• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RaySpace, brand new FPS by SonyJapan possibly leaked in their careers page

kyliethicc

From that reddit post, in comments:

"Meanwhile, on the "official" side of things, we have SIE Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida, who during an interview with Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty at E3 2015, told them that "Japan Studio is now producing a really great project that I'm really excited about", said the project was also Allan Becker's (former Santa Monica studio head who took over Japan Studio's direction between 2011 and February 2020) key title in his plan to turn around the studio. For those who may wonder, that game was not Gravity Rush 2, as Toyama's title was later referenced as a different project by Yoshida during the interview."

"In December 2017 we discovered the existence of a new trademark by Sony Interactive Entertainment called "RaySpace" - one could say that the "unnamed space game" from earlier got its title. That same month we also got 4Gamer's interview with creative director Tsusomu Kouno, who teased a game announcement for 2018, while Teruyuki Toriyama also promised: "ambitious title announcements" for the coming year. But as 2018 went by and we were told by Sony themselves to not expect major first-party reveals at their E3 showcase and learned that PSX wouldn't be a thing that year, it started to be clear that there was a change of plans and the game wouldn't be shown."

"Eventually, December came and so a new 4Gamer interview with Japan Studio staff. What was shocking is that Teruyuki Toriyama once again told us that he was "preparing for the debut of an unannounced title currently in production", but that didn't happen for the second year in a row. So what was going on with this project during the period 2018-2019? Well, I wanna get one thing absolutely clear: the game wasn't cancelled, as we would've heard the echoes of a downfall of this size just like we did when Santa Monica cancelled Darkside/Internal 7 in early 2014."

Name five good Japanese shooters. Go!
Depends on what you define as a shooter. Honestly, I feel if they can create something as complex as DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Tekken or Bayonetta, they can probably create some very good FPS games if they really put their mind to it.

Vanquish
Metal Gear Solid 5
Resident Evil
Binary Domain
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Time Crisis 4
Ikaruga
Shadows of the Damned
Radiant Silvergun
Sin and Punishment
Breakdown
House of the Dead
Earth Defense Force
Evil Within
Lost Planet
Splatoon
Deathsmiles
Ace Combat

Evil Within 2
Dino Crisis
Lost Planet 2
Splatoon 2

I’m sure there are more.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Bu bu bu Japan Studio is being killed off! You telling me they're allowed to make games they want and have games in the pipeline?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Bu bu bu Japan Studio is being killed off! You telling me they're allowed to make games they want and have games in the pipeline?
Is a tragedy actually. That 2 marvelous persons leave this company is sad, Japan Studio give us many quality games

Bu Bu Bu... You can know? If you dont care about good games.

Unknown?

Is a tragedy actually. That 2 marvelous persons leave this company is sad, Japan Studio give us many quality games

Bu Bu Bu... You can know? If you dont care about good games.
And two marvelous people have filled their positions. Meanwhile I was told they had no games in production and things were in shambles. Looks like that narrative is dead now, no weight behind it.

From that reddit post, in comments:

"Meanwhile, on the "official" side of things, we have SIE Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida, who during an interview with Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty at E3 2015, told them that "Japan Studio is now producing a really great project that I'm really excited about", said the project was also Allan Becker's (former Santa Monica studio head who took over Japan Studio's direction between 2011 and February 2020) key title in his plan to turn around the studio. For those who may wonder, that game was not Gravity Rush 2, as Toyama's title was later referenced as a different project by Yoshida during the interview."

"In December 2017 we discovered the existence of a new trademark by Sony Interactive Entertainment called "RaySpace" - one could say that the "unnamed space game" from earlier got its title. That same month we also got 4Gamer's interview with creative director Tsusomu Kouno, who teased a game announcement for 2018, while Teruyuki Toriyama also promised: "ambitious title announcements" for the coming year. But as 2018 went by and we were told by Sony themselves to not expect major first-party reveals at their E3 showcase and learned that PSX wouldn't be a thing that year, it started to be clear that there was a change of plans and the game wouldn't be shown."

"Eventually, December came and so a new 4Gamer interview with Japan Studio staff. What was shocking is that Teruyuki Toriyama once again told us that he was "preparing for the debut of an unannounced title currently in production", but that didn't happen for the second year in a row. So what was going on with this project during the period 2018-2019? Well, I wanna get one thing absolutely clear: the game wasn't cancelled, as we would've heard the echoes of a downfall of this size just like we did when Santa Monica cancelled Darkside/Internal 7 in early 2014."

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say:

This is a VR game. It was built for the PSVR originally, planned to be launched on PS4+PS4PRO, then something happened, maybe they saw Half life Alyx or other games, or that the graphics/mechanics were not good enough on PSVR anymore and decided that this should be bumped to the PS5 + PSVR2.

Japan studio, FPS, long dev time with changes. My money is 100% on a PSVR2 launch title

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
And two marvelous people have filled their positions. Meanwhile I was told they had no games in production and things were in shambles. Looks like that narrative is dead now, no weight behind it.
Tell me this 2 new people the curriculum or what games they do them?

kyliethicc

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say:

This is a VR game. It was built for the PSVR originally, planned to be launched on PS4+PS4PRO, then something happened, maybe they saw Half life Alyx or other games, or that the graphics/mechanics were not good enough on PSVR anymore and decided that this should be bumped to the PS5 + PSVR2.

Japan studio, FPS, long dev time with changes. My money is 100% on a PSVR2 launch title
would make sense. very possible

Royal-Slime

Banned
FPS on a console? Not interested.
The cybersport champion enters the ring! Scaaaaaryyyy!!! :( :eek:
2h3m2v.jpg

Last edited:
I love when Japanese studios make games people don't usually associate with Japan. We usually get some cool stuff, with new ideas.

Things like Dragon's Dogma on the western-style RPG, that put more of an emphasis on combat. Resident Evil VII mixed a FPS with an adventure game, just like the original did with adventure games and third-person shooters.

Hmmm.... looking at my list. Maybe Capcom should make this game.

Aion002

Name five good Japanese shooters. Go!

I guess you mean fps, because in tps games MGS 5 and Vanquish are in the top of the best ones ever and other shooters like ace combat and salamander are dominated by Japanese devs.

But here it is:

Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil Dead Aim (Heroes Never Die in Japan) - an amazing ps2 game! Fight me!

Gungriffon 2 (Sega Saturn classic)

Steel Battalion (og xbox)

Elebits (Wii) - it's a unique fps and quite good.

FrozenFlame

I think what he meant was FPS games not shooters per say . And he is right there is not much if any m. FPS is not Something the Japanese devs are good or / interested to be in or good at lol.

Yeah, I know, it was kinda of a joke post. On the other hand, Japanese developers are more likely to do something... bizarre, so, who knows, maybe they'll come up with something refreshing to the fps genre.

First Japanese FPS ever?
Well, I vaguely remember Breakdown having a weapon, so, even if it's melee/powers focused, you could say it's a fps. If not, RE7. But it's highly likely there's some obscure/niche fps on the PS1/PS2...

Paasei

I´m sure Sony is making the game suited for you and not the others hundreds or tens of millions of players. You´re that important.
I only said I'm not interested in FPS games on a console. Never have I said they should create a game that I want, and I never will. No need to attack me on not being interested.

If you even think about reacting something in the likes of "then why do you even comment, lol?" Then my question would be: Why am I only allowed to say something positive if I want to comment my thoughts on any rumor?

If you are excited for this, then that's totally fine. Doesn't mean that I have to be.

Forgot to add: Might be great to see it on PC.

Last edited:

Romulus

Depends on what you define as a shooter. Honestly, I feel if they can create something as complex as DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Tekken or Bayonetta, they can probably create some very good FPS games if they really put their mind to it.

Vanquish
Metal Gear Solid 5
Resident Evil
Binary Domain
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Time Crisis 4
Ikaruga
Radiant Silvergun
Sin and Punishment
Breakdown
House of the Dead
Earth Defense Force
Evil Within
Lost Planet
Splatoon
Deathsmiles
Ace Combat

Evil Within 2
Dino Crisis
Lost Planet 2
Splatoon 2

I’m sure there are more.

The shooting in Breakdown is fucking awful. Some of the worst from that generation.

Yeah, I know, it was kinda of a joke post. On the other hand, Japanese developers are more likely to do something... bizarre, so, who knows, maybe they'll come up with something refreshing to the fps genre.

Well, I vaguely remember Breakdown having a weapon, so, even if it's melee/powers focused, you could say it's a fps. If not, RE7. But it's highly likely there's some obscure/niche fps on the PS1/PS2...
RE7 is not FPS, it’s survival horror game.

Top Bottom