselves. Nintendo ended up doing just fine, only that they ended up catering the casual market first and their long time fans second. That could be one of the worst things that has ever happened to the gaming industry, but that's another "tiresome" topic.

Also, Sony and MS have opened the doors for many small creative independent companies that are developing/have developed great games that you would normally only find on PC.

I think catering to the casual market is far worse than Sony and MS joining the consoles gaming industry. That's just me though.

Because I feel 'selling at a loss' is a very negative thing for any company that isn't Sony or MS, Nintendo had never sold hardware at a loss before Gamecube's launch, Sega never had before the PS1's price point forced them to drop Saturn's price. The only exception to each of those was when Nintendo cut loose unsold Virtual Boy's and Sega cut loose unsold 32X units, at least in the states. Basically selling at a loss is a anti-competitive tactic which is often used to kill the smaller companies, it's similar to the price cutting that GM, Ford and Chrysler practiced when attempting to deal with Studebaker-Packard and eventually AMC. Before Chrysler bought out AMC for their Jeep line because they realized it would be more expensive to develop their own competitor and as such decided to purchase the entirety of AMC for that one marquee. They only continued the 'Eagle' marquee because it was in their contract to do so for a number of years if I remember correctly.

Back into the gaming industry, obviously Sega is more responsible for their downfall than anyone else, but I also feel it is quite likely they would still be in the manufacturing business had Sony or MS never entered. Regardless, I never blamed Sony or MS for Sega's death. Not sure why that was brought into this, I was merely commenting on the fact that what Sony did in regards to pricing and the trend they started by selling their hardware at a loss -- a trend Microsoft joined in on, and Nintendo avidly tries to avoid -- is a technique that is used by companies with large revenue streams to push out small fry competitors. Not a fan of anti-competitive tactics like that, and I never will be.

Finally, those indie titles were doing fine on PC and still are, and most set ups can run them fine due to their low system requirements. I don't care if they are on consoles. In regards to Sony's contributions vs. Microsoft's, I agree, in terms of consoles I prefer Sony's efforts over Microsoft's. Uncharted 1/2 are in my top five games this generation, where as not a single MS game is in there or even in the top ten. Still, that's not really pertinent to this discussion as I never portrayed the quality of Sony's first party output in a negative light and never even mentioned it until you brought it up. My stance on Sony is largely in regards to their business practices, same with Microsoft, and before we get even further I'll clarify that I consider Microsoft's practices worse.

Maaseru

Banned
Although I love Ocarina of Time for what it is, I don't get why it is so loved for what it isn't, original. My first thought upon finishing or getting late into the game was that it was the same game as a link to the past just different. Same structure is mainly what I mean. 3 start dungeons, past/dark world another 5, o no wait ALTTP had 6 or 7 after so yeah it the better game and my favorite IMO.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Although I love Ocarina of Time for what it is, I don't get why it is so loved for what it isn't, original. My first thought upon finishing or getting late into the game was that it was the same game as a link to the past just different. Same structure is mainly what I mean. 3 start dungeons, past/dark world another 5, o no wait ALTTP had 6 or 7 after so yeah it the better game and my favorite IMO.

I think Ocarina of Time isn't the best game to come out of 1998. I'd rank Daytona USA 2, Need for Speed III and Half-Life ahead of it, and that's off of the top of my head.

TaroYamada

I think Ocarina of Time isn't the best game to come out of 1998. I'd rank Daytona USA 2, Need for Speed III and Half-Life ahead of it, and that's off of the top of my head.

I agree with Daytona, probably one of the few who would. Also Metal Gear Solid, Dragon Force II, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Gran Turismo. I'd probably take OOT over MGS, but not the other 3. Some other PS1 goodies were Resident Evil 2, and I believe Xenogears was out that year.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Not impressed how JRPG fans sometimes rip on Golden Sun when its brought up in a discussion. I'd say it's a humble series, with some great production value for its time and platform. Not amazing in comparison, but not terrible.

Yet I think some Final Fantasy fans just like having a punching bag.

TaroYamada

Not impressed how JRPG fans sometimes rip on Golden Sun when its brought up in a discussion. I'd say it's a humble series, with some great production value for its time and platform. Not amazing in comparison, but not terrible.

Yet I think some Final Fantasy fans just like having a punching bag.

I liked Golden Sun, but I think it's more because of Golden Sun being a step down from some of Sonic Software Planning's previous titles. Or Camelot Software Planning's, rather.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Nintendo should make a more mature main series Pokemon game to cater to the grownup fans. Or make the games for older people by default, with an optional "child setting".

Iron sight aiming is stupid, and all FPS's should have a discernible jump.

Zelda games shouldn't have Ganon in them anymore. I was going to say that Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game, but apparently quite a lot of people already agree with that sentiment.

Eusis

It also is excessively verbose for how simple the stories really are, being a lot more concise would go a LONG way given the base games are sound enough, not to mention NOT insulting players who know what they're doing. Don't think it's really an FF fan thing so much as a general JRPG fan thing anyway, games like Trails in the Skies are just as verbose if not moreso, but the story it's telling is far more engaging and likeable, whereas I just want to ADVENTURE in Golden Sun.

Redford

aka Cabbie
It also is excessively verbose for how simple the stories really are, being a lot more concise would go a LONG way given the base games are sound enough, not to mention NOT insulting players who know what they're doing. Don't think it's really an FF fan thing so much as a general JRPG fan thing anyway, games like Trails in the Skies are just as verbose if not moreso, but the story it's telling is far more engaging and likeable, whereas I just want to ADVENTURE in Golden Sun.

It does get pretty wordy, I know all my friends couldn't stand the first game because it wouldn't let you play until an hour in.

But it is overwhelming in a good way for first-time RPG players (you feel like it's a much more epic story than it is), and then they go back and see how pointless much of the dialogue is. Not that it's a bad story, just nothing fantastic.

In other words, it's baby's first RPG in a lot of respects. And that's okay if you ask me.

dwu8991

Banned
I'm sick of having to unlock things through playing the game, earning virtual money and then having to spend them at the shop.

Ricky_R

Because I feel 'selling at a loss' is a very negative thing for any company that isn't Sony or MS, Nintendo had never sold hardware at a loss before Gamecube's launch, Sega never had before the PS1's price point forced them to drop Saturn's price. The only exception to each of those was when Nintendo cut loose unsold Virtual Boy's and Sega cut loose unsold 32X units, at least in the states. Basically selling at a loss is a anti-competitive tactic which is often used to kill the smaller companies, it's similar to the price cutting that GM, Ford and Chrysler practiced when attempting to deal with Studebaker-Packard and eventually AMC. Before Chrysler bought out AMC for their Jeep line because they realized it would be more expensive to develop their own competitor and as such decided to purchase the entirety of AMC for that one marquee. They only continued the 'Eagle' marquee because it was in their contract to do so for a number of years if I remember correctly.

Back into the gaming industry, obviously Sega is more responsible for their downfall than anyone else, but I also feel it is quite likely they would still be in the manufacturing business had Sony or MS never entered. Regardless, I never blamed Sony or MS for Sega's death. Not sure why that was brought into this, I was merely commenting on the fact that what Sony did in regards to pricing and the trend they started by selling their hardware at a loss -- a trend Microsoft joined in on, and Nintendo avidly tries to avoid -- is a technique that is used by companies with large revenue streams to push out small fry competitors. Not a fan of anti-competitive tactics like that, and I never will be.

Finally, those indie titles were doing fine on PC and still are, and most set ups can run them fine due to their low system requirements. I don't care if they are on consoles. In regards to Sony's contributions vs. Microsoft's, I agree, in terms of consoles I prefer Sony's efforts over Microsoft's. Uncharted 1/2 are in my top five games this generation, where as not a single MS game is in there or even in the top ten. Still, that's not really pertinent to this discussion as I never portrayed the quality of Sony's first party output in a negative light and never even mentioned it until you brought it up. My stance on Sony is largely in regards to their business practices, same with Microsoft, and before we get even further I'll clarify that I consider Microsoft's practices worse.

This isn't a MS vs Sony thing for me, even though it may look like it. I just had more experience with Sony and their platforms than with MS. Anyway, I still don't see how Sony is the worst thing that happened to the industry no matter their tactics. If you think selling at a loss really harmed anybody in the gaming industry then I can understand your annoyance, if you hate those practices, but saying they are the worst thing is too far-fetched IMO.

Like I said, they came into this industry with an interest to provide great games and they have been doing so since they started. How can a company that has brought a lot more options for gamers and a lot more great franchises that people still enjoy to this day be the worst thing that ever happened to the industry? I just don't see it.

When I put things on a scale, I just end up with a company who has served gamers wonderfully since they entered the gaming industry as a platform holder and I honestly can't find anything that big(negatively) for me to agree with such a strong statement. We will have to agree to disagree.

Tekken is the only popular fighting game franchise currently being released that continually rewards the player for the time put into it.

Yet it has been actively moving in the reverse direction since T5.... Seven years ago....

Figure that one out.

LosDaddie

Banned
Super Mario Galaxy is the best Mario game ever made.

Tell me about SMG1.

I'm (finally) currently playing the game. I have 104 stars as of last night, and getting ready to take on Bowser tonight. Is it worth it to get the other 15 stars for whatever special surpise you get afterwards? (I don't plan on ever re-playing the game...at least not for a few years...too many other backlog games.)

The market demands what is marketed to them.

To a point, yes. Devs & pubs test the market to see what works/sells, and what doesn't. Then they create the product that will sell and thus, make them money to operate & expand their business. Basically, this is Business 101.

There would be a lot more of these (niche) JPN titles in the market if they sold better.

Tain

I agree with Daytona, probably one of the few who would. Also Metal Gear Solid, Dragon Force II, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Gran Turismo. I'd probably take OOT over MGS, but not the other 3. Some other PS1 goodies were Resident Evil 2, and I believe Xenogears was out that year.

There are a lot of 1998 games I'd take over OoT, and I don't particularly dislike OoT. Half-Life, Dangun Feveron, Metal Gear Solid, EspRaDe, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Gunbird 2, Spikeout, Tenchu, VOOT, Tetris the Grandmaster, House of the Dead 2, KoF 98, and so on. It's a pretty big list, really.

To a point, yes. Devs & pubs test the market to see what works/sells, and what doesn't. Then they create the product that will sell and thus, make them money to operate & expand their business. Basically, this is Business 101.

There would be a lot more of these (niche) JPN titles in the market if they sold better.

No, you make the game then market the shit out of it. That's the trick. It's the same "trick" used since the 80's to get kids to buy toys and watch the show based on the toys (so that they market each other in a loop) Nobody "tests the market" in this industry. That would be a waste of money when your customers are so easily persuaded to buy anything if marketed properly.

If people tested the market in this industry, the word "demo" wouldn't mean, in game culture context, what it means today. You would actually be asked what you want in a game, but you never are and you never will be, because, like children, gamers don't know what they want in terms of specifics, they just want to "get hype." They are easily predictable and have little to no nuance whatsoever. As long as your game has the proper checkmarks (extreme levels of familiarity? check. Violence? check. Does your platformer have mario in it? check), great, you're good to go.

So you get "hype" with overly positive previews by the hype masters aka "gaming journalists", screenshots, false trailers, commercials, etc. None of those things I listed are testing the market, the game is being made already with faith that the sellers can easily persuade you to buy their game like a bunch of sheep...and it works wonderfully nearly every time if enough money is spent selling you what you never asked for.

By the time they actually test the market with a demo, the game is coming out in a week or month and there is no turning back. Besides, there isn't much needed for testing the market when there are hundreds of games coming out a year and they're all pretty much aiming for the same 2 markets and doing the exact same thing to get their interest. The trick is to stand out and the way to do that with gamers is to market the shit out of them until they can't help but to buy your game. This is why games are made and THEN seek a publisher more often than the other way around.

And if anything, Japan lost the marketing war this gen...which is why they "won" previous gens. Blame it on microsoft, really.

qq more

Nintendo should make a more mature main series Pokemon game to cater to the grownup fans. Or make the games for older people by default, with an optional "child setting".
Terrible idea. Pokemon appeals to everybody, not just kids. So there's absolutely no point to that. Plus, asking for a mature Pokemon is no different than asking for a mature Sonic.

Zelda games shouldn't have Ganon in them anymore. I was going to say that Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game, but apparently quite a lot of people already agree with that sentiment.

Mostly agreeing with this, however. I'm glad to hear that Ganondorf wasn't in
Skywards Sword.
As cool as he was in OoT, he shouldn't be in every mainline Zelda.

Also, I really want Majora's Mask 3D. 3D MOON, MAKE IT HAPPEN NINTENDO!

Jokeropia

Okay, let me put this a different way. If you're right, then why is practically every analyst and gaming journalist out there saying that my opinion will come true? Not saying you're wrong, but you'd be hard pressed to see some sort of printed word over the last six months saying something positive about Nintendo.
That's a bit of a hyperbole, but either way, treating gaming journalists or analysts as prophets is a very bad idea. Here're some blasts from the past:
Michael Pachter said:
in five years it will look like this:: Microsoft at 30-35 percent, Sony at 45-55 percent, and Nintendo at what's left.
Strategy Analytics said:
The report predicts that Sony will sell 121.8 million PS3s worldwide through 2012. Sales of Xbox 360s are expected to reach 58.8 million and of Nintendo's Revolution nearly 18 million. Cumulative retail revenues for all consoles over this period will exceed $47bn.
SIG said:
SIG has compared year-by-year sales and estimates for the first five years of each machine's life, using sell-in and factory shipments. It points out that in its first year both PSP and DS managed around 13 million units each, with DS slightly ahead.

Year two cumulative stats give PSP 25 million over DS' 22 million. In Year Three the difference rises to ten million (38m to 28m). In Year Four, PSP's lead has stretched to 15 million and to 20 million by Year Five.
Citigroup said:
A report released by Citigroup (C) on Jan. 16 predicts that Xbox 360 will hold its lead and edge out the PlayStation 3 in the U.S. at the peak of the next cycle, selling an estimated 8 million units in 2008 compared with 7.1 million PlayStation 3s in that year (for a grand total of 19.8 million since launch vs. 11 million, respectively). Citigroup expects Nintendo to have sold 3.9 million Revolution systems by 2008.
In-Stat said:
Through 2010, the Sony PS3 will account for just over 50% of the installed base of next-generation consoles, while the Microsoft Xbox 360 will have 28.6%, and the Nintendo Revolution will have 21.2%, the high-tech market research firm says.
Nomura Securities said:
Yuta Sakurai, an analyst at Nomura Securities in Tokyo, says PS3 will sell 71 million units by 2011 compared with an estimated 40 million units for Wii.
Yankee group said:
The group predicts that the PS3 will capture 44 percent of cumulative console sales in North America by 2011, with 30 million units sold. Microsoft is expected to sell nearly 27 million units, taking up 40 percent of the market, while the Wii is forecasted to sell a little over 11 million units, accounting for just 16 percent of the market.
IDG (International Development Group) said:
North American yearly sales through 2010

X360
2006 4.9 Million / 5.6 million
2007 6 Million / 11.6 million
2008 5.3 million / 16.9 million
2009 4.1 million / 21.1 million
2010 2.8 million / 23.9 million

PS3
2006 0.9 Million / 0.9 million
2007 5.6 million / 6.5 million
2008 6.3 million / 12.7 million
2009 5.6 million / 18.4 million
2010 5.2 million / 23.5 million

Wii
2006 1.1 Million / 1.1 million
2007 3.4 million / 4.5 million
2008 3.9 million / 8.4 million
2009 3.1 million / 11.4 million
2010 2.2 million / 13.6 million
SFG Research said:
The cumulative NORTH AMERICAN sales for each platform are as follows:

Xbox 360
2006: 6.0m
2007: 12.7m (6.7m)
2008: 19.5m (6.8m)
2009: 24.9m (5.4m)
2010: 29.4m (4.5m)

PlayStation 3
2006: 0.5m
2007: 7.6m (7.1m)
2008: 13.8m (6.2m)
2009: 19.5m (5.7m)
2010: 24.2m (4.7m)

Nintendo Wii
2006: 2.0m
2007: 5.3m (3.3m)
2008: 8.6m (3.3m)
2009: 11.4m (2.8m)
2010: 13.5m (2.1m)

The cumulative WORLDWIDE sales for each platform are as follows:

Sony PlayStation 3
2006: 1.0m
2007: 19.5m (18.5m)
2008: 35.5m (16.0m)
2009: 50m (14.5m)
2010: 62m (12m)

Xbox 360
2006: 10m
2007: 20.5m (10.5m)
2008: 30.5m (10.0m)
2009: 39m (8.5m)
2010: 46m (7.0m)

Nintendo Wii
2006: 4.0M
2007: 10.5m (6.5m)
2008: 16.5m (6.0m)
2009: 21.5m (5.0m)
2010: 25.0m (3.5m)
(Thanks to JoshuaJSlone for keeping track of the predictions.)

LosDaddie

Banned
No, you make the game then market the shit out of it. That's the trick. It's the same "trick" used since the 80's to get kids to buy toys and watch the show based on the toys (so that they market each other in a loop) Nobody "tests the market" in this industry. That would be a waste of money when your customers are so easily persuaded to buy anything if marketed properly.

So much drivel in one post. Games aren't created in a vacuum.

Marketing helps, yes, but it won't convince consumer to keep buying/supporting a product they don't like. If gamers didn't like CoD, then they would stop buying it every year. Marketing only helps insofar as letting consumer know your product exists, and getting said consumers to purchase your product for the first time. The product needs to actually be worth the investment if the business wants continued support. There is no "trick" involved.

Also, nearly every new game is a test of the market. If said game is successful, then dev/pub will iterate on the product. Heck, even sequels still test the market with new ideas & features....ideas & features that are either expanded upon, or taken out depending on their success.

And as a father of a 3yr old, I wouldn't use kids as the measuring stick of marketing efficiency. Kids are highly persuadable. That's one reason why I don't let my daughter watch too much TV, she wants everything shown on commercials. Adults are more discerning.

Blame it on microsoft, really.

No, not really. :lol
JPN lost their dominance this gen because their games no longer have mass market appeal. That's not Microsoft's fault.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So much drivel in one post. Games aren't created in a vacuum.

Marketing helps, yes, but it won't convince consumer to keep buying/supporting a product they don't like. If gamers didn't like CoD, then they would stop buying it every year. Marketing only helps insofar as letting consumer know your product exists, and getting said consumers to purchase your product for the first time. The product needs to actually be worth the investment if the business wants continued support. There is no "trick" involved.

Also, nearly every new game is a test of the market. If said game is successful, then dev/pub will iterate on the product. Heck, even sequels still test the market with new ideas & features....ideas & features that are either expanded upon, or taken out depending on their success.

And as a father of a 3yr old, I wouldn't use kids as the measuring stick of marketing efficiency. Kids are highly persuadable. That's one reason why I don't let my daughter watch too much TV, she wants everything shown on commercials. Adults are more discerning.

No, not really. :lol
JPN lost their dominance this gen because their games no longer have mass market appeal. That's not Microsoft's fault.

I find it pretty hard to believe that one day American consumers simply woke up and decided not to bother with all the Japanese franchises they've been playing since the 8-bit era. Marketing has a huge role to do with sales, there are a lot of great games that people would really appreciate (and would develop a nice niche market) with a bit of an advertising push. Hell, just look at the Tales series - best selling game in the series in America was Symphonia which was also the most marketed one (not necessarily the best in the series). Same reason why Lost Odyssey was more successful than any other 360 RPG - the fact that it actually got TV spots.

There are niche games that have appeal to non-hardcore customers, but the US customer base has gotten extremely conservative in their buying habits (probably due to the economy) and overwhelming amount of games to pick from... so the average joe will buy what he sees on TV, what is getting hype and huge marketing budgets thrown behind it, and not be willing to take a risk on an unproven genre/franchise/etc.

Karuto

I find Sony personally to be one of the best things to happen to the industry, strictly from a technological standpoint. I mean, they made people seriously look at CDs for a change instead of cartridges (yes, I know other consoles tried CDs, but the software wasn't there like on the PS1). Then with the PS2, you have DVDs leading the charge when the Dreamcast was still on CDs, which revolutionized the gaming industry as PCs didn't even use DVDs as a standard until later on. Now, you have BluRay technology, which, say what you want, presents another leap forward in technology that is set to overtake DVDs as a standard if the rumors of Microsoft putting those in the next Xbox are true. The fact you can have uncompressed video and sound on this large discs is pretty fascinating, and Sony aren't so self-centered as to make it some sort of proprietary technology like Nintendo is doing with the WiiU. When we're talking about leaps and bounds in technology, Nintendo certainly wasn't leading that charge, and they're only now getting around to doing it with the WiiU. And if you lash back by saying why on earth you would need photo-realistic graphics, even 2D games like Disgaea need huge amounts of processing power to run a game like that. Sure, they may be selling at a loss and you can call it anti-competitive all you want, but Sony is pushing brand new technology forward even while Nintendo has much deeper pockets than they do. Nintendo aren't the innocent ones here if you want to take about leveraging power and money in the marketplace. If you think that selling the PS3 at $599 in America and still selling at a loss was anti-competitive when it cost them more than that to build the PS3, then I don't understand what you're saying.

Microsoft... I mean, it's good that they're lending competition, but man, I really don't like how they buy exclusivity at such a bigger scale than Sony or Nintendo. Sony certainly does it, but it's not as obvious as Microsoft. The fact that Microsoft has very few first-party studios and hedges their bets by buying, for example, Modern Warfare 3 map packs to have on their system a month ahead of even Call of Duty Elite members on the PC and PS3, I think that's the biggest problem the industry has when it comes to delivering content.

GodDuckman said:

Yeah, I agree with the poster above who replied to this quote. Opinion =/= fact. Of course you'll point out people that reinforce your opinion. It's the same reason someone would like a journalist that gives a game they like a good score, but rag on those that give it a poor score. If we listened to all of the analysts and took their opinion as gold, Michael Pachter would have shrines dedicated to him for his ability to predict the future. lol. It's like the whole NINTENDO IS DOOOOOOOMED forecast a majority of analysts gave when, hey, they're doing just fine right now with the 3DS.

LosDaddie said:

There are plenty of JPN games that are dominating the market right now. Look at all the Mario and Resident Evil games, among other titles. If we're talking JRPGs, that's because like everything else, it works in a cycle like the fight genre. Give it a few years and we may see a return to huge popularity. I don't think it's right to count them out for good, especially when people are still really excited for good amount of other JRPGs like Xenoblade, The Last Story, Tales of Xillia, and Persona 5.

ruimound

I had to force myself to finish Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. I played one day (roughly an hour's worth in real-time) of Majora's Mask and put it down for good. Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda game.

Top Bottom