• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare "evaluating what they want to do next" says Phil Spencer

Yeah a new Conker would be great.
Actually got myself a partly working Xbox recently. Fixed it up just for Live and Reloaded.
Great game. An HD-remake would actually be great. Together with a resurrected multiplayer mode.

Does anyone wanna play it over Xlink Kai?

ZenTzen

at this point they are just another studio with the Rare name and none of the talent, so they have a lot to prove first before i even get remotelly excited, even if they announce a conkers or battletoads

Chettlar

Banned
"Chief of ideas" Gregg Mayles - still at Rare
"Other ideas" George Andreas - left for Sony
Lead programmer Chris Sutherland - still at Rare
programmer Morten Brodersen - left Rare long ago
programmer Paul Machacek - still at Rare
programmer Graham Smith - don't know, probably left Rare after Starfox Adventures
programmer Kieran Connell - still at Microsoft, though I think not at Rare
programmer Rhys Lewis - left for Retro Studios (where he is not anymore)
programmer Mark Wilson - don't know, probably left Rare
"Chief scribbler" Steve Mayles - still at Rare
"Catoony bits and more scribbling" Ed Bryan - left Rare for Creative at Nosy Crow
"Scene Crayoner" Steven Hurst - left Rare for Flippin Pixels
"More Sketching" John Nash - credited for Micky Epic 2, so most likely not working at Rare
"Other Doodling" Chris Peil - left Rare
music Grant Kirkhope - freelancer, could probably be hired for new Banjo music

Rest is business and test players. The major losses from the Banjo-team are probably Kirkhope and Hurst (I guess Scene Crayoner means level designer), but considering the small team size of the Banjo team, there still is a lot of potential left for a nice follow-up (especially considering the Mayles brothers are still there), provided they were motivated for it.

Kirkhope isn't necessarily "gone." He's just a freelance dude now. He could work on another Rare project if he and they were both willing to.

They have many good franchises that they don't out to good use. Goddamnit Rare, use your brains!
I can't help but to look at MS. If Phil is your spokesperson for the studio every time someone mentions them, there's some ball squeezing going on. To me, that'd be like if Hirshberg spoke up every time someone mentioned Bungie.

Kirkhope isn't necessarily "gone." He's just a freelance dude now. He could work on another Rare project if he and they were both willing to.
Maybe...
JfDEvua.jpg

Doh! Sorry for the double post.

Everdred

Honestly, a new Perfect Dark might be the only game to sway me over to Xbox One at this point. It used to be Halo but that's not the case any more, although I will pay close attention to the new one. I also loved Perfect Dark Zero and thought it was over looked, probably the art style.

Raitaro

This reads like MS is going to close the studio.

It does a bit, doesn't it?

Truly one of the strangest developer histories, Rare's. Going from an edgy, free-spirited independent developer in the wild west that was the UK game market, to being one of Nintendo's most loved and prized second parties in the N64 days (even playing a crucial role in that console's reception), to eventually becoming an almost invisible studio in the Microsoft fold that only seems to make (kinect) games nobody (here at Gaf) seems to care for. Now that their old IP's like KI are actually dusted off and being worked on again due to some kind of small miracle, it only makes their story, and their lack of involvement in that, weirder I feel.

I for one do hope they find their way again and surprise us with something cool. Why not a new Viva Pinata or Banjo Kazooie? Or something new entirely that has the charm of their old work? (And yes, I do know that Rare is mostly Rare in name only now for the most part - but it is a name that still carries weigth and stands for pedigree for many.)

Karak

It does a bit, doesn't it?

Truly one of the strangest developer histories, Rare's. Going from an edgy, free-spirited independent developer in the wild west that was the UK game market, to being one of Nintendo's most loved and prized second parties in the N64 days (even playing a crucial role in that console's reception), to eventually becoming an almost invisible studio in the Microsoft fold that only seems to make (kinect) games nobody (here at Gaf) seems to care for. Now that their old IP's like KI are actually dusted off and being worked on again due to some kind of small miracle, it only makes their story, and their lack of involvement in that, weirder I feel.

I for one do hope they find their way again and surprise us with something cool. Why not a new Viva Pinata or Banjo Kazooie? Or something new entirely that has the charm of their old work? (And yes, I do know that Rare is mostly Rare in name only now for the most part - but it is a name that still carries weigth and stands for pedigree for many.)

I am surprised MS hasn't done a Viva P game like Skylanders or something. That kind of thing seems to fit.

I hope they're gonna make a Banjo-Kazooie game, if not, then I hope they're gonna sell that IP to Nintendo so they can put Retro to work.

Silky

Banned
I hope they're gonna make a Banjo-Kazooie game, if not, then I hope they're gonna sell that IP to Nintendo so they can put Retro to work.

The year 2014, and there are people still thinking MS is in a position to sell an IP.

It's funny when you really think about it.

The year 2014, and there are people still thinking MS is in a position to sell an IP.

It's funny when you really think about it.

What? They're totally in a position to do it. They obviously won't, because a dead IP one year could become a money fountain the next, and there's no point giving your competition ammunition... but there's nothing besides common sense stopping them.

Silky

Banned
What? They're totally in a position to do it. They obviously won't, because a dead IP one year could become a money fountain the next, and there's no point giving your competition ammunition... but there's nothing besides common sense stopping them.

The bolded is what I was implying.

Empty

i don't really want them to revive old ip, just do more stuff like viva pinata now they are free of kinect. new ideas, well executed and with a cartoony aesthetic.

Battletoads Returns, Conker's Horrific Fur Week, Perfect Dark Zero.Five, and Banjo-Threeie all incoming.

jk. it'll be Kinect Sports 3

SegaShack

Why are so many people of the mindset that Rare has to make the revivals of Rare franchises? Double Helix already proved that other companies can do this and do a great job of it.

SegaShack

Yeah a new Conker would be great.
Actually got myself a partly working Xbox recently. Fixed it up just for Live and Reloaded.
Great game. An HD-remake would actually be great. Together with a resurrected multiplayer mode.

Does anyone wanna play it over Xlink Kai?

I really wish that they would release Live and Reloaded for download on Xbox originals, it goes for quite a bit of money these days.

Does Xlink Kai allow Live and Reloaded online to work? Don't you need XBL servers?

-MD-

Honestly, a new Perfect Dark might be the only game to sway me over to Xbox One at this point. It used to be Halo but that's not the case any more, although I will pay close attention to the new one. I also loved Perfect Dark Zero and thought it was over looked, probably the art style.

Brother!

KINECT SPORTS 2015!!!

WE TOTALLY WANT TO DO IT GUYS. NOBODY'S FORCING US. CERTAINLY NOT MICROSOFT. WE REALLY WANT TO. THE HOUSE OF BANJO CONKER DKC PERFECT DARK JET FORCE GEMINI BATTLETOADS WANTS TO DO NOTHING BUT KINECT SPORTS FOR THE REST OF THE STUDIO'S EXISTENCE

82882-kristen-bell-laugh-cry-gif-big-YpO7.gif

SegaShack

KINECT SPORTS 2015!!!

WE TOTALLY WANT TO DO IT GUYS. NOBODY'S FORCING US. CERTAINLY NOT MICROSOFT. WE REALLY WANT TO. THE HOUSE OF BANJO CONKER DKC PERFECT DARK JET FORCE GEMINI BATTLETOADS WANTS TO DO NOTHING BUT KINECT SPORTS FOR THE REST OF THE STUDIO'S EXISTENCE

82882-kristen-bell-laugh-cry-gif-big-YpO7.gif

In all honesty the Kinect Sports series is dead. The new one didn't do well at all. The market for that game as well as Wii Sports and PS Motion sports is gone.

Sydle

Are they still as big as before? I think i heard they got smaller but unsure.

About 120 is the rumor. I think that's big enough for at least 2 games in development at a time, or if they go with smaller titles then maybe up to four?

I wouldn't be upset to see them going with smaller games, trying lots of new things often.

Top Bottom