• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Games - The Right Direction?

Xplainin

Banned
Microsoft has called Rare the new IP factory for them. We have seen that with Sea of Thieves and Everwild rather than going back to Banjo etc.
We have also seen some of their older IPs like Perfect Dark and Battletoads getting developed by other studios.

Are you happy to see Rare doing new IPs, or would you rather they smash out games from their existing IPs?

TLZ

Banned
I'd like them to explore new IPs that are on the level of their older gems, and bring back their older gems as remakes and sequels if possible.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Its a good thing, I think. I love Rare's old IP but the people that really made them special back then have moved on since. I wouldn't want a new Conker without Chris Seavor for example. This way, the new blood in the team can do their own thing without being forced to redo what someone did better a few decades ago. That said, I would love for them to give the old IP to other studios who actually want to work on them. I'm still hoping rumours of The Initiative working on Perfect Dark turn out to be true.

Edit: Sea of Thieves is one of the most unique games to come out of this generation, I'm hoping Everwild will do similarly well.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Rare of 2020 is not the same rare that created or made any games in those old IPs, so them working on them is no different to any other dev team working on them.

Sea of thieves is amazing, viva piñata was amazing, and their new game looks promising. Let them keep rare doing what they’re doing, it’s working out well by the looks of it. Battletoads looks fun and it’s not made by Rare.

nush

Most of the people that worked on those old IPs no longer work for Rare, so might as well try new IP.

Hunnybun

I think their old IPs are mostly dated rubbish.

They tended to be good games but rather bland, uninspired worlds, characters etc. Gameplay was their strength, not creating good IP.

Banjo was just a Mario 64 rip off. Perfect Dark was great because it was Goldeneye 2, not because of its generic sci-fi setting. I'm baffled that MS seems to think it's worth bringing back.

Everwild looks far more interesting as an IP than anything they made in the 90s.

Wimbledon

I think Sea Of thieves was really good for them, and Everwild will also be something special.

But I do think the charm to an extent is there, but maybe not the humor.

Like I was watching a playthrough of paper Mario the new one, and I was thinking to myself how much charm and humor they put into the game. Undertale did the same thing, and Banjo, and conker did that all the time. It made jokes, made outlandish characters, or made you do peculiar or just outright distasteful things to get through an objective. Like i don't think that version of rare is there anymore.

But this rare that we do have I admire how tenacious and talented they are. They could've been shut down along time ago, roped into doing Kinect but they stayed the course. Honestly, they are probably the most creative AAA xbox studio currently and I'm looking forward to seeing what Everwild is going to be like.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Rate chasing down their legacy would be a mistake. It's clear they haven't been that studio in many years.

That said, I really think they're a B-tier studio. They were overrated even in their heyday, helped along by their second party status and a platform hungry for big titles, but they never really managed to maintain it for more than that moment. The fact that anyone still treats them like this major player in the console wars boggles my mind. Other than a couple remakes they haven't had an honest to god hit in 20 years.

Hunnybun

Rate chasing down their legacy would be a mistake. It's clear they haven't been that studio in many years.

That said, I really think they're a B-tier studio. They were overrated even in their heyday, helped along by their second party status and a platform hungry for big titles, but they never really managed to maintain it for more than that moment. The fact that anyone still treats them like this major player in the console wars boggles my mind. Other than a couple remakes they haven't had an honest to god hit in 20 years.

Yeah I tend to agree. Before Sea of Thieves they'd basically produced substandard games for at least a decade. And even that was pretty much a disaster at launch, only saved by it being free to play on Game Pass. People rave about it now, though, so presumably it's been improved a lot.

Everwild looks interesting but it's pretty pathetic that the game was revealed over a year ago and they still don't know what the game actually is!!

Very overrated studio.

Redlancet

Banned
Yeah I tend to agree. Before Sea of Thieves they'd basically produced substandard games for at least a decade. And even that was pretty much a disaster at launch, only saved by it being free to play on Game Pass. People rave about it now, though, so presumably it's been improved a lot.

Everwild looks interesting but it's pretty pathetic that the game was revealed over a year ago and they still don't know what the game actually is!!

Very overrated studio.
Sea of thieves in is current state and with a group of friends its pure magic

SaucyJack

Microsoft has called Rare the new IP factory for them. We have seen that with Sea of Thieves and Everwild rather than going back to Banjo etc.
We have also seen some of their older IPs like Perfect Dark and Battletoads getting developed by other studios.

Are you happy to see Rare doing new IPs, or would you rather they smash out games from their existing IPs?

A new ip factory is what they were in 2002 when Microsoft acquired them. A company that produced multiple games every year. They are a shadow of their former selves.

I would love to see a bunch of their older ips revived in addition to the new games but I suspect that they don’t have it in them any more to be that productive.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't liked any Rare game since they got bought by MS since Nuts & Bolts. So I hope they make another one.

Elog

I think Rare is one of MS's most interesting studios. Really looking forward to see their coming games.

Top Bottom