• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay officially announced - $30 and available August 4, 2015

Celine

Also, having a hard time understanding how each DKC sequel dropped 50% in sales?? :/
Despite being released late DKC1 was the third best selling game on SNES.
The sequel could only sell worse.

H125iwJ.jpg

N64 (for other Rare games):
4GuG0EH.jpg

EDIT:
Shipment data by Nintendo.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The problem with Blast Corps and JFG back in the day was the frame-rate.

So long as that's now rock solid, and there's no reason or shouldn't be, the games will be incredible and must for everyone.

There's simply no other game like Blast Corps.

JFG's controls were still weird and I hope they add the option to change them to something sensible or more suited to a modern controller.

daTRUballin

So long as that's now rock solid, and there's no reason or shouldn't be, the games will be incredible and must for everyone.

I was watching my friend play Red Faction: Guerilla a few days ago, and the destructible environments in that game are pretty neat.

Of course, Blast Corps is a completely different game, but I'm sure there's plenty of games out there with as much destruction. :p

sangreal

JFG's controls were still weird and I hope they add the option to change them to something sensible or more suited to a modern controller.

I've never played JFG but comparing the rare replay manual (below) to the n64 controls I found on google, there doesn't seem to be much difference. C-buttons are just remapped to the right stick

Gameplay
There are two main types of control: Movement Mode, which allows you to easily run and jump around the environment, and Targeting Mode, which allows for precision aiming. Movement Mode controls are:

MOVE: Push the left stick to guide your character around the environment.

FIRE: Pull the right trigger to fire the selected weapon. Pull and hold the right trigger to unleash continuous fire from a rapid-fire weapon.

JUMP/STAND/INTERACT: Press the A button to jump and again to hover. If your character is crouching, they’ll return to a standing position. Press the A button while standing next to an important object or character to interact or engage in conversation.

CROUCH: Press the B button while standing to make your character crouch. Crawling around while crouched helps maintain cover but slows movement speed.

WEAPON SELECT: Push up or down on the right stick to cycle through the weapons in your character’s inventory.

SIDESTEP/ROLL: Push left or right on the right stick to make your character dodge in that direction.

TARGET: Pull the left trigger to center the camera behind your character, and hold it down to enter Targeting Mode.

When in Targeting Mode, the right stick will be used to move your character while the left stick controls the crosshairs for precision aim. Release the left trigger to return to normal movement.

(Note: If the Expert control scheme has been selected, jump and crouch functions will be assigned to up and down on the right stick instead, leaving weapon selection assigned to the A and B buttons.)

Menus
HIGHLIGHT/ADJUST: Push the left stick or D-pad to move between menu options, select a particular choice or adjust a slider. Some options may not be available immediately and will need to be unlocked.

SELECT: Press the A button to select a particular choice or move to a sub-menu.

RETURN: Press the B button to return to a previous menu.

SAVE: Pull the left trigger when displaying the Pause Menu to save your game.

QUICK-ASSIGN: Push a direction on the D-pad when displaying the weapons sub-menu to assign a weapon. Push the same D-pad direction during gameplay to immediately switch to that weapon.

Racing
When piloting a vehicle, there are a number of unique controls:

MOVE: Push the left stick in the direction you wish to travel. This applies to racing in top-down and trailing viewpoints alike.

BOOST: Press the A button to trigger a speed boost (if acquired).

USE ITEM: Pull the right trigger to activate a special item (if acquired).

BRAKE: Press and hold the B button to bring your vehicle to a halt.

DMczaf

Felt so good playing it with a high resolution and good framerate.

I was a happy person.

Wait, so JFG won't take full advantage of the right analog stick for aiming like the Perfect Dark remaster did? I know it's not a remake, but I'm really not sure the JFG handled aiming in 1999 will fly today.

sangreal

This was a concern of mine, hopefully they allow for remapping or a modern control scheme. I know the controls will likely put more than a few people off and that'll be a damn shame...

I was watching my friend play Red Faction: Guerilla a few days ago, and the destructible environments in that game are pretty neat.

Of course, Blast Corps is a completely different game, but I'm sure there's plenty of games out there with as much destruction. :p

I don't know. RFG does have some pretty great destructibility, but I feel Blast Corps is still unique in what it offers.

Felt so good playing it with a high resolution and good framerate.

I was a happy person.

I'm so jealous, but not long left until I finally get my hands on it.

Cannot wait to fire up Blast Corps.

KAP151

Really looking forward to this.

Im most likely gonna start from the NES era - where it started for me all those years ago. I looooved Cobra Triangle as a kid, even though it was crazy hard.

Played very little of Kameo so looking forward to that too.

munroe

Damn, that's crazy!!! But it'll be worth it!!!

Actually got that wrong it will be closer to 50Gb. 11 something gb is composed of everything but the 360 games, those then get downloaded extra.

"After purchase, the Xbox 360 titles within Rare Replay will also be added to your download queue. Installation space for all titles will require a further 38Gb" taken from the xbox store page.

Just thought it would be helpful for those on data caps to know the full size as from first glance it looks like the entire installation is only 11Gb

daTRUballin

So does anybody know if Rare will be showing anything at Gamescom? Perhaps more gameplay footage of Sea of Thieves or announcing new projects?

I know they stated that they have more things to show this year, so I'm assuming they were talking about Gamescom? Maybe the rumored Battletoads game? :p

So does anybody know if Rare will be showing anything at Gamescom? Perhaps more gameplay footage of Sea of Thieves or announcing new projects?

I know they stated that they have more things to show this year, so I'm assuming they were talking about Gamescom? Maybe the rumored Battletoads game? :p

I don't think you should expect anymore from Rare. Sea of Thieves is probably their main thing at the studio and gamescom is going to be focused on Quantum Break and Scalebound since they're both 2016 projects that are coming within a reasonable time frame.

And all Battletoads rumors have been speculation. There's been no actual insider rumour, everything been tshirts and speculation based on game cameos.

daTRUballin

I don't think you should expect anymore from Rare. Sea of Thieves is probably their main thing at the studio and gamescom is going to be focused on Quantum Break and Scalebound since they're both 2016 projects that are coming within a reasonable time frame.

And all Battletoads rumors have been speculation. There's been no actual insider rumour, everything been tshirts and speculation based on game cameos.

There have been FAR too many hints for them not to be doing something with Battletoads. The Battletoads trademark renewal last year, Phil Spencer and Rare employees wearing Battletoads shirts, the cameo in Shovel Knight, redesigned character models, etc.

It doesn't necessarily have to be insider rumors. At least I wouldn't think. :/

ss_lemonade

Didn't know that some of the games are just running off the 360 BC code. Does that mean that a lot of games here will not be native 1080p?

There have been FAR too many hints for them not to be doing something with Battletoads. The Battletoads trademark renewal last year, Phil Spencer and Rare employees wearing Battletoads shirts, the cameo in Shovel Knight, redesigned character models, etc.

It doesn't necessarily have to be insider rumors. At least I wouldn't think. :/

It doesn't mean Rare is making the game. And I agree, they've been having Battletoads everywhere, but it's nothing more then just Battletoads everywhere. No one has said anything about an actual game, no one has shared any knowledge of it.

The absolut closets thing we have to any kind of confirmation of a game in development, is from the Kotaku story about the Phantom Dust developers, and their meeting with Microsoft where they were explicitely told that Battletoads was an IP that was off the table to work on.

For all we know, the Battletoads stuff everywhere is pandering to the fans and exploiting nostalgia. It could be a game is in development, but we have nothing to support that other then a t-shirt, a vinyl cover and cameo in Shovel Knight and Kinect Sports.

Plus, plans change all the time. I know other developers who have had their plans for a game be dropped because the owner-company wanted to go in another direction and all internal plans changed within two months. So Rare could have been making a game at some point and plans changed.

daTRUballin

It doesn't mean Rare is making the game. And I agree, they've been having Battletoads everywhere, but it's nothing more then just Battletoads everywhere. No one has said anything about an actual game, no one has shared any knowledge of it.

The absolut closets thing we have to any kind of confirmation of a game in development, is from the Kotaku story about the Phantom Dust developers, and their meeting with Microsoft where they were explicitely told that Battletoads was an IP that was off the table to work on.

For all we know, the Battletoads stuff everywhere is pandering to the fans and exploiting nostalgia. It could be a game is in development, but we have nothing to support that other then a t-shirt, a vinyl cover and cameo in Shovel Knight and Kinect Sports.

Plus, plans change all the time. I know other developers who have had their plans for a game be dropped because the owner-company wanted to go in another direction and all internal plans changed within two months. So Rare could have been making a game at some point and plans changed.

You could be right. I guess it doesn't mean that Rare is making it. But I doubt Battletoads everywhere is just pandering to nostalgia. Just seems like something fishy is going on with the IP.

But you never know. They could just be simply pandering to fans for all we know. :/

Then again, there was the whole Battletoads trademark renewal thing, although that could've just been for Shovel Knight......

I wouldn't expect anything at Gamescom, there have been enough hints that they're doing other things although I don't know if its Battletoads or something else. The trademark stuff is weird but it could have just been for Rare Replay, I think its best not to expect too much, Rare Replay releases the day of their Gamescom show and whilst I do think they have other stuff going on, I don't think we'll see it at Gamescom necessarily.

There is also this... to add some fuel to the fire

screenshot2015-07-19aa2pth.png

BKSmash

My Bear and Bird heart can't take it anymore..

It does make sense that they're working on other stuff too, tbh. Because the entire team of Rare Replay will be free after finishing it.

Also: Phil Spencer said (somewhere) a while ago that Gamescom will focus more on their European studios, so IMO it's pretty obvious that Rare will be there to say at least something.

My Bear and Bird heart can't take it anymore..

It does make sense that they're working on other stuff too, tbh. Because the entire team of Rare Replay will be free after finishing it.

Also: Phil Spencer said (somewhere) a while ago that Gamescom will focus more on their European studios, so IMO it's pretty obvious that Rare will be there to say at least something.

Maybe they will be there to announce that they plan to bring more games to the Rare Replay collection as DLC "packs" like they did with the Game Room concept.

daTRUballin

I wouldn't expect anything at Gamescom, there have been enough hints that they're doing other things although I don't know if its Battletoads or something else. The trademark stuff is weird but it could have just been for Rare Replay, I think its best not to expect too much, Rare Replay releases the day of their Gamescom show and whilst I do think they have other stuff going on, I don't think we'll see it at Gamescom necessarily.

If they won't show anything at Gamescom, it'll be kinda disappointing. I hope they at least show more gameplay footage of Sea of Thieves. I really want to see more of the game. :/

Although, that tease on Twitter sounds interesting. Seems like they're working on other things as well. :p

Richie

I think more info at Gamescom is a given. There's a lot of things we don't yet know about (improved framerates/resolution on 64 titles like Conker), and the game is two weeks away from release, what better opportunity to clear up every detail than this?

Timu

I think more info at Gamescom is a given. There's a lot of things we don't yet know about (improved framerates/resolution on 64 titles like Conker), and the game is two weeks away from release, what better opportunity to clear up every detail than this?
Funny enough the collection comes out on that day so we will know everything by then.

So is there pre order extras attached to this title?

I see when you click on it on the xbl store, it says bundle only which generally means some pre order stuff is attached.

But I'm not sure.

Top Bottom