• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really old games whose visuals have best stood the test of time

Cepheus

I'm gonna fudge this a little and say Street Fighter III, which is a few months out from being 20 years old. To the best of my knowledge, the spritework for the game wasn't really updated in the translation to its console port, meaning that the stuff released in the original arcade cabinet is as it was almost 20 years ago, and some of it is just remarkable.

http://www.zweifuss.ca/index.htm

colorswap.php

colorswap.php

colorswap.php

alex01.png

This, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

These sprites are so big and good and chunky. I love this game visually even more than I did when I dropped quarters on it as a very small child.

18189-WWF_WrestleFest_(US_Tecmo)-1-thumb.png

WWF Wrestlefest, by the way, for those not in the know.

arigato

Quake 3 Arena/Live has a timeless aesthetic which I have really admired. These pictures don't do the map or game justice but they were the best I could find.
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Whenever a thread comes up regarding old games, this is the one I think of. [trying to avoid most 2d GAMES]

Zeus: About 16-17 years old. [one of my favorite games of all time]
pc-42014-31330461769.jpg

Others

Sacrifice: 16-17 years old [one of my favorite games of all time]
sacrifice_5l.jpg

Dominus 22-23 years old
dominus_11.gif

And because I like to include it in everything:

Da da DASH.

The burning sun GLEAMING on my SHOUUUDLERSSSSSS
here we go
Start
the MACHINE COMES ALIIVVEEEEEE

Mnsg_gourmet.png

and
Diddy Kong Racing 19yo
n64-5316-21328127896.jpg

Riposte

Final Fantasy VI (1994)

14-ffvi_039.png

Why did you choose the one pseudo-3D scene that looks kind of shitty? lol

Some 2D games hold up better than others. Metal Slug blows away most other 2D games. If you don't hold them to any benchmark, like you are for 3D games, then you are not really comparing them at all and so it makes sense for all of them to hold up (even the worse looking ports of arcade games).

nOoblet16

Undoubtedly Metal Slug...Game could come out today and still look good enough for today's standards due to its insanely advanced 2D animations and effects.

Grief.exe

In my experience, if a 2D game on the SNES, Genisis, GBA, PC, or PS1 looked amazing back in the day, it still looks amazing today. 2D visuals upscale so cleanly to 1080p, 4K, etc that they end up looking better now then they did then.

YaBish

I nominate Pitfall! for the Atari 2600:
e0441d8cdb5c0bd60870882437dd2444.jpg

While not exactly a looker by today's standards, I think it holds up pretty well.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Ocarina of Time definitely. The use of color, lighting, and spatial awareness to create atmosphere are exceptional and imo unmatched.

13_Valley02_Large.jpg

10_Water48_Large.jpg

The Parodius games that came after the MSX game still look so damn awesome. Same for the Gradius series starting with II (not IV though).

Most 2D games, especially from the 16 and 32 bit eras, still stand the test of time graphics wise.
Most of the time it's the earlier SNES/SFC RPGs that don't (Dragon Quest V and Final Fantasy IV come to mind).

But you shouldn't judge a game by its graphics anyway. Judge it by its gameplay or by the story it tells.

D&D Tower of Doom ('93)

dd1-4.png

Soukyugurentai/ Terra Driver ('96)

2703839464_2a124c6a26_o.png

Punisher ('93)

punisher_6.png

Just to name a few...

Pretty much anything Capcom, Nintendo, Raizing/ Eighting, Taito, or Treasure, now that I think about it.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm stretching this a bit but it will be 20 years old next year, but Kirby's Dreamland 3 with its pastel colors and hand drawn art style are gorgeous. Still one of my favorite games and art styles for Kirby.

koP7Tpl.png

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

I'm on a cellphone otherwise I'd post pictures, but Wing Commander II is still a beauty to look at afterall this time, and that came out, when? 91 I think?

Definitely Wing Commander II.

Edit:

Boy i hope this works
Wing%20Commander%20II:%20Vengeance%20of%20the%20Kilrathi_3.png

wc2democomparison2.gif

images

DonMigs85

Who woulda thunk 2D sprite games would hold up much better over time? Most PS1, Saturn and N64 3D games look hideous today. However I will make exceptions for Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Mario 64, 1080 Snowboarding, and Virtua Fighter 2

Red Devil

Good to see Curse of the Monkey Island getting mentioned, I always thought it had nothing to envy from the cartoons of the time, and still looks fairly good.

Gonna be a lot 16-bit games in this thread.

I nominate Super Metroid as being timeless:

metroid3_05.gif

metroid3_12.gif

metroid3_43.gif

Between the SNES games, I think Super Metroid is the one that still holds up the best on that deparment(not only that one of course).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm cheating with Age of Empires since it's from '97 but I loved how clean it looked.

Oh, how I wish it received the HD remaster treatment. Since Mythology followed 2, I can only assume a remaster wasn't practical due to source assets having been lost over time.

Klart

usually 2d stuff holds up...well, forever really. Its not even a case of "man look at this crisp hd 2d we have today (like the Blazblue games for example), the old stuff looks shit in comparison" except it doesnt, it still looks fine.

3d games on the other hand, you go back to most stuff pre-PS2 and yeesh.

Agreed. You can include some PS2 (not looking fine) as well for me.

A lot of 2D stood the test of time better than 3D. I never understood this necessity for publishers to make genres switch dimensions. It didn't turn out good for my favourite genre, brawlers.

Top Bottom