• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommendations for Zelda-like games from SNES era?

Rich!

So, simple request. I want to play some games that take cues from Zelda (RPG world, action based gameplay). I used to have Terranigma as a kid and loved it, along with Illusion of Gaia/Time. I've finished Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 2 many times.

I'm looking for more games along those kind of lines, rather than anything turn based (Suikoden/Chrono/Final Fantasy).

Open to suggestions on SNES, PS1, Genesis/Mega Drive, Game Boy and PC. GAF?

The Story of Thor/Beyond Oasis for the Megadrive/Genesis.
Golvellius and the Valley of Doom (I'm sure that was it's name) for the Master System. I know your not looking for MS stuff but it definitely fits the bill.

Both were really fun, and definitely Zelda-esque.

Alundra
  • The best Zelda game that isn't Zelda
Secret of Evermore
  • If you liked Secret of Mana, you'll love this too.
Landstalker
  • I haven't played it, but it was the precursor to Alundra and I understand it's pretty good

Whatever you do, do not play Alundra 2. Because it doesn't exist. There is no Alundra sequel.

Crusader of Centy for the Genesis

imagedisplay_0051.gif

I don't see many - well, any - people talking about this game, but it's sooo goooooood. Plus it has some cool power combining systems and abilities.

Rich!

Have you played Alundra? Its for PS1 but you can download it for your Vita or PSP.

Alas, I haven't got either of those anymore or I would go the PSN route.

Just bought a copy for £12 on eBay. Thought it would be a lot more - I'm still scarred from trading in my mint copy of Terranigma as a kid.

I can rip it and play it on my phone.

Andrew.

Banned
Crusader of Centy for the Genesis

imagedisplay_0051.gif

I don't see many - well, any - people talking about this game, but it's sooo goooooood. Plus it has some cool power combining systems and abilities.

That game is fucking awesome, but for some reason it was damn close to impossible to find a copy here in the 'States when it released. Not sure if it was Euro only or what. I could never, ever find it anywhere.

Rich!

That game is fucking awesome, but for some reason it was damn close to impossible to find a copy here in the 'States when it released. Not sure if it was Euro only or what. I could never, ever find it anywhere.

Euro only suits me fine! Looks good, I'll have a hunt for it.

Edit: holy fuck, only one copy on eBay and it's £99.

Super Adventure Island II. It's more like Zelda 2 if anything, but not as broken and pretty damn fun. The last boss will make you tear your heart out, I just gave up after infinitely dying (but maybe I missed something).

Shadowrun could also qualify, since it's technically an action-rpg. The setting's pure cyberpunk tho, hopefully you have a taste for that.

I could also recommend Tomba! and Tomba2!; they have a lot of Zelda-like inspirations there, even if one's side-scroller and the other's isometric. You can get Tomba! for cheap on PSN otherwise it's like $80 off eBay.

Alundra is the best Zelda game I have played.

*haven't played LTTP. 3D Zeldas never hit with me too much. Spirit Tracks was meh.

If you have a Wii you can pick up Neutopia on VC - it was a TG-16 Zelda clone and is quite a good game in its own right.

And as long as I'm going to break into the Turbografx territory, might as well recommend Y's Book I & II. I'm pretty sure it's available on Wii Virtual Console too, and there's a great PSP version as well.

Roarer

Soul Blazer. Developed by Quintet and the game to which Illusion of Gaia is the spiritual successor.

I remember loving at way back and it holds up pretty well today.

Andrew.

Banned
Hey Rich, what about Beyond Oasis? And also the sequel that released for Saturn?

The first is actually on the Sonic Genesis Collection for 360/PS3.

beyond-oasis.jpg

legend_of_oasis_screen_27.jpg

As was mentioned, Alundra 1 & 2 were pretty great.

Secret of Evermore was a criminally underrated game.

And a game I find fun but most people don't is Lagoon.

lagoonice.gif

Celine

NES/GBC:
Crystalis, Star Tropics 1&2 (sort of)

Master System:
Golden Axe Warrior

SNES:
Soul Blazer, Gunpuru: Gunman's Proof

Mega Drive:
Soleil, Beyond Oasis (sequel is on Saturn)

Game Boy/Color:
Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1), Daikatana

Game Gear:
Ax Battler (it's more like Zelda 2 or Ys 3).

PC Engine:
Neutopia 1 & 2, Ys Book 1&2, Ys 4

PS1:
Alundra 1

Wonderswan:
Star Hearts

PC:
Silver

The Twisted Tale of Spike McFang (SNES).

Rented it once as a kid. You're a vampire with various magic hats that you throw at enemies.

Young Merlin for SNES. It's goofy looking as hell sometimes, but if you get into it, there's good puzzles and action, and really funny parts because of the presentation and flamboyant nature of the protagonist.

Recent PC games include Anodyne, Ittle Dew, and Seedling; all of which are zelda-likes.

Valdis Story and Secrets of Grindea are pretty close to release.

Roto13

Crusader of Centy needs a Virtual Console release like yesterday.

Beyond Oasis seems to be good but for some reason the music drives me up the wall.

Andrew.

Banned
Crusader of Centy needs a Virtual Console release like yesterday.

Beyond Oasis seems to be good but for some reason the music drives me up the wall.

Yeah, its definitely the most disppointing music Yuzo has composed in my opinion.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Both Alundra-games, Landstalker, the Oasis-games, the whole Quintet-trilogy, the Seiken Densetsu-games, Soleil, Crystalis, Star Tropics of the top of my head.

If you want something similar to Zelda 2, you should get the Wonder Boy in Monster World-games, Faxanadu, Rygar (nes) and Battle of Olympus.

From my point of view, you've already played the best Zelda-ish games of the bunch. While I personally don't like them, the Alundra games on the PS1 are received pretty well. The first one should be easily accessible on PSN if this is an option to you. Just be prepared for some atrocious puzzles and platforming.

When it comes to the Seiken Densetsu games, definitely take a look at Legend of Mana. It's a little different from the other entries, but it's by far my favourite.

Psxphile

Hmm... this might seem like a strange recommendation but:

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Capcom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KLjIXsMIJ8#t=01m38s

The first Gambare Goemon game to be localized for western audiences. The game is split into 2 modes: isometric exploration where you search for shops, beat up random hoods for cash and gain power-ups; and platformer-type stages (in lieu of dungeons) where you traverse a linear, side-scrolling path that leads to a boss you must defeat. Top-notch graphics for the era and an excellent soundtrack. Can get right difficult at points. Has 2 player co-op and a password system to continue your progress (no save batter/SRAM).

Not exactly Zelda-like except for the overhead map portions (unless we're talking Zelda II, and then maybe only a little), but it's a very fun game and chances are you'll enjoy it as you said you like fast-paced action.

Also straight-up echoing Soul Blazer recommendations, that is an excellent game that predates Illusion of Gaia/Time, and from the same team. Final Fantasy Adventure/Seiken Densetsu is also a great Game Boy title that will be right up your alley.

Furthermore, since you mentioned PC might I suggest giving the Ys games available on Steam a go? They skew a bit more to the jRPG side but you won't find any turn-based battles here, just pure unadulterated quick-reflex game-play. Ys I&II Chronicles+ feature the old-school bump system, but Oath in Felghana and Ys Origins has more traditional game-play systems. Do it for the soundtracks alone, they are bliss.

On the Playstation side there's Brave Fencer Musashi as mentioned above, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain if you like your adventure games to skew towards the Gothic (and hell, why not Soul Reaver while you're at it?), and perhaps even the Mega Man Legends series... though they lean more towards PEW PEW than what you would expect from a Zelda-like.

Lastly, though full-blown RPGs with turn-based battles and what-not, the Wild Arms series (especially the first three) features puzzle-solving in most of the games' dungeons using a unique set of tools at the disposal of each of your party members.

Top Bottom