• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really obscure NES and other 8-bit games?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I fuckin love Tombs and Treasure, actually one of my favorite NES titles!

After the Megaman discussion thread started yesterday, I went back and played Megaman 1, which was a fun time. Then, I replayed some of Akira Kitamura's other Megaman-likes including Cocoron with English translation, and Little Samson. Cocoron is a trip, art-style wise and gameplay wise too, it combines character creation with Megaman like gameplay, it's as good as it sounds! Little Samson is sort of like the Megaman version of Bloodstained Curse of the Moon spinoffs in the sense that there are individual characters with their own abilities, but then later on you can switch between them to get past different parts of the levels I think

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is my go-to "obscure awesome NES game"

Box-157.jpg

Essentially an early metroidvania, with branching paths that often required additional weapons or power ups to proceed. An action / platformer similar to metroid or mega man, but all wrapped in an anime (of the time) aesthetic.

The game still holds up surprisingly well for something that came out in '89.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Tombs and treasures isn’t that obscure but it is an awesome game! I played through it again not long ago.

Clash at demon head was part of a big movie. I’m mean their are shirts with it on them these days lol. Not too obscure.

If you want something completely away from any current gameplay experiences you should try out a game called Flying Warriors. It has neat fighting system and pretty decent story telling.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I keep finding out about obscure NES/Famicom and other games from the 8-bit era these days. There seems to be a ton of them that no one has heard of.

Here's one I found out today that looks freaking cool, like an anime style Shadowgate:

This is actually maybe better known as Asteka II. The first game was more of and adventure game on the NEC PC-88 and Sharp X1. Great find!

jshackles

Clash at demon head was part of a big movie. I’m mean their are shirts with it on them these days lol. Not too obscure.
This is more of a catch-22 situation really. The rival band in Scott Pilgrim was named after the game, and therefore the game got less obscure. But now Scott Pilgrim is much more popular than Clash at Demonhead ever was, so most people don't even realize that the band in the movie was named after the game. And now even Scott Pilgrim is fading into relative obscurity / cult status itself, which adds another layer of abstraction.

Nobody is buying a t-shirt for the Vic Tokai game, lol

Vandole

Scott Pilgrim vs the World has a strong cult following but it was a bomb in the box office. So I wouldn't say it really raised the profile of the NES game.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I’m in this thread all “sweet let’s see some cool 8 bit games I missed” then realize my 10 year old self played all the ones listed (got me a sweet copy of Little Samson from a local video store that closed down in the late 90’s, rip VideoVision) but I said “GOTTDAM”…I feel old right now.

Flying Dragon LET’S GOOOOOOO

SKEingg.jpg

Last edited:

Vandole

1ca32d6a-e43a-406d-8a3c-3cc1d68acb98_1.386aac9f05bd45fcd75ae382e988cba1.jpeg

Chubby Cherub... Sometime in 1990 Nintendo Power put out a mini review guide for every NES game that had come out to that point. Two games tied for the lowest score. City Connection and this mess of a game...Chubby Cherub.

It was an early release for the NES, and in Japan it was a licensed game from some show about a ghost that was scared of dogs. But due to that license they had to find another character to replace him with, and this dumbass Angel kid got the job.

The game is genuinely terrible, but because of that review I was always genuinely interested in trying to track down a copy.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I'd consider this one pretty obscure. It had decent graphics (Castlevania II-esque), an interesting co-op system, and a great soundtrack.

I've watched some let's plays of this one, and it looks good, but I haven't tried it yet.

I also enjoyed this one. Insane soundtrack and great graphics. Think it was supposed to be a Wolverine game but they didn't get the license.

I don't know if this is obscure, but no one really talks about it, and I enjoyed it as a kid.

I’m in this thread all “sweet let’s see some cool 8 bit games I missed” then realize my 10 year old self played all the ones listed (got me a sweet copy of Little Samson from a local video store that closed down in the late 90’s, rip VideoVision) but I said “GOTTDAM”…I feel old right now.

Flying Dragon LET’S GOOOOOOO
Opposite, I thought for sure I'd pop in and know a game or two but nah. Thought maybe Flying Dragon actually from the box art but looked at some gameplay on YouTube and... nah.

digdug2

I remember playing Werewolf: The Last Warrior as a kid. Changing into the werewolf with the hookblades for arms was awesome, but man the game got hard as nails later on.

I'm not sure if this one is obscure, either, but as a 5-6 year old, I really liked this game even though I remember it was practically impossible to not take damage:

Vandole

I'd consider this one pretty obscure. It had decent graphics (Castlevania II-esque), an interesting co-op system, and a great soundtrack.

I've watched some let's plays of this one, and it looks good, but I haven't tried it yet.

8-Eyes is kind of like a hybrid of Castlevania and mega man, and its a good game if you can play it co-opt. One of you controls The swordsman, and the other controls his falcon. If you have to play solo, it becomes one of the hardest games you'll ever find in the 8-Bit world. It definitely has that "do not play without a guide" level of difficulty to it.

Vandole

Niji_no_silkroad_cover.jpg

This game is called Rainbow Silk Road. It never got a western release, but a couple groups have translated it over the years. It's more or less an rpg, but the real focus of the game is trading from one town to another and figuring out the best paths to making a profit before you move on to another part of the world.

So you start the game off in the Middle East trading between Cairo, Jerusalem, Mecca, etc. One town Wood will be very cheap to buy, but oil is expensive and sells at a premium. In another town oil is cheap, but salt will be at a premium. So you go from town to town in different routes trying to buy low, and sell high while you try not to get attacked by bandits or snakes on the trading route. And after you finish the quest in that area you move on to the next part of the world.

Anyway, it's not overly complex and it gets a little repetitive but it's a very unique game. Definitely worth tracking down.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Lagrange Point is one I've always wanted to check out. I have the fan translated version on my RetroPi.

Anyone here familiar with the Daiva Story games? I only ever played part 5 on MSX2 but really want to give part 6 on the Famicom a whirl.

Interesting about the 6 parts of the game is that it the same story told from a different perpective, while all parts being on a different platform.

Last edited:

pachura

Twister: Mother of Charlotte on ZX Spectrum

Jeff Minter'esque, trippy game with pseudo-3D, collecting obscure symbols, fighting flying witches, goats and bull heads, as well as some kind of satirs(?) who seem to occassionally piss(?)

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There were hundreds of games for the NES, so the majority of them are obscure.
Maybe there were more famous games on the NES on average because the console was the absolute market leader and was on the market for so long. Even so, I don’t know if there’s 100 NES games that could be considered famous enough that the mere mention is going to get a nod from most people in a gaming forum.

I don’t think I’ve ever played a really obscure NES game. Abadox is probably one of the most niche I’ve played. Very cool, but ridiculously hard.

_Ex_

I live in a different world so much of this isn't obscure to me. However, I do recommend Madoola no Tsubasa: The Wing of Madoola, Summer Carnival '92: Recca, and Yakyuuken Part II - Gal's Dungeon. IIRC all of those have English fan translations by now.

Edit: added box art

310989_front.jpg

40449_front.jpg

667684_front.jpg

Last edited:

Aesius

Destiny of an Emperor (where my avatar comes from):

One of the best NES RPGs but few people have ever heard of it. It's got a Romance of the the Three Kingdoms/Han Dynasty plot where you play as Liu Bei and his allies. It's almost Pokemon-like in that you can capture opposing generals that you defeat in battle and add them to your squad as playable characters.

joedan

Thundercade. Motorcycle shoot-em-up for the \NES.

Never heard anyone mentioned it on the Internet except me.

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
This is my go-to "obscure awesome NES game"

Box-157.jpg

Essentially an early metroidvania, with branching paths that often required additional weapons or power ups to proceed. An action / platformer similar to metroid or mega man, but all wrapped in an anime (of the time) aesthetic.

The game still holds up surprisingly well for something that came out in '89.

I had never heard anyone mention this game until Scott Pilgrim came out. I thought we had the only copy ever back in the day since I couldn't get anybody to talk to me about the game at school.

Isn't this just Contra?

Sojiro

Picture of Probotector
Not obscure in the slightest, as that is just a name and character skin swap change of Contra for the EU region.

Some games I would include:

TNzkd6I.jpg

I loved this game, and I swear I feel like I am the only one that either likes it, or played it because no one talks about it lol, its a great RPG for the NES.

dNp9UeR.jpg

Kind of surprising there isn't a game based off the first Gremlin's movie on the NES honestly, but Gremlin's 2 is one of the few rare scenarios where a movie licensed game is actually good on the NES. But its a Sunsoft title, and they have a good track record of games on the NES.
BAck4rN.jpg

The OP mentions Shadowgate, but I don't as often hear people mention Uninvited or Deja Vu, which are games developed by the devs of Shadowgate and play exactly the same, just with different themes. Of the three, I personally enjoyed Uninvited the most as it takes place in more horror setting than Shadowgate. Its fun for a single play through (since once you know what to do, there is no reason for a revisit), and the menus are a bit clunky by today's standards, but I still enjoyed all these games, and think they qualify as obscure.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Twister: Mother of Charlotte on ZX Spectrum

Jeff Minter'esque, trippy game with pseudo-3D, collecting obscure symbols, fighting flying witches, goats and bull heads, as well as some kind of satirs(?) who seem to occassionally piss(?)

It's original name was Twister: Mother Of Harlot, which obviously would not have gone own too well with the Mums and Grans looking for a Spectrum game for Tarquin's 13th birthday.....

One of Sensible Software's early releases too.

The problem with a thread like this, as cool as an idea it is, is that there was just so MUCH STUFF during the 8-bit era.

Once you start including all those long forgotten 8-bit home micros this list could be still going in ten years time :)

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
da2f6f4c-50da-4ea9-9d22-1a53a77fe893.png
362be394-f36f-4723-ab1b-25864d39dcc4.png

The Black Onyx (ザ・ブラックオニキス, Za Burakku Onikisu) is a 1984 role-playing video game released in Japan, developed by Bullet-Proof Software, with development led by Henk Rogers.[1] It was originally released for the NEC PC-8801, and ported to several other platforms. The Famicom version featured completely redesigned gameplay, a new map, and was retitled Super Black Onyx (スーパーブラックオニキス). The Game Boy Color port was developed by Atelier Double and published by Taito. The Game Boy Color port added enhanced visuals and included an option to play through the game with the original game's visual style.[2]

Because of memory limitations, another part of the game was released separately on some platforms as The Fire Crystal (ザ・ファイアクリスタル) (which added a magic system). Two other parts were announced, The Moonstone (ザ・ムーンストーン) (which allowed the party to explore the wilderness), and Arena (アリーナ) (which allowed the party to take part in Arena battles).

The SG-1000 version was one of the last releases for that console, succeeded by Portrait of Loretta.[3]

jshackles

BAck4rN.jpg

The OP mentions Shadowgate, but I don't as often hear people mention Uninvited or Deja Vu, which are games developed by the devs of Shadowgate and play exactly the same, just with different themes. Of the three, I personally enjoyed Uninvited the most as it takes place in more horror setting than Shadowgate. Its fun for a single play through (since once you know what to do, there is no reason for a revisit), and the menus are a bit clunky by today's standards, but I still enjoyed all these games, and think they qualify as obscure.
If you enjoy these games and feel like replaying them on something modern, check out the 8-bit Adventure Anthology

It's also on PlayStation I belive

For this forum this would basically be most of the library for every home compute, the SMS, and the 7800 lol.

Doing something different throwing a curve ball, Tower of Druaga for 8-bit arcade.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Culture Brain very quietly made some of the best games on the NES. Little Ninja Brothers, Kung-Fu Heroes, and the Magic of Scheherazade were all very good games that not a whole lot of people remember.

I remember that Game Players Magazine (the original version) was obsessed with Scheherazade, devoting one or two issues to a complete strategy guide with screenshot maps. Culture Brain definitely had a style all their own and they seemed to fly under the radar, despite all their magazine ads.

Sojiro

If you enjoy these games and feel like replaying them on something modern, check out the 8-bit Adventure Anthology

It's also on PlayStation I belive
Oh cool, didn't know these got a trilogy release on Steam. I have all three loaded on my NES classic, so I doubt I will pick them up, but cool to see they got a re-release on more modern hardware. I will always associate these games on the NES, but man having a mouse would be a real nice for these games lol.

BAck4rN.jpg

The phonograph no longer works. I think you broke it. Go to your room.

Top Bottom