• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebel FM Episode 45 - 01/01/10 - Bayonetta/Borderlands

Schrade

I haven't seen a thread for Rebel FM in a while. Figured I'd post this one.

Rebel FM said:
Welcome to 2010! We greet it with a podcast recorded in 2009! This week we’re down one Tyler Barber but up a Matt Chandronait and one Greg Ford, of Area5/Co-op and Bitmob respectively as we talk about Bayonetta, Borderlands and more, then move on to some letters. New Year’s Diet’ed penis!

All of this week’s music is courtesy of The Barnstormers (tracks include Misery, Let Me Do Right By You, and The Gift)

Rebel FM Episode 45 - 01/01/10

Direct Download: Rebel_FM_Episode_45_-_010110.mp3

iTunes Subscription

Zune Subscription

Acid08

Banned
Listened to it earlier. Pretty good episode, I was actually surprised to find out Arthur gave Bayonetta an 8. From the way he was talking about the game it seemed his score would have been much lower.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh hey, I haven't seen a GAF thread on RFM for a while. I posted this in another thread, but I'll move it here. I don't know if Arthur was ever unbanned:

Rez said:
I was just listening to the latest Rebel FM, where Arthur Gies, reviewer for the game for Team Xbox, talked about his opinion on Bayonetta.

Having not played the full game, I can't really comment on any of the finer points on what he had to say (difficulty spikes, etc), but I strongly disagree with the assertion that you have to both be into character-action games and be a Japanophile to get the most out of this game.

I never really spent much time playing DMC or NG, and I find that my favourite games are typically Western nowadays. Bayonetta appeals to me because of what seems to the interesting, creative level design, super-fluid combat and design choices that remind me of typical RE4ish-era Capcom. In that, it was a time where devs like Mikami and Kamiya himself were taking more traditional Japanese design, and very deliberately using them together with modern design to create games that are super-interesting, and, at times, transcended the games that inspired them (RE4, God Hand, Okami, Viewtiful Joe are some examples of this).

As a gamer, there is something really interesting about that to me, as they often end up being both the most memorable and the most remarkable games of their time because of their deliberate restrictions or conceits that make a game feel 'safe' and familiar, yet so much better/refined.

The appeal of something like that extends far beyond Japanophiles, people who post in this thread about rubbing one out to this game, hardcore character-action game fans and people who think the game's atmosphere and cutscenes are, like, totally rad, man. I have nothing against your decision to score the game the way you did, but the assertion you made is way off base on this one, Arthur, and I think, at this stage, the general response the game has received in the media and in the community indicates that the game might be doing something a lot more interesting than what you give it credit for.

Serious message board post on a serious topic.

to be fair, you guys always pick tell people to pick apart your text, not your score.

Still, I really liked this episode. I really ought to check out the Fallout 3 DLC. I haven't played in months.

big_z

Acid08 said:
Listened to it earlier. Pretty good episode, I was actually surprised to find out Arthur gave Bayonetta an 8. From the way he was talking about the game it seemed his score would have been much lower.

nah i listened to the part where he was talking about it last episode and he said he was having fun when he was playing it. he wasnt fond of the story, cookie cutter design or crappy music.

EDIT: why was arthur banned?

Acid08

Banned
big_z said:
nah i listened to the part where he was talking about it last episode and he said he was having fun when he was playing it. he wasnt fond of the story, cookie cutter design or crappy music.

EDIT: why was arthur banned?
Well how about you listen to the part on this episode since that's the one I'm commenting on.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Love me some Rebel FM!!! Really my favorite gaming podcast these days. The only one I listen to these days.

Arthur's thoughts on Bayonetta were really interesting. I can't comment myself as I've not yet played the demo (due to pure laziness), but I'll certainly keep his thoughts in mind when I do.

And it's really sad that the PS3 version sounds so dodgy. I have both consoles, and was going to get it on 360 regardless, but with the PS3 getting so much better this year you'd hope that devs would step up.

Massa

NYR said:
What was he banned for?

Other then being a pretentious dick?

Banning people for being pretentious dicks would empty this forum pretty quickly.

He was banned for implying he would pirate a GCN game.

Balb said:
Greg Ford is really interesting to listen to when he talks about games.

Greg Ford mostly sounds not interested in games when he is on Player One Podcast. Will give this a listen to hear if he is the same here.

Schrade

Balb said:
Greg Ford is really interesting to listen to when he talks about games.
I hate the way he pronounces "buttons". He says "buh-enz" with no "t" pronounced in there.

Benjamin1981 said:
Greg Ford mostly sounds not interested in games when he is on Player One Podcast. Will give this a listen to hear if he is the same here.

That's because being on Player One sucks the life out of people. Listen to him on Sports Anomaly. He steps it up to a whole other level.

Yak Yak Yak!!!

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
CartridgeBlower said:
That's because being on Player One sucks the life out of people. Listen to him on Sports Anomaly. He steps it up to a whole other level.

Yak Yak Yak!!!
yz9o8eg

Top Bottom