• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Until Dawn: Will this game repeat RAD's The Order:1886 mistakes???

Totally different games... Different developers..... And we all know what to expect with Until Dawn...Although I knew what to expect with The Order and I loved it...

Until Dawn knows exactly what it wants to be. The last thing I'm worried about is a potential "media firestorm." I can't tell you the last time they've convinced me to buy/not buy a game. I'm super looking forward to this game, because it's JUST like those super bad horror movies that I hold so near and dear to my heart.

Then again, I didn't have any huge issues with the Order. I enjoyed it, though it could have been better, like all games. Reminds me of my Destiny feelings. Destiny 2 is going to knock it out of the park... and I think The Order's sequel (if it sells well enough) would also.

All told, bring on Until Dawn. My fiancee and I can't wait to play through that game a bunch of times.

Nesther

As long as it's priced similarly to the Telltale games, I'm sure it'll do fine. There's a place for stuff like that and people enjoy these experiences.

DSix

Banned
OP acts like there was no legitimate reason for which the Order was panned, and tries to make a false equivalence with another different game to make a fallacious point.

This thread is nothing but the defense force trying to bend the narrative to stupid places. Stop it. Deal with it. Move the fuck on.

I think The Order will become one of the best trilogy generation in his day with Uncharted.

And I also think it has been one of the games most criticized unfairly in the last years

It'll be fine, but I foresee lots of negative reviews maybe not as much as The Order, but I can safely predict something in the 7's, pretty sure many reviewers wont take B-Movie dialogue and situations as an excuse.

Until Dawn will be doing just fine. Even if the game doesn't score well, it will definitely receive better reviewers than The Order for becoming what it is supposed to be since the reveal.

I enjoyed The Order and I'm looking forward to this game. I suspect both will be fine. Not every game has to appeal to everyone.

As long as it's priced similarly to the Telltale games, I'm sure it'll do fine. There's a place for stuff like that and people enjoy these experiences.

The problem is, it realty doesn't look anything like those games.

Much more in the vein of Heavy Rain. Not necessarily a bad thing, but David Cage's game construction style usually has a tepid reception to put it mildly.

Harlequin

Until Dawn seems to be more like Heavy Rain than The Order and Heavy Rain may be a cinematic game but it's a cinematic game that has a cohesive design philosophy. I think the problem with the cinematic design of The Order or Uncharted is that the shooting segments and the cinematic/QTE segments almost feel like they're from two different games. Also the fact that the levels and the stories are linear, whereas at least Until Dawn's story will, like Heavy Rain's, be branched (not sure about the environments).

Shredderi

The Order knew that, too. But the vision the devs had was just not a fun one.

Yet people had a lot more questions about The Order and what it was going to be before the game released. The vision behind Until Dawn seems to be much clearer to people which leads to less misplaced expectations I think. The Order knew what it wanted to be but maybe they could have done a better job of communicating that early on to people.

GeoramA

The Gamescom demo and PSX showing were met with mostly praise.

Until Dawn has always had a lot of positivity surrounding it. One big reason why: It doesn't take itself too seriously.

Much more in the vein of Heavy Rain. Not necessarily a bad thing, but David Cage's game construction style usually has a tepid reception to put it mildly.

Check your facts before shitting on Heavy Rain. It has an 87 on Metacritic and has sold over 3 million copies. Critical and commercial success regardless of what some Gaf snobs think.

Beyond was a disappointment, but it wasn't nearly as good as Heavy Rain for numerous reasons.

Until Dawn will do well of it is a good game. It looks fun.

Palocca

Until Dawn will be fine. There's a clear picture of what type of game it's going to be. It's selling itself as an interactive B-level slasher flick. And I think the crowd at PSX appreciated the candidness of their presentation (as did I).

The Gamescom demo and PSX showing were met with mostly praise.

Until Dawn has always had a lot of positivity surrounding it. One big reason why: It doesn't take itself too seriously.

Hands on impressions and the demo give off good vibes. I think it will be a sleeper hit. Not sure I will pay $60 for it, but it's definitely a game I'm interested in.

So... Heavy Rain is a shit game now? Wat?

Also, OP should read this here.
I'm all for a $5 word here and there, but only if it adds to the sentence. Simple words are best when simple words will get your point across more clearly.

Shozuki

Honestly, the Eurogamer Expo demo was superb. Really enjoyed it.

The game had a clear direction and narrative without feeling like it was taking gameplay from the player.

I'm quite looking forward to it, it's better Heavy Rain from my early impressions...

ugh here we go again.

different developers, different games, different genres.

even then, a lot of people who played the order liked it and wasn't like it was so terrible a game.

games should be inclusive of everything. i don't want my games to be funneled down to what "other gamers" think games should be.

this exclusionary behaviour of "oh i don't want this type of game therefore no one should ever experience it!" is seriously pathetic and ignorant. if you don't want that type of game, don't play it. there are a ton of games out there that cater to your tastes. don't go around whining how a type of game you hate gets to be made.

bombshell

Resisting urge to quote your tag...

Heavy Rain was very well received. Get your facts straight.

pswii60

I'm surprised at the amount of faith in this thread regarding Until Dawn compared to Supermassive Games previous abysmal output. Anything anywhere near the level of The Order would surely be a huge success on their level.

Gbraga

I'm surprised at the amount of faith in this thread regarding Until Dawn compared to Supermassive Games previous abysmal output. Anything anywhere near the level of The Order would surely be a huge success on their level.

Why did you make me google them, I was so excited >_>

So... Heavy Rain is a shit game now? Wat?

A lot of people think so. I love it, but it's not rare at all to find people who despise it.

And it's actually a lot of fun to watch people who dislike Cage's games play through them.

Sayers

Until Dawn isn't pretending to be anything more than it is. Also, it is unlikely to get a massive marketing campaign.

Muzy72

Banned
Until Dawn looks like straight up trash to me when I saw it during the PSX keynote. Don't understand why anyone would want to play it. :S

Fbh

I don't know why so many people asume that The Order is the best game of all time and the only reason it got average reviews is because it was cinematic.
That had nothing to do with it, The Order got average reviews because most reviewers found it to be an average game.

Until Dawn is aiming for the interactive "choose your own path" Quantic Dream type of experience which is a completely different type of game. The reception it gets will depend on how fun it is to play, how your choices affect the story, how much replay value there is, how good and inventive the scenes and situations will be, etc. The reception won't depend on it being cinematic or not.

Personally I think it looks really fun, and the fact it's aiming for a slasher movie vibe makes me think it might actually be more enjoyable than any Quantic Dream game. It seems to have all the good elements of Heavy Rain (your choices shape the story, multiple endings, characters that can die, etc) but without David Cage trying to convince you how "good" and "deep" his writing is

16BitNova

I know what I'm getting when I'm purchasing this game. I see what the developers are aiming for, so unless the story sucks I won't be disappointed. Just how I wasn't disappointed with The Order. I knew what kind of game I was buying and I loved it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Bethesda better make quick with the open world exploration. I'm not saying TO1886 was a flop. I'm just wanting to have freedom over where I go. It could be an excellent game and I'd like it to do well, but what have we seen besides a few glimpses here and there? I like the tone of the game. I backed Last Year 5 versus 1 on KS. I'd just like some improvements. A lot of us aren't amateurs to this genre. It can't always be this mystery game with an attempt to swallow up the entire generation based on a handful of design techniques. I want those design techniques expanded upon and opened up.

I want them to make an attempt to do something more besides a scene. A scene is in everything, but what can you do that gears you for that scene? Expand on it a little bit better. Make someone other than your animation team and mo-cap do some work. Get your level designer in there and go to town. Get the idea of AC out of your heads and do something better.

TomShoe

Banned
They may be different games, but human perception doesn't work that way.

I can already tell the comparisons to The Order will be non-stop, and the terms "cinematic" and "no gameplay" will be repeated ad nauseum. Because people are treating it like a dirty word nowadays.

Disgusting.

Bowl0l

If i were to pre order this game in PSN, will Sony allow me to upgrade if Sony were to release another preorder with bonus which has the same price?

Ashtrax

My wife got to play a demo at The PlayStation booth at EB Expo last year and she had a lot of fun with it. Having watched her playthrough, the game knows exactly what it wants to be from first impressions, and is fun to boot. It's at the top of my highly anticipated list!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I still don't understand what the OP was talking about in comparing the two games...1886 rightly got wrecked

virtualS

The Order added interactivity to cutscenes on top of providing fine TPS mechanics and everyone cries foul.

The interesting thing is this: had the game offered less cutscenes, zero button prompts, padded the levels out more and a 16:9 aspect ratio... there would be no 'problem'.

The Order added interactivity to cutscenes on top of providing fine TPS mechanics and everyone cries foul.

The interesting thing is this: had the game offered less cutscenes, zero button prompts, padded the levels out more and a 16:9 aspect ratio... there would be no 'problem'.
i'm sure people would have still dogged on the story, which by all accounts is doodoo.

softie

If i were to pre order this game in PSN, will Sony allow me to upgrade if Sony were to release another preorder with bonus which has the same price?
Just cancel your preorder in your account settings and preorder the other version.

In essence, more consistency to your theme is more advisable. Wanna make an interactive cutscene over the course of the whole game? Play Heavy Ran / Beyond: Two Souls. Want a TPS? make Gears. Trying to juxtapose two conflicting mechanics takes the experience away from the player.

They may be different games, but human perception doesn't work that way.

I can already tell the comparisons to The Order will be non-stop, and the terms "cinematic" and "no gameplay" will be repeated ad nauseum. Because people are treating it like a dirty word nowadays.

Disgusting.

There has been good counter-arguments to support those "dirty" terms. But don't try to slide TO:1886 as one of those examples just because other games did it right.

onQ123

• Tumble
  • Start the Party!
  • Start the Party! Save the World

Fun games with good controls. what's the problem?

UrbanRats

No because Until Dawn has choices unlike The Order.

This is the central point.
Until Dawn wants to be an interactive horror movie, and finds ways to value interactivity within that framework.

The Order wanted to be a cinematic shooter, but didn't really foud any way to make that compelling, from a boring story, to trite gameplay, to a very rigid narrative.

Unless I'm mistaken, Until Dawn will be like Heavy Rain not like The Order 1886. People were upset with The Order because it was a third person shooter that didn't have enough shooting - I don't see how that is comparable.

Granted, Until Dawn needs to be correctly marketed to avoid misleading people. If it is a Heavy Rain type of game (which it looks like it is) then don't make the game out to be a Survival/Horror game or an Action/Adventure game.

I feel like Until Dawn could be a really neat game, but I also get the feeling it will only appeal to me for $30 or less.

Top Bottom