• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 Patch 1.09 Get to the poker table Boah

Aintitcool

Banned

If you don't believe me at least trust this "expert " on the youtube of an expert calibrator. You can also see the heat maps.

Last edited:

Burger

Computer displays are in the 256 8bit colour space. My tv is a Oled 55 E6 that I use to test my HDR works. IN SIMULATION OF LIGHTING(Like videogames) it is no longer a creative choice but a system that simulates how colours are suppose to be graded from 0-1000(HDR10). In this game when you turn of HDR you can see the intended colours by the developer.

Here you go I also grade movies in HDR.

https://github.com/igarrison/HDRWebVideoCreatorsGuide (Might help you at work if you think I'm talking crack)

Please don't say an art major doesn't understand how colour is suppose to look.You don't ask colour blind people to colour correct your video files do you? My degree is about Art and implementation of things like colour theory.

Again I waiting for someone to try and discuss HDR but nobody here seems to know WTF it is suppose to do. A true HDR implementation like in Uncharted 4 or Horizon or Destiny2 does not lose colours or black levels but increases them and their quality.

I understand very well what HDR is supposed to do. I can guarantee you that not everyone thinks its a great idea. This is me speaking as an LG Oled owner and a fan of HDR.

I delivered a job recently in SDR and HDR. Nobody has seen the HDR version because it hasn't been shown, only the SDR version has been released. The SDR look was the look of the show, and that was the look. Everyone was happy. For the HDR grade just the highlights were allowed up into the extra range, the lower end remained as it was.

This is what I suspect happened with RDR2. Rockstar set the look a long time ago in SDR and everyone liked it. HDR was mandated - so they made it look as close to the SDR as possible. There may have been some technical errors with this (desaturation) but it was otherwise ok. Not drastically different from the SDR - this is not a crime.

Just because HDR exists, does not mean all the range must be used - any DOP will tell you that.

With a camera you can see the difference straight away which is also evident to the eye, this is a direct view capture from my KS8000. SDR has far less color range and more gray comes through, the sky is more gray than blue, the foliage and grass is more gray, blacks are also crushed and detail is lost in the dark (look in the center of the foremost tree to the left and the middle of Arthur's back).

Another revelation I also discovered is when in SDR mode it has a sharpening filter applied which is not in effect with HDR and results in undesirable edge artifacts.

This is captured from a single save immediately after load, same ToD, same location, same sun position and the sun is fully unobscured in both.

P.S. Don't mind the apparent light bleed in the HDR shot on the edges, it's not visible to the eye but the camera picks it up.

32921506837_dda2d5a4ef_o.png

32921506437_9406d8b506_o.png

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I finally got to try this out tonight. It’s a massive improvement. I won’t try to claim it’s the best HDR out there, but it finally does what it says on the tin. Shadows are deep near-blacks and the sun is almost blinding. Night in the campsite is especially dramatic. It all feels very real.

I totally respect your opinion to dislike the game for the reasons you gave though I do disagree with them. If RDR2 is such a horrible game, by comparison which game/s of this generation are you impressed by or truly believe deserve the credit RDR2 is getting?
Since my comments were off topic I don't want to derail the thread any further with opinions not relevant to the patch.

Patch wise, fired up game and played some poker. Seems the card dealing animations and transitions are slightly faster which is a nice improvement, but could still be sped up more. The NPC comments seemed less random and better reflected what was happening in the match. The camera now has more freedom to look around the table which was strangely limited in the past. Still the same old shit eating grin win animations though. Couldn't they save that for big hands?

Things poker is still missing: bluffing tells, taunting (seriously why can't I table talk?), cheating and accusing someone of cheating that could lead to a fight.

Open world interactions also seem to initiate with slightly less delay making grappling fences and picking up objects a little better. Although, petting dogs is still the most devilishly slow animation ever devised.

The new FPS2 controller setup is now the best way to play. Also the Weapon/Item wheel selection change was moved from the right shoulder to the 'X' button xbone which threw off my muscle memory but felt more natural for the few times I used it.

Multiplayer I still refuse to play due to the grindy gameplay and auto aim.

Hinedorf

Banned
Since my comments were off topic I don't want to derail the thread any further with opinions not relevant to the patch.

Patch wise, fired up game and played some poker. Seems the card dealing animations and transitions are slightly faster which is a nice improvement, but could still be sped up more. The NPC comments seemed less random and better reflected what was happening in the match. The camera now has more freedom to look around the table which was strangely limited in the past. Still the same old shit eating grin win animations though. Couldn't they save that for big hands?

Things poker is still missing: bluffing tells, taunting (seriously why can't I table talk?), cheating and accusing someone of cheating that could lead to a fight.

Open world interactions also seem to initiate with slightly less delay making grappling fences and picking up objects a little better. Although, petting dogs is still the most devilishly slow animation ever devised.

The new FPS2 controller setup is now the best way to play. Also the Weapon/Item wheel selection change was moved from the right shoulder to the 'X' button xbone which threw off my muscle memory but felt more natural for the few times I used it.

Multiplayer I still refuse to play due to the grindy gameplay and auto aim.

Auto aim is the only reason why a third person view works, any other way I need a mouse and keyboard. I did notice a speed up in the card animations which is helpful.

Something I'm not totally clear on.......when you do the 'check cards' button does it visibly show you doing this motion to the other players. You see people frequently looking at their cards, wondering if that's an actual controlled mechanic.

Top Bottom