• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

I'm not a huge Zelda fan but I agree that PH and ST aren't as bad as people made them out to be (especially ST) but ehhhhh I think MC is a much better game. But to each their own! (What did you think of MC overall though? Personally I love it)

And yeah I don't think I enjoyed the original LOZ much either. But for different reasons. You never start with FULL health after dying. Seriously, hate restarting with 3 hearts when I have 6 at maximum. Bad enough recovery hearts are kind of hard to get. I'd also like to mention the game is feels kind of too cryptic sometimes.

I shudder every time people want Zelda to go back to be like the original game.

I love MC but it's a "good" Zelda, to me. It's shortish, very easy and coming from the Oracle games I was expecting a bit more in terms of lenght and dungeons. I just dont understand the huge hype surrounding the title, is all

people are just annoyed by the fact ST and PH have vehicles and touch controls. Personally I loved them

gears of war and metal gear solid 4 were only considered good because they were the first "big" exclusives on their platform.

Metal Gear Solid has always had an god awful story, that thinks its being clever but really isn't.

The top 10 "hd" games of this generation were all multiplatform.

Name them. I'd go so far to say that most of the best games this gen have been exclusives.

Jarlaxle

I'm not a huge Zelda fan but I agree that PH and ST aren't as bad as people made them out to be (especially ST) but ehhhhh I think MC is a much better game. But to each their own! (What did you think of MC overall though? Personally I love it)

And yeah I don't think I enjoyed the original LOZ much either. But for different reasons. You never start with FULL health after dying. Seriously, hate restarting with 3 hearts when I have 6 at maximum. Bad enough recovery hearts are kind of hard to get. I'd also like to mention the game is feels kind of too cryptic sometimes.

I shudder every time people want Zelda to go back to be like the original game.

Gonna take a wild guess and say you didn't grow up playing that game. Was OOT your first Zelda?

prwxv3

The majority of gamers are willfully ignorant of the actual realities of game development.

Never underestimate gamers unconscious desire to be pandered to.

This.

Skyward Sword is only a good game not a amazing or great one. And the sad thing is if they just fixed some of the easily fixed problems (the slow ass text speed, reseting item descriptions, difficulty levels, Fi handholding, skippable tutoria, ect.) it would have been a great game. And if they took out the filler to instead add more enemy types it would have been a amazing game.

spekkeh

Banned
The Mass Effect series has the best story in all of gaming.

(with story I actually mean multiple storylines and themes as well as how you can interact with these)

chiablo

Vita is so good it makes 3DS irrelevant till the next Mario comes out

The 3DS has been out for a year now. The only games I know of are Mario Land 3D, Zelda OOT, and Starfox. The Vita has 3 games at launch that I want more than these.

If the Wii U falls on its face (which it probably will), I fear for Nintendo's future.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Not to pile on the 'lolol Vita am doomed' train, but.. I honestly think the Vita is a complete waste of everyone's time. The market has changed, Nintendo secured their grip on the dedicated handheld market with the DS and 3DS, the more casual audience has iOS and Android devices, and consumer response to the Vita has been lukewarm at best so far (not that the half-hearted marketing push has helped much). The PSP was a nice try, ending up selling about 70 million units even though software sold slightly worse than liquid dogshit in the West. I don't think PS fans are gonna be quite as enthusiastic second time around, and Nintendo, Apple and Google have the rest covered, so even though the Vita is a great piece of hardware, I can't really see where Sony are supposed to go with it.

qq more

Gonna take a wild guess and say you didn't grow up playing that game. Was OOT your first Zelda?

Actually, Link's Awakening was my first. Although I've never own the game til the 3DS VC. Loved that game.

Honestly though? I would accept the crypticness of Zelda 1 if it weren't for the annoying hearts issue I mentioned. I'm still willing to try and beat the game eventually. I cleared 3 or 4 dungeons so far, but I'm putting that on hold for now for some other Zelda games I'm trying to clear. (Minish Cap and need to start Skywards Sword!)

I love MC but it's a "good" Zelda, to me. It's shortish, very easy and coming from the Oracle games I was expecting a bit more in terms of lenght and dungeons. I just dont understand the huge hype surrounding the title, is all

people are just annoyed by the fact ST and PH have vehicles and touch controls. Personally I loved them

I actually like the touch controls in the DS Zeldas. The only big issue I had with the two games were that the dungeons weren't exactly memorable and the damn dungeon I have to revisit constantly in PH. :(

StuBurns

Banned
If the Vita turns a profit, and people enjoy the project, isn't that enough? You could put that argument to 95% of video games too, but I presume you'd rather they exist.

Combichristoffersen

If the Vita turns a profit, and people enjoy the project, isn't that enough? You could put that argument to 95% of video games too, but I presume you'd rather they exist.

Sure, but if the thing ends up bombing in the West, who's gonna bother making games for it besides Sony's B-grade studios? Santa Monica, Guerilla and ND aren't likely to touch the thing considering they shunned the PSP.

The 3DS has been out for a year now. The only games I know of are Mario Land 3D, Zelda OOT, and Starfox. The Vita has 3 games at launch that I want more than these.

If the Wii U falls on its face (which it probably will), I fear for Nintendo's future.

not sure how one's personal opinion about certain games is going to be half the cause Nintendo could fail in the future

Combichristoffersen

I bought the Vita for Japanese games.

Yeah, there'll be those, but if a) the thing bombs in the West, causing b) no Western developers to bother with it, what incentive would there be for people who don't care for Japanese handheld game to buy it?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
The Mass Effect series has the best story in all of gaming.

(with story I actually mean multiple storylines and themes as well as how you can interact with these)

That would be Alpha Protocol. In termes of pure story and a little bit of variety that would be Planescape Torment.

Tain

Yeah, there'll be those, but if a) the thing bombs in the West, causing b) no Western developers to bother with it, what incentive would there be for people who don't care for Japanese handheld game to buy it?

There is none, but you opened by saying that the Vita was a "complete waste of everyone's time".

StuBurns

Banned
Sure, but if the thing ends up bombing in the West, who's gonna bother making games for it besides Sony's B-grade studios? Santa Monica, Guerilla and ND aren't likely to touch the thing considering they shunned the PSP.
Same as with PSP I guess, Japan. Sure if you don't value those games that's not going to appease you, and that's fine, but the PSPs late game support from Japan was pretty strong. Even fairly major releases from publishers like KH:BbS, MGS:pW, The 3rd Birthday, FF Type-0 (although we haven't got that one yet).

I'm not a big fan of the PSP, I think it did a lot of things really horribly, and despite thinking the DS was terrible as a device, the software was massively better, but that to me doesn't automatically negate the existence of the PSP. Success aside, I feel similar about the Wii, every decision made towards that platform is completely opposed to what I wanted, but that doesn't stop the occasional game I really want on it, just this week The Last Story hit for example, probably the most excited I've ever been for a Wii game.

PSV isn't going to be huge, it's not going to get a lot of original exclusive content, but if it gets PS360 and 3DS ports for a few years, dotted with some meaningful exclusives, I think that'll justify the purchase for a lot of people. You could argue those few games would be elsewhere if the platform didn't exist, and that's partially true, but it's also true of every other platform.

I already think the upcoming Vita line up is much more appealing than 3DS' is, or the PSP's ever was.
Eidos is keeping SE afloat.

What is that based on exactly?

Last year Eidos shipped one game, Deus Ex, it sold 2.2M. That's nothing.

Eidos is keeping SE afloat.

teh-ironing-is-delicious.jpg

Lancehead

I didn't find Gann (Mask of the Betrayer) very interesring at all. Maybe I didn't get it or maybe I didn't pay much attention. Safiya, Okku and Kaelyn were far more interesting.

bigace33

Resident Evil 4 may be the most overrated game in the history of consoles. I just can't get into it. I try to play it every now and then and I always come away feeling like it's just a mediocre 3rd person shooter with ham fisted controls. I really want to love it like 90% of other gamers.

Resident Evil 4 may be the most overrated game in the history of consoles. I just can't get into it. I try to play it every now and then and I always come away feeling like it's just a mediocre 3rd person shooter with ham fisted controls. I really want to love it like 90% of other gamers.

This is how I feel about Skyrim

Odrion

Banned
Well, here's my opinion on what the next Microsoft console will be.

It'll be called Xbox 8. And it's going to be the living room parallel to Windows 8. Games will be tied to a single (transferable) account. And one of the features is going to be cross-compatibility between playing games on the PC and games on the new console. Get a game on XBLA Marketplace, play it on the computer. Hell, maybe even the same for retail products (with some fees forced in.) Same goes with other media.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Multiplayer is the cheapest way of not programming good AI algorithms.

I always felt it was a terrible waste that Halo has never had bot support. It's so much of a sandbox, it's ridiculous that you can't set up bot games for fun - and fill out local / LAN multiplayer games with tons of bots so a small group of human players can have fun in a crazy chaotic game.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
socom 2 is by far better than 90 percent of this GENS multiplayer offering. would love a HD remake of socom 2.

And yeah I don't think I enjoyed the original LOZ much either. But for different reasons. You never start with FULL health after dying. Seriously, hate restarting with 3 hearts when I have 6 at maximum. Bad enough recovery hearts are kind of hard to get.

It sucks in dungeons, but there is a fairy fountain right near the start of the game, so you can always get a quick and full refill if you die on the overworld or start up the game.

I don't get racing games. You are just going around in a circle. Its the worst genre ever made.

I can't stomach Japanese rpgs anymore. The way they design the characters just for pedofiles and the dialog are just so horrible. FF13 for example, ugh!

Ænima

Agreed 100%. I have tried many times to get into the game, even getting as far as halfway through it once, but I was just never really enjoying it.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't get racing games. You are just going around in a circle. Its the worst genre ever made.
My brother in law has two racing seets and wheels/pedals hooked up to a beamer on his attic. That's pretty cool. But aside from that, I can't picture myself playing it for longer than an hour (after trying out every course) either.
I can't stomach Japanese rpgs anymore. The way they design the characters just for pedofiles and the dialog are just so horrible. FF13 for example, ugh!
Erm, Hope was the youngest character and already at the end of his puberty.

Munin

The term "gamer" and more specifically how people use it as a means of self-identification. Fucking embarrassing. "I'm a gamer girl"

Fuck off.

Here's mine:

+ Just bury Mario already. I fail to see what's so special about his games nowadays. Put any other character in there, and the scores would be 25% less, but since it's "Mario" and "Nintendo", it automatically gets a free 100/100 pass

+ Same with Zelda. Insanely overrated nowadays. Darksiders out-Zeldas current Zelda games.

+ Ratchet & Clank games are much better than Mario.

+ Lost Odyssey is the best Jrpg of the generation. Much better than FF.

+ Metal Gear should die already as well. Makes zero sense, it's just too convoluted, suffering from "cultural divide syndrome" just like Jrpgs (see below), and I hate the AI.

+ Western RPGs are vastly superior to japanese RPGs nowadays. Jrpgs seem written and acted for 10 year olds / weaboos / child molesters, with dialogs and character interaction that bears absolutely no believability.

+ Still don't see how HL2 was that great, aside from physics use.

+ Blazblue is superior to SF4 in every way.

+ SF3 3rd Strike is much better than SF4 ever will be, and the pinnacle of the series

+ Look past the hate, and Too Human is a vastly underrated gem of a game. It just suffered from having negative press, including a hostile reviewing community dead-set against it. Half the reviews on metacritic don't know what they are talking about as they are full of inaccuracies or plain ignorance of the game, it's like reviewers played it 10 mins and decided to hate it.

+ Sega has already gotten Sonic good again. There will never be an earth-shattering Sonic game again because times have changed, he's already as good as he used to be. It's rose-tinted glasses about those old games.

+ Gamers are to blame for the state of the industry. If you didn't buy Day-1 DLC #537, pre-order incentive #335, or expensive CoD map pack #595, they wouldn't make them. But people buy them, so they keep milking it. Supply and Demand 101.

+ "Interactive movies" are crap. Heavy Rain isn't a game. MGS4 is 50% cutscenes and one of the most overrated games in history.

+ Deus Ex 1 is the best game of all time, and still hasn't been beat.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
COD has only gotten worse and worse. There will never be one as good as COD4 and COD4 still was not perfect.

The game is not a"fast paced" FPS. It is only "fast paced" because people are only comparing to halo, gears, or battlefield. It is a positional shooter which seems to rely less on skill every reiteration. When the developers speak of "balance" they do not mean an equal playing field, they mean less of a learning curve.

The game will not be fixed by balanced perks, better connections, or better killstreak options.

The reason people get away with camping is because it works especially if you are not skilled. The two main reasons camping works are low health and lack of player agility. Low health (only 2-3 shots to kill) makes the game a positional shooter. I dont see you in the corner, you start shooting me, I really have no chance of living. Thats not skill, thats position. In quake, unreal, TF2, Gotham City that is not always the case due to higher health and my ability to use the high mobility to get away from the situation, then use my skill to hopefully win the fight in the end.

Also, of course you can continue to sit in one spot or general area due to regenerative health.

They will never change the health system or improve agility so the same problems will still exist.

Top Bottom