• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me some 3DS Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my 3DS last week, they only thing I have to play on it is Pokemon X. Is there any other games that I should really buy for it? Thanks in Advance.

Etrian Odyssey 4

1.jpg

LuuKyK

Fire Emblem Awakening is my favorite 3DS game so far I think, so I would say that.

Although its hard to recommend games when you dont say what your favorite genres of games are. I am assuming you are accepting any suggestion, without restriction.

Wichu

Fire Emblem Awakening and Kid Icarus Uprising are both great. I'd recommend Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, but at this point you're better off waiting for the sequel in a few months.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So, here's my personal recommendations. I'm still playing through/will play through a lot of the major (and less than major) 3DS games, but of the ones I've played, here's what I'd recommend.

3DS Games that I Recommend Very Highly

• Shin Megami Tensei IV: If you're not from Europe, buy the fuck out of this game. It's so good.
  • Etrian Odyssey IV: A great introduction to the franchise, EO IV is a great dungeon crawler that expands on the elements already present in the series, leaving IV to feel more open than any of the other games.
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening: A tactical RPG, FE:A is another great entry point into a franchise. It also has great characterization thanks to the waifu conversation system.
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: While not as good as LTTP, LBW is still great in its own right. The rental system is a breath of fresh air to the franchise, and the more open level design of the game is a nice refresher as well after the last few entries.
  • Pokémon X/Y: An excellent iteration of the franchise, make to sure to play with EXP. Share turned off for the best experience. There's some pacing problems in the beginning but it still was great nonetheless.

3DS Games that I Recommend

• Bravely Default: It has a very good first half, a terrible opening to a second half, and a great closing to the second half.
  • Etrian Odyssey Untold: I don't think it's quite as good as IV, but it's not terrible. This game focuses more on the story than any of the others, and returns to the old style of "everything is in one mega dungeon" instead of the more open approach IV went with.
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising: Awkward controls and mediocre level design kind of bothered me with KI:U, but I still had a blast with the game.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: Fixes all of the problems I had with the original and actually made me really enjoy the game rather than feeling like I had to push myself to continue with it. It's a great updated version of a classic game.
  • Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon/2: While I didn't enjoy it as much as the original LM, Dark Moon/2 is a great action adventure title filled with exploration.
  • Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater: A lot of people had problems with the controls and the graphical quality, but they didn't phase me. Snake Eater is a great game, play it if you haven't.
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers: If you like SMT and 90's JRPGs, you'll probably get some form of enjoyment our of Soul Hackers. Just go in knowing that it will feel dated and old, and you'll be fine.

3DS Games that I'm Indifferent to

• 3D Sonic the Hedgehog: It's Sonic 1 with a few extras. I've played the original so many times that I guess I just don't really care about it anymore.
  • Crimson Shroud: A tabletop RPG inspired game, it has a lot going for it. I really wanted to like it. But the battles last way too long to be really enjoyable for me, plus there are random drops that you need to progress in the game, artificially extending the game's length.
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star: This game is okay. It is not bad. It is not the worst game to ever exist. It's just inferior to the first entry and TTYD, as well as a shift in genre that many people couldn't cope with.
  • Super Mario 3D Land: It's easily the worst 3D Mario game, in my opinion, and it's not really enjoyable.
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition: It's an okay port, it just feels off to me. I dunno.
  • Tales of the Abyss: Mediocre in every meaning of the word.

3DS Games I Recommend that you Shouldn't Even Bother With

• Weapon Shop de Omasse: It's not great. It's just not fun, and not a good rhythm game.

Lernaean

Banned
Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds are the obvious answers.
Then i'd say Fire Emblem Awakening, Kid Icarus Uprising and Kirby Triple Deluxe are among the best games on the system.

Check them out on the net, see if they look like games you'd like and if they do go get them, you're in for a treat.

Fire Emblem Awakening, SMT4 and Ace Attorney 5 are a must.

Resident Evil: Revelations is also an amazing throwback if you weren't a fan of 5/6.

Kouriozan

Kid Icarus is definitely a must, take a little while to get used to the control but the game is well worth it.
Nice gameplay, amazing dialogues, tons of unlockable, extensive difficulty selection. This game has almost all.

redcrayon

Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Mario 3D Land, Zelda LBW, Mario Kart 7 and Etrian Odyssey IV are my current favourites.

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars and OOT 3D are also worth a look. Also Starfox 64 3D. It's an awesome shooter that still stands up well.

Darkgran

Mario Golf
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Luigi's Mansion
Zelda ALBW
Zelda OOT
Kid Icarus
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Super Mario 3D Land
Pushmo
Bravely Default
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Etrian Odyssey 4

Etrian Odyssey 4
And first game is as niche as you can get lol.

OP what do you like. A safe bet is to get standard Nintendo games.

There's A link between worlds. Super Mario 3d world. New super Mario bros, animal crossing, Luigis mansion Etc...

Do you like jrpgs? There's fire emblem. SMTIV.

There's also 999 and monster hunter. I can't think of most stuff right now but Nintendo titles are your safest bet.

Platformer: Super Mario 3D LAND
RPG: Shin Megami Tensai IV
SRPG: Fire Emblem Awakening
Adventure: A Link Between Worlds
Sim: Animal Crossing New Leaf

Regiruler

Kid Icarus Uprising is priority numrero uno.
My favorite game of all time.

I would also call it without a doubt the most unique experience on the system.

Toxi

Banned
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is fun and addicting, though the Wii U version is better if you own that console thanks to online. It takes a while to get into the game and learn the flow of combat, but it's one of the few games I've played where grinding is actually fun.

Super Mario 3D Land is a must, whereas you can skip NSMB2. Then there's Theatrythm, SMTIV, Etrian Odyssey IV and OoT3D. Phoenix Wright V makes great use of the 3D, as does Fire Emblem.

Speaking of Fire Emblem, I'm playing that right now and had no idea that this Tharja chick had such a following. I'd have thought all the waifu's hunters would've glommed onto Anna or Lissa or something.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
KIU. Its the best handheld game ever (imo)
SM3DL
Ghost Recon
Layton 5, 6
Layton vs AA
AA 5
Kirby Triple Deluxe
RE: R
Luigi's Mansion 2
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Mario Kart 7
Mario Golf
SMT IV
Etrian Odyssey 4
Zelda: ALBW
FE: A
Pushmo/Crashmo
Animal Crossing
Inazuma Eleven 2 or 3

Anteo

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

Etrian Oddysey IV of course

Fire Emblem Awakening

Kid Icarus for the best 3ds game

Thanks for the suggestions! SMT4 looks fun, same with Kid Icarus Uprising. It's too bad Nintendo never made a Pikmin game on 3DS that would be great. Ill probably be picking up SSB3DS when that comes out.Oh and By the way is there anything on the 3DS store that i should be checking out?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Thanks for the suggestions! SMT4 looks fun, same with Kid Icarus Uprising. It's too bad Nintendo never made a Pikmin game on 3DS that would be great. Oh and By the way is there anything on the 3DS store that i should be checking out?

Pushmo/ Crashmo
Retro City Rampage
the Picross games
Crimson Shroud

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Thanks for the suggestions! SMT4 looks fun, same with Kid Icarus Uprising. It's too bad Nintendo never made a Pikmin game on 3DS that would be great. Oh and By the way is there anything on the 3DS store that i should be checking out?

Oh, it is, just be sure you know what you'll be getting yourself into.

It's pretty hard in the beginning, but gets gradually easier. (At least if you are a MegaTen/SMT veteran and know the ropes)

RM8

V4X3Lnz.jpg
nRZuU0X.jpg

xU3BlJt.jpg
lH9TMWD.jpg

uLngIVd.jpg
BWxuy3y.jpg

fnonp3L.jpg
QqxHChk.jpg

4FSfUVj.jpg
1pXhOqn.jpg

RWm4GPE.jpg
A8TYVXZ.jpg

lAU1kqw.jpg
jBvwkqQ.png

kymkYrX.jpg
dTQp9dc.jpg

JPAbUAS.jpg
A9eBODf.jpg

i0UI2hq.png
lxcFJkV.jpg

Super Street Fighter IV 3D, Dead or Alive: Dimensions
Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7
Shinobi, Samurai Warriors Chronicles
Tetris Axis, Cave Story 3D
Ridge Racer 3D, Frogger 3D
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, Paper Mario Sticker Star
New Super Mario Bros. 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy, Fire Emblem: Awakening
Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Yoshi's New Island
Mario Golf: World Tour, Kirby Triple Deluxe

Kriken

I always recommend the following

Fire Emblem Awakening
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Tomodachi Life
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Ocarina of Time 3D
Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7 (Still has a healthy online community)
Kid Icarus Uprising
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Kirby's Triple Deluxe
Mario Golf
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies

Asbear

Banned
If you have an XL and haven't played the original you HAVE to play Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D. Don't let yourself get turned off by judging it by its cover. There really aren't other franchises like it. It's both engaging gameplay-wise and story wise (and LOTS of replayability) and its quirky humor and style will crack you up. Framerate is bad on 3DS but it didn't keep me from enjoying it.

Kid Icarus Uprising kind of worn out its welcome for me but nonetheless it's a very stunning game in ever respect.

Super Mario 3D Land: If you like Super Mario 2: 6 Golden Coins from the GB library you should kinda get the idea of what 3D Land is compared to Super Mario Galaxy or any other SM64 kind of game. It's just a really compact but enjoyable Mario game with perfect playability for a handheld game. Get it!

A Link Between Worlds: Whether or not this is a good Zelda game can be debated but at the very least it is a fantastic game in its own right and is probably the biggest "Must own" title on the system. You simply can't miss this one.

I'd also reccommend Animal Crossing New Leaf to anybody who has never played a game in the franchise before. Also, I believe this one should be downloaded digitally because you'll mostly just be playing it for 1 or 2 hours a day at average even if you're hooked and it really is just about logging into it at the right time of day to see the most important content it has.

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney is also a must. If you live in the US you'll have to wait until August 28 but it's well worth the wait. Easily among my top 3 games in my 3DS library, and before anyone asks. YES, I think it comes out on top of Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies which is also a 3DS game. Both are good but one of them is amazing whereas the other one is just decent.

olimpia84

Kid Icarus Uprising
Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Resident Evil Revelaitons
Fire Emblem Awakening
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Street Fighter IV
Zelda ALBW and OOT

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
If you wish to have a thread like this, remake it with a detailed listing of what you like and dislike in games so you can get good feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom