• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Summer Game Fest Showcase 2023

Rate the Summer Game Fest Showcase 2023

• It was fantastic

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • It was very good

Votes: 53 17.1%
  • It was okay

Votes: 114 36.8%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 65 21.0%
  • It was poor

Votes: 50 16.1%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 23 7.4%

• Total voters
How do you rate the showcase?

I think it started out great and slowly went downhill over the course of the show, but had a banger ending with the Final Fantasy VII Rebirth drop.

There were also some great reveals with Mortal Kombat 1 gameplay, Alan Wake II gameplay, Path of Exile 2 announcement, Sonic Superstars announcement, Lies of P demo drop and release date announcement, Spider-Man 2 release date announcement, etc..

Overall, I voted "It was very good".

EDIT - After a bit of time, I've cooled on it a bit. I think it was better than "okay", but "very good" is too generous. So because there's no option in between I'm changing my vote to "okay".

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Bored Married With Children GIF

I think it says a lot that the majority of the showings received lukewarm applause at best from the audience.

We are three years into what is supposed to be the next generation and in a lot of cases it looks and feels like we are still very much in the previous one.

Thabass

It was good. Some stuff I'm excited for, but a lot of it we've seen. It gets the very good rank from my for FFVII Remake and Sonic Superstars.

TVexperto

mobile games, tv show trailers, a freaking segment for a new chapter for a season of fortnite?? da fuq was this crap

Roufianos

It's a Keighley showcase, of course it's gonna be loaded with ads and shovelware, with no respect for the audience's time.

A handful of decent looking games in there though.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Worse than PS Showcase

So many mobile games shown and then two showcases for Fortnite.

Space Marine 2 was the highlight, but no big surprises.

Again people are expecting way too much from these showcases. This was at least better than the PS showcase. Wouldn't be surprised if this is better than the Xbox showcase lol.

Very decent show.....

Sonic Superstars
Spider-Man 2 date reveal
Mortal Kombat 1
Alan Wake II
Wharhammer 40k: Spacemarine 2
Final Fantasy Rebirth
John Carpenter’s Toxic Commando

Last edited:

Stuart360

Realy poor i thought to say this is like the 'big' show where multiplatform publishers can show us their stuff.

I actually though Sony's show was better. Sony's show may of been a bad Playstation show, but for a PC gamer like me, it was a solid if average show overall. This Summer shit fest was just really bad.

Nautilus

Banned
Starterd strong, but then kind of fell of a cliff, only for its finale to be REALLY saved by FF 7 Remake 2.

Its certainly a far better show than it was since it started in 2020.

7/10

YCoCg

Very Good for me

- New Classic Sonic game
- Mortal Kombat 1 info
- Alan Wake 2 gameplay
- Spider-Man 2 release date
- Like A Dragon gameplay and more info reveal for "The Man Who Erased His Name"

That's enough to keep me busy the rest of the year, maybe that Toxic whatever game from John Romero if it turns out to be good and an actual evolution on Left 4 Dead that we all wanted Back 4 Blood to be but it never was.

Metnut

So pumped to see FF7 Rebirth. Show was a home run. Two FF games in a 12 month period. What a time to be alive.

I'll copy and paste my post from the other thread:

C rated show. I think I rated Sony's better. This was a much better show than last years' but he still needs to do more work on it being the best gaming show of the summer.

Once again, the pacing was the biggest issue. I don't know why Geoff keeps overloading the second half of his shows with movies and mobile(with a sprinkle of indie) when he should spread them out throughout the show. I'm sure the sponsors of those would appreciate the spacing too.

Some standout new stuff I enjoyed seeing:

Prince of Persia Lost Crown
MK 1 Gameplay
Sonic Superstars
Sandland
John Carpenter's Toxic Commando
Palworld
LotR Return to Moria
Ever Crisis FF7
Banishers Ghost of New Eden
Like a Dragon: Gaiden
Under the Waves
FF7 Rebirth gameplay

Last edited:

Killer8

It was okay, it was always going to be a smaller scale event. Some interesting reveals and gameplay on display. Really like the look of SandLand, Mortal Kombat 1, Alan Wake II and the new Yakuza. And of course all of the Final Fantasy VII stuff (Rebirth + the mobile game).

KXVXII9X

It started off kind of good, especially with the MK1 trailer, along with Prince of Persia, and Sonic Superstars. Then went down a steep cliff and didn't stop. A lot of Asian Medieval games that looked the same as the next one shown. More and more games started to look like mobile games, except for Yakuza and then went back to it. I am also let down that the big surprise at the end was a game we already knew about and that was kind of expected. I give it a meh/10. Not worth making a whole show over.

Camreezie

I rate it as better than the playstation showcase, which if id have been told id say that before the playstation showcase id have laughed hard

7/10

Laieon

Solid C. Better than Sony's, that's for sure. Geoff's shows have a massive problem with bloat though, I'd prefer this (and the game awards) to be 1/2 as long as they are and focus on quality over quantity. At the same time, I understand that the GAAS stuff is probably what keeps the lights on.

No real big highlight, but there was a decent amount of games shown I'm interested in but will realistically never actually play.

The ball really is in Microsoft's court right now.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

I didn't watch it as I just got off work but looking at the trailers and what was announced it looks very blah

After Sony completely shit the bed I thought there would be a couple of things I enjoyed but not really.

I'm hoping the Xbox showcase sucks too so it'll be a full sweep

Superkewl

Gold Member
wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but nothing really interested me except Space Marine II and the Star trek game.

Top Bottom