• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE4 PS2 to support true widescreen

Mashing

Good news for those waiting for the PS2 port, but it makes their decision to leave it out of the GC version baffling.

Cathcart

I guess this is cool if you're into retro gaming. November is Fire Emblem time :)

And no quoting me and chaning Fire Emblem to some crap other game you clowns. Unless it's DW8. I'm OK with that.

Ristamar

Mashing said:
Good news for those waiting for the PS2 port, but it makes their decision to leave it out of the GC version baffling.

That would really depend on how well the visuals hold up. IIRC, the letterboxing was a performance issue as well an aesthetic one.

Flo_Evans

Cathcart said:
I guess this is cool if you're into retro gaming. November is Fire Emblem time :)

And no quoting me and chaning Fire Emblem to some crap other game you clowns. Unless it's DW8. I'm OK with that.

true dat.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Ristamar said:
That would really depend on how well the visuals hold up. IIRC, the letterboxing was a performance issue as well an aesthetic one.

If the letterboxing was a performance issue and they're going full widescreen with the PS2 version...then Capcom must be really confident in their PS2 coding skills. :p

Meh, I have a Sony VVega 4:3 (obviously) tv, widescreen on PS2 and what I had for GC won't be much of a difference to me.

That is to say of course you can letterbox the image to get the "widescreen" on a 4:3 TV.

Elios83

wobedraggled said:
Exactly, and my widescreen has a nice little "zoom" feature, anyone saying the ps2 version is usperior because fo this is a goddamn idiot.

And of course you have never noticed that zooming an image on a TV produces a consistent degradation of the image quality.

By the way,I still wonder if true widescreen means that the game will have a real panoramic view in the letterbox format or if letterbox will be gone.

john tv

vfcg-wide.jpg

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Elios83 said:
And of course you have never noticed that zooming an image on a TV produces a consistent degradation of the image quality.

That might still look better than the PS2 version :lol

Yusaku

Hahaha, excellent. I got busy and just ended up selling RE4 for GC before I got into it. Now I can actually play it properly on my HDTV.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
EGM92 said:
Sweet WIDESCREEN! Justifies me not getting the GC version even more! :D
There is no justification for willingly waiting out on playing one of the greatest games of all time when you have the access to it. :p

ge-man

It's not surprising considering the PS2's fillrate. On the other hand, I'm not sure if widescreen is a good trade for the (as of now) lackluster lighting and seemingly lower poly count.

Jagernaut

GaimeGuy said:
There is no justification for willingly waiting out on playing one of the greatest games of all time when you have the access to it. :p

RE4 wasn't even one of the best games of the year, it was a disappointment to me. I would advise PS2 only gamers to rent, not buy.

Top Bottom