• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

BokehKing

Banned
That could very well be the case yet it's hard to ignore that the main content in CoD games is the multiplayer and it can't be ignored when we look at the price.
Is it though?
Then how come every COD game focuses on the single player campaign when a new one is first released. Every news article and first time reveal revolves around the campaign. The mp is never really talked about until the end. (some would argue it's the same thing everytime)

Just like the ratio of Xbox 360 owners to Xbox live gold owners..same could be applied to the COD MP.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you care if shops sell it early? Street dates are such bullshit. Artificially delaying release for chart positions and maximum hype.
Release dates acutally have a higher purpose than chart positions and "maximum hype". It's about logistics and relations to retailers.

Sendou

Is it though?
Then how come every COD game focuses on the single player campaign when a new one is first released. Every news article and first time reveal revolves around the campaign. The mp is never really talked about until the end.

Just like the ratio of Xbox 360 owners to Xbox live gold owners..same could be applied to the COD MP.

I mean all that doesn't matter. It's still content in the game period. I might buy a game just to look at the models but I can't argue that's all I'm getting for whatever price the game is selling at. Ignoring content is not the same as that content not being there in the first place.

I wonder if people were worried about the next Marios length back in the day.

People really need to stop comparing video games now to back then, especially considering so many of us playing these games aren't little kids(rated M, for Mature!), at the whims of their parents good graces. Also, I put dozens and dozens of hours into Mario 3/Super Mario World/Mario 64. Also, everybody was renting the shit out of games.

Lol he has a point. Do you pre-judge movies or books before you have watched or read them? Is it fair to do the same with games?

How often do you hear that the latest Summer blockbuster movie is only forty minutes long, though? Or the NY Times bestseller is less than a hundred pages? Games aren't movies or books.

UrbanRats

Length is relatively pointless, when you consider games like Ico, Journey, Vanquish and so on.
And especially if you consider bloated games like Assassin's Creed.

The point to look at is: How is that game priced? What is that time frame giving you? How many times can you replay that, finding new and new stuff about it to explore?

I guess since The Order seems to be a (full priced) pretty rigid and linear game, with a very basic and standard game design, those 5 hours or whatever, hit harder than they would on a better game, but i don't think stretching it to 10 or 15 hours, would solve much in that sense.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Jesus Christ this place is tedious. Most people have spent more time arguing about this game's length than they ever possibly could have spent playing the game. Granted, most of the people arguing never intended to spend more than 0 hours playing the game...

I guess $0 for 48 hours worth of video game arguments is a great value to someone who enjoys that particular "genre".

How often do you hear that the latest Summer blockbuster movie is only forty minutes long, though? Or the NY Times bestseller is less than a hundred pages? Games aren't movies or books.

Shit, there's lots of movies out there I think should've been shorter, tightened up. Why are the Transformer movies so damn long?

I know developers wanna be all cinematic and shit, but can we stop comparing games to movies? It doesn't really work.

Skele7on

Banned
Why do you care if shops sell it early? Street dates are such bullshit. Artificially delaying release for chart positions and maximum hype.

Well no as you can see giving it to a few select people creates situations like this...

Like it's not fair on the developer that worked so hard on a game just to have a handful of people say negatives about certain aspects and then potentially screwing up a launch and possibilities of a sequel.

BokehKing

Banned
Lol he has a point. Do you pre-judge movies or books before you have watched or read them? Is it fair to do the same with games?
Well people do judge a book by their cover... In some extreme cases people don't read books just because it has a female author.

And if the book is flimsy, I might just read it right there in the store. (like single issue comic size)

If people don't want to buy the game they don't have to, but imo, they shouldn't shit on the people who want to support the dev's, the game, and the potential for an on going series of games, which who knows, may have some tacked on MP in the sequel with the option for Day 1 dlc trench coats and mustaches that are MP exclusive

King_Moc

Banned
Well no as you can see giving it to a few select people creates situations like this...

Like it's not fair on the developer that worked so hard on a game just to have a handful of people say negatives about certain aspects and then potentially screwing up a launch and possibilities of a sequel.

So getting impressions of games before launch is a bad thing?

So, people having information about something expensive is a bad thing? You best believe developers are loving it when it's getting them nothing but positive buzz though.

jfoul

If it's a good game, I don't care about it's length. I'll wait for the price to drop over the coming months, but I do that with all games mostly.

FeiRR

Banned
The whole comparison is pretty flawed anyway. But atleast for movies they don't last 6+ hours (short games). So of course they aren't as expensive.

More people pay to see a film than to play a game while both now cost comperatively similar money. This is the reason why movies are cheaper, not their length.

ICPEE

Length does not determine the quality of a movie or book. There are some hollywood blockbusters that could do with a shorter run time. Anyway my comment was not on length of a medium but pre-judging something before experiencing it for yourself.

Kaze2212

More people pay to see a film than to play a game while both now cost comperatively similar money. This is the reason why movies are cheaper, not their length.

You are right. From all this talk about game length my mind was too focused on that. Of course the prices are related to the production costs. I feel kinda dumb now. ._.

Tsukumo

Answering with PR talk was the worst move they could have made. They really have no idea how to sell their product.

BokehKing

Banned
People really need to stop comparing video games now to back then, especially considering so many of us playing these games aren't little kids(rated M, for Mature!), at the whims of their parents good graces. Also, I put dozens and dozens of hours into Mario 3/Super Mario World/Mario 64. Also, everybody was renting the shit out of games.
Yeah, and a lot of those games were beat in 5 days, in between school and home work. There were also games I beat in one day, because I had to because the games didn't have save features.

We need to compare games to back then because the business models the industry is pushing games in now (evolve for example) is not the way to go. It preys on the consumer.

We do not - need- mp in everything.

I'm sure they could have tacked on a co-op hord mode, but I rather have nothing than that tacked on feel. If it feels tacked on then I would be mad that resources that could have went to the campaign were wasted.

Answering with PR talk was the worst move they could have made. They really have no idea how to sell their product.
Casuals are not reading that article

spekkeh

Banned
Good, I hate it when games pad shit out to come to some arbitrary length constraint to satisfy no-lifers that only play games to escape the real world. Quality > quantity.

come at me.

Jesus Christ this place is tedious. Most people have spent more time arguing about this game's length than they ever possibly could have spent playing the game. Granted, most of the people arguing never intended to spend more than 0 hours playing the game...

I guess $0 for 48 hours worth of video game arguments is a great value to someone who enjoys that particular "genre".

Bingo

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If its a good game with lots of gameplay opportunities, no worries. Revengeance was a relatively short game but I've wringed more worth out of that than any game before it.

If its a cinematic experience that is one and done, then whoops!

But it's not exactly a huge shock that people would be upset that the game is this short. I mean, these are the exact same arguments people were having about Heavenly Sword, another six hour, $60, singleplayer-only game, eight years ago. It's not like the developers didn't know how long the game they were making was. This response has to be something they would have expected for months now. Honestly it's probably why they've never addressed the topic of the game's length before now.

Same thing with QTEs and a heavy emphasis on cinematic-ness, really. You can't work in this industry and stay blissfully unaware that lots of people don't like that sort of thing. People aren't making up stories to sabotage the game; this is what the game is.

I bet this game lasts at least 8 hours if you are not skipping all the cutscenes and sprinting to the finish line without enjoying the game itself..

anddo0

Remember Portal's length?

:]

On the first playthrough blind?

Due to the puzzle nature of the game. I'm pretty sure my playtime was double or triple the average.

It's not a fair comparison, puzzle games tend to take longer the first time through.. Puzzle games also leave room for experimentation. The Order looks as linear as it gets.

Do I remember Portal's length? No
Do I remember Portal? Yes, because it was a memorable/stand out experience.

I'm not saying The Order won't be memorable, the jury is still out.

If its a good game with lots of gameplay opportunities, no worries. Revengeance was a relatively short game but I've wringed more worth out of that than any game before it.

If its a cinematic experience that is one and done, then whoops!

Short game, but it's structure was built for replayability. I must have beaten that game like 6 times. It was action packed, and had a rewarding upgrade system. The Order, on the surface, looks like it's one and done.

The price/content is alright if there is enough quality to back it up.
I don't think comparing it to Platinum action games or metal gear games work since those are of high quality with a lot of replayability.
Games like Portal and Captain toad don't work as a comparison since those aren't full priced games.
We'd need to wait for reviews and for the game to come out to decide if the Order meets those requirements.

w0s

Bought at a discount and will sell after I beat it. Should be well worth the probable 15 dollars to Play through.

big_z

I bet this game lasts at least 8 hours if you are not skipping all the cutscenes and sprinting to the finish line without enjoying the game itself..

I find that youtubers play slower than your average gamer since theyre trying to talk and play. I have a feeling youll be standing place spinning that camera a lot to get that 8 hour mark.

It's weird how people are just going with the 5 hour play through as universal truth in here. Given that there are numbers from fellow gaffers of 10+, wouldn't it be a subjective thing given on how you play games? Seems like some people in here have no interest in the game and are just here for some reason?

Grady

You cant skip cutscenes. I do agree though, the average person will spend 10 hrs at least on it. Playing evil within right now which can be beat in under 5 hours. I am currently on chapter 11 with 11 hrs logged into the game. Now that i know what to do i could easily cut that time in half. The ones beating the order in 6 hrs have probably already played through it.

Top Bottom