• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

BokehKing

Banned
People are not hating on this game more than any other game. But because it's an exclusive, you have all these defenders that only defends it because it's an exclusive. It's like they have received a mission order from Sony to defend the title like their lives depended on it.

There are some legitimately concerns regarding the title.

Knack and Killzone Shadowfall are not fantastic games. Hell both are pretty mediocre. Even Second Son and DriveClub are not fantastic games. They're definitely great games though.
What are the legitimate concerns besides the 8 to 10 hour length of the game?

Cut scenes? Qte? That's subjective and not a turn off imo

Ive never seen anything like it

The gaming media have from day one had issues with this game. I cant think of other similar examples.

Usually they wait for it to release and give benefit of the doubt

Ryse was immediately criticized by press and gamer alike.
Does it now, really. There are two different play throughs out there that fall between 5 and 6 hours, presumably one was produced by Microsoft and the other Nintendo?

Actually those runs were done by some PC dick riders who were emulating PS4s on their 15,000 USD PCs, which they only normally use word processing.

vesvci

Banned
Knack and Killzone Shadowfall are not fantastic games. Hell both are pretty mediocre. Even Second Son and DriveClub are not fantastic games. They're definitely great games though.

You're right. I forgot about these two. These two games do not exist in my gaming universe....so almost all.

kpaadet

Man if only half of the ones concerned were thinking of buying the game we might have a CoD seller on our hands, too bad RAD fucked it up.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Honest question... Do people sit around with like a stopwatch or something to time themselves playing games? It seems like, for a lot of people, the only report on the game length worth trusting is that one YouTube play through. GAF members who have been verified to have the game, and are reporting ~twice the length, are either lying or they're mistaken.

I doubt they're lying to fluff up the game as their impressions, while slightly on the positive side, have certainly not been universally glowing. Despite their complaints, they unequivocally claim that ~6 hours is very short compared to their experience.

So... Do you think they're just mistaken? Like they feel like they got 10 hours out of the game but it was actually ~6?

Frillen

What a skewed up point of view.

Unfortunately it's not very skewed. It's how fanboys operates. And they're all the same, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft fanboys. Ask yourself this question:

Would there be so much discussion regarding The Order 1886 if it was multiplatform?

Go on then, show us all these reports.

I'm especially interested in the ones about the final game.

I'm pretty sure the reviewers will pile on this, just wait a few days ;)

Imho, the premises for this game were bad from the very first showing. The few things I saw on Youtube, like endless cutscenes and one TERRIBLE turret section, just confirmed it's another Ryse with slightly more interesting setting.

You sure it's their first time playing? I mean, it is a youtube person looking for subs

They die frequently, fail a bunch of QTEs and don't seem to know the controls in the first few videos, so I'd say it's a first time playthrough.

People have watched 5 hours straight of the video? 5 hours straight?

I wish I could verify it myself, but now way in hell am I going to waste 5 hours my life doing that. As it may be the case, it would be ridiculous to take that video as absolute truth. For all we know it could be edited. As others have said, people here are saying 10+ hours.

I assume people just added up the length of all the individual videos. I guess the guy could be trying to pass off a truncated playthrough as the full thing, but I don't know why you'd automatically assume foul play. It's just a guy on Youtube playing a game.

Serenity

I think games length is important to people who have a lot of time to play everyday. I get about a 30min to an hour window to play games each day so I guess all games seem long to me because they take me a week or two to complete. I guess I don't judge the value of a game till I play it. If I enjoy the game it was worth it if I didn't it wasn't. Simple.

Unfortunately it's not very skewed. It's how fanboys operates. And they're all the same, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft fanboys. Ask yourself this question:

Would there be so much discussion regarding The Order 1886 if it was multiplatform?

Some people would be much more critical and some much less.

Mr Ed

Banned

Tell that to my 7 year old son and all his friends who played the shit out of Knack. Loved every minute of it. Some games are not for everyone, and that will probably be the same for The Order too.

GHG

Gold Member

Imho, the premises for this game were bad from the very first showing. The few things I saw on Youtube, like endless cutscenes and one TERRIBLE turret section, just confirmed it's another Ryse with slightly more interesting setting.

So "all reports" are just your opinions from watching the game being played on YouTube?

Thanks for clearing that up.

xkramz

Ironically its being dropped on a Friday which is uncommon for AAA video games. Fridays are usually for blockbuster movies releases lol

-MD-

Honest question... Do people sit around with like a stopwatch or something to time themselves playing games? It seems like, for a lot of people, the only report on the game length worth trusting is that one YouTube play through. GAF members who have been verified to have the game, and are reporting ~twice the length, are either lying or they're mistaken.

I doubt they're lying to fluff up the game as their impressions, while slightly on the positive side, have certainly not been universally glowing. Despite their complaints, they unequivocally claim that ~6 hours is very short compared to their experience.

So... Do you think they're just mistaken? Like they feel like they got 10 hours out of the game but it was actually ~6?

Genuinely curious about this myself. The only actual proof we seem to have are the 2 youtube videos, I'm not familiar with the new one but the first one was 5 1/2 hours.

I've seen people throw their hands up throughout the day wondering why we're not trusting gaffer's opinions on the 10-12 hour quotes but being a fellow member on a message board shouldn't automatically earn someone's trust. Some proof would be pretty sweet to support the 12 hour stuff.

erawsd

Your last sentence there " Its our responsibility as the consumer to let them know when we dont like something". According to that we don't like cinematic games, 5 hour single player campaigns, cutscenes, black bars, quick time events or standard tps gameplay mechanics. If any devs paid attention to any gaming forums they would not have a game to make because we pretty much hate everything. Devs should stay out of these places and make the games they want to make.

I didn't say that developers must accept every cristicsm and apply it to their game -- that is their privilage, they get to choose what to regard or disregard. If they wanted to make a 1hr game and charge $500 then they are free to do it. Of course, they are not going to do that because they want to sell a product, which is also why they value feedback.

w0s

Not sure how this game compares to ryse other than both have qte elements.

vesvci

Banned
Does it now, really. There are two different play throughs out there that fall between 5 and 6 hours, presumably one was produced by Microsoft and the other Nintendo?

Nintendo? Haha, last thing on my mind. Plus, they don't have a history of doing this. The other one does, however. Presumably.

Frillen

Tell that to my 7 year old son and all his friends who played the shit out of Knack. Loved every minute of it. Some games are not for everyone, and that will probably be the same for The Order too.

Throwing in anecdotal evidences doesn't help. While I think Knack was definitely slightly better than the metacritic it was still a shallow game. The key point I guess, is the metacritic.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ironically its being dropped on a Friday which is uncommon for AAA video games. Fridays are usually for blockbuster movies releases lol

I don't know about you, but Tuesday's were becoming too predictable. It was the start of the work week and you had midnight launches on Monday night. Friday's work if you aren't controlled by the social aspect of it and you can't get past the feeling of buying a game on a Friday night instead of heading out.

Sounds like they were more vocal than Squaresoft was. JK

Books+movies don't cost 60 dollars.

Depends. There are books out there that cost $30+. Go to the theater. Spend $10+ just on one ticket and if you have a significant other and/or kids then that just keeps adding on to the price. Then there's the refreshment costs if you want something. Then you leave the theater empty handed. 3 months later if you liked the movie enough you end up buying it for another $20+.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

If it were a multiplatform game from a developer new to home consoles it would likely get the Wolfenstein, cult-hit treatment. Of course, it's not out yet so that may be a bit of a stretch. Also, it wouldn't have the same production value if it weren't a first-party title but... No.

The game likely would release without so much controversy and the people who were interested would buy it and discuss it. The people who aren't interested would probably go about their business. Kinda like how things usually work in life. Exclusives are like Fergie's lady lumps. They're provocative. They get the people going. Regardless of whether or not they known what it actually means.

Rather disappointing to hear.
Sure, I'd rather play a good 5 hour game than a boring 30 hour game... But it's not like the options of good 10, 15, 30, etc hour games don't exist or something, so that kind of argument doesn't really make sense.
If I've got 60 bucks to spend on a game I would rather choose something like Bloodborne or one of the other upcoming games I'm excited for, than a game I know is only 5 hours and I will likely only play once.
I know for some people it isn't an issue, but when games cost the same price I think it is natural for people to spend their money where they think they will get the most bang.
Oh well, I will probably play it in the future when it comes to plus or is like 15 dollars or something.

While I agree, I am getting both and chances are that I will never see the end of Bloodborne as I generally suck at the Souls games. If I get 6-8 hours from The Order, that to me is fine. I'm playing for the story and if it's a good one that I enjoy, then it's money well spent.

Alej

Banned
Throwing in anecdotal evidences doesn't help. While I think Knack was definitely slightly better than the metacritic it was still a shallow game. The key point I guess, is the metacritic.

The metacritic... Okay.

This is really sad.

Not sure how this game compares to ryse other than both have qte elements.

Ryse is a great game to compare this to, actually. (People are comparing it to NES/SNES games..but those are pure gameplay, they tried comparing it to MGS4..).

Didn't think of the comparison before!

For fuck's sake stop worrying about the length. If its too short for you to spend 60 bucks, wait until the price goes down to where its worth it. Boom! Problem solved.

DCX

DCX
I'm ok with shorter games but I won't pay full price for it. I have a limited budget and if I'm buying a full priced game it has to offer me more than a weekends worth of content.

DCX

Kinyou

Genuinely curious about this myself. The only actual proof we seem to have are the 2 youtube videos, I'm not familiar with the new one but the first one was 5 1/2 hours.

I've seen people throw their hands up throughout the day wondering why we're not trusting gaffer's opinions on the 10-12 hour quotes but being a fellow member on a message board shouldn't automatically earn someone's trust. Some proof would be pretty sweet to support the 12 hour stuff.
It's also weird that RAD themselves aren't saying it's 10-12 hours long. That's a number you could comfortably tell. That they don't reveal it makes me think it's rather on the low end.

Frillen

What are the legitimate concerns besides the 8 to 10 hour length of the game?

Cut scenes? Qte? That's subjective and not a turn off imo

- Short length
- Packed with QTEs
- Hand holding
- Black bars
- Tons of cut scenes

Yeah, these are subjective, but still, legitimately concerns regarding the title. Personally I don't really care for most of them, since right now I just want to play through a linear action game after having played through 4-5 open world games withing the last couple of months.

I just can't buy games at full price if they last as long as one gaming session.....

Its the only reason why after enjoying the hell out of Vanquish's demo, I couldn't buy it.

I like to play games for a long time. I HATE when I'm enjoying a good game and it just ends abruptly.

The other problem is that I will never do a second run through of games, which I guess is why I can't stand the short ones. Once I've completed it, its dead to me..

-
Double yikes. A hint of denial, perhaps.

Did they miss the Destiny Massacre? Where after it was released, every thread that was made related to Destiny there was a pile on?

Definitely not PS4 exclusive only games that are getting hate. I think this generation is the one where gamers get tired of all the BS that AAA developers try to shove down our throats.

I've seen people throw their hands up throughout the day wondering why we're not trusting gaffer's opinions on the 10-12 hour quotes but being a fellow member on a message board doesn't automatically earn my trust.

Some proof would be pretty sweet to support the 12 hour stuff.

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of the extremes. The yt run, while not exactly speed running, did no exploration. One of the GAF posters, who finished in roughly 9 hours, found 99% of the secret content. Now that's a small sample size, but they represent the opposite ends of the curious player spectrum. Most people would logically fall into the 7-8 hour window if that was the case. Which is not alarmingly short for a SP game, it's standard.

Personally, based on the spoiler videos I've seen, I'd be more concerned with the QTEs and enemy encounter variety than the raw length, it's not exactly RE4 or Gears in either field.

Kinyou

I just can't buy games at full price if they last as long as one gaming session.....

Its the only reason why after enjoying the hell out of Vanquish's demo, I couldn't buy it.

I like to play games for a long time. I HATE when I'm enjoying a good game and it just ends abruptly.

The other problem is that I will never do a second run through of games, which I guess is why I can't stand the short ones. Once I've completed it, its dead to me..
That's one of the most important parts. If you finish the game and feel like you got a complete experience or if it leaves with "but I just started this" feeling. I guess the reviews will tell.

gaming_noob

For fuck's sake stop worrying about the length. If its too short for you to spend 60 bucks, wait until the price goes down to where its worth it. Boom! Problem solved.

Yep. Or buy it used. The game has no multiplayer so it's not going to be too hard to find a couple of used copies a week or two after launch.

FeiRR

Banned
In Europe it is normal. Which would make sense as it's a worldwide release.

Depends. There are books out there that cost $30+. Go to the theater. Spend $10+ just on one ticket and if you have a significant other and/or kids then that just keeps adding on to the price. Then there's the refreshment costs if you want something. Then you leave the theater empty handed. 3 months later if you liked the movie enough you end up buying it for another $20+.
Most concerts I bought tickets for were about $40-$60 if the band is really popular. Concerts last 60-120 minutes most of the time. I usually have to add travelling costs too, which doubles the price. Games aren't a very expensive hobby anyway.

vesvci

Banned
I assume people just added up the length of all the individual videos. I guess the guy could be trying to pass off a truncated playthrough as the full thing, but I don't know why you'd automatically assume foul play. It's just a guy on Youtube playing a game.

Not necessarily foul play. I still question, the legitimacy of some guy with a 5 hour video, that cannot be fully vetted. The only way that this video can be vetted, it's if someone, who actually has played the game (verified), can watch this 5 hour video to verify its legitimacy? Until then...it's open for speculation until the game comes out.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What's worse the early copies or the length? You can easily pick it up, but SD is becoming pointless. It's just a random chance you get it early anymore and that's that.

-MD-

Could you summarize without spoilers please?

Here dude. Spoiler-free impressions from Rapier in the spoiler thread. I edited a few spoilers out so hopefully nobody complains.

There is no character development whatsoever.

It's like one very talented team came up with the art direction and concept, and then a group of high schoolers wrote an empty, flat ass, substanceless suspense.

That's not even the half of it. Flat characters, flat characters everywhere. The story in this game is like walking in halfway through the second Hobbit movie.

The game is brimming with brilliance but it's like the story was commissioned or something.

It's puzzling. I've been super torn about it.

I think we should focus on finding out what happened during the development of the game.

Did they run out of time? Where there massive rewrites? Maybe they had this huge vision that ended up getting hugely compromised. Really good dialogue that sadly falls flat.

Edit: And also the acting and direction are top fucking notch, so it makes absolutely zero sense. I'm so torn I'm getting whiplash. Lol

Top Bottom