• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me cult/obscure PS2 games

Jackpot

Banned
10,000 Bullets

C3AE4.jpg

kingkaiser

There's still a lot of niche/underrated gems out there. You just need to know where to look.

Name a few, besides Deadly Premonition I can't think of any really obscure game (not counting underrated, on GAF everything is either over or underrated) this gen that came out in the West.

Well, most of the last-gen games mentioned in this thread are not really that obscure...but since the thread title also mentions "cult" games, I will name some of this gen with high potential to get this status in a few years...

on Wii:

Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Mad World
No more Heroes
Battalion Wars 2

on Xbox/PSN Arcade:

Braid
Limbo
Journey

on HD consoles:

Nier
Brütal Legend
The Darkness
Mirror's Edge
Last Remnant
Crackdown
Viva Pinata
Banjo Kazzooie: Nuts and Bolts
Alpha Protocol
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom

That said, the real obscure games are to be found on handhelds in this day and age.

Jay Sosa

Yeah well that's exactly what I mean, sure there are some underrated and cult games (especially Majin, one of my favorite games this gen) out there..but obscure in the sense of say Killer 7 or Echo Night Beyond..there's basically nothing, and that's a damn shame.

And thanks for the list but as I feared I either played or knowingly skipped those games, not one was unknown to me. While there are still some PS2 games that I only find out about thanks to threads like this (like Michigan: Report form Hell).

btw: the list is missing Onechenbara, the probably best worst game this gen ;)

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology

That's the only game I can think of, the rest of the list people posted looks decent or I never heard of them before.

Yuterald

Name a few, besides Deadly Premonition I can't think of any really obscure game (not counting underrated, on GAF everything is either over or underrated) this gen that came out in the West.

Guess game development just has become so freaking expensive most companies just aren't willing to take the risk anymore..BUT: as developing for HD platforms should get cheaper (I assume) we might see a resurrection of games that make you scratch your head how anyone in their right mind gave the greenlight (aka the best games)

Yeah, Deadly Premonition is definitely a lost Dreamcast/PS2 era game. I hear what you're saying though. There aren't as many HD "niche" games as I'd like there to be. I mean, you've got your oddball Japanese alternative RPGs/games like Nier, Folklore, Majin, & 3D Dot Game Heroes, but these kinds of games just aren't as numerous as they used to be. There's just so little on the system and I don't see there being much more of a library in the coming years. There's nothing really to discover, you know what I mean? Basically, if you are a hardcore gamer and you like to try and keep on top of everything, it's really not that difficult to have played (or at least be aware about) all the "niche" alternative/obscure games on the system.

As I said in my last post, I think what you're looking for can be found (somewhat) on the DS and PSP primarily and soon to be 3DS and Vita. Other than that I think the Wii is where all of the weirdo games have been housed this "gen" other than what has been released on the portables. Just look at this assortment of 12 games:

971438_138008_thumb.jpg
938642_85581_thumb.jpg
933005_75563_thumb.jpg
938142_84502_thumb.jpg

933007_75565_thumb.jpg
938681_85653_thumb.jpg
620591_226535_thumb.jpg
946788_113533_thumb.jpg

945591_100974_thumb.jpg
943385_96298_thumb.jpg
944059_124906_thumb.jpg
944938_99777_thumb.jpg

This is an extension of the PS2. Take games like Tenchu: Shadow Assassins and Sky Crawlers, for example, and compare them to their HD counterparts. Which games are more true to their lineage? Shadow Assassins or Tenchu Z? Assault Horzion or Sky Crawlers? Christ, forget even what feels more like a PS2 game. The Wii games are just better games in general than their HD brothers! I just feel like devs experimented more on the Wii (which in retrospect makes sense since the platform/controller was so different) than any other console this gen.

Anyway, I genuinely feel like the Nintendo Wii provided that PS2-like library. While it may not be there in quantity, there's far more obscure/underground/underplayed games on the Wii than there will ever be on the PS3.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Anyway, I genuinely feel like the Nintendo Wii provided that PS2-like library. While it may not be there in quantity, there's far more obscure/underground/underplayed games on the Wii than there will ever be on the PS3.

This is true, however because Nintendo also seemingly let any themed minigame collection ever developed onto the platform, the sheer volume of crappy third-party releases led to these games probably selling WORSE on the Wii than similar games did on PS2. Just a guess, but even with so many consoles out there, there was just too much crap allowed onto this system for the gems to do anything but get lost in the sea of crap.

And so just another nail in the coffin of the quirky, cult, retail release.

Jay Sosa

As I said in my last post, I think what you're looking for can be found (somewhat) on the DS and PSP primarily and soon to be 3DS and Vita. Other than that I think the Wii is where all of the weirdo games have been housed this "gen" other than what has been released on the portables. Just look at this assortment of 12 games:

yeah you're right, for whatever reason (probably cause I don't own either system) I always overlook the (3)DS and the Wii. I probably should finally get me a 3DS and stop whining :D

And thanks for the list!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Im still waiting to see the OP freak out about all of these suggestions hes gonna have to go through and find for sale lol

mattp

ok i never heard of that gregory horror show game, and man this looks fucking awesome
too bad it only came out in europe :\

Top Bottom