• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Record low number of babies born in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo C.

Pfff, the problem could be easily solved if only the government would do the job properly:

- No visa needed for every foreigner
- easy naturalization, and you can keep your own nationality
- free day-care for all children, cut the spending of military for it and recruit grannys and gramps as assistants for this job
- introduce tax cuts for companies which hire married women and mothers. Alternatively, extra taxes for those which don't hire married women and mothers
- every children born in Japan can automatically have citizenship; again, double or triple nationality allowed

Just a bunch of measures they could take. You could even go further, just look at other countries' policy.

Branduil

Immigration would help a lot, but Japan also needs to change its work culture. People aren't going to procreate when all of their energy is sapped by work.

mandiller

Men seem to be losing interest in babymaking in the first place, with one government survey finding that more than a third of Japanese males ages 16 to 19 were uninterested in sex or even despised it; even more women said the same.

What is this? I don't even..

What is wrong with Japanese men?

Drazgul

The world can handle a few billion more people, we just have to learn to change our living habits and reverse environmental degradation.

That sounds more like delaying the problem rather than a proper solution. What happens after those few billion more are here?

If a society depends on constant population growth to function, then that society is fundamentally flawed.

KillGore

Finally something the Vita beat

I almost died

I understand, but taking the economic factor out, isn`t depopulation a good thing? Overpopulation will be the biggest problem in the world if the growth continues. I think I read somewhere that there were just over 2 billion people in the world in the 40s, now there more than 7. Imagine how it will be in the 2050s. I don`t care about the economics, I care about the world. It don`t know if it can sustain more than 15 billion people :p

I doubt population will continue to grow at such a fast pace. I really hope not.

That sounds more like delaying the problem rather than a proper solution. What happens after those few billion more are here?

If a society depends on constant population growth to function, then that society is fundamentally flawed.

It's because we live in a world where our economy is also based on continuous growth. Countries have to borrow more and more to attract investors and keep an economy healthy and when the tax base needed to pay off that debt begins to decline they have a serious problem.

I agree it is fundamentally flawed, but it's the system mankind has chosen.

params7

Banned
And why does Japan need more babies? Or any country in this world for that matter? There are traffic jams everywhere, high unemployment, people struggling to make a living. The way I see it Japan's on the right path.

Crayons

Banned
And why does Japan need more babies? Or any country in this world for that matter? There are traffic jams everywhere, high unemployment, people struggling to make a living. The way I see it Japan's on the right path.

Who is going to pay for the old people?

Just how I fell. It might hurt some business, but it will be great and envied long term.

Tabris

It's a catch 22. The problem is that lower young population has to support the larger ageing population. Once they get past it in the next 30-50 decades, everything will be fine. It's that time which will be the problem. Every western society will experience it. America will experience it, they are lagging behind because they are a step behind the rest of the first world... in almost everything but GDP, Military Spending, the 1%-10%, and Olympics?

KillGore

Who is going to pay for the old people?

It's going to happen eventually, if you keep the population growing you're just going to have a larger amount of old people anyways. Countries will need to start controlling the population and keep it steady then.

Edit: What about China? do they have a larger amount of older people or younger? I know they control the population growth now.

I really hope that too. It just can`t be good.

Population has dropped where I'm from, only 3% but at least it's something (2000 vs 2010)

You think the ideal growth rate is 2.1%? And you think the US has that? Where do you get that info because its wrong.

I was referring to having an aged society with Japan.

ahh lol sorry you are right I got it confused with fertility rate pls forgive me I have all these stats in my head and sometimes I get them mixed up.

And you are right Japan is an especially bad case, but Eastern Europe isn't much better off

Mr_Moogle

Canada is where it's at. Low birthrate + High immigration rate = Culture diversity.

Its the same here in Australia. The best thing about this is all the hot foreign women walking around, and awesome foreign food places opening up.

I don't think we have many Mexicans living in Australia but finally there's some decent restaurants opening up. This is the one thing we really lack. Its very hard to get a decent Burrito or Taco in this country.

Tabris

Its the same here in Australia. The best thing about this is all the hot foreign women walking around, and awesome foreign food places opening up.

I don't think we have many Mexicans living in Australia but finally there's some decent restaurants opening up. This is the one thing we really lack. Its very hard to get a decent Burrito or Taco in this country.

Preach it brother! I'm in Vancouver and there's so many tasty foreign women... and tasty restaurants :)

Neo C.

Unless you want the old people live in poverty, you need enough working people to support them.
That's why France's policy is fundamentally flawed. Sure, you can make them retire early, but it doesn't help the youth if they have to support the retired people heavily.

Does that include Tex-mex?

waxer

Cost in Japan i assume is a pretty high issue. Girlfriend in early thirties and most her friends said money is the biggest factor for them.

It's because we live in a world where our economy is also based on continuous growth. Countries have to borrow more and more to attract investors and keep an economy healthy and when the tax base needed to pay off that debt begins to decline they have a serious problem.

I agree it is fundamentally flawed, but it's the system mankind has chosen.

yeah and if we want to survive another century we better start thinking on how to change that system because nothing lasts.

Eastern Europe is actually where it is worst overall

A world where the elderly outnumber the young isn't a healthy world any way you spin it. The biggest problem isn't overpopulation it is sustainability. The world can handle a few billion more people, we just have to learn to change our living habits and reverse environmental degradation.

but don't you think the environment is where it is now because of human population explosion? reduce that and you reduce the strain and hurt on the environment and resources. I mean, we're running out of Helium for god's sake, HELIUM!

but don't you think the environment is where it is now because of human population explosion? reduce that and you reduce the strain and hurt on the environment and resources. I mean, we're running out of Helium for god's sake, HELIUM!

I think it has less to do with the population and more to do with level of consumption per capita. With modern technology (and future technology), we could drastically reduce the environmental impact even with a growing population.

IceCold

Canada is where it's at. Low birthrate + High immigration rate = Culture diversity.

If every country does this than would we really have cultural diversity in the world? Every country would just become more or less the same.

This system kinda works places like Canada or the US, but it doesn't works as well in countries who aren't the product of immigration and with a ethno-cultural identity, like Japan. Heck, Japan is so xenophobic they even have a hard time accepting Japanese returnees (namely Japanese-Brazilians).

Emily Chu

Banned
So, this means that in a close future people will have more space for their hotel rooms in japan ?

BMu9S.jpg

wouldn't mind living like that if it meant cheap as fuck rent

only really have a laptop and a phone and a backpack tbh

all I need is that and a bathroom with a shower and a sink + toilet

KillGore

I think it has less to do with the population and more to do with level of consumption per capita. With modern technology (and future technology), we could drastically reduce the environmental impact even with a growing population.

You actually believe people who are used to this lifestyle will change? Pretty unlikely, at least those who are already born. You could educate those who are going to be born though.

Smaller population would mean abandoned roads and infrastructure, even higher unemployment rate because companies shutting down because of labour shortages and lack of sales due to the shrinking of the market, and the whole economy would be in the shitter because GDP will shrink every year.

None of the problems you listed would be fixed with a smaller population.

KillGore

I wonder what will happen when the Baby Boomer generation dies out, the next biggest one I believe is the Echo Boomer (which I am part of)

Smaller population would mean abandoned roads and infrastructure, even higher unemployment rate because companies shutting down because of labour shortages and lack of sales due to the shrinking of the market, and the whole economy would be in the shitter because GDP will shrink every year.

Both sides have their negatives. Overpopulation would bring a lot of negative things as well. That's why countries need to start controlling birth rates.

Zaptruder

Banned
Japan needs to be the first country to adopt my proposal for the "National Childcare Adoption Program".

Where a nation-state pays women to give birth to children, and the state takes them in and raises them as an elite caste with priviledged education and opportunities.

You actually believe people who are used to this lifestyle will change? Pretty unlikely, at least those who are already born. You could educate those who are going to be born though.

You're right, a lot of change will have do be done by government restricting individual and corporate consumption.

Already started kinda doing this, for instance they are phasing out incandescent bulbs. Gonna need a lot more than that lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Here's the thing:

It's the poor people in less developed countries of the world who are causing this overpopulation. Rich countries generally don't have enough children to even maintain the population (thanks to education, etc), and without immigration they would shrink.

So if a rich country doesn't maintain population, it's economy shrinks, and it will eventually become a poor country...... and start acting like a less developed country, and start having babies again!

It's in the interest of world stability for rich nations to maintain their populations, and for poor nations to become rich so they have less children (and in the meantime encourage smaller families).

Preach it brother! I'm in Vancouver and there's so many tasty foreign women... and tasty restaurants :)

Was just sampling them tonight... both of them ;) It's a beautiful night in Vancity!

Phoenix

I understand, but taking the economic factor out, isn`t depopulation a good thing? Overpopulation will be the biggest problem in the world if the growth continues. I think I read somewhere that there were just over 2 billion people in the world in the 40s, now there more than 7. Imagine how it will be in the 2050s. I don`t care about the economics, I care about the world. It don`t know if it can sustain more than 15 billion people :p

Unless the rest of the world is following your lead all you're doing is scheduling the demise for your culture as you will become a weak target for the other nation states that want your resources. If you want to do something about the carrying capacity of the planet, low birth rates really isn't the answer unless you're advocating a zero or negative population growth.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Japan is like ahead of everyone. Super economic power, ends up in a never-ending recession, super-low birth rate, and now they will try to save their race by developing a cure to stop aging.

It will be like a science-fiction novel. They will give immunity against aging to those who have kids, to preserve their race. Some Japanese will protest that not having access to immortality is the equivalent of being given a death sentence. The international community will complain, condemn Japan for ethical reasons, etc.

It would make for a good book.

Smaller population would mean abandoned roads and infrastructure, even higher unemployment rate because companies shutting down because of labour shortages and lack of sales due to the shrinking of the market, and the whole economy would be in the shorter because GDP will shrink every year.

what if the population keeps growing like in the rest of world or like in India? Sure, the economics need the population growth to keep growing as a business, they need more people to keep buying more things; but what happens when we hit saturation point? what then?

There`s only so much the world can take.

I am willing to bet that will be much worse case scenario than what any decrease in population can ever create.

jerry1594

The price of overpopulation will be much higher/drastic than a lot of older people. I mean It`s not like they are going extinct, there will always be young people. Depopulation or balacing the population is good.

But the problem is that the population growth is being thrown out of balance with this decreasing birth rate. And how exactly is depopulation good here?

numble

what if the population keeps growing like in the rest of world or like in India? Sure, the economics need the population growth to keep growing as a business, they need more people to keep buying more things; but what happens when we hit saturation point? what then?

There`s only so much the world can take.

I am willing to bet that will be much worse case scenario than what any decrease in population can ever create.
You keep positing it between excessive growth and decreasing population. There can be something in-between. Take a look at Detroit to see what happens with decreasing population.

Think about this: India has 3x the population of the US, yet the US has over 3x the CO2 emissions of India.

If you are thinking on a global scale about the future of humanity, sheer population isn't necessarily the biggest concern.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Think about this: India has 3x the population of the US, yet the US has over 3x the CO2 emissions of India.

That's actually the real problem....

Developed nations have less children... but each citizen uses like 3-5 times the resources of an undeveloped nation citizen :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom