• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real Time Strategy recommendations

Sybrix

Love Total War games, Age of Empires, COH, C&C, They Are Billions etc, what/where are the others?

Anyone got any other great RTS games to recommend?

Hudo

Off the top of my head, Id' recommend looking into these:

• Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
  • Age of Mythology: Extended Edition (A Remake is in the works, called: Age of Mythology: Retold)
  • Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition (try it first somehow before you buy, if you can. It's quite different from how Age 2 plays)
  • Age of Empires IV
  • Homeworld Remastered Collection
  • Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
  • Homeworld 3 (To be released in 2024, fingers crossed)
  • Total Annihilation
  • Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
  • WarCraft III (NOT Reforged)
  • StarCraft Remastered
  • StarCraft II
  • Command & Conquer Remastered Collection
  • Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
  • Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
  • Command & Conquer: Generals
  • Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
  • Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
  • The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth
  • The Lord of the RIngs: Battle for Middle-Earth II
  • Battle Realms: Zen Edition
  • Star Wars: Empire At War (although I am not a huge fan, it has a very dedicated community and mods galore... like almost all of the RTS games I have mentioned so far)
  • Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War
  • Company of Heroes (2 and 3 are garbage)
  • Rise of Nations: Extended Edition
  • Rise of Legends (I personally don't like it due to technical reasons)
  • Empire Earth (it didn't age that well... YMMV)
  • Stronghold: Definitive Edition (I know Stronghold is almost more like a city builder. But out of all the city builders, it's the one that is closest to an RTS. Because let's face it. All "proper" city builders have absolute garbage combat)
  • Stronghold Crusader HD
  • Populous 3
  • Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
  • Halo Wars 2 (unfortunately it's locked behind the fucking Windows Store. Or you get it on Xbox)
  • Tempest Rising (an upcoming Command & Conquer-style RTS. I found the demo to be mid, so YMMV)
  • Stormgate (an upcoming StarCraft clone by former Blizzard devs. It's going to be free to play. If you are really into StarCraft, it might be cool)
  • Dune 2000 (really cool, imho. A Remake of Dune 2, basically.)
  • Emperor: Battle for Dune (It did age better than Empire Earth, imho)

Bonus: Real-time Tactics (focus on combat, no base building):

• Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II
  • World in Conflict
  • Ground Control
  • Warhammer: Dark Omen
  • Myth: The Fallen Lords
  • Myth II: Soulblighter
  • MechCommander
  • MechCommander 2
Edit: Fucking hell. I forgot the Dune RTS games. Weird that I would forget them...

Last edited:

Aion002

Supreme Commander 1 and 2.
Halo Wars 1 and 2.
Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends.
Total Annihilation.
Stronghold Crusader.

Nebulous fleet command is a really interesting take on rts, focusing on load outs, electronic and reconnisance. It's similar to the space combat of the expanse, vibe wise, though plays out more slowly.

Dawn of war 1 with the ultimate apocalypse mod for a bit of silly fun lol

Last edited:

Beechos

Beaides the obvious ones like c&c, starcraft, warcraft. The lord of the rings ones, rise of nations and myth. Myth was the 1st 3d one I think where elevation played a big role but no resource gathering or town building if that's your thing my favorite bungie game.

Last edited:

Beechos

• Age of Mythology: Extended Edition (A Remake is in the works, called: Age of Mythology: Retold)
  • Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition (try it first somehow before you buy, if you can. It's quite different from how Age 2 plays)
  • Age of Empires IV
  • Total Annihilation
  • StarCraft Remastered
  • StarCraft II
  • Star Wars: Empire At War (although I am not a huge fan, it has a very dedicated community and mods galore... like almost all of the RTS games I have mentioned so far)
  • Stronghold: Definitive Edition (I know Stronghold is almost more like a city builder. But out of all the city builders, it's the one that is closest to an RTS. Because let's face it. All "proper" city builders have absolute garbage combat)
  • Stronghold Crusader HD
  • Populous 3
  • Halo Wars 2 (unfortunately it's locked behind the fucking Windows Store. Or you get it on Xbox)
  • Tempest Rising (an upcoming Command & Conquer-style RTS. I found the demo to be mid, so YMMV)
  • Stormgate (an upcoming StarCraft clone by former Blizzard devs. It's going to be free to play. If you are really into StarCraft, it might be cool)

• World in Conflict
  • Ground Control
  • MechCommander
  • MechCommander 2
This is the definitive rts list dont think you missed anything lol.

Hudo

This is the definitive rts list dont think you missed anything lol.
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, maybe. But I haven't played that so I don't really know how it is. But if it's really just "Age of Empires 2 but Star Wars", it might be pretty decent.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The Stronghold remaster just came out last month. That game is a classic.

If you like the city building and supply chain logistical aspects of RTS games, then Anno 1800 might be up your alley.

Dungeons 4 came out recently on pc gamepass and I'd never heard of it, but its a pretty good mix between rts and whatever the original warcraft games are catagorized as
Im currently playing the entry before, dungeon keeper 3. 4 is basically the same with some qol things, and less army decision from what I've heard

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Stel:messenger_clapping:lar:messenger_clapping:is

Go buy it now and play your first 5 games...then watch videos on it. It is the most involved grand strategy game I've ever played.

you got space, you got planets, an entire galaxy to fight wars over, and end game crisis that tests your proficiency in one of the most unforgiving ways I've seen. Multiple and I mean like hundreds of different builds, you got origins, alien races. You manage your population, the populations of other civilizations, you can enthrall, enslave, form galactic corporations, theres a got damn galactic senate and you vote on bills that affect the whole galaxy. You can win the game by being a pacifist, a megacorporation, an undead civilization, you can become the fuckin end game crisIs. Stellaris is absolutely insane. Get it, NAOWWWWWW.

Last edited:

Go buy it now and play your first 5 games...then watch videos on it. It is the most involved grand strategy game I've ever played.

you got space, you got planets, an entire galaxy to fight wars over, and end game crisis that tests your proficiency in one of the most unforgiving ways I've seen. Multiple and I mean like hundreds of different builds, you got origins, alien races. You manage your population, the populations of other civilizations, you can enthrall, enslave, form galactic corporations, theres a got damn galactic senate and you vote on bills that affect the whole galaxy. You can win the game by being a pacifist, a megacorporation, an undead civilization, you can become the fuckin end game crisIs. Stellaris is absolutely insane. Get it, NAOWWWWWW.

I've never played this series myself, but I had a buddy I was stationed with that was obsessed with this game. This and Shogun: Total War were the only games he played.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've never played this series myself, but I had a buddy I was stationed with that was obsessed with this game. This and Shogun: Total War were the only games he played.
honestly the only downside is the insane amount of DLC it has. You don't have to buy it right off the bat, but once you're hooked, you'll wanna buy it. Luckily they often have huge sales on the DLC as well.

Flutta

Banned

• Age of Empires IV
  • Total Annihilation
  • StarCraft Remastered
  • StarCraft II
  • Stronghold Crusader HD
  • Populous 3

• World in Conflict
  • Ground Control
  • MechCommander
  • MechCommander 2
Edit: Fucking hell. I forgot the Dune RTS games. Weird that I would forget them...

”Off top of my head”

Bro you just listed all of them 🤣🤣😅

Hudo

”Off top of my head”

Bro you just listed all of them 🤣🤣😅
Only the ones I think are worth checking out! I omitted stuff like the Dark Reign games or Warlords Battlecry or weirder stuff like Black & White 2 (is an RTS, IMHO) or Impossible Creatures.

There were a lot of mid RTS games released in the 90s and early 2000s.

killatopak

Gold Member

I don’t think Stellaris is an RTS? It feels more like a 4X game.

Flutta

Banned
Only the ones I think are worth checking out! I omitted stuff like the Dark Reign games or Warlords Battlecry or weirder stuff like Black & White 2 (is an RTS, IMHO) or Impossible Creatures.

There were a lot of mid RTS games released in the 90s and early 2000s.
Yeah i know, It’s a good list either way.

Have you checked out The Riftbreaker, not s pure RTS but a mix of that with base-building, survival game with Action-RPG elements.

Worth the time. Had alot of fun with this game. You should check it out if you havent.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Rise of Nations merged Civilization and AOE into this near-perfect game that is so underappreciated. The sequel went in this weird steampunk direction but it's still really good. I didn't have the technical problems Hudo did, in fact it all worked great for me when I tried it on my modern PC (even has UWS support).
Supreme Commander is the best "large scale" RTS.
Homeworld is very original with some of the best art design/scale ever but it's quite difficult.
Company of Heroes is maybe the best RTS ever - COH2 isn't quite as good but Relic put a ton of work into it over the years and it has a ton fo content. COH3 killed the franchise.
StarCraft/StarCraft 2 - totally obvious but both should be played, SC1 even got a good remaster.

There's a lot of other stuff, like Battle Realms that is getting ongoing modernization/QOL upgrades, and then you get into other games that mix other genres but there is something about the pure RTS that I always found appealing. WarCraft 2 was the first game I played on my first PC.

Neon Xenon

Star Wars: Empire at War should be highlighted here, since it very recently got a Major Update on November 20th that brings fixes, game changes, and the biggest update being that both the original game and the Forces of Corruption expansion have been brought to 64-Bit. This is big news for both game stability and and mods (of which Empire at War has a LOT of).

The tradeoff for updating EaW's executables to 64-bit is that previous save games from the 32-bit version will no longer be compatible, but Petroglyph has also allowed players to access to the 32-bit version to play their older saves by going into Properties -> Betas -> 32-bit_version.

It's a great game and only $6.99 for the Steam Autumn Sale. Also, I think it's just cool that Petroglyph is still around and is still working on Empire at War. You love to see it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Star Wars: Empire at War should be highlighted here, since it very recently got a Major Update on November 20th that brings fixes, game changes, and the biggest update being that both the original game and the Forces of Corruption expansion have been brought to 64-Bit. This is big news for both game stability and and mods (of which Empire at War has a LOT of).

The tradeoff for updating EaW's executables to 64-bit is that previous save games from the 32-bit version will no longer be compatible, but Petroglyph has also allowed players to access to the 32-bit version to play their older saves by going into Properties -> Betas -> 32-bit_version.

It's a great game and only $6.99 for the Steam Autumn Sale. Also, I think it's just cool that Petroglyph is still around and is still working on Empire at War. You love to see it.
that is just incredible support on a 17 year old game, kudos to the devs

Filben

I like Northgard. It's simplicity and low numbers in regard of armies and workers is refreshing. You don't command hundreds of units but only a few dozens in total.

Hudo

Have you checked out The Riftbreaker, not s pure RTS but a mix of that with base-building, survival game with Action-RPG elements.

Worth the time. Had alot of fun with this game. You should check it out if you havent.
Ah thanks for the tip. I haven't checked out Riftbreaker yet, even though it came up a couple of times in Steam recommendations, I believe. Will check it out!

Not real time but give Heroes of might and magic 3 a try.

Its turnbased with base building, exploring, resource collection, leveling, skills, combat tactics, items, spells… has it all really, except real time gameplay….

Is warcraft 3 still a thing? Could look into that as well

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don’t think Stellaris is an RTS? It feels more like a 4X game.
It's grand strategy. But I mean...it's still plays like an RTS...cept there can be like 30 players at once if you want. But you can make it 1 v 1 v 1 if you want. You can do it co-op as well.

I guess I look at it like this. If you're grand strategy is always militaristic...then you basically have an RTS...just with multiple potential opponents or allies. It's left a bit up to RNG and your ability to adapt whether the conditions meet your goals.

I suppose in RTS games the militaristic thing is a given. There really is no option to be pacifist and win. Plus the units you use for fighting probably vary a bit more. Like tanks, anti air, infantry, flying units, base killers, etc.

In Stellaris, you kinda have that. You got smaller ships, scouts, science and construction, light fighters and destroyer, medium size frigates, up to capital sized ships. You can even get special units like alien fauna to fight for you including a space dragon. These kinda all roll into a rock paper scissors kinda balance where you outfit your ships based on what information you can gather about your opponents armies. You can do this through subterfuge, essentially sending spies masked as diplomats into their society, or by building radar arrays that eventually can cover the whole galaxy.

I'm nerding out heavy here, I know. I just think if you like RTS games, then for 12 bucks you can put Stellaris in your back pocket and just give it a try once in a while.

Lots of good suggestions on this thread that meet the RTS requirement regardless...why not go a lil nuts?

Ozzie666

RTS peaked in the 90's for me at least, Dune 2, Starcraft and Command & Conquer series. Has the genre really progessed that much?
The Settlers series pretty good too.

Is there some hatred for the Star Craft 2 games or something?

I wish Universe at War got this kind of support. It's abandonware now lol
Had so much fun with the giant walkers and downloading my army through power lines...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Stellaris is a great game, but OP is asking for RTS not turn based strategy. He should still try it out if he can.

pasterpl

No one listing settlers? Why?

• Age of Empires IV
  • Total Annihilation
  • StarCraft Remastered
  • StarCraft II
  • Stronghold Crusader HD
  • Populous 3

• World in Conflict
  • Ground Control
  • MechCommander
  • MechCommander 2

Hudo

No one listing settlers? Why?
Except for Settlers 5, Settlers has much much bigger focus on the economy part (even if everything is just a means to build up an army) and the combat is too shallow. Which is why I haven't listed it. Settlers 2 and Settlers 4 are good games, though!

nkarafo

Red Alert 2 and it's expansion, Yuri's Revenge

The original Starcraft and Brood war (much better single player campaigns than the sequels)

Anno 1404 (best micromanaging game IMO)

Is Dungeons better than War for the Overworld? By better i mean closer to the og Dungeon Keeper?
Sorry but I didn't know the game you mentioned existed, so no clue. The modern dungeons is a comical saga, with both managing your dungeon and conquering the land outside. Watch a review if you fancy

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Can't really recommend it yet as it's coming out on the 7th of December but as a fan of the franchise it's been on my radar for so long:

BoxFresh123

Recently played through the StarCraft II campaign. I suck ass at it but it's fun as hell.

Also LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth if you have a way of playing that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom