• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare and crazy historical photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidguy

Banned
muslim nazis praying in 1943
BN-GM196_bkrvmu_J_20150116112544.jpg

Zebra

Jackie and John Kennedy in Dallas on November 22nd, 1963.
cbtfH7b.jpg

U1W4dWi.jpg

Officer J.D. Tippit
npl98in.jpg

According to the Warren Commission, at approximately 1:11–1:14 p.m.,[13] Tippit was driving slowly eastward on East 10th Street when — about 100 feet (30 m) past the intersection of 10th Street and Patton Avenue — he pulled alongside a man who resembled the police broadcast description of the man seen firing shots at the presidential motorcade.[17][18] The man walked over to Tippit's car and apparently exchanged words with him through an open vent window.[19] Tippit opened his car door and as he walked toward the front of the car, the man drew a handgun and fired three shots in rapid succession, all three bullets hitting Tippit in the chest. The man then walked up to Tippit's fallen body and fired a fourth shot directly into his right temple, fatally wounding him. Tippit was dead before any help could arrive and Oswald was later arrested after "acting suspiciously" by appearing nervous as police sirens neared him and by ducking into the Texas Theatre without buying a ticket.

Li6nuLG.jpg

J.D. Tippit's wife and children
a2pEwJb.jpg

Sj0Nlyx.jpg

Marina and Lee Harvey Oswald with their daughter.

dsBfsEp.jpg

iW6CclI.jpg

Maria Padiska, whose mother was killed by the Nazi in the Distomo Massacre at Greece, 1944.

Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir meet Che Guevara in March 1960.

Beauvoir_Sartre_-_Che_Guevara_-1960_-_Cuba.jpg

Refugees trying to cross the Mediterranean sea, 2014.

Migrants-Mediterranean.jpg

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
The guy on her left is her coach, Arnie. The guy behind her is Jock Semple, race manager of the Boston Marathon, who was losing his mind and trying to strip her of her numbers. The guy on the far right is her boyfriend, and he's about to tackle Jock Semple.

Whoa.

Yup. I've always been interested in WW1,but just recently starting learning about it in depth. I don't mean for this to sound insensitive,but I'll try to say it in the best way that I can. I know all wars are absolutely horrible because of the loss of life and destruction,but something just seems so particularly brutal about the first world war. Maybe it's because that it really was the first war on that scale and nobody could possibly fathom it at the time. Does that make sense? Again,I don't mean any disrespect by this.

It was the first industrialised war and no one was prepared for it. Their tactics didnt match the reality of these new weapons. Thats why so many people died in combat. In Germany there was a condition called "Verdun Bein" (Verdun leg) which means the guy lost a leg in the Verdun battle.

It was the first industrialised war and no one was prepared for it. Their tactics didnt match the reality of these new weapons. Thats why so many people died in combat. In Germany there was a condition called "Verdun Bein" (Verdun leg) which means the guy lost a leg in the Verdun battle.
Yup. Also,the way that shellshock victims were treated was absolutely horrible. The poor people were stretched to their limits and we're executed for cowardice.

Simo Häyhä, the greatest sniper in recorded history. During the Winter War between Finland and The Soviet Union (1939-1940), in less then 100 days - at a time when there were barely any hours of daylight - he achieved 505 confirmed kills. Eventually, a Russian soldier hit him in the jaw with an explosive bullet, but was found by friendly soldiers who reported that "half his face was missing." He survived the injury (which is why his face is disfigured in the photograph) and lived to be 96 before finally passing away.

Grandi

Simo Häyhä, the greatest sniper in recorded history. During the Winter War between Finland and The Soviet Union (1939-1940), in less then 100 days - at a time when there were barely any hours of daylight - he achieved 505 confirmed kills. Eventually, a Russian soldier hit him in the jaw with an explosive bullet, but was found by friendly soldiers who reported that "half his face was missing." He survived the injury (which is why his face is disfigured in the photograph) and lived to be 96 before finally passing away.
The person in your second picture is not Simo Häyhä. The gun isn't a M/28 "Pystykorva" and the mask is wrong. Also, Häyhä wouldn't have kept his bayonet attached to his rifle, since it decreases accuracy. The person in the picture is most likely a Swedish volunteer, from what I recall.
Here's a few pictures of Häyhä during the Winter War:
"When asked in 1998 how he had become such a good shooter, Häyhä answered "Practice." When asked if he regretted killing so many people, he said, "I only did my duty, and what I was told to do, as well as I could." "

Lender

Atrocities committed in Congo under Leopolds II's colonisation. Not our proudest moment in history.

5f2191f66ab8.jpg

MutilatedChildrenFromCongo.jpg

F1 at Spa Francorchamps during the 60's.

tumblr_mckp4daSEU1rpqn0wo1_1280.jpg

The deadliest motorsport crash in history. Le Mans 1955. 84 people died.

pierre%20levegh%20pg%2014.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

Roger Williamson dies after being burned alive as a result of crash at Zandvoort 1973. David Purley, a good friend of his, made desperate attempts to save him, but they were in vain. Marshalls were not helping, and Purley had to hear his friend screaming for help. It was all for nothing. One of the most tragic deaths in F1 of all time.

williamson1xw5.jpg

David-Purley.jpg

David Purley getting sick to the stomach after witnessing the aftermath of the crash

3614%20williamson.jpg

Still moves me to tears seeing Purley desperately wanting to help. His body expression at the end says it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mz3ZzSXyWM

Another tragic death in F1. Kyalami 1977. Tom Pryce died after hitting marshall Frederik Jansen van Vuuren, who ran across the track to help with a dangerous fire situation. Pryce hit him head on. Van Vuuren and Pryce died immediately. Van Vuuren due the impact, Pryce due to the fire extinguisher hitting him in the helmet.

rsz_tom_pryce__south_africa_1977__by_f1_history-d5gs286.jpg

Be advised, following footage is graphic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdUhVP3tnAo

Closest F1 finish of all time, Monza 1971

Peter-Gethin-007.jpg

The person in your second picture is not Simo Häyhä. The gun isn't a M/28 "Pystykorva" and the mask is wrong. Also, Häyhä wouldn't have kept his bayonet attached to his rifle, since it decreases accuracy. The person in the picture is most likely a Swedish volunteer, from what I recall.

"When asked in 1998 how he had become such a good shooter, Häyhä answered "Practice." When asked if he regretted killing so many people, he said, "I only did my duty, and what I was told to do, as well as I could." "

Wow was about to come in and post about him. Incredible story.

He was very likely one of the strongest reasons Russia never conquered finland during the war

Found some that look interesting, but mostly are related to Brazilian history so figured I´d put in a bit of explanation underneath it

Maria Ester Bueno, three-time winner of Wimbledon´s championships

Vladimir Herzog, journalist that was arrested and tortured during the military takeover. In this period that ranged from 1964 to 1985, media was heavily censured and many journalists took a great risk publishing any sort of article. This photo was taken when Herzog was finally found, his tie was used to hang him.

Pelé, soccer player, doing his traditional "punch in the air" commemoration after scoring a goal

Serra Pelada, a region where gold mining became famous for in the 80´s

American president Roosevelt visiting Brazil

Cangaçeiro Lampião, one of Brazilian most famous bandit leaders (his gang is in the second picture) during the early 1900´s, known for his savage ways but undoubted courage and occasional acts of mercy and charity. Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lampião

Santos Dumont and his world famous 14-bis

I´ll try and find some more later

The history and diversity of the human race overwhelms me sometimes. So, so many different lives lived throughout time. Great thread. <3

Endo Punk

Beautiful thread. Very fascinating. Sometimes its just hard to imagine periods in the past even existed for some reason and these pictures almost come off unreal. History is amazing.

Not 'rare' or 'crazy', but I imagine some in this thread may not have seen this before:

omOJ7vU.jpg

The 35th President of the United States of America (John F. Kennedy) meets the future 42nd President (Bill Clinton) of the United States of America.
Clinton was in high school in this picture.

christmas_truce_1914qlu42.png

Christmas truce 1914

The Christmas truce (German: Weihnachtsfrieden; French: Trêve de Noël) was a series of widespread but unofficial ceasefires along the Western Front around Christmas 1914. In the week leading up to the holiday, German and British soldiers crossed trenches to exchange seasonal greetings and talk. In areas, men from both sides ventured into no man's land on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to mingle and exchange food and souvenirs. There were joint burial ceremonies and prisoner swaps, while several meetings ended in carol-singing. Men played games of football with one another, giving one of the most enduring images of the truce. However, the peaceful behaviour was not ubiquitous; fighting continued in some sectors, while in others the sides settled on little more than arrangements to recover bodies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

E92 M3

Not 'rare' or 'crazy', but I imagine some in this thread may not have seen this before:

omOJ7vU.jpg

The 35th President of the United States of America (John F. Kennedy) meets the future 42nd President (Bill Clinton) of the United States of America.

I never knew this happened - mind blowing.

Africanus

gri_93_r_114_2_344583ds_recto.jpg

In Lagos, Nigeria Edouard Foà ( French explorer in Africa between 1886-1897) also photographed a group of local guards wearing uniforms that draw on both European and Middle Eastern traditions. Note on the far left that Foà has included a small white European dog, erectly standing at attention, which may be more than a playful engagement and one, perhaps, shading to mockery.

The history and diversity of the human race overwhelms me sometimes. So, so many different lives lived throughout time. Great thread. <3
And to think that the oldest we'll see if photos are only going to be 140 years old. There are so much more interesting events in time that aren't photographed

omOJ7vU.jpg

lol just saw this on Jeopardy recently.

Dai101

Banned

omOJ7vU.jpg

"Where's marilyn mr. president?"

jelly

Afghan women, casually dressed, use a public library before the Taliban rule (1950s).

desktop-1428724171.jpg

That's nuts. I've seen pictures before showing quite the modern progressive place. Sad that it went bad. I watched a documentary years ago about old civilisations and ones of recent times and the middle east cultures were quite scientific and such before others.

My bad, removed the picture. Damn you, Google images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom