• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend Me Some Music and I will rate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I remember over 5 years ago (shit, was it THAT long ago!!?!) I asked the forum for new music. My 80's and 90's standards had gotten stale and my musical inspirations were going nowhere. I was stuck in a rut. I asked for suggestions based on my tastes and discovered The Flaming Lips, Nada Surf, and My Morning Jacket because of that thread. I need your help again, GAF.

My music has gotten stale. I am still listening to the classics and The Flaming Lips, Nada Surf, and so on. I need new music. For reference, albums that I have loved in the past 5 years:

The Unicorns: Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? (top 10 albums ever.)
Neva Dinova: The Hate Yourself Change (Omaha scene with melody, guitars, and an amazing singer)
The Flaming Lips: At War With the Mystics (hated it at first, has grown on me considerably since)
Radiohead: In Rainbows (but I like Hail to the Thief better)
Nada Surf: Let Go
IAMX: Kiss + Swallow
Dolorean: You Can't Win (blind purchase; loved it)
Mars Volta: Deloused in the Comatorium

For reference, as well:

I LOVE Origin of Symmetry but loathe Black Holes and Revelations (well, loathe is a strong word, I dislike it, especially with how much I loved Muse)
I LOVE Blacklisted, but loathe Fox Confessor Brings the Flood (Neko Case)
I LOVE Deloused in the Comatorium, sort of like Frances the Mute and loathe Amputechture.
I love classics like Led Zeppelin, the Doors, and Pink Floyd but rarely listen to them because of how overplayed they are in my recent history.
I LOVE Neva Dinova but LOATHE Bright Eyes. I really need my singers to not sound like they are billy goats. I love shoegaze music, but there has got to be real emotion in it.

Now, seeing what I like and dislike, please recommend what I can get to fill this void I have in my life. I am so tired with my music right now, I actually got excited when I heard Patience by Guns n Roses on the radio yesterday. :( I will try everything out that you recommend and tell you if I like it or if I am sending it back. Either way, I will appreciate it.

I share a lot of your music taste, so i'll go ahead and recommend Porcupine Tree which is my favourite band. Their style is very diverse. Either In Absentia or Deadwing would be a good starting point as they are their most accessible works.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
You clearly need Paul Simon's Graceland in your life. Why don't you go ahead and rate that.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
QVT said:
You clearly need Paul Simon's Graceland in your life. Why don't you go ahead and rate that.

Own it, love it. There Goes Rhymin' Simon is my favorite of his solo stuff, though. Bookends is still the most brilliant thing he has been involved in. :)

I will check out Porcupine Tree. the name seems familiar to me...

Fireblend

Banned
Artist - Album format:

Frost* - Milliontown
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing (and In Absentia, pretty much their best 2 albums)
The Third Ending - The Third Ending (this one's gonna be hard to find)
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Three (or "3") - Wake Pig
Between the Buried and Me - Colors(don't bother if you can't stand death metal though)
OSI - Free
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2

We actually have somewhat similar taste, so I hope this helps.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
AlteredBeast said:
Own it, love it. There Goes Rhymin' Simon is my favorite of his solo stuff, though. Bookends is still the most brilliant thing he has been involved in. :)

I will check out Porcupine Tree. the name seems familiar to me...

Next on the list of things that will fix people's Radiohead problem is Fugazi's Repeater. You can't own that.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Co-Pilgrim - Pucker Up Buttercup.

I'm pretty confident you'll like it, given what you've listed.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
41mCqAEGyhL._SS500_.jpg

Pikelet

Bruce Springsteen. Born to run/Born in the USA as well as Nebraska and darkness on the edge of town. All absolutely brilliant albums. In terms of Porcupine Tree i definitely recommend Deadwing but i think Fear of a Blank Planet is better than In Absentia

Meliorism

Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider
Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand
Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends
Menomena - Friend and Foe
The National - Boxer
Pinback - Autumn of the Seraphs

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Nightingale - The Breathing Shadow
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Anathema - Alternative 4
Devin Townsend - Terria
Headcontrolsystem - Murder Nature
No-Man - Together We're Stranger
Witchcraft - Firewood

Enjoy.

Damodar

Fireblend said:
Artist - Album format:

Frost* - Milliontown
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing (and In Absentia, pretty much their best 2 albums)
The Third Ending - The Third Ending (this one's gonna be hard to find)
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Three (or "3") - Wake Pig
Between the Buried and Me - Colors(don't bother if you can't stand death metal though)
OSI - Free
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2

We actually have somewhat similar taste, so I hope this helps.

These. Oh god, these.

Haeleos

You might like dredg. Try these out. They touch on a couple different influences throughout their music so if you don't like one don't give up on them.

dredg - Lechium
dredg - Symbol Song
dredg - The Canyon Behind Her
dredg - Sang Real
dredg - Ode to the Sun

Desperado

What do you think about the Beatles?
If I could only recommend one album to anyone, it would be Abbey Road.

(If I could only recommend two albums to anyone, it would be Abbey Road and the self-titled debut of Boston. Third would be Led Zeppelin IV. )

Nander

The National - Boxer
Jens Lekman - Night Falls over Kortedala
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith
Mew - Frengers
Neutral Milk Hotel - Aeroplane over the Sea
of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?

Some bands/artist that I think you will enjoy.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Headcontrolsystem - listened to Wonderworld and Watergate. Both were very meh. I dont see how either relates at all to my tastes as described in the OP. Who knows, maybe they have some slower, melodic, and less rocking songs out there, but I wasnt willing to waste more time trying after these two failures.

This Town Needs Guns - listened to It's Not True Rufus, Don't Listen to the Hat and If I Sit Still I May Get Out of Here. I liked the latter better, but I did enjoy ow the first rocked out without losing itself. The guitar work is fun. I will have to look into them more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jens Lekman - Good stuff. :) I'm Leaving You Because I Don't Love You and The Opposite of Hallelujah are awesome! Will be purchasing one of his albums soon. Thanks for the suggestion!

Re: The Beatles. They are my favorite band of all-time. Abbey Road is in my top 5. :)
Re: dredg - I used to really like these guys, but their music doesn't rub me the right way most of the time anymore.

I will get to everyone's suggestions eventually. Thanks so far guys

Gossack

Artist - Album format:

Meshuggah - obZen
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
Opeth - Watershed
Queen - Made in Heaven
Slayer - Reign in Blood
System of a Down - Mezmerize
The Killers - Sam's Town

El_Victor

Tael said:
Artist - Album format:

Meshuggah - obZen
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
Opeth - Watershed
Queen - Made in Heaven
Slayer - Reign in Blood
System of a Down - Mezmerize
The Killers - Sam's Town
I LOVE Origin of Symmetry but loathe Black Holes and Revelations (well, loathe is a strong word, I dislike it, especially with how much I loved Muse)
Isn't it a bannable offense to not read the OP?

NimbusD

Anathallo - Floating World

myspace.com/anathallo

I always like to listen to them when I'm in a musical funk.

The Bealtes are my favorite band, and I share some similar tastes with you, so I'll try recommending some stuff:

How about these albums:

The Fratellis (Self-titled)

The Virigins (Self-titled)

Franz Ferdinand (Self-titled)

Gorillaz (Self-titled)

Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill (among others)

I bolded the albums I think suit your taste the most, but I love all of these.

P.S. I really think the best music out there is from the late 60s and 70s, but I've only recommended stuff from this decade above.

Portishead

They have three albums, all different from each other.

The first Dummy, is probably the easiest to get into, although to me it's slightly stale because it's been so influential. Still, it's unique.

Portishead, their second album, used to be my favorite.

I was really hyped for their third album, Third, but was extremely disappointed when I first heard it. It made no sense to me and seemed derivative and uninspired.

Then I started listening to it more in depth and more frequently and quickly found things I had previously missed. I now think it's genius and I find it hard to listen to anything else.

By the way: I don't want you to rate these in a day or two. This stuff deserve you take your time with it. It's not "surface value" music, especially Third.

-----------------------

Also, I don't know how much classic rock you've listened to, but it should definitely include Dire Straits. Mark Knopfler is your favorite guitarist's favorite guitarist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom