• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman, Beyond Good & Evil creator Michel Ancel announces retirement from the games industry

fermcr

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
it seemed like he had a hard time getting games into production, in order to get them off the ground. he had to cave into modern sensibilities of videogames. sometimes there's a reason why game creators leave a series.

and Rayman is the reason, why Ubisoft is even a well-known name in the first place. other than Tom Clancy's games.

Deft Beck

Beyond Good and Evil 2 was shaping up to be a GTA Online clone with nothing resembling the plot or themes of the original game. I don't blame him for getting burnt out.

OneBigPuss

BG&E is one of my favourite games ever but im not interested in sequel at all.It doesn't look like something from the same series and i think it will be canceled or put on hold anyway.

"He goes on to confirm that both WiLD and Beyond Good & Evil 2, two titles previously under his supervision, are "going super well"
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.png

retired man: "yes, our two vaporware from eons ago are doing just fine. Now excuse me, it's nap time"

really sad there was never VRayman. floating hands are all the rage in VR

CAB_Life

WiLD is going so well that everyone forgot about it, there’s been not an ounce of new media and a reasonable person might think it’s vapour ware.

So well.

I was actually looking forward to this game too, but doubtful I’ll ever see it—at least not in the style with which we were presented.

reptilex

Banned
"He goes on to confirm that both WiLD and Beyond Good & Evil 2, two titles previously under his supervision, are "going super well", and that fans of the two games shouldn't be worried."

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._announces_retirement_from_the_games_industry

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...rom_games_ps4_exclusive_wild_going_super_well

Is this a good sign for Beyond Good & Evil 2?

Okay Ubisoft is dead. Calling it now. After the huge scandal of sexism (actual porcs) that they covered because they were white, while on the other firing actual talent "because he cheated" and a PR because he was "passive-aggressive" twice and turns out were not-white, the incoming scandal of racism and this, one of the few pillar figures of Ubisoft remaining in the company leaving...

And then we're surprised at how bland and uninteresting the last AC, Watch Dogs or Far Cry were, how crap Gods Phenix Stuff and PoP Remake look, how failed Hyperscape and the latests Trackmania were, and now they're onto milking franchises on a niche VR market...this is eventually going to have an impact. They lost everything in the space of a year.

Now that could be an Arkane situation (another french studio) and somehow it makes way for actual talents that are no just hired because of consanguinity, being white and having irrelevant curriculum with no talent, or...

Last edited:
I've suspected for a time now that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is done for. It really feels like the project is in development hell, and I think this departure tells a lot about the current state the game is in. I've been completely suspicious about it since that first "gameplay" video they showed, and how it basically looks like it is going to be nothing like the original game. Michel Ancel is an incredible game designer, as he has proven that time and time again. I can't imagine he would just quit in the middle of the development of such a high profile title, and one that he has been trying to get off the ground for over a decade. My suspicions are that he just couldn't reconcile the vision of the game he wanted to create and Ubisoft's mandates for live services/micro transactions/open world extravaganzas. Rather than have his creative vision compromised because of these imposed mandates (probably several times over the years), he probably just called it quits. I hope he doesn't quit forever though, because I think he could still greatly contribute to gaming.

Futaleufu

i remember that BGE2 contest where people could submit their art to appear as graffitis in the game. That was over 2 years ago.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
BG&E2 was a favor to Ancel, I don't think Ubi is gonna stand behind it with him gone. And even with him there it wasn't much resembling the game I loved on GameCube all those years ago.

Ancel is a legend, hope he finds his new career fulfilling. And maybe he'll find his way back some day like Eric Chahi or Frederick Raynal did.

"He goes on to confirm that both WiLD and Beyond Good & Evil 2, two titles previously under his supervision, are "going super well", and that fans of the two games shouldn't be worried."

Looking forward to playing Beyond Good and Evil 2 on PS7 and Xbox Series π (Pi sounds better than letters).

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
2003: “Hey here’s a Zelda clone called Beyond Good and Evil”

2020: “Hey here’s a Zelda clone called Immortals Fenyx Rising”

Like how did they drop the ball so terribly to not just make that game into Beyond Good and Evil 2?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This guy is one of the unsung heroes of the industry -- Rayman Origins and ESPECIALLY Rayman Legends are two of the best side-scrolling platform games ever made, and because the gaming public is stupid, they never made another one.

Also, Beyond Good and Evil was really good.

Sucks, but I hope the reason for retirement is a positive one and not fucking COVID or something else like that.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Wait, what?
My understanding is the game is online only so you're forced to connect with others. I guess there's a "single player" story but you have to share (but not necessarily play) the world with others. Sort of like what they're doing with Diablo 4.

Last edited:

Ian Henry

I hope he's doing well health-wise. Don't want to lose another legend in the industry. BG&E and Rayman are some of his finest creations, BG&E 2 and Wild better not be hot messes.

TheMan

wow, just heard about this today, i was super surprised. With all the new about consoles and preorders and of course everything else in the world, this news completely flew under the radar. Poor guy, his last game has been stuck in development hell and now that we are transitioning generations, what the hell are they gonna do with it?

My money is that BGE2 is just scrapped.

Top Bottom