• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare's new game to "push the limits of Unreal Engine 4"

jesu

Milk an engine? Really? What does that even mean? What's the problem exactly with using what's widely known as a great tool for game development?? How is that milking??

Dude was in such a hurry to shit on the thread he didn't even stop to think about what he was posting.

tkscz

Well I hope it's something new and not one of their old IPs, considering the people who made those games are gone from Rare and all.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
My guess is Battletoads.

My heart wants a new Conker but the key members from that team are long gone anyway.

I could dig a perfect dark. Would be good to have rare pick it up as a shooter franchise to complement halo off years or something. Maybe get a third thing going and have them on 3 year cycles.

I doubt it will be something risky. My money is on Perfect Dark purely because I think "uniquely Rare" is a bit of a jibe at Nintendo. As in: "you may have Goldeneye but we've got Perfect Dark :p"

I could dig a perfect dark. Would be good to have rare pick it up as a shooter franchise to complement halo off years or something. Maybe get a third thing going and have them on 3 year cycles.

Or make it more of a gadget stealth game.

Expectations are in the toilet. Just look at the games they have made since Microsoft bought them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare

How many of them have been truly great games?

All of their Xbox 360 games up to and including the first Kinect Sports. Well, I don't know about the Jetpac remake.

EDIT: Sorry, PDZ was just all right.

Silky

Banned
Kameo, Nuts & Bolts, Kinect Sports and Viva Pinata Trouble In Paradise.
So four.

Rare was so prolific last gen, shame it hasn't carried on yet this gen.

So true. Kinect Sports 1&2 in particular had my household (at the time, ages 6 to 74) playing daily for almost a year.

Rivals is a beautiful game but would have worked better as downloadable bite size chunks with more events. Selfishly I'd like their next game to cater more closely to my tastes but it's just as awesome to see my son delighting in Rare games much like I did as a boy.

EctoPrime

Getting a new Battletoads out as fast as possible to leech off the TMNT film makes a lot of sense even if they missed the best opportunities to do so already.

I'm finally gonna get a next gen RC Pro Am, Snake Rattle 'n' Roll and Wizards & Warriors? I loved those games! They can bring in Fucking David Wise to do some new Wizards & Warriors tunes. :p

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's a shame to see that a company as large and wealthy as MS has given up on first-party engine development. I guess they're doubling down on not putting out any eyeball-melting games this generation.

eso76

I don't really see Rare, at least the Rare of today, as cutting edge tech developers, so I can't really see the game "pushing UE4's limits". A PBR Viva Pinata would look mighty good though, I must say.

I think their x360 games are easily among the best exclusive titles the console has to offer on a technical level. Not sure about Kinect stuff on xbone, though.

Ooccoo

It's time for Perfect Dark to come back. And for another glorious OST. Listen to this if you love VG music: http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Perfect+Dark+Zero+Original+Sou/237635.

Not better than the original N64 game, but still amazing.

Perfect Dark would be an instant hit IMO. Bring back Grant Kirkhope/Graeme Norgate/David Clynick.

The missions need to go back to the N64 roots. PDZ was awful in that department.

And lol @ people who mention Conker. It won't happen. Christopher Seavor is busy making small scale games nowadays and without him I don't want it. http://www.gory-detail.com/

Do any of the original team members even still work there? Just because they have the Rare name doesn't mean they still have the talent they once had

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
There are mentions of both UE4 and "Rare engine" in recent job postings, whatever that might mean.
Rare on twitter:
Today's [team name redacted] buffet
https://twitter.com/rareltd/status/543442468562546690

I think, what this means is just that Rare has two (or more?) teams working on individual games, one that uses the UE-engine, one that uses the Rare-engine. I think these three projects shoudl in some way be done: Banjo (because it's the best IP they have, probably a bigger-budget game, using UE4?), Conker (revitalizing the IP with Spark, having Seavor as voice-actor, maybe a mid-budget game, using Rare-engine?), Battletoads (maybe mostly outsoruced, low-budget game for Xbox Live Arcade, using the Killer Instinct engine?)

Leflus

That's what I'm not understanding either.
Just hype and PR I guess. Unless they really mean 'pushing the console to the limits using UE4'.
Eh. Lionhead developed a custom Global Illumination technique which was actually integrated into Unreal Engine 4.

http://www.lionhead.com/blog/2014/april/17/dynamic-global-illumination-in-fable-legends/

We don't know what Rare is doing with UE4, but it's obviously possible that other studios than Epic can improve the engine.

Do any of the original team members even still work there? Just because they have the Rare name doesn't mean they still have the talent they once had
They still have key members from the Banjo and Viva Pinata teams and the composer behind the Killer Instinct and Conker's Bad Fur Day soundtracks.

The main guys behind Killer Instinct, Conker and the fps games are gone afaik. Well... Ken Lobb is working for Microsoft, but he's not a part of Rare.

BKSmash

Rare on twitter:
https://twitter.com/rareltd/status/543442468562546690

I think, what this means is just that Rare has two (or more?) teams working on individual games, one that uses the UE-engine, one that uses the Rare-engine. I think these three projects shoudl in some way be done: Banjo (because it's the best IP they have, probably a bigger-budget game, using UE4?), Conker (revitalizing the IP with Spark, having Seavor as voice-actor, maybe a mid-budget game, using Rare-engine?), Battletoads (maybe mostly outsoruced, low-budget game for Xbox Live Arcade, using the Killer Instinct engine?)

That sounds like the dream scenario for everybody..

Dear god please yes

Prine

Banned
The old Rare would develop their own engine, so this is nothing to brag about.
Old Rare would also take 5 years to make a game. While Rare have consistently pushed every console to its limits, Conker on Xbox , Kameo, Banjo on 360, I feel they take so long putting out an engine together they perhaps don't get to focus on game design enough. I mentioned enough on purpose, so the the wizards at Rare (yes, they are technology wizards) could focus on building ontop of framework and gameplay rather than building from the ground up. Anything they put out, will look stunning.

Leflus

Old Rare would also take 5 years to make a game. While Rare have consistently pushed every console to its limits, Conker on Xbox , Kameo, Banjo on 360, I feel they take so long putting and engine together they perhaps don't get to focus on game design enough. I mentioned enough on purpose, so the the wizards at Rare (yes, they are technology wizards) could focus on building ontop of framework and gameplay rather than building from the ground up. Anything they put it, will look stunning.
N64 era Rare was effective as hell. 11 N64 games in 6 years.

That was a completely different time though. Rare would have to hire several hundred extra developers if they wanted to release two AAA games every year.

jesu

Old Rare would also take 5 years to make a game. While Rare have consistently pushed every console to its limits, Conker on Xbox , Kameo, Banjo on 360, I feel they take so long putting out an engine together they perhaps don't get to focus on game design enough. I mentioned enough on purpose, so the the wizards at Rare (yes, they are technology wizards) could focus on building ontop of framework and gameplay rather than building from the ground up. Anything they put out, will look stunning.

N64 era Rare was effective as hell. 11 N64 games in 6 years.

That was a completely different time though. Rare would have to hire several hundred extra developers if they wanted to release two AAA games every year.

They had 10 games in 6 years last gen.
That's not so slow.

ShogunX

Rare closed down years ago.

This company using the name makes nothinng but shit.

Kameo, Viva Pinata 1 + 2, Nuts and Bolts, Kinect Sports 1 are all very good games. Not sure why people always have to resort to saying how shit Rare are these days when in reality they still have a lot of talent.

Top Bottom