• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Reveals why Cheese was hidden in Perfect Dark (+ 5 Other Things too)

Rare recently released a video titled Five Things You Didn't Know About Perfect Dark--and while the 5 things are interesting, it's the bonus one at the end that solves a mystery that's lingered since the original game, about why there's a piece of cheese hidden in every level.

latest

...and the reason is remarkable...if only because of how mundane it is.

Apparently B Jones, one of the game's artists, noticed that a part of the President's plane in the game resembled a slice of cheese. She then told this to the level's creator, Ross Bury, who in response, decided to add it to every level in the game.

Mystery solved!

You should still watch the video for other facts on Elvis's love for America, more on famous voices being in the game, and even details on a once-planned spin-off for the underutilized Velvet Dark, that would have been a 3rd person, stealthy action game.

Blues1990

From the YouTube mini documentaries to the announcement of Sea of Thieves, none of us would've have expected Rare to make such a turnaround within such a short span of time.

daTRUballin

From the YouTube mini documentaries to the announcement of Sea of Thieves, none of us would've have expected Rare to make such a turnaround within such a short span of time.

Well, I wouldn't say Rare has had a full turnaround yet exactly. First, we need to see how Sea of Thieves will be like, and they also need to actually release the games that people have been asking from them for years. One new IP, a collection of old games, and mini documentaries on YouTube aren't really enough. But yeah, they're definitely a lot better than what they were in 2009-2014.

No console FPS stole more hours from me than PD. I never owned an Xbox (so no Halo), but still. What an amazing game that was so much ahead of its time that so much shot that N64 game pulled off in 2000 modern console FPS still don't do (Counter-Operative mode, Simulants, secret unlockable stages, etc).

StayDead

Great video, love listening to the folks from Rare, be it old who are still there or old who are elsewhere. Grant Kirkhope for example is always really interesting to listen to.

I've always loved the Rare people <3

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Hey, sorry for the necrobump, but despite this evidence, I really really remember an old EGM article (maybe) saying the cheese was part of a system that was never finished, but they decided to keep the cheese models in regardless.

Like, there was going to be a reward or something for finding all the cheese.

This sound familiar to any other olds?

Top Bottom