• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Summer Game Fest Showcase 2023

Rate the Summer Game Fest Showcase 2023

• It was fantastic

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • It was very good

Votes: 53 17.1%
  • It was okay

Votes: 114 36.8%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 65 21.0%
  • It was poor

Votes: 50 16.1%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 23 7.4%

• Total voters

Woopah

It was as mid as it gets. Xbox’s showcase is the only hope we got left for some decent game announcements.
I have a good feeling about the next Xbox and Nintendo shows. But then again I had a good feeling about the Sony show too....

ungalo

I think mediocre.

A few interesting announcements but they are small games (like the new IP with Toriyama or the 2D Sonic), and 2 or 3 very good trailers (Space marine 2, Lies of P, Final Fantasy 7...).

ProtoByte

Yup... sony could have done that. And the thing is if they did do that, and showed the other stuff that we didn't like, people wouldn't have complained too much.

But even if they only showed half of what they did but had most of those have gameplay stuff... everyone would have come out happy with the showing.

The problem with that Sony show was that the balance was off. They showed almost 25/30 games. But of those games, maybe only 5 or so of them had actual gameplay and the rest were trailers that we couldn't really get into or get a feel of.
Stinks of a showcase done out of contractual marketing obligations as opposed to having exciting content.

It was a 5/10 to 6/10 show for me, so.. mediocre... but okay too?

Some good games, AW2, MK1, FF7:R2 or Lies of P, very bad pacing as per usual with Geoff's shows, and a lot of fillers.

But i never expect much from this summer shows from him so, meh, not that bad

hinch7

Forgot this was on. Looks like I didn't miss much this year :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Fingers crossed at least Microsoft can put on a good show in a few days.

Pejo

Was late watching it, but at least it let me skip a lot of the filler shit in the last half. Rated it "Mediocre".

Positives
+FFVII Rebirth Tifa bomb drop. Red looks insanely cool to play.
+Lies of P looks good, going to try the demo out later. Unlike a lot of "souls-like" games, they fucking nailed the atmosphere that they were aiming for, which goes a long way for gaining my respect.
+Path of Exile 2 looks good. Didn't play the first one, so I might try that out next Steam sale.
+Nick Cage was actually pretty cool. He didn't try to "hey there fellow gamers" us and just talked about being excited for the opportunity. I've always liked his crazy ass though. Still won't play the game.
+SandLand. The only game with a bit of character, and the only one daring to show something different in the show. I'm not sold that I'm gonna love it, but at least it's something fresh with a fun vibe.
+Toxic Commando looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun if its Co-Op like it eludes to. Framerate was rough. Bon Jovi drove most of the hype.
+Jeff's Doordash Taco Bell promo. He had some fun with that and it gave me a smile. I gotta give him some respect, he knows his audience at this point.

Unknowns/Undecided
  • Zoomer Prince of Persia: Fortnite edition - Gameplay looks like it could be good, everything else was bad
  • Mortal Kombat 1 - Interesting ideas but the Kameo fighters just look like MTX bait. The whole concept of the Kameo function has been done in anime fighters since like the 90s, but everyone's gonna talk about how novel and amazing it is, I bet. Visuals are amazing, designs and art style a big meh. Kenshi redesign looks great though. Interested in seeing the new backstories for some of the characters.
  • Ever since its reveal I though Witchfire looks cool, might be janky though. Keeping an eye on it.
  • Ever Crisis is my own personal crisis of the show. It looks like the level of quality I wanted from a proper FFVII remake, but it's mobile and probably littered with gacha or MTX. Also looks to be broken up by stages instead of a 1:1 remake with extended world stuff added in. Also adds in "western aimed" stuff like those deviantart tier OCs, one of which is expected to face off against Sephiroth, lmao. I will sign up for the beta, but I'm cautious about this one, I feel like it can only disappoint me.
  • Sonic. Could be a fun party game, could be a fun classic-tier Sonic. Gotta wait and see, but I didn't mind the updated visuals. Looked a bit slower than classic Sonic though, which is a shame. 60FPS is nice though.
  • Palworld. Murder your pokemon. I'll keep an eye on it.
  • Spooderman 2. Just not very exciting for me personally yet. I thought the first one was ok.
  • Lysfanga looks interesting? Indie but I like the concept.
  • Banishers. Looks janky but again I like the concept.
Negatives
-Witcher series can suck my ass. Netflix ruined any chance of it being good way back in season 1. Cavill deserved better.
-Smilegate/NCSoft/Amazon/Mobile games
-Didn't care for what they showed of Alan Wake 2.
-Sweet Tooth and Will Arnette's Zoom call.
-All of the other shlock that didn't even leave an impression.

My negatives section is the smallest, but that's because I didn't care to list out all of the boring/shit content. If I did, it would have been the biggest.

Wasn’t for mk1 and ff7. It would had been a bad show. It was an ok/good show. If this was an e3 week, this could be the first time u can say, damn Xbox got a damn good chance to win e3 and it be un questionable unless u was a fan. But knowing Xbox, it be an ok/good show, and not great. But they get a point since no movie or tv show. So without even seeing Xbox show. I say their chance of having the best is 80% already.

Shockingly not bad. Some neat things for weebs, some neat things for westaboos. Good gameplay for some already announced stuff. Little cringe for Keighley standards.

Potential buys for me are Alan Wake, Sonic, Yakuza, FF7, Warhammer, Prince of Persia.

Lupin25

It was okay. Better than I thought it would be.

FF7 Rebirth, Alan Wake 2, Warhammer SM 2,
had good trailers and I was surprised to see a Spider-Man 2 release date. October is jam-packed now.

However, Geoff couldn’t secure trailers for DS2, Silent Hill 2, or Hades 2, which would’ve elevated the show even more. Oh well.

jm89

Started out okay, then dropped to mediocre, almost hit poor before rebirth dragged it back to okay.

Last edited:

Gideon

Elden ring was announced at the xbox showcase so there should be a big chance the dlc will show up there too right? 🙂

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It was very good. Doesnt quite have the excitement of E3 though. And I like Nintendo a lot.

Fbh

I forgot Nick Cage was there.
I'd like to change my score to 10/10

Someone please help me understand why we are still getting cross gen games in 2024

WHY ?! FUCKING WHY?!

Why not?
There's tons of people still on those consoles and publishers must have the metrics showing that some games still get decent sales on the.
Why would a company like Ubisoft not release their 2D Prince of Persia with Fortnite graphics on Ps4?

There's hardly anything on Ps5/X1 that couldn't run on last gen because there's no gameplay and design innovations. If the only new thing about your game is graphics and resolution then those can be scaled back.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
sheesh, GAF is just full of miserable grouches
This is us basically all the time:

asks mr bean GIF

Top Bottom