• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommendations for Zelda-like games from SNES era?

120v

i know it isn't technically snes era, but Anodyne on steam is pretty neat and about as zelda-like as you can get

Soliel / Crusader of Centy for the Mega Drive is an essential play. It's a stunning little game, and not far from the greatness of LTTP in my opinion.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Somebody's probably already said it, but Terranigma.

Edit: Hmmmmmmmmm... Probably should of read the OP before I replied :\

Hey Rich, what about Beyond Oasis? And also the sequel that released for Saturn?

The first is actually on the Sonic Genesis Collection for 360/PS3.

beyond-oasis.jpg

legend_of_oasis_screen_27.jpg

I was about to say this ._.

Makai

Well everyone's hit on the fairly obvious candidates, so I'll just mention the most obvious:

Super Metroid
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Similar game is Wonderboy IV - Monster World. there is a translation patch

wonderboy4-cover.jpg

Also Dynastic Hero for the PC-Engine

wo5.jpg
M8jZGu8.jpg

Did I ever mention how much I love this game?

It's recent but it looks like a 16 bit game, is a side scrolling action Metroidvania type JRPG and is an awesome, awesome game. If you like games like Wonder Boy in Monster World and Popful Mail, get this. Get this now!

Does anyone remember Brain Lord for the SNES? I was always too dumb to progress very far but I still loved it.

edit: Apparently this game is bad, I just remember it from when I was like nine or so.

You have to play Alundra! It's Zelda with a dark, great story and wonderful music!

Also, I actually think you should try Lagoon. It has always received a lot of hate, but when I played it many years ago I really liked it!

For the Frog bell tolls for sure, I mean it's like a full prequel to Link's Awakening.

You'd have to play on emulator though, it was Japanese only. There is an English patch out there though.

graywords

Doesn't fall into the system list unfortunately, but if you can track down a copy of Magic Knight Rayearth for Saturn, you will get some similar gameplay. Jumping was strangely soothing in that game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Does anyone remember Brain Lord for the SNES? I was always too dumb to progress very far but I still loved it.

edit: Apparently this game is bad, I just remember it from when I was like nine or so.

Brain Lord has a few cool puzzles but its biggest flaws are its terrible slowdown and some dodgy hit detection. It may be worth a quick try, but it's much worse than its peers.

Some other recommendations:

Sylvan Tale - a Japanese-only Game Gear game (a fan translation exists). It's got monster transformations and is rather short but it's one of the absolute best games on the platform.

The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang - cute action RPG starring a vampire kid. It's grindy and frustrating though.

Alcahest (sp?) - released by Squaresoft, but developed by Hudson I believe? It's less story focused and more linear than its peers.

Ruin Arm - a Japanese only SFC game, no fan translation exists. Own a copy but haven't really dug much into it.

Crusader of Centy for the Genesis

imagedisplay_0051.gif

I don't see many - well, any - people talking about this game, but it's sooo goooooood. Plus it has some cool power combining systems and abilities.
Fuck. Yes. postingbros.gif

Also,if you want to go handhelds, the Game Gear game Sylvan Tale is a fantastic Zelda clone with a great soundtrack. It got a good fan translation some years ago.

EDIT: And since it hasn't been mentioned so far, I'll say you might want to check out the Super Famicom game Gunple. (The fan translation calls it Gunman's Proof.) It's a weird Zelda clone that isn't really an RPG but more of a shooter. Graphically it resembles LttP, but you use guns and it has a Western theme. Very strange but fun little game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
M8jZGu8.jpg

Did I ever mention how much I love this game?

It's recent but it looks like a 16 bit game, is a side scrolling action Metroidvania type JRPG and is an awesome, awesome game. If you like games like Wonder Boy in Monster World and Popful Mail, get this. Get this now!
Since I love WBMW and I remember liking Popful Mail (though I haven't played that one in a loooong time), I tried the demo on Steam, but the controls are uh, kinda bad, especially the ridiculously "slippery" jumping. Also, I don't necessarily mind cuteness, but the art style and characters are probably too saccharine to my liking. :(

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Since I love WBMW and I remember liking Popful Mail (though I haven't played that one in a loooong time), I tried the demo on Steam, but the controls are uh, kinda bad, especially the ridiculously "slippery" jumping. Also, I don't necessarily mind cuteness, but the art style and characters are probably too saccharine to my liking. :(
I remember hearing so much about how bad the controls are but except for the "slippery" landing after jumping, I never had any issues with it at all. I actually found the combat to be quite a bit more extensive and enjoyable than most platformer games. Some people equate them more to controls in a fighting game and that might be somewhat accurate with the exception you can turn around as quickly as you can in any 2D game.

As for the art style, yeah it's really just what you can handle. I love JRPGs but I'm not really a fan of anime. I can tolerate the "moe" style of the game as I don't really see it any different from a game like Recettear or even some Tales titles. Personally, I love the graphics, especially the background visuals. It's one of those pleasant surprises that caught me somewhat off guard and turned out to be my favorite indie (doujin) game this generation. I'm actually kinda sad there's probably never going to be a sequel, although in a sense Fortune Summoners is kind of a sequel or at least takes place in the same world as an earlier game called The Adventures of Fuwaru the Apprentice Witch.

Link Man

Banned
It's currently in an alpha state, but I'd like to suggest Elliot Quest. It's quite a bit like Zelda II, with an overworld map and side-scrolling dungeons. There's an online demo, too, if you want to try it out.

Log4Girlz

Hey Rich, what about Beyond Oasis? And also the sequel that released for Saturn?

The first is actually on the Sonic Genesis Collection for 360/PS3.

beyond-oasis.jpg

legend_of_oasis_screen_27.jpg

I played a bit of the first one, the pixel art is far better than screens let on. Absolutely gorgeous.

Jay Sosa

imagedisplay_0051.gif

I don't see many - well, any - people talking about this game, but it's sooo goooooood. Plus it has some cool power combining systems and abilities.

And I thought I know every game that plays (somewhat) like Zelda. Thank you kind sir!

@OP: Like many said, Alundra. Beyond Oasis is a blast too.

DSix

Banned
1243349249562_f.jpg

One of the absolute best. Made by Squaresoft and HAL Laboratories. It's crazy that this game isn't better known.

drspeedy

I just beat Beyond Oasis last Christmas... it's maybe the best 2D Zelda-like game I've ever played, really worth a playthrough.

pic[IMG]

I don't see many - well, any - people talking about this game, but it's sooo goooooood. Plus it has some cool power combining systems and abilities.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't this almost a 1:1 knockoff of LTTP? I remember someone playing it when I was younger who just bashed it for being a Zelda wannabe, I never even gave it a chance...

[quote="Village, post: 79736769"]Goof Troop

Someone remake this game like duck tales[/QUOTE]

OP needs a second player!

Clockwork5

It is not on your list of systems... but Neutopia 2 for TG-16 is the best Zelda clone I have ever played. It is right up there with LTTP in my eyes. Get yourself a TG-16 emulator and have a blast with this one!

Link Man

Banned
It is not on your list of systems... but Neutopia 2 for TG-16 is the best Zelda clone I have ever played. It is right up there with LTTP in my eyes. Get yourself a TG-16 emulator and have a blast with this one!

It's also available on Wii Virtual Console.

Wasn't this almost a 1:1 knockoff of LTTP? I remember someone playing it when I was younger who just bashed it for being a Zelda wannabe, I never even gave it a chance...
Nope. It has a more developed story and gameplaywise you have things like familiars that follow you around and help in battle, etc. It has a few nifty details also like a Sonic cameo and the fact that you don't play as the official "hero" (you encounter the official "hero" several times throughout the game).

Top Bottom