• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Lancehead

[...] You can give the intended answer without having to know all the back story, whereas with the classical 'pick a line' you have to know every concept in that line, and consequently have to slog through endless lore before you can make meaningful decisions.

I don't understand this. What concepts and lore does one have to learn to pick a dialogue option, whether it's paraphrased or not? As long as one is paying attention to the events of the story (which is expected of the player), paraphrased lines on a dialogue wheel don't make any difference to the outcome of the conversation.

Ooo... I never did get around to this.

-PC gamers ARE pirates. (Ever see anyone adding the cost of an OS to the builds in those PC building threads? Yeah, exactly.)
-Girls ruined the Final Fantasy franchise.
-On the subject of Final Fantasy, VI and IX have become far more overrated than VII. Also, IX was never even particularly good to begin with.
-Old games really were better.
-Everything Warhammer is the most retarded shit I've ever seen, artistically speaking.
-You deserve Ubisoft's shit if you buy their games.
-Every western RPG developer is HORRIBLY overrated. Obsidian, Bethesda, Bioware, and yes, especially Blizzard. "But Blizzard makes good games!" Honey, if you spend THAT goddamn long developing a game, it damn well better be good.
-Tetris is the best video game ever.
-Nothing will be different with next-gen games except publishers will soon dick you around and make you register, login, download and update software for multiple "services" while being connected to them online at all times (assuming one isn't down for reasons unknown, in which case, no games for you), probably make you watch some advertisements unless you are paying some kind of special subscription, and then will only save your games to a remote server (which will lose them occasionally) all in order to play your own damn games (assuming you actually own them and don't just have temporary rights to play them which are subject to change at their discretion without notification as per the EULA you agreed to upon the purchasing of your title, even though technically you could not SEE the EULA until AFTER you purchased the game). By the way, the license for that game is only valid for that one console that you activated it for, so better be extra careful about that GPU not frying!

And you are going to just sit there and take it. And publishers will report record earnings.

nHDR

Banned
MGS1 is overrated. Good game but overrated.

-Awful controls (MGS2 also has awful controls).
-Camera angles can make stealth a hassle sometimes, also shooting.

Instead of the 9.5 that people usually give it, I'd say its a game worthy of an 8.5/10. Good, as I said, but overrated.

I have a hard time believing the NinjaFromTheFuture post. :\

Anyway, I thought of another one. I think Baten Kaitos Origins is the most underrated JRPG ever.

xHAASx

Banned
I have a hard time believing the NinjaFromTheFuture post. :\

He debarred.
hmm.png

Diablos

It's only controversial here, but, I think FF12 is crap.

It's essentially an offline MMO circa 2002-2004 that plays itself. You can interrupt but it's clearly designed for heavy gambit involvement. Either way it's a snorefest. ADB tried way too hard and frankly underdelivered. The sense of exploration was nice, but the combat left much to be desired.

It's weird... FF12 finally opened up FF like never before, only to have awful combat. FF13 on the other hand had great combat but was essentially in an uninspired corridor world that was as boring as FF12's combat.

But yeah, 12 is the worst post-SNES FF. I know it's not a very popular thing to say around here, but that's how I feel.

-PC gamers ARE pirates. (Ever see anyone adding the cost of an OS to the builds in those PC building threads? Yeah, exactly.)

It seems silly not to think that they might be re-using an OS they previously bought, or even using a free one like Ubuntu? Windows 7 is so cheap if you just pull out a .edu address. $35 is not breaking the bank.

Outside of a small handful of development companies japanese game development is so bad I consider them hacks at this point.

In the voice of Mitch Hedbeg (RIP): Con-TRO-Versial!!

A good 98% of the people out there crying about the amount of sequels and a lack of creativity in the industry should shut the fuck up because they don't actually want anything different and are themselves completely to blame for the situation in the first place.

You sicken me. You 98%

What a way to go out. Apparently he doesn't realise that Windows licenses are transferable, or that a lot of us buy from system builders who throw in an OEM copy of an OS for next to nothing.

I guess PC gamers are all keyboard and mouse thieves too...

That's actually why they sent me to Australia in the first place.

Karuto

A good 98% of the people out there crying about the amount of sequels and a lack of creativity in the industry should shut the fuck up because they don't actually want anything different and are themselves completely to blame for the situation in the first place.

You sicken me. You 98%

Proud to be of the 2%. ;-)

As for the comment that all PC gamers are thieves, I don't think any big tech site ever has thrown in a copy of an OS as part of the costs when it comes to system building because, you know, they're not so narrow-minded as to think people only use Windows. Heck, many people buy copies of Mac OSX and hackintosh their way in either for fun or for work. And girl gamers didn't ruin Final Fantasy - whatever damage it did, it did unto itself. lol

Dead space is terrible. The action is average at the very best, it's not very pretty, all scares are predictable and stupid as it throws them at you all the fucking time. Music is pretty good but everything else is really not that good. Really the reason for my strong hate is probably that there is a lot of potential, it's just so badly done.

Odrion

Banned

You sicken me. You 98%
I like it when a game gets a second installment, but that's it. It's with the second game a developer gets to refine rough aspects, and go into the project with lessons learned from the previous game.

The third installment usually sucks.

but that is usually the case for movies out there, has there even been a good film trilogy?

spirity

I like it when a game gets a second installment, but that's it. It's with the second game a developer gets to refine rough aspects, and go into the project with lessons learned from the previous game.

but that is usually the case for movies out there, has there even been a good film trilogy?

LOTR. But yeah, there aren't many. The original Star Wars trilogy perhaps. Alien 1 + 2 were great, 3 not so much.

Persona7

Banned
I fucking loathe the control scheme for skyward sword. I will never replay that game. I sold my copy of the game with the golden remote and made a healthy profit.

It has many more problems but the controls basically killed it for me.

I loved Halo: ODST more than any other game in the franchise. I still listen to the soundtrack all the time.

That's not the height of my gaming shame, but it'll do!

spekkeh

Banned
Sorry for going there again, but,

I'm now replaying ME1 (as buildup towards the ME3 release), and the story is definitely not as good as I remember it, it's pretty horribly paced with many a dull moment. My rose-tinted glasses concerning the story probably have to do with a) the fact that it was all still new and b) the epiphany preluding the final half hour (not there yet, so have to see how that even holds up).

It was the one thing that I preferred from ME1 over ME2, so now I have to conclude that ME2 is better in EVERY respect. (well except for novelty of the world)

RedSwirl

Yeah, Archie is still around. Though I don't know how many NEW stories they produce per year. I went and bought a volume since I was reading up on old comics I used to enjoy, and found they were quite boring.

Still one issue a month, plus a side comic called Sonic Universe, and in my opinion it's gotten a lot better recently since they hired that new writer. Some pretty serious shit has actually gone down in the last few issues that involves a lot of the old characters from the 90's issues.

Yeah, games usually are the opposite of movies. Most of the times the sequel outdoes the original in almost every way.

As for good movie trilogies, well:

- Star Wars
- Back to the Future
- Indiana Jones
- Terminator (I don't how the 3rd film was received, but I liked it)

That's just off the top of my head.

ChuyMasta

Im ok with the how the Wii looks on a 55" or bigger TV. The comments from users on how "horrible" it looks is far from the truth on my experience. I love how Ps3 games and I love hooking up my PC to the TV no doubt, but I don't mind playing the Wii as well. If there's a an exclusive game I want for that system, I'll play it. The moment said game plays without major flaws on the Dolphin, I'll play it there.

LosDaddie

Banned
Yep pretty much, Too bad americans don't understand this and actually enjoy the shit they've created.

image.php

Im ok with the how the Wii looks on a 55" or bigger TV. The comments from users on how "horrible" it looks is far from the truth on my experience. I love how Ps3 games and I love hooking up my PC to the TV no doubt, but I don't mind playing the Wii as well. If there's a an exclusive game I want for that system, I'll play it. The moment said game plays without major flaws on the Dolphin, I'll play it there.

I game on a 61" 1080p LCD and the Wii looks fine. I'm finishing up SMG1 tonight (got 120 stars last night), and it's been a beauty on my HDTV.

ronito

I guess it's time I throw my stuff in

- RTS games have nothing to do with strategy. Instead they are actually resource management games. Whoever can get x the quickest tends to win.

- I don't care about graphics anymore. It's all about art direction. I don't care if it's stick figures, if it all fits together then I don't care.

- It's gotten to a point where fully animated CG cut scenes are a drag on the overall game. I'd rather that money go to making the game fun.

- FPSes can be silly with the whole "I'm a badass" so much so they're laughable.

- jRPGs need to stop focusing on teens.

- Every game needs humor.

- Most of Sakimoto's (and in turn a lot of Basiscape's) works tend to be monochromatic and utterly forgettable (and don't pull that, "You just don't get it!" card. I majored in music. I get it. I just don't care.)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Just Cause 2 is better than any GTA game.

JC2 is awesome, but I don't think those two are really comparable. GTA uses missions to tell a (arguably shitty) story, while JC2 has a deliberately awful story just to give you an excuse to blow shit up and cause mayhem. They're both open-world games, but they aim for completely different things.

- jRPGs need to stop focusing on teens.

They tried with Nier, and I blame everyone who didn't buy it for the lack of a sequel. Besides, aren't teenagers the main audience for JRPGs domestically?

chiablo

Since there's currently a Final Fantasy thread...

Final Fantasy VII is the most overrated game of all time.

The switch to 3D made this one of the worst looking games of all time (Limbo of the Lost is more graphically impressive.) There is absolutely no reason why the in-combat characters are made of high quality models where the out of combat characters look like Lego MiniFigs. The writing is terrible and it essentially all boils down to Sephiroth being the world's biggest emo who misses his dead mother. The only positive thing I can say about FF7 is that the Materia system was an interesting way of handling magic.

And don't get me started on FF8, I think Spoony has that well covered: The Spoony One's extended review.

chiablo

- RTS games have nothing to do with strategy. Instead they are actually resource management games. Whoever can get x the quickest tends to win.

I agree with you to a certain point. At low level play, this is entirely the case. But after watching hundreds of GSL (Global Starcraft 2 League) games, I can guarantee you that it is not always who gets there first, but who does it smarter. If Player A gets Mutalisks lightning fast, it doesn't do any good against an overwhelming army of Marines that Player B has been building since the beginning of the game.

Jamesways

Haven't posted in here for a long time, but since I just got my imported copy from the UK a few days ago I'll add-

I think WRC2 is a better rally experience than Dirt 3.

Top Bottom