• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford only has time for Colonial Marines praise, [losing money on Aliens]

Randy...

Randy Pitchford said:
Also, as a face of a company you are personally responsible for any perceived failure on that company's part. Fame's a bitch.
Yes - I am most accountable for everything we do. Also, Twitter gives me tools to limit my exposure to littleness.

You're going way too far here...

Randy Pitchford said:
Only taking positive feedback is fine. But using fake accounts to tweet it is worse than ignoring the people who feel lied to
There is genuine love for the game - it turns out opinions vary...The insinuation is false and insulting. Blocked.

You really have to stop this...

Randy Pitchford said:
I think while vulgar criticism is unfair to you most people just want an explanation to why the game is so different to the demo
That is understood and fair and we are looking at that. Lots of info to parse, lots of stake holders to respect.

Every word you say...it's just not helping, man.

Adam Blue

Wait, I don't understand this.

He is looking in to why the game is different from the demo?

Wouldn't, like, the publisher be looking in to that? Or is he saying he has no idea what goes on beneath him and will only look in to it after the game had already shipped?

Most likely looking into how to address it. As pissed as we are, there's a lot he can't say. This was good to see though...but a little late.

Salsa

Even if you like Aliens: Colonial Marines, it's undeniable something went wrong with its development, and Gearbox needs to tell people why they allowed customers to keep believing the game looked much better than it actually did. For Pitchford to refuse to talk for a week, then do nothing but publicly lap up praise for his gigantic, Facehugger-shaped shit, is absolutely astounding.

to be fair, who comes out after a week and says "yeah sorry guys this game is shit"

?

Droog

Randy Pitchford just blocked me. Apparently it's not just threats and insults he'll block, but simply people writing about things he said publicly.

That's... really sad and pathetic. Quite disappointing really. On another note, how easy is it to check if you've been blocked? I retweeted a few of the "angry" reviews and links.

Munin

There's been countless posts e.g. on Reddit by ex-Gearbox employees on how Pitchford is a monumental douchebag. So can't say I'm surprised at all.

Burger

Wait, I don't understand this.

He is looking in to why the game is different from the demo?

Wouldn't, like, the publisher be looking in to that? Or is he saying he has no idea what goes on beneath him and will only look in to it after the game had already shipped?

Allow me to translate:

07-minister.jpg

Let's say SEGA sues. What would happen in the end?
Depends. They can get some money back from Gearbox I guess. For example, if it is proven Gearbox used resources intended to fund Aliens for their own Borderlands 2, they have to pay that back. But we don't know what happened and it is impossible to say were the fault for this whole mess really lies.

Interfectum

It's funny in an age where social media exists and the community is so plugged in to every facet of game development/media/sales/reception that people like Pitchford think they can get away with this shit. Hilarious.

ultron87

I kind of doubt that he'd even be aware that the Twitter accounts are faked. That'd be something marketing would do, if anyone.

jaxpunk

Electronic Arts Chief Operating Officer Peter Moore said the publisher is "taking Medal of Honor out of rotation," but not before claiming that "the game was solid, but the focus on combat authenticity did not resonate with gamers."

Don't see that it's "shit", try again. That is PR speak galore.. aka we are going to look into the differences of the demo and the final game.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, he is also a stage magician, so maybe he thinks he can make the criticism disappear. Seriously, just a little humility and honesty can go a long way. You are not fooling anyone, Randy. Zero respect for this guy.

antitrop

Electronic Arts Chief Operating Officer Peter Moore said the publisher is "taking Medal of Honor out of rotation," but not before claiming that "the game was solid, but the focus on combat authenticity did not resonate with gamers."

Don't see that it's "shit", try again. That is PR speak galore.. aka we are going to look into the differences of the demo and the final game.
It's all up to interpretation, but I'm not going to derail the thread looking for inane examples of content creators admitting their final product is not up to standards.

Randy Pitchford just blocked me. Apparently it's not just threats and insults he'll block, but simply people writing about things he said publicly.

Get an article up on Destructoid shaming him, Jim. It's in the public interest to know when developers don't want to take responsibility for their own bullshit.

Burger

Randy said:
@JordanDC87 I love the setting, story and pacing of campaign. I love versus. I always see the flaws in all of our work. An Artist's Dilemma.

Hahahaha oh man. It's all just a matter of opinion everyone.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nemesis_ said:
Let's say SEGA sues. What would happen in the end?

LOL nobody is getting sued.

If SEGA were that unhappy about the quality of the work they wouldn't have published it.

Its really that simple. Developers don't QA their own work, the publisher does it for them, and decides what gets fixed and what gets KS'd (Known Shipped).

They only sign-off on milestone payments when THEY are happy, the buck stops with them.

This is why Pitchford is right to block Sterling; he's just stirring up controversy with an eye to increasing HIS profile. If he was legitimately looking for "answers" he'd be talking to SEGA, not their contractors (Gearbox) for obvious reasons.

ChristianSpicer

Neo Member
Step 1: get gaf account approved
Step 2: plug my youtube feed
Step 3: ??????
Step 4; profit?

Ha. Nope. Been doing those vids every week for months now. Been on GAF for longer. First time I posted one & it's totally related to this thread. And i expressly statesd what i was posting/linking to. Soory to disappoint you.

Most likely looking into how to address it. As pissed as we are, there's a lot he can't say. This was good to see though...but a little late.

Two cups basically. One full of rich, creamy bullshit, and the other filled with salty, liquid truth. The third cup will be presented to the public, and Randy is currently trying to get the mixture just right. Too much creamy bullshit and no-one will believe him, too much truth and Gearbox's reputation is in tatters. The trick is getting the mixture just right. However in the meantime he's "parsing" information as if he's riding in the back of the fucking Scooby-Doo Mystery Van, and that the disparity between the demo and the game is a puzzle to everybody at Gearbox. And to think he would have got away with it, if it wasn't for you damn pesky reviewers.

eot

Banned
5ld2iNR.jpg

he is saying something though.

That isn't much better than saying you fabricated the demos. I mean, if you have to launch an investigation about what happened to the game you were contracted to make that doesn't exactly help your case.

jaxpunk

It's all up to interpretation, but I'm not going to derail the thread looking for inane examples of content creators admitting their final product is not up to standards.

Ya because the whole thread wasn't about people owning up to their products. Good call.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
twitter is such an onerous curse on modern discourse. horribly fragmented debates broadcasted from behind a 190 character firewall which basically gives you a license to put out the most abbreviated, vapid statement possible and call it a day; all the while selectively recirculating only the most reassuring of commentary from your pre-verified clique of supporters.

it's a pedestal for cowards.

It's twitter, as far as I'm concerned he can do whatever the fuck he wants, however immature he may come across with all this business, I don't really care.

Shots fired between Randy and Mr. Sterling:

Randy Pitchford said:
Jim Sterling said:
And that's @DuvalMagic blocking me. I thought he wasn't gonna block the criticism. So much for "profiting" off it.

You entire purpose seems angled towards vilification and injury. I am flattered, but ain't nobody got time for dat.

Also - you know how to reach me if you want to ask questions. It appears you would rather show boat publicly for attention.

Sega, it's time to sue someone, and I think you know which company it should be.

This.

So much. I'd be pretty content with SEGA suing Gearbox over how they handled this game with false promises and advertising.

On the bright side, this game has also made me interested in replaying AvP 2010, is any version still alive? The multiplayer was fun as hell on PS3 but died really early on, it used to take 10-20 minutes to find a match shortly after launch.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Meh, you're fighting the good fight Sterling. We can't just let owners of companies cover their ears and stomp their feet like children to try and divert from the very obvious problem of trying to pass on the responsibility of a deliberately shit product. By him blocking you for voicing criticism over his bratty actions and bad game, this gives us more fuel to display how inappropriate he's acting towards people and puts an ever more disturbing light on his decision to reply to mostly fake twitter accounts. This is, imo, worse than any company trying to write user reviews on metacritic.

What I am saying is: Fuck Randy Bitchford.

Top Bottom