• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank the best PSVR Games

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Didn't know about Bound, definitely interested in that, Rez, Thumper, and Batman.

Can all these recommended games be played well with dual shock 4? I don't have much interest in subpar 6 year old motion controllers, i.e., Move versus something developed for VR like the Occulus Touch or Vive controllers.

Rez can be played with DS4, but as laggy as Move is it still beats DS4.

Batman and London Heist are honestly both more enjoyable with Move (two though). Significantly. The difference of playing a game or being the person in the game. After "being the person", "playing the game" is such a subpar experience IMHO.

Tiktaalik

Has anyone played SuperHyperCube? How is that? It seemed like one of the more interesting games to me, and I'm surprised I've seen little chatter about it.

jrcbandit

Rez can be played with DS4, but as laggy as Move is it still beats DS4.

Batman and London Heist are honestly both more enjoyable with Move (two though). Significantly. The difference of playing a game or being the person in the game. After "being the person", "playing the game" is such a subpar experience IMHO.
Ok thanks. I'm tempted into getting headset and games. Might need to order the $26 controllers from Amazon then if still available.

Ban Puncher

1. The Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls Viewing Revolution

OpDla7d.jpg

This thread is getting me kind of down on VR. The only gaming experiences I'm interested in are immersive, spend-hours-at-a-time games, not these tech demos and brief experiences. I was hyped when I saw the PSVR game list thread because I thought a few of those have to be fleshed out full games but seeing this thread it seems like that hasn't really happened to these simple concepts are all that's out there.

Josh378

I have a feeling that if Riggs is supported properly it could be the next Call of Duty for VR. I bought a copy on the same day I got my VR headset but I don't know if I want to open it. I did love the demo.

Curious what everyone's opinion as the best first time experience for a casual or non gamer who doesn't get what all the hype is about VR but thinks game visuals are probably at a higher level than they really are. I'm trying to figure out what that go to demo is to show to other people who don't really play games.

Tumble, with a Move. It has depth (crazy when you drop a piece!) It's incredibly tactile when placing blocks, and there's no forward movement - apart from leaning - so no sickness. Perfect game to show off VR to a beginner.

It's ace, I feel like people are sleeping on it and it's a gem.

Sanke__

Purely based on the demo disc:

Rez
Until Dawn (move is essential)
Battlezone
Job simulator (move is essential)
Eve
Diving thing
Thumper
Driveclub
Soccer ball heading game
Rigs
That horror game in the sewer

(Also this doesn't take price into account, having a real hard time justifying 60 for eve and battlezone, nothing I've tried seems worth more than 30)

Sanke__

Hi,

Did you know that Bound have a free PSVR update? If you had the game, you can check it as well.

We put a lot of work into making it silky smooth and pixel perfect on PSVR :). We have a serious problem in informing people that Bound is also a PSVR game ...

I'll be sure to buy bound when I get home
Thought about trying it before vr
I'll definitely try it now

Norse

Are most vr games aimed at 30 min at a time play sessions or are there games you can play for couple hours without a break? And will we see games like skyrim on psvr or is it unlikely? Thx

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This thread is getting me kind of down on VR. The only gaming experiences I'm interested in are immersive, spend-hours-at-a-time games, not these tech demos and brief experiences. I was hyped when I saw the PSVR game list thread because I thought a few of those have to be fleshed out full games but seeing this thread it seems like that hasn't really happened to these simple concepts are all that's out there.

plenty of traditional game experiences at launch. I mean if you're expecting a full-on Arkham Asylum in full VR, you'll probably be waiting quite a while.. but there are plenty of traditional games out today:

Battlezone
Driveclub VR
EVE Valkyrie
EVE Gunjack
Loading Human
RIGS
Super Stardust VR
Wayward Sky

Sanke__

Wow has no one played Tomb Raider?
Definitely the best experience so far, felt like I was there

Is the vr portion accessible right from the main menu?

Does it spoil anything from the main game since I haven't played it yet?

The platforming game in Playroom VR is amazing, when the leaves touch your face or when you look up in a cave, incredibly immersive.

Its also the first game where I wished this thing had more resolution, but regardless, what an amazing experience.

Euro GAF did not get demos for Rez and Thumper. Played Rez on DC and PS2 and loved it. Thumper looks amazing too. SuperHyperCube is too expensive for me atm ( already bought PSVR, Rigs, Job Simulator and Until Dawn, two move controllers and a camera).

Help me out Gaf..
Which one should I get. Rez or Thumper?

Oh yeah..my favourite so far is the VR Playroom platformer. Amazing.
Feels like really something new. I'm really IN this game. Most amazing experience since Mario 64

takoyaki

Euro GAF did not get demos for Rez and Thumper. Played Rez on DC and PS2 and loved it. Thumper looks amazing too. SuperHyperCube is too expensive for me atm ( already bought PSVR, Rigs, Job Simulator and Until Dawn, two move controllers and a camera).

Help me out Gaf..
Which one should I get. Rez or Thumper?

You can download the full US demo disc for free from the US store (link, 36GB). Both games are pretty amazing in VR, you can't go wrong with either one of them. I personally prefer Rez because of the music and gameplay, but Thumper is a pretty intense rush in VR.

Just bought bound...

Amazing, on screen I didn't really feel it, but in VR... Wow.

Amazing IQ, you just stop to stare at the environment every five minutes. I get an amazing sense of presence.

Congratulations to the team. This is really a great showpiece for VR.

You can download the full US demo disc for free from the US store (link, 36GB). Both games are pretty amazing in VR, you can't go wrong with either one of them. I personally prefer Rez because of the music and gameplay, but Thumper is a pretty intense rush in VR.

Holy shit! Totally forgot I've got a US account! You made my day! Thanks! 👍

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just bought bound...

Amazing, on screen I didn't really feel it, but in VR... Wow.

Amazing IQ, you just stop to stare at the environment every five minutes. I get an amazing sense of presence.

Congratulations to the team. This is really a great showpiece for VR.

I just bought BOUND last week. Will check it out in VR this weekend. It's okay so far in non-VR.

Oni Jazar

Does the ocean dive come with the demo disc for do you need VR Worlds?

I'm the opposite. I'd rather not have the headset on for hours on end just give me bite size immersive experiences.

Bog

Junior Ace
I loved the Job Sim demo. But $30 for the full game? I thought for sure it'd be $10. Is there enough content to justify it?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Thumper is an incredible game but it's not a great vr showcase, although it shows that vr can be used to add to the overall experience.

The most immersive for me by far are ocean descent, job simulator, and the heist.

Until dawn is in the 2nd tier but really close and it's a blast if you're into light gun shooters

Playroom vr the platformer is incredible as a sort of augmented reality as if you're playing god in their world, unfortunately there is only 1 level but it's a must play.

If I had to pick a combination of immersive/fun factor it'd probably go

1. Worlds (heist and ocean descent are 2 different kinds of amazing unfortunately worlds itself is a ripoff.)

2. Job simulator. I almost dropped my move controller when I went to put it on the non existent Shelf in the game.

3. Until dawn.

JakR

Does the ocean dive come with the demo disc for do you need VR Worlds?

I'm the opposite. I'd rather not have the headset on for hours on end just give me bite size immersive experiences.

I was some how down to the release of PSVR this week, but getting the device setting it up and experience the descent demo and the immersion of the scene and the demos in general generating an amazing feeling.

And I want more "real" games too, but it is a smart move to start with bite size experiences to let the customer adapt to VR. At this moment I am more than okay with experiences.

Batman was incredible, would love something like Batman AA in Cinema Mode and for several sections change to 1st person like Arkham VR. Even if I had to switch from controller to Move, and could be some way to ease or maybe cheat VR into full games.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is the vr portion accessible right from the main menu?

Does it spoil anything from the main game since I haven't played it yet?
It is, and I believe it's set before I'm not sure only the events of TR1 has been mentioned so from what I've played it seems so.
Although I do like it in standard mode to but VR is an immersive experience to see the Mansion

joebruin

Curious what everyone's opinion as the best first time experience for a casual or non gamer who doesn't get what all the hype is about VR but thinks game visuals are probably at a higher level than they really are. I'm trying to figure out what that go to demo is to show to other people who don't really play games.

I'd say descent. That elevator ride to the botttom was so soothing.

Then immediately have them play kitchen while their guard is down and film them. Mwahaha

Codiox

GAF I need your advice.

Played until dawn and it was amazing, will grab this one today at a store. But I need a "main event" game:

Battlezone
Eve valkyre
Rigs

Which one of these 3? What has the most content?

GAF I need your advice.

Played until dawn and it was amazing, will grab this one today at a store. But I need a "main event" game:

Battlezone
Eve valkyre
Rigs

Dunno about the content, but would definitely go for RIGS.

trikster40

I picked up Eve, but now I'm rethinking after reading reviews and impressions. I may take it back for RIGS.

I'm really interested in Here They Lie, The Assembly, and Loading Human but it's hard to find any impressions on these games. The demo for Here They Lie peeked my interest, but it's the only game that made me start feeling a little queasy. Nice jump scares though.

I've got Batman, Until Dawn, VR Worlds, 100 ft robot golf, keep talking, bound, Wayward Sky, Job Simulator, & Tomb Raider. VR is definitely the future. Can't WAIT for the Star Wars battlefront content!

I'll add Rez, Batman and Thumper to my list. TYVM.
GAF I need your advice.

Battlezone
Eve valkyre
Rigs

NOT eve

Because it's shit. It was shit when it launched for Oculus; it's still shit now. There are 6 months worth of VR reviews of that game. Read through any of them (and especially the user comments) on the Valkyrie subreddit. It's thin, shallow, bland and tasteless. All of your other considerations are far better.

For me:

1. Thumper
2. Rez

Those two are pretty far above anything else

3. Job Simulator, the only demo I played that made me buy the game instantly. Just a ton of fun.

4. Batman. I know its really short and there isn't a ton of gameplay. But man, I had so much fun playing through it. There were a few moments in that game that were up there with the coolest things I've experienced in video games, ever.

5. This is a tough spot. For me when I first fired up my PS VR I put on VR worlds. This was the first things Ive ever experienced in VR and the opening to that game alone had my jaw on the floor. Then I fired up Ocean Descent and was completely blown away. Walking around that space, leaning over the edge of the cage etc was such a cool thing to experience. Based off that alone, I want to put it at number five. Then I played the rest of what was on that disc and was pretty disappointed with it. London Heist was cool, but the IQ was so blurry it was really putting me off.

cilonen

My previous list is all turned around now I've had more time.

Rez
Bound
Wayward Sky
Tumble
Thumper
Batman
Headmaster

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Based on the 16 things I tried, Thumper and Rez are easily the best.

Top Bottom