• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare reportedly working on Wii Fit clone

Dabanton said:
I wouldn't say wrong platform i would say wrong time,if VP came out now it would have done much better seeing as MS is advertising equally to families rather than just lone males.

I actually agree with this. I'd like to believe that the 360 has broadened its demographics past "matoor gamers" (whatever you qualify that as) and can sell family friendly titles a little better.

That said, still doubt VP would have done better than okay though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Willy105 said:
I don't know about you guys, but even if it's an epic adventure, Viva Pinata proved that Rare still has their charm even if there isn't huge worlds to explore.
I think it would have been a lot more charming as an RTS, but maybe that's just the Dungeon Keeper fan in me.

So who's left from the golden days of Rare? The founder left and so did a lot of the Goldeneye/PD team.

Rare used to be the Pixar to Nintendo's Disney. But in this world, Pixar wasn't bought by Walt Disney in the end, it was instead bought by 20th Century Fox.

Yuck, bad match

Shiggy

I would love to see them doing Sabreman Stampede, which had a quite interesting concept (it is the only known Xbox project David Wise worked on).

sabreman.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RbzE51k1I0&feature=player_embedded

Doing projects like Natal Fitness and seeing projects such as Urchin, Kameo 2, PD 2 as well as another game involving animals, would however explain why people like Wise, Edmonds or Malpass left.

Johnny Utah said:
Rare used to be the Pixar to Nintendo's Disney. But in this world, Pixar wasn't bought by Walt Disney in the end, it was instead bought by 20th Century Fox.

Yuck, bad match

Uh... Pixar? Really? :lol

Sriffat

Banned
I think Rare is Rare by name reputation only. I mean how many people from Rare remained by the time MS bought it? It's like taking away all the talent from FFVII Square team and then saying from the developer company that bought you FFVII. It is misleading. What would be interesting is if Microsoft went out there and got some really good talent for this studio

RavenFox

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
With how well WiiFit is selling I don't think it's a far guess to assume that both MS and Sony are working on versions of their own.
Ahh damage control. You do it so well.

komarkaze

The rumor of Rare working on a Wii-Fit clone for Natal may be enough to tell my wife that we shouldn't buy a Wii w/Wii Fit/EA Sports Active. She's definitely been sucked into the marketing and word of mouth for those products. Please Rare, make this a good product.

And with one fell swoop, my last bit of remaining hope for seeing Rare release a sequel to Battletoads, Kameo or Snake Rattle & Roll was promptly crushed under the weight of this topic.

Nicktals

Banned
komarkaze said:
The rumor of Rare working on a Wii-Fit clone for Natal may be enough to tell my wife that we shouldn't buy a Wii w/Wii Fit/EA Sports Active. She's definitely been sucked into the marketing and word of mouth for those products. Please Rare, make this a good product.

Um...All those things you mentioned are good products. Maybe the word of mouth/success is there for a reason?

freddy

Banned
I wonder if the Creepy Bear(Banjo) will be letting loose for the ladies and some of you Microsoft fans on this board to bust a move with or they will just use the Mii Toos. Hmm maybe they will use 720p glory for full motion capture.

Vinci

Danish
Willy105 said:
More than Pixar. They were the developer of the 90's.

I think you are woefully underestimating Pixar's place in the world at the moment and wildly overestimating Rare's at any point ever.

WillyFive

Vinci said:

I think you are woefully underestimating Pixar's place in the world at the moment and wildly overestimating Rare's at any point ever.

Pixar is like that now, not in the 90's. Back then, they were the new hotshot, now they rule the world.

Rare however, did the opposite.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
DidntKnowJack said:
So much for seeing a followup to Blast Corps anytime soon.

i have a feeling this isn't a developer you'd want making that game at this point in their history. i'd love for someone else to make a sequel or even spiritual successor, though.

Vinci

Danish
Willy105 said:
Pixar is like that now, not in the 90's. Back then, they were the new hotshot, now they rule the world.

Rare however, did the opposite.

I still think we are intrinsically failing to communicate with one another. You're telling me that you think Rare in the 90s was in a similar position to where Pixar currently is... Am I understanding you correctly?

Nicktals

Banned
Vinci said:
I still think we are intrinsically failing to communicate with one another. You're telling me that you think Rare in the 90s was in a similar position to where Pixar currently is... Am I understanding you correctly?

I think he's comparing Pixar in the 90's to Rare in the 90's. Big up-and-comers perfectly positioned to have a huge impact.

Where they went from there, though....well, you know the stories.

Vinci

Danish
Nicktals said:
I think he's comparing Pixar in the 90's to Rare in the 90's. Big up-and-comers perfectly positioned to have a huge impact.

Where they went from there, though....well, you know the stories.

It's an exaggeration, but yeah, I get it.

legend166

Viva Pinata was a poorly designed game from start to finish. Not because the game itself was bad, but because the way it was conceptualised and positioned from the very beginning screamed "We don't want to do this."

I mean, this is how Viva Pinata went down:

MS execs: "So Rare, we're trying to grow the family/children audience of the 360. We know you're good at making games with bright and colourful graphics, please make us a game."

Rare exec: "Ok. So here's our idea. We're going to make a game with funny characters and really beautiful, bright, vivid graphics. It'll look great."

MS execs: "Ok, so what type of game is it?"

Rare execs: "Oh, it's a really deep gardening simulator."

MS execs: "Sounds great! Because if there's one thing kids love, it's gardening simulators!"

So, not only was the whole thing wrong from the beginning, the actual design of the interface was woeful. I mean, for its intended audience. I struggled to come to grips with that game after 5 hours and all the options. And I'm 21. 6-10 would have no damn clue. That game, funnily enough, was in desperate need of Nintendo to come in, create a better interface and simplify it a bit.

I also contend that Rare was never really a good choice to develop 'expanded audience' games. Their highest selling game was Goldeneye.

timetokill said:
Uh... Pixar? Really? :lol

Well it's supposed to be a comparison on their respective markets. Obviously Nintendo isn't as good as Disney, and Rare isn't as good as Pixar.

I think the comparison works pretty well, don't see the lol behind it.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere Viva Pinata was conceptualized based on an off hand remark about Miyamoto having an idea of creating a "living garden" that would grow unattended while your console was off.

Johnny Utah said:
Well it's supposed to be a comparison on their respective markets. Obviously Nintendo isn't as good as Disney, and Rare isn't as good as Pixar.

I think the comparison works pretty well, don't see the lol behind it.

If they're not, then who is?

Peff

Dra-Q said:
So, Perfect Dark 2 was canceled for Natal Fitness?

According to rumours, Nuts & Bolts 2 was. PD2 was cancelled earlier, and probably part of the team went on to work on the Avatars and NXE.

bridegur

Shiggy said:
I would love to see them doing Sabreman Stampede, which had a quite interesting concept (it is the only known Xbox project David Wise worked on).

sabreman.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RbzE51k1I0&feature=player_embedded

Doing projects like Natal Fitness and seeing projects such as Urchin, Kameo 2, PD 2 as well as another game involving animals, would however explain why people like Wise, Edmonds or Malpass left.

I've never heard of this. Shame it got canceled, it looks like it could have been a great game along the lines of the N64 Rare games.

GaryD said:
Hopefully it will be a killer instinct training for martial arts. With online tournaments.

If a Killer Instinct game happens at all (Natal or not), it will have a heavy online focus and won't be a typical fighting game for sure. It would be something completely new (some kind of "multiplayer deathmatch" game, with KI's ip injected into it.

Beyond maybe a couple thousand people scattered across message boards, there is no real market for a new Killer Instinct game as we knew it in the 90s..(same with the Banjo series, though you wouldn't know due to an equal or more amount of haters pretending to want 90's era experiences).

ReyBrujo

Never played an online fighting game (not good connections down here), but would it work? KI was about chaining huge combos and breaking them with the right pad+button combination at the right time. Either zero lag or long automatic moves to allow people break combos even with some lag.

Top Bottom