• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

reason for not joining neogaf earlier.

mcjmetroid

I had an account a long time ago I think.

I think it was even before the sjw times started. Back then the forum came off as... Ah stuck up I guess?

Don't remember really though was quite young at the time.

Lurked since late 08/early 09 didn't get my on ISP Email until 2012 and said fuck it let's go.

Left in 2015 due to work and used Twitter way more. Heard about the destruction of GAF and was like "Fuck em." Checked the site every now and then and saw it was building up a fresh community and I did not give a fuuuuuck about ERA. Think I literally started posting right after MAGfest 2019. Glad I came back, think I was a little bit hostile when I first started posting again but it's all good.

Boneless

Didnt bother with the elitist restrictions. Also was kindof on the fence as half of the topics had weird woke replies. Now all the wokes went up and left the place is great.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
I only ever knew of this place when it was like *PaedoERA. Basically you get banned for as little as farting. After the split I saw a couple of places reporting that the soyboys had left and gave it a go. It's pretty much the only place I go to for gaming news now.

*Think I lasted two or three days on there before being banned. Dismissing trans issues or some nonsense.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

I didn't know it existed untill 2010-2011 or so when I stumbled upon it through a search when it was quiet at work because I was curious to know what the biggest forums in the world were. Going through short descriptions I saw Neogaf was about gaming which is an interest of me so I started to lurk here. First I thought this was more business related as the first thread I opened was an huge NPD thread lol, I went through the whole thread wich took me days – I was at work when I did that so any quiet time I opened the tab and continued reading – and found out gamers thought it was serious business how much a big multi-billion dollar company sells. I still find it odd that gamers care so much. I also found that Xbox was under presented as I was on the verge to ditch the PS brand at the beginning of the Xbox One gen.

I signed up and it took a little time to get in but once I got in and the console wars started up for the new gen. It was FUD from SonyGaf 24/7 about the Xbox policies – I was all for it but scared that my opinion would cause a pile on and I didn't bother to voice my opinion because of that. Then I found the off-topic section of the site in 2015 which I never bothered with before and saw that my opinions on most stuff were 180 degrees different from the popular opinion. It was maddening to see how crazy an huge part of the community was in my mind. Opinions that were so 180 degrees on what I witnessed in real life that I thought I entered an insane assylum. So users must've been just trolling I thought. But then I saw the build up and the meltdowns of the 2016 elections and then I knew for sure that there was something wrong and I knew I didn't want to join the discussions with my opinions as I would've been banned so I continued lurking.

A year later my health deterioated suddenly and in the middle of august 2017 I ended up in the hospital, I didn't get out before the middle of November that year and found a wasteland here like in Fallout, wondering what I missed I started searching and through some threads about what happened on GAF in my absence I slowly got up to date with what has happened and that the users migrated to reeeeeee. I checked the forum out and the first couple of weeks were honestly good but then it went insane with the non-stop bannings and no freedom of speach and extreme far left ideas. And every opinion other then their extreme far left groupthink was banned – I for sure lost some braincells lurking there for a while. I also went back to lurk on GAF and continued so and found out that the mostly sane people were still at GAF and freedom of speach was tolerated again because a whole new mod team was installed. Also because the forum update I lost my login credentials as I also had a new computer and couldn't figure out with which e-mail I sigened up to ask for a password reset. One day I had a bright moment where I remembered the e-mail adress again and I finally was able to ask for a reset and I started to participate more. Also with the reaction emoji's you can give a post quick reaction to what you think and I love that interaction. As someone who thinks 180 degrees different about things than the lunatics at reeeeee I also feel far more at place here despite the crazy PS fanboys who think everything PS must be great and everything Xbox must be bad.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I lurked for like 6 years. I cant remember what it was that compelled me to create an account, but glad I did because I don't think I could come here any more without the ignore features.

Hey that hurts :(

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Lurked since 2008 or so, i think even earlier, like 2006. I remember GAF had a Crysis topic or something like that back then.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Didn't know about Neogaf until 2015, but when I checked it out I found it too big and to much of a hassle to sign up so I didn't bother with it. When the split happened and GAF was down on its knees, I applied for membership the summer of 2018 on chance to see if I would be accepted, which I was (pretty much immediately). Been a regular ever since. It's been fun following the journey and see the forum recover and being healthy and active again.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
so i was a lurker since 2004 and wanted to get an account on gaf,for games and shit but i thought u had to pay to get a membership.so wats ur reason for joining neogaf late?

I only knew GAF and Era around January 2020 from quoting insiders by youtubers, so came here for direct updates on next gen and stayed for memes.

Last edited:

Perrott

Hmmmmm, maybe because Verendus got banned and that made me lost interest in the forum at the time? 😅

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

bish and his ponies.

glitch attempt GIF
my little pony dancing GIF

oSoLucky

Hmmmmm, maybe because Verendus got banned and that made me lost interest in the forum at the time? 😅

I loved his E3 avatar bets. He'd have a bunch of vague ones like "Capcom will announce a revival for a dormant AAA franchise" and then people would start believing. The Sony 1st party JRPG to rival FF hype went on for more than a year before people lost faith.

I lurked for a long time myself. I just didn't have much use for the forum. I actually joined partly due to a bunch of FGC members mentioning GAF (I think the final straw was Haunts and Combofiend noting some thread from here on one of their ranked SF4 online streams). I never had much use for the forum outside of some random insider leaks. I have always played a lot of MMOs, and the communities for those on general forums like this and Reddit are typically not the hardcore kind that I'm looking for, and GFAQs had much better communities for a lot of JRPGs and Souls PvP after the DeS Atlus forums went down.

The second part of why I joined was due how crazy this place was in the PS4/XB1 lead up hype. The forum was in full tribalism mode (even had an extremely strong Nintendo/PC presence) but I found the circus hilarious. I registered in April/May 2013 and my account got approved around E3 time. I became far less active again post-exodus as most of the Destiny/Division communities moved on, and those were about 80% of my reason to post outside of NPD/Media Create topics (which obviously have also been neutered). There's way too much insanity around general game discussion so I'm usually not active outside of specific communities.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Just social anxiety for me. Despite forums being anonymous I still found the concept of posting and putting myself out there daunting. It isn't so bad now I'm posting, but the thought definitely made me second guess signing up numerous times. One day I just said screw it and signed up, and glad I did.

I am not sure if I was aware of GAF during the time when paid emails were required, but I know that is something that would have stopped me like everyone else.

I'm honestly glad to be around the forums now. The community is great and really welcoming from my experience. Love the Off-Topic and Communities sections.

Kdad

I got booted for having the controversial opinion that not every fucking slight in the world equated to racism...So i didn't come back until GAF gave its head a shake.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

I tried and always wanted to join many years ago, but not sure if it took so long to get approved that I simply forgot about it, then a year ago, for some reason, I came back here and I noticed I had been approved LOL, then later I was banned at the easily offended and entailed reeeee!!!! for saying that Abby had a manly jaw line, since then I've enjoyed the freedom of speech at this forum. And l like the emotes as well.

aries_71

I joined around 2007. Didn't do it before because I thought this was basically a console forum, and in the 90s and early 2000s I was only into flight simulators (which was pure PC territory).
Sometimes life gets in the way and I stop posting during long periods, but gaming is in my heart and always come back.
Neogaf is a lot better now than it was in those years. (Bishop & company, good riddance all of you).

MadPanda

Banned
When I visited it 5-7 years ago it looked clunky, endless list of threads in an age I was used to classic boards with different sections. I was scared of that, didn't know how anyone could follow that.

Later on when resetera came to be, I didn't care for the same reason as I just saw it as gaf 2.0. But even later on I started lurking it as I used it as an aggregate site for latest news in the industry and gaf was slow in that regard. Eventually I got fed with their politics and sjw, so I stopped visiting it.

As I didn't have an account there, I decided to try joining neogaf and here I am. It seems like a more polite place even though there are some questionable people and attitudes. I don't visit non gaming subforums and threads so maybe I would have another view of the forum, I don't know. For now, it's nice albeit somewhat slow, but I follow other sites so it evens out.

Social anxiety. I’d been lurking for several years before. I didn’t even realize there was a paid email requirement because joining wasn’t something I had actually thought of.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Never really had any interest in joining a new forum after the early 2000s but some crazy progressive in one of my facebook gaming groups starting ranting about how the dangerous "right-wing" ideas here needed to be shut down.

That's all I needed to hear.

so i was a lurker since 2004 and wanted to get an account on gaf,for games and shit but i thought u had to pay to get a membership.so wats ur reason for joining neogaf late?
I was a member here for a short time back in 2014 or so and lurked before that. The whole email thing and waiting for membership was crap honestly. Then to get here and be banned from sjw pricks and pretentious asshole mods who hated humor was the nail
in the coffin. And the messages about being banned... "culling the herd" or some shit like that. Why because I was brazen enough to say what's wrong with telling jokes.

This site was crap from 2014 until the bully sjws left to form reeeeeeetardera, back in 2018. So I came back after that. It's been a great web site since and I don't feel like I'm walking on egg shells jut talking like I would normally to a freind. The obscene censorship and policing of language and thought was unreal before the exodus. Anyone who sticks up for gaf during the sjw years has to be crazy. It was cancel culture before it hit mainstream. It only solidified my freedom of speech position and my disdain for cess pools like Twitter.

Now I will say as a lurker gaf seemed fine pre 2012, before the sjw movement infiltrated the site.

Top Bottom