• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn working on new IP for home console [Update: It's For PS3]

Takao

Banned
Eh, I feel it's pretty late in the game to launch a new IP on the home consoles unless they have the backing of a huge publisher (which would be interesting considering they couldn't get a publisher before - If it's Namco Bandai they're dead). Not to sound anymore fanboyish than I already do, I think it may be in their best interest to have worked on an NGP project. I have a feeling people will devour quality original content on there, and a new IP from a proven studio would do that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No idea if that's their publisher for this, but they deserve for SCE to give them a shot with a new IP on PS3.They made them the most amazing PSP game when noone in the west wants to bother anymore.

Why For?

Banned
If these guys are good enough to produce the magic that is God of War PSP, then I'd LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to see what they can do with PS360.

Kafel said:
My bet is on the Wii.

They recently said that that's not something they think it's worth doing sadly (can't blame them can you?).

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
I´ve heard something about Ready at Dawn and Nintendo, but thats all.

Ooookay? I have major doubts, and besides, when was the last time Nintendo published a new IP (at least on a home console) from a western 3rd party developer? Geist?

CamHostage

exwallst said:
Wouldn't you go cross platform if you were them? Or else extort one of the 1st parties for a lot of cash.

Well, they've tried to turn themselves into a middleware developer as well as a game design house, licensing out their RAD tools to developers. I've not seen any bites on that, though, and they had some layoffs a little while back. But as far as going cross-platform, they're more a studio that just needs support through a single project from a good, strong publisher; whether that be a multiplatform project or an exclusive, they just need to be given time and kept away from that cycle of workhorse multi-project development that I don't seeing being their strength.

S.W.

Shiloa said:
Because if owned by Sony, I'd feel that they would actually have better opportunities. Not only to make their games better, but to actually get their games published.
Being a first party dev is extremely restraining, each communication needs to go through twelve layers of producers. So there's nothing wrong with aiming for a better opportunity. :/

Salsa

I know im late to this but..

theBishop said:
What's the point of doing a new IP? Ready At Dawn already makes God of War. Why can't they just take the ideas they want to do in this new IP and make it a God of War game?

Jesus fucking christ, what the flying fuck oh my god this is the worst post on the gaming side

Best of luck to Readyatdawn, loved Daxter and the GOWs

Awesome, they've already proven their competence handling other companies IPs, I can't wait to see what they'll do left to their own devices. I'm also just eager for genuine action adventure games that don't fit the standard first/third person shooter template that's been driven into the ground this generation. I'll be keeping an eye out for any new developments.

Huff

Banned
I am surprised that they have had such a hard time finding a publisher. They put out multiple good/great games for the PSP, so I wonder why Sony wouldn't want to publisher a console game of theirs. Give these guys a crack at it.

Unless RAD didn't want them to and hoped another would publisher picked them up. Can't say I'd want either EA or Activision to get their hands on them though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
New IP for PS3, win win. Glad they weren't picked up for dirty work on an existing IP.

Gotta give Sony props for putting out a steady lineup of not just solid franchises but new IP's.

LiquidMetal14 said:
New IP for PS3, win win. Glad they weren't picked up for dirty work on an existing IP.

Gotta give Sony props for putting out a steady lineup of not just solid franchises but new IP's.
I think it's too early to assume Sony is publishing the game.

Initially Ready at Dawn said they were working on PS3 and 360:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/05/ready-at-dawns-next-game-is-an-xbox-360-ps3-original-title/

360 could have simply been left out of that job listing, though it wouldn't be a surprise if Sony inked another deal with the studio.

makingmusic476 said:
I think it's too early to assume Sony is publishing the game.

Initially Ready at Dawn said they were working on PS3 and 360:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/05/ready-at-dawns-next-game-is-an-xbox-360-ps3-original-title/

360 could have simply been left out of that job listing, though it wouldn't be a surprise if Sony inked another deal with the studio.

Wasn't that game canned (or put on hold) because they couldn't find anyone to pick it up? That's why they went back to working on another PSP GoW.

Corto

Just hope that Sony doesn't barge in and make them create another God of War for the Vita. I want to see what they can do on an IP of their own in a home console.

Corto said:
Just hope that Sony doesn't barge in and make them create another God of War for the Vita. I want to see what they can do on an IP of their own in a home console.

They're independent, no one is going to MAKE them do anything.

That said, with how stellar their work was on portables and their competent work on Okami Wii, I think now is the time for them to branch out and finally release an IP of their own.

Wouldn't be shocked if sony is the pub.

If they made god of war 4 and SSM made a new ip that would probably the best for everyone.

RAD get a guaranteed 2 million + seller and Sony santa Monica can strut there stuff making a new ip.

Corto

ConradCervantes said:
They're independent, no one is going to MAKE them do anything.

That said, with how stellar their work was on portables and their competent work on Okami Wii, I think now is the time for them to branch out and finally release an IP of their own.

Poor wording on my part. I meant paying them a sufficient amount of money to make them accept. It would be excellent for them as a company, but as you, I want to see their original work.

V_Ben

Banned
SCE seems to be in the mood for new IP with their studios, so I wouldn't be surprised it they're publishing it. I just want to see an original RAD game :)

Raonak

Banned
Oh. Single console? Looks like sony's publishing.

Im suprised they couldn't find a publisher for their first home console project, (the one that got scrapped) Dax and chains were great.

didn't realise they did GOW:collection vol2 themselves.

dr_rus

Wikipedia said:
Ready at Dawn Studios LLC is a video game developer located in Irvine, California and is composed of some former members of Naughty Dog and Blizzard Entertainment.
Uncharted in space. Do it.

StuBurns

Banned
If their PSP efforts have convinced Sony to step up and give them the cash they deserve for their own title, I'm very pleased, it was the gentlemanly thing to do. RAD are top tier, and they have my money day one.

CamHostage

Nirolak said:
Have they managed to find a publisher yet?
I was under the distinct impression that they hadn't, which is the reason they went back and kept making more PSP games and then had layoffs last year.

Obviously they've struggled and have had to fall back on past successes (with great results, I might add,) but I think that layoff in part was also because of a failed attempt to become a middleware provider.

Globox_82

Banned
If it turns out to be Sony published game, then it is my most looking forward announcement by far. Mostly because it's 3rd person action adventure. My favorite.

It says "the console". And it lists PS3. Maybe Sony decided to publish their game, and help them in development. I really hope so.

But let's not forget "Adrift". that one was also "Sony published PS3 project" but then out of no where turned out to be multi.

Regardless how this one turns out - Sony published or not. Sony seems to have many new PS3 IPs in the work.

SuperBot
SSMonica
GG
Quantic Dream (rumor of 2 projects)
Zipper (that ridiculous RPG leak/rumor)

less certain
Media Molecule (could be for Vita but they confirmed to be working on new IP)

Already announced
Idol Minds - Ruin, Starhawk ?

Third party exclusive

lol ready at dawn, enjoy your bomba.

On the other hand, what publishers are able/willing to make a new IP a success on ps3/360 in 2011?

First Parties
Take Two, but only with Rockstar's stuff
...Square Enix?

I think going first party would give them a better chance at success than sending the game to die with Namco or somebody at the helm, and bigger companies like Ubisoft and Activision aren't really bothering with new IPs, let alone externally developed new IPs.

Top Bottom