• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me some good mid range restaurants in Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aad

So I'll be visiting Tokyo next month and want to know some memorable, interesting mid range restaurants.

Cat cafes, ninjas etc.

I'll try anything so give me your best shot GAF.

Steelrain

Go to Da Isa in Nakameguro and get some amazing pizza.

Got to Devilcraft in Kanda (Make a reservation!) and get some amazing Chicago-style pizza and good craft beer.

Take a trip to Misaki and get some great ( and cheap)Tuna sashimi.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
La Rochelle is probably my go to mid-ranged. Also skip Devilcraft unless you want to wait 3 hours for a pizza you'd get in the states in 15 mins. The beer was cute but still not worth it.

maomaoIYP

There's a cat petting cafe on the top floor of Ikebukuro's Tokyo Hands if I'm not wrong.
You pay a flat fee for entry, and you can stay as long as you want. But once you leave you can't go back in.

Most places you'll walk into that look interesting from the outside will most likely be great eats. I'm more of an izakaya guy myself. They're basically Japanese style sports bars without the sports. Smokey and packed with customers just like I like it and I don't even smoke. Sorry I don't live in Tokyo, I'm on the other side of Fuji but Japanese restaurants are pretty much a safe bet on most cases. Really try an izakaya, they're low class but they're where it's at for an authentic experience.

Aad

There's a cat petting cafe on the top floor of Ikebukuro's Tokyo Hands if I'm not wrong.
You pay a flat fee for entry, and you can stay as long as you want. But once you leave you can't go back in.

How much is the entry fee?

maomaoIYP

I mean, once you leave are you banned from ever entering again? Or you just pay again?

Oh you can just pay again lol. I don't think the entry fee was particularly steep.

edit: I googled it. Their site is here. In Japanese only though. The place is called Nekobukuro, on the 8th floor of Ikebukuro's Tokyu Hands. Entry fee is 600 yen, or you can buy a couples ticket for 1000, or a whole day pass for 1000.
There's a 100 yen off coupon on their very last page, but it says there only limited till 15th of this month, so maybe they'll have another in the future. They say that they have 40 cats, and at any one time there's 15-20 cats "working".

Steelrain

La Rochelle is probably my go to mid-ranged. Also skip Devilcraft unless you want to wait 3 hours for a pizza you'd get in the states in 15 mins. The beer was cute but still not worth it.
That's why you make a reservation and order in advance. Problem solved! I never wait more than 30 minutes and they always have a really good selection of beer. It's definitely worth it.

sasimirobot

this thread sucks. turns out that at the end of the day book a hotel next to tukiji and call it vacation in Japan. Susi for breakfast, lunch and dinner made my GF very happy...

sfedai0

Banned
this thread sucks. turns out that at the end of the day book a hotel next to tsukiji and call it vacation in Japan. Susi for breakfast, lunch and dinner made my GF very happy...

Anecdotal much? Tsukiji is fine for one visit, unless you love overpaying for your sushi.

sasimirobot

Anecdotal much? Tsukiji is fine for one visit, unless you love overpaying for your sushi.

there are no posts in this thread that mention awesome cheap susi places. to say tukiji is overpriced and not mention what place is not overpriced is also anecdotal. I thought it was very much worth 25$US for some of the best raw fish in the world, please tell...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I got a chuckle when I read you guys' post and then saw his name was sasimi.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Where in Tokyo and do you have a certain style of food you'd like to try? 'good restaurants in tokyo' is kind of broad unless you want gimmick things like cat cafes.

Bodacious

Banned
The large shopping complexes in Odaiba (Decks, Aqua City, Venus Fort, Diver City) are full of great & affordable places to eat. For example, there is a Kaiten-zushi place (conveyor belt sushi) place in Diver City that has an Ipad at every table with an interactive menu of all the different types of sushi for sale. If you don't see the thing you want coming around on the conveyor belt, just order it on your table's Ipad and it will come to you on a little Shinkansen train that travels all over the restaurant. Lots of fun.

gryz

Banned
pretty much every restaurant in tokyo will be good, but IMO avoid places that seem liek they cater to foreigners. places with vending machine ordering systems are the best, you just order on a touchscreen then hand your slip to a guy

GoGo Curry is awesome and pretty cheap.

edit holy shit apparently there is gogocurry in new york city now wtf

There was an okonomiyaki stand at Yasukuni Shrine that was absolutely wonderful. My favorite meal I had in Japan was from that stand.

sasimirobot

Eww eww eww I hate it when people romanize し as "si" and つ as "tu" it's just gross.

this isn't really the thread for this but -

. For people who prize the insight into the underlying regularity of the phonetic system, kunrei-siki is felt to be a more elegant system than Hepburn. From that point of view, Hepburn may be felt to be a bastard system that doesn't respect the phonology of Japanese.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
this isn't really the thread for this but -

. For people who prize the insight into the underlying regularity of the phonetic system, kunrei-siki is felt to be a more elegant system than Hepburn. From that point of view, Hepburn may be felt to be a bastard system that doesn't respect the phonology of Japanese.
Respect is nice.. But on an English-speaking forum I'd recommend the system that best indicates to English-speakers how to pronounce it.

sasimirobot

Devil craft was really nice! loved the beer and pizza had the crispiest/crunchiest crust I have ever eaten. didn`t have to wait just walked in...

Thanks for that guys

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Eww eww eww I hate it when people romanize し as "si" and つ as "tu" it's just gross.

I don't know if you're an expert on Japanese pronunciation. I am. and it's a lot about desu ne and so desu ne.

Anyway, I would add the amazing Tonkatsu place at the top of Takashimiya in Shinjuku. It's called Katsukura and serves the best fried pork you're going to have, along with a stunning shaved cabbage salad, which sounds boring, but trust me, it's not.

It's fairly reasonably priced and feels slightly fancy. Get the double (sized) pork chop. Enjoy. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...ten-Shibuya_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Also, there are too many ramen places to mention, but since you'd be in the neighborhood anyway, Nakamoto is amazeballs.

http://www.ramenadventures.com/2010/02/nakamoto-in-shinjuku.html

squidyj

I don't know if you're an expert on Japanese pronunciation. I am. and it's a lot about desu ne and so desu ne.

Anyway, I would add the amazing Tonkatsu place at the top of Takashimiya in Shinjuku. It's called Katsukura and serves the best fried pork you're going to have, along with a stunning shaved cabbage salad, which sounds boring, but trust me, it's not.

It's fairly reasonably priced and feels slightly fancy. Get the double (sized) pork chop. Enjoy. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...ten-Shibuya_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Also, there are too many ramen places to mention, but since you'd be in the neighborhood anyway, Nakamoto is amazeballs.

http://www.ramenadventures.com/2010/02/nakamoto-in-shinjuku.html

sou desu ne.

Jakten

The Capcom Bar in Shinjuku is really cool, most of their stuff is based off more modern Capcom games but they do a performance for every item you order and its pretty reasonably priced. We ordered a Pheonix Wright themed meal and they had a trial over the sauce or something. It was great. You can also eat a brain for dessert.

There is also Luida's Bar which is a Dragon Quest themed cafe in Roppongi. They have some replicas of the weapons from DQ and you can eat meat buns in the shape of slimes.

There is a Biohazard/Resident Evil restauraunt in one of the Parco malls in Shibuya which looks nice inside and has a lot of cool props and a statue of Nemesis but they play corny 90s music like the Thong Song and Alanis Morrisette which totally ruins the mood. The RE themed food at the Capcom Bar is better but its still kind of cool.

xk0sm0sx

For me it's always low range all the way haha.
Japan (Tokyo's) food is so good that getting to eat all these food at such cheap prices was such a joy.
I never pay over 1000 yen for a meal.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
For me it's always low range all the way haha.
Japan (Tokyo's) food is so good that getting to eat all these food at such cheap prices was such a joy.
I never pay over 1000 yen for a meal.

you guys got it good, most of the time I would bring cereal and ramen and spend all my money on games, anime figures, and the occasional "magazine".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom