• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming chair recommendations - A throne for gaming

Thanati

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations for gaming chairs? I did the obligatory search for "Gaming chairs" and a bunch came up, all with pretty decent reviews and all with a somewhat hefty price tag. Any recommendations, by some chance?

Thanks in advance!

Lokaum D+

the best i ever had

c7df0064c6d47edaa9823867f71f9908.jpg

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I got a Steelcase Series 1 which I am very happy with. From what I’ve seen probably the best you can get in the sub-$500 range.

Here’s a video about why “gaming chairs” generally suck so bad. Pretty hilarious, best part is when one of the manufacturers basically admitted that they thought it would be a fad that didn’t last very long and they wanted to make some money off it while they could.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
W4d9pNo.jpg

3141R1 from ConceptSeating, most comfortable chair I have ever owned and have tried a lot of chair but picked this over anything else, including the vaunted Herman Miller chairs

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
^

^this ... but the leather option dont buy the one from the image
fabric is the best for me as i live in a hot country, its cool and comfortable, leather will peel off easily specially when your ass is sweating.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
I just upgraded from a 5 year old Secret Lab to the Asus Destrier and ergonomically it has been a massive upgrade. My lower back and sciatic pain went away overnight. The top head mount part was a bit difficult to get on there, but I'm extremely happy with this upgrade. Seems to be a good inbetween from high end ergo chairs and features you'll want in gaming.

The arm rests are a big standout for me, and have taken a lot of pressure off my carpal tunnel as I'm resting my arms on them while I type (right now!)

uLZnZh4.jpg

Thanati

I got a Steelcase Series 1 which I am very happy with. From what I’ve seen probably the best you can get in the sub-$500 range.

Here’s a video about why “gaming chairs” generally suck so bad. Pretty hilarious, best part is when one of the manufacturers basically admitted that they thought it would be a fad that didn’t last very long and they wanted to make some money off it while they could.

Awesome. Thanks so much for sharing. Greatly apprecaited!

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Someone told me this very same thing yesterday. It's that good?
For me Fabric material is comfortable because my country is humid 24 hours.
Its just your personal preferences.

I have no regret so far, but it really is up to you especially depends on your height and body shape.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I use secondhand armchairs since I was a teenager and I love it! But I understand that this is not what you are asking for.

nemiroff

Gold Member
W4d9pNo.jpg

3141R1 from ConceptSeating, most comfortable chair I have ever owned and have tried a lot of chair but picked this over anything else, including the vaunted Herman Miller chairs

HM chairs are amazing for what they do. I mean, I used to have back pain when doing hours of gaming in a $400 dxracer gaming chair, but after buying a HM Aeron all those issues have vanished (not exaggerating).

The problem is that people think these ergonomic office chairs are comfortable for every use case, something they are clearly not. F.ex., I love my Aeron RM, but sitting in one "locked" position sometimes leave me wishing for being able to slouch in a comfortable way..

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
HM chairs are amazing for what they do. I mean, I used to have back pain when doing hours of gaming in a $400 dxracer gaming chair, but after buying a HM Aeron all those issues have vanished (not exaggerating).

The problem is that people think these ergonomic office chairs are comfortable for every use case, something they are clearly not. F.ex., I love my Aeron RM, but sitting in one "locked" position sometimes leave me wishing for being able to slouch in a comfortable way..
I was able to try the Embody for 30 days and for me it just wasn't as comfy as the ConceptSeating chair but I am a big guy at 6'8" so its likely just mainly a fit issue for me

nemiroff

Gold Member
I was able to try the Embody for 30 days and for me it just wasn't as comfy as the ConceptSeating chair but I am a big guy at 6'8" so its likely just mainly a fit issue for me
Yeah I've heard good things about those chairs. I might even buy one to compare with the Aeron and see how I like it.

Thanati

Just watched this and it's really informative. Thanks so much for posting.

Essentially says that "gaming chairs" are not worth the money. Get an office chair.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Seconding (thirding?) the Embody. At least for PC gaming. It's a great chair for sitting at attention at a computer desk, but not good for lounging. So, depending on your use case, it may or may not be a good fit.

But, I've had a great experience with mine, and I've had it for 10.5 years at this point. I'm looking to swap it out for a new one, because they introduced better fabrics and added a bit more support to the seat at some point, and I just want a change in color scheme. It's spendy, but you will get your money's worth.

I would recommend the normal Embody over the gaming one. Partially because the gaming one has Logitech branding on it, which is lame as shit for furniture, but also because they added extra padding to the back which I'd argue makes it less adept at providing proper support.

thuGG_pl

Why gaming chairs are called "gaming"? What do they do for gaming? Except of showing some fancy logo.
BTW I use Ikea Markus for few years now, no problems.

apowhungo

I got a Herman Miller Aeron Remastered at the beginning of the pandemic when I had to do the home office thing. It's pricey and I'm not that caked up but it's truly one of the best purchases I've ever made (same sort of noticeable life improvements that Sony noise cancelling headphones give you). Highly recommend, I lucked out and got it on sale and that made a HUGE difference. Also would not recommend the Classic model, Remastered is where it's at.
herman-miller-aeron-graphite-adj-arms.jpg

Go_Ly_Dow

The Ticova Ergonomic Chair on Amazon is comfy and lots of chair nuts recommend it as a budget chair.

£110/$160 on Amazon after applying the voucher

nemiroff

Gold Member
Why gaming chairs are called "gaming"?

"gaming chairs" centers around "gamer aesthetics" / gamer culture, so most of the time it's mostly about the same basic form factor, functionality and styling.

So when you buy a "gaming chair" you pretty much know what you'll get: wheels base with swivel, gas lift, seat adjustment, a high back with a fixed headrest. Often also comes with Lombard pillow and headrest pillow.

That's pretty much it I think.

twilo99

Gaming chairs are cringe as fuck.

Buy an Embody and you're good to go for the next 10+ years. Bought one a couple of months ago, huge investment but 100% worth it. Durable, comfortable, excellent back support.

And it looks fucking baller, too.

herman-miller-embody-zwart.jpg

Did you get it brand new?

Their warranty is awesome, so yeah.. I'd say good for more than 10 years

Buggy Loop

Get away from gaming chairs

Humanscale Freedom with headrest. Beats even the Herman millers we had at office. Since I bought that for covid remote work, I'm hoping to never have to change it.

No levers of tilting, can chill in a second.

kFdTMyACbjlcxJGQgzLfVgLocEOqEKtaWnLYHShy69jyFxlhUiAN3OuMp0DKGes-rXEMX0M73774RfitIFZKqcOLyA46tuYV2Q7y7bQ=s0-d-e1-ft

17_humanscale_freedom_headrest_chair_7.jpg

Top Bottom