• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare's new game to "push the limits of Unreal Engine 4"

Xbox boss Phil Spencer, who called it "uniquely Rare."

Pd1aC0m.jpg

ViviOggi

Does anyone from the glory days even work there anymore? I've said it before, a Conker without Seavor and the crew can piss right off.

SalvaPot

Nope, not doing this, not getting excited and not falling for it again, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts is the reason why I have trust issues,

battletoads with ninja gaiden combat
itagaki directing
online 3 player coop
Marty odonell doing sound
cliffyb level design

then it gets cancelled so they make kinect sports 3

JimiNutz

Banned
I want a Banjo racing Kart game.
Mario Kart 8 is so damn good and there's definitely room for more awesome kart racers. They could have Banjo, Conker, Battletoads, Viva Pinatas, Kameo etc. all racing. Didn't the old Rare make Diddy Kong Racing?

I don't really see Rare, at least the Rare of today, as cutting edge tech developers, so I can't really see the game "pushing UE4's limits". A PBR Viva Pinata would look mighty good though, I must say.

Ready at Dawn weren't known as cutting edge tech developers either, but The Order 1886 is one of the most cutting edge games visually... so you never know.

I can believe RARE will push the visuals envelope. KSR looks pretty damn good all things considered, not to mention that both Nuts & Bolts and Trouble in Paradise are still two of the best looking games of last gen.

And who could forget Kameo. Lawd ha' mercy...

doyoueven

Neo Member
Ready at Dawn weren't known as cutting edge tech developers either, but The Order 1886 is one of the most cutting edge games visually... so you never know.

Valid point but RaD are not a great example- both psp God of War games were massive technical achievements

amardilo

I'm kind of surprised Rare are using Unreal as their old engines and tech have often tended to be very good (for the time their games were released). There's nothing wrong with using Unreal but I would have thought Rare would have used their own tech.

Also sounds good for Epic as it's another studio making a game with UE4 and it's getting closer to how ubiquitous UE3 was with the last generation.

Also makes me wonder what type of game they are building. I now UE has been used for lots of different types of games but I often associate it with shooters. I'd be happy with another Perfect Dark.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
What I get from this:

"Rare's corpse will make something good... one of these days.... maybe... please pay attention to us."

Jonm1010

Banned
I don't really see Rare, at least the Rare of today, as cutting edge tech developers, so I can't really see the game "pushing UE4's limits". A PBR Viva Pinata would look mighty good though, I must say.
Outside of the kinect crap rare made some really great looking 360 games. Even perfect dark had some really good texture work that holds up with the best of last gen. And the lighting in some areas was also very good.

Ghosts of Sparta was considered a pretty amazing technical achievement for the PSP at the time.

They've been cutting edge for some time, it's just now they have a budget and opportunity to really showcase their skills.

Prine

Banned
Does anyone from the glory days even work there anymore? I've said it before, a Conker without Seavor and the crew can piss right off.

Yes yes yes yes yes how many times must this be said, Banjo guys are still at Rare, and the studio is still one of the top studios to work for in UK so there's no reason to believe they haven't hired some bright and talented devs already.

Mr Swine

Banned
While I believe that Rare of today can make good games, they aren't their Snes/N64 selfs anymore so I will wait and see how their games end up

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Kinect Sport is easily one of the most gorgeous looking XBO titles running at 1080p.

Code:
[IMG]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2806/13718707294_a8952bf7e7_o.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/13741835503_60172fd7e6_o.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3729/13741807623_8e78ca9483_o.png[/IMG]

Ghosts of Sparta was considered a pretty amazing technical achievement for the PSP at the time.

They've been cutting edge for some time, it's just now they have a budget and opportunity to really showcase their skills.

True enough, but I think that given budget and opportunity, any big developers can make something amazing looking. Let's not forget that engines such as UE4 make it easier than ever for the artists to do their thing more effectively.

A real Banjo 3d Platformer makes the most sense. And there are no prominent 3d Platformers outside of Nintendo consoles right now.

The only concern is Rare. Rare hasn't made a good game in the last 10 or so years...

I'm kind of surprised Rare are using Unreal as their old engines and tech have often tended to be very good (for the time their games were released). There's nothing wrong with using Unreal but I would have thought Rare would have used their own tech.

There are mentions of both UE4 and "Rare engine" in recent job postings, whatever that might mean.

Kinect Sport is easily one of the most gorgeous looking XBO titles running at 1080p.

And it's not just the visuals, Rare have been doing things with Kinect tech that few other developers have been able to keep up with. They've never stopped being a bleeding edge tech company.

Outside of the kinect crap rare made some really great looking 360 games. Even perfect dark had some really good texture work that holds up with the best of last gen. And the lighting in some areas was also very good.

Perfect dark textures are amazing, as is Viva Pinatas art style, very true.

Code:
[IMG]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2806/13718707294_a8952bf7e7_o.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/13741835503_60172fd7e6_o.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3729/13741807623_8e78ca9483_o.png[/IMG]

Not saying they don't make good looking games, just that they are not the company I think that will push UE4

Timu

To all who say Perfect Dark, I agree, I mean, the series just can't end with Zero and that redhead needs to make a comeback dammit!!!

I would also accept another Banjo or Jet Force Gemini though.

Raide

Hopefully they get some of the tech that Lionhead was working on for UE4.

New IP would be nice but everyone wants UE4 Banjo.I cannot think of any open world platform games that use UE4. It would look delicious.

Also Viva Pinata remake too!

I remember buying the GoS PSP and being blown away at the quality of the entire thing as a whole. The visuals, controls, sound. They definitely nailed it on the platform.

Kinect Sports can look pretty sweet, yeah.

iDdVFca.gif

I remember that footage giving me a crazy wave of nostalgia when they showcased the game. Just a mix of Wave Race, golden age Rare, and Sega arcade games all rolled into one. I'd love it if Rare could actually recapture that for MS with more compelling titles but man.......it's been so, so, so long.

Top Bottom