• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Night Only! GFW Radio 97.5 The Brodeo crashes the Rebel FM podcast

No Ryan Scott? What a loser, drive to Oakland you punk!

Rebel FM Episode 165 – 01/26/13

This week the new usual crew of Arthur, Anthony, and Mitch (we’re short one Matt) is joined by GFW alums Jeff Green and Shawn Elliott as we talk about Dishonored, Dead Space 3, cyclops and more.

This week’s music, in order of appearance:

Blood Red Shoes – Red River;

The Joy Formidable – Maw Maw Song

Download

Website

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Jeff and Shawn (technically Ryan Scott too since he never talks anyway)! But Arthur.....

palestinianchicken.gif

antitrop

I haven't listened to Rebel FM in 2 1/2 years, but if I have to I have to.

I don't even have a problem with any of people. I like Anthony and I'm neutral on Gies. I just never found the dynamics of their conversations very entertaining.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dropped Rebel FM ages ago and I'm not sure if this is enough to get me to listen to it again. Kind of wish they just did their own thing instead.

DTKT

Is Mr.Gies as spiteful, full of snark and disdain as ever? I hope that Mr.Elliot can counterarct some of that bitterness.

Empty

rebel fm was awful when i stopped listening but it's worth it for shawn and jeff so far, thanks for putting it together.

In Alan Wake, they have at least one scary moment like that. The player enters into a shack on an empty road, there's nothing much in there.. maybe an item but because it's so small they can have a shadowy figure walk past the window with noise triggers. It was really effective and worked on a lot of people but I'm not sure if it works on any window you look out of.

Bananas are great, but in smoothies not so much. Kiwi, apple, lime ones are really great.

sixghost

In Alan Wake, they have at least one scary moment like that. The player enters into a shack on an empty road, there's nothing much in there.. maybe an item but because it's so small they can have a shadowy figure walk past the window with noise triggers. It was really effective and worked on a lot of people but I'm not sure if it works on any window you look out of.

I know the exact moment you're talking about. It's kind of disappointing to learn that it seems scripted, though. That was really the only moment like that in the game though. I'm the person least tolerant of scary stuff, but even I thought Alan Wake wasn't the slightest bit scary. They should have removed the little cutscene that played each time an enemy triggered. That blew all the tension for me.

big_z

Rebel has been mostly solid over the years and I expect l an extra good podcast this episode thanks to the guests.

I can't believe Ryan wanked out because he's too afraid to drive in the city. Anthony should have picked him up or he could have taken a cab/train.

Btw Arthur is a gaffer. Shitting on fellow gaffers is a bannable offense. Just because he sounds like a robot and doesn't like every thing you do doesn't mean he sucks.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Well, this truly proves something for me. I will listen to anything that both Jeff and Shawn are a part of. ANYTHING.

Hopefully the non-ex-GFW'ers realized they were in the presence of game podcast legends and managed to shut their collective yaps as much as possible.

This is a pleasant surprise. Hopefully it turns out nicely.

FartOfWar

Banned
I know the exact moment you're talking about. It's kind of disappointing to learn that it seems scripted, though. That was really the only moment like that in the game though. I'm the person least tolerant of scary stuff, but even I thought Alan Wake wasn't the slightest bit scary. They should have removed the little cutscene that played each time an enemy triggered. That blew all the tension for me.

A designer's notion of scripting differs from the audience's. Let's say that under the hood, the game is looking to spawn one of several potential monster types (for any number of reasons -- pop cap is available, time since your last encounter is appropriate, whatever), and that the player's field of view can validate any one of a dozen potential dramatic monster entries. At that point, it's hardly scripted in the sense that gamers understand and use the term (i.e. a specific, inflexible outcome). It needn't even be technically scripted, once programmers turn what was intially kismet-driven into a system. Many of Rage's mutant encounters use such a system, and when it works in rapid succession its art in action. You'll catch like eight dynamic mutant intros in the space of seconds and each has cinematic quality presentation. Except as I emphasize, it's dynamic not canned.

Sober

I haven't listened to Rebel FM in 2 1/2 years, but if I have to I have to.

I don't even have a problem with any of people. I like Anthony and I'm neutral on Gies. I just never found the dynamics of their conversations very entertaining.
Yep, same. I really like Anthony on podcasts but the dynamics between him and Arthur and the really long lengths just made me drop it.

I still listen to Rebel FM weekly! ...sometimes I get a week or two behind just with my schedule, but I do always catch up. What an awesome surprise, sucks that Ryan isn't on just for him being Ryan with Jeff and Shawn on.

sixghost

A designer's notion of scripting differs from the audience's. Let's say that under the hood, the game is looking to spawn one of several potential monster types (for any number of reasons -- pop cap is available, time since your last encounter is appropriate, whatever), and that the player's field of view can validate any one of a dozen potential dramatic monster entries. At that point, it's hardly scripted in the sense that gamers understand and use the term (i.e. a specific, inflexible outcomes). It needn't even be technically scripted, once programmers turn what was intially kismet-driven into a system. Many of Rage's mutant encounters use such a system, and when it works in rapid succession its art in action. You'll catch like eight dynamic mutant intros in the space of seconds and each has cinematic quality presentation. Except as I emphasize, it's dynamic not canned.

Scripted was the wrong word then. A big part of why that moment has stuck with me so long was because it happened while watching one of the Night Springs tv shows, which I had assumed was some kind of safe zone in the game, where there was no chance of any sort of encounter. As the game went on, there was never another moment like that in the game, and doubt started to creep in that anything had actually walked by the window at all. The possibility that the game just had such a spooky setting that it had caused my eyes to play a trick on me made it even more memorable. It's just a bit disappointing to realize that it was something that happened to just about everyone. Maybe the fact that the game had me tricked for so long is impressive enough.

JABEE

Please make more of Out of the Game podcasts. I hope now that Infinite is done, that they will have more time to podcast. That sounds selfish of me though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
People who shit on Gies at random are way more obnoxious than anything he's ever pulled.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Btw Arthur is a gaffer. Shitting on fellow gaffers is a bannable offense. Just because he sounds like a robot and doesn't like every thing you do doesn't mean he sucks.

Yeah, that'll solve it.

Cartman86

Banned
Wait They are wrong about the no kill thing in Dishonored right? I looked it up before playing and no one mentioned anything before the prison.

mkenyon

Banned
Gies has more interesting things to say than most of the industry journalists. Apparently a lot of GAF doesn't approve if someone isn't funny and says things they might disagree with. Sounds like Clear Channel could mop up the Gaming Podcast market.

Also, F YEAH! I feel spoiled by the Brodeo and Thumbs content this week.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Why don't we try to be thankful for the inclusion of Jeff Green and Shawn Elliott instead of being shitty about Arthur appearing on his own podcast?

I shouldn't complain since I haven't listened to RebelFM since it started really but I just didn't really enjoy Arthur. Felt like a random addition after the 1up fiasco. He should bow out and let the GFW peeps do their thing. But considering he's a founding member, I could see why he's there. Wish the others were there though.

Top Bottom