• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare achievements which you obtained without trying/accidentally?

Bulk_Rate

Looking at my PS4 Trophies I see that I have two fairly rare ones which I achieved without trying or even being aware of, but also doubt I could duplicate again.

What's the rarest achievement you stumbled into?

Both of these seem to be sub-5% on PS4 at least.,

UC4 - first (and only) playthrough
Just Floor It! - Drive away in the jeep with Elena without killing any enemies

Overwatch
Minesweeper (Winston) - Destroy 10 turrets or traps using Winston's Tesla Cannon without dying in Quick or Competitive Play.

EBE

Maybe no one is playing Gigantic on xbox but every achievement appears to be rare. Sad. Fun game.

Completing the Halo and Call of Duties on their hardest difficulties is also usually rather rare.

Bulk_Rate

I hear ya, but when you select hard on COD you're self-selecting to do something less common. I am thinking of stuff you just happen to do but probably couldn't easily replicate. I think I have a few weird ones from TEW as well.,

ReBurn

Gold Member
Any trophy or achievement I have unlocked is on accident. I seemed to get a lot in mafia 3.

DonF

Completing the Halo and Call of Duties on their hardest difficulties is also usually rather rare.
which you obtained without trying/accidentally?
thinking-face_1f914.png

Back to Op. Every achievement I have for overwatch was earned without trying. I love achievements you get for doing something stupid or out of the ordinary. You thing you are clever, but the devs are more clever than you. Tons of achievements in portal 2 do this.

Bulk_Rate

Yeah I also got the one in Overwatch where you headshot someone w/ Widowmaker while you are flying through the air. My son drove himself nuts trying to replicate that on his account.

EBE

I hear ya, but when you select hard on COD you're self-selecting to do something less common. I am thinking of stuff you just happen to do but probably couldn't easily replicate. I think I have a few weird ones from TEW as well.,
I was just commenting on their relative rarity more than anything else. I don't think Halo or COD are particularly difficult, outside of the obvious series outliers (Halo 2 and World at War)

I guess another recent example of what you're asking is to kill 100,000 zombies in Dead Rising 4. There's no shortage of zombies and weapons to kill them with so it surprised me that so few people managed this, even on a half complete play through

Sailent

Banned
I have an achievement only 0,63% of the people has in Guns of Icarus, "Sinking Feeling", which consists in fully repairing 60 balloons. I did it without noticing because everybody wanted to be captain or gunner and not the damn engineer.

The other one is 0,80% of players from Project CARS "Community Ambassador", funny that I spent 15 bucks on the beta, and when the full release came they took the game from my library.

Also Cryptozoologist, which only 1% of players in GTA V has, you have to unlock all the animals in story mode (I think by killing them)

Last edited:
All my recent achievements are pretty much accidental, as I dont actively chase them anymore. I got a Gears 4 one that 1.25% of gamers have, called "Big Ol Hero". Its some multiplayer thing.
The achievements that Im proudest of (for lack of a better word) are ones I got years ago, when I really chased them (eg. all character trials in SSF4 completed, 7 Day Survivor from the original Dead Rising, finishing Ninja Gaiden 2 on the hardest difficulty, getting all characters the complete swimsuit collection in DoAX2).

Cp1199

Neo Member
Just recently I got a trophy while play Uncharted: lost legacy and its called 'Lets not get caught' which is a bronze and it is for driving over a certain cliff which I got by accident as i mistaked a river for the way I was meant to go lol

sotojuan

Only one I can think of is Persona 5's trophy for listening to Futaba's lines. I just got it. Now if I could only get the respective P4G one...

PooBone

Soooooooo many. I was in the top 1% of achievement earners in 2017 and only on games I really love will I go achievement farm for. For example, last night I completed episode 6 of 2016's Hitman for the first time and did so with a combination of murders that happened to match a secret achievements requirements. 0.3 percent of Hitman gamers had unlocked it. Pretty neat.

Kadayi

Banned
Recently been playing Baldurs Gate EE and unintentionally unlocked the Best Day Ever (0.8% of players) just prepping before fighting Centeol the Spider Queen. All you need to do is have Bless, Chant, and Luck spells active at the same time. Kind of surprised so few people have it. Still, only 3.5% of players have Back to Basics and all that requires is you speak to each of the tutors in the opening area. Not exactly a tough one.

MetalRain

According to psnprofiles.com, mostly indie games:
- You're Mean One, (Clear out a poor person's house on Christmas Eve), The Swindle 2.60%
- Citizen's Arrest (Trap someone with an Immobilizer), The Tomorrow Children 3.56%
- Metamorphosis (Resque Admiral Akamoto), Galak-Z 3.68%

No idea that I've "accomplished" those. Most of trophies are such a waste, tied to story progression or do N times X.

hiphopcr

Just got a few for playing the Just Cause 3 airship DLC.

Me thinks it's because no one played the Just Cause 3 airship DLC...

-Xenokai-

Neo Member
One I can remember right now is for sure on Titanfall.....

(I Killed Them All)
Killed all pilots during the evacuation single-handedly

1.91% of gamers unlocked this

Last edited:

Rellik

I got the achievement in blood and wine for killing the Cyclops with an arrow straight to the eye purely by chance.

Lol, I did the exact same thing. I eventually went out my way to get all trophies in that game, but the cyclops thing was something I didn't know about (I don't check trophies until I've finished a game) until it popped.

All my rarest trophies seem to be in Mass Effect and platinums, and I tried for those so I don't think I've actually ever really got anything rare without meaning to.

Last edited:

Bulk_Rate

Lol, I did the exact same thing. I eventually went out my way to get all trophies in that game, but the cyclops thing was something I didn't know about (I don't check trophies until I've finished a game) until it popped.

All my rarest trophies seem to be in Mass Effect and platinums, and I tried for those so I don't think I've actually ever really got anything rare without meaning to.

That one sounds dope -- I haven't played B+W yet but now I'll have to try for that - which of course means I'll fail!

DryvBy

I just got one last night in Deus Ex: Mankind doing that stupid Breach mode. Two of them were 0.1%.

Lilseb93

What's strange about my rarest trophies is that they are from sports games and Star Wars Bounty Hunter (a PS2 game on the PS4). They are all pretty basic trophies. It's amazing they are so rare. Nobody wanted to do them I guess. My platinum of Silent Hill 2 (my fifth rarest) stands out next to these lol.

NovumAngel

Banned
Only one I can think of is Persona 5's trophy for listening to Futaba's lines. I just got it. Now if I could only get the respective P4G one...
Considering how hard it's supposed to be to get it in Persona 4, I was really surprised when the notification popped up it when I was playing 5.
I was also only one tool away from getting the trophy for crafting all the infiltration tools.

Top Bottom