• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Do you actually think that this game is fun or do you think that it's boring?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yes and yes

i think "boring" things can be enjoyable. for instance 2001: A Space Odyssey is my favorite movie. but if you showed it to kids today they would probably call it "boring". lot of people think Death Stranding is boring, it might be my GOTY.

i don't know, if im playing a game, i'm usually being entertained no matter what i do. it's an experience. not a job. i don't have to kill a bunch of bad guys to feel like i accomplished something or had fun. just let me wander this imaginary world and live in it and that's good enough.

double so for a western style game. i love movie westerns. again, there is a genre that most ADHD-addled brains would think is "boring". that's fine they can go play Pokemon if they want constantly flashing lights.

Last edited:
RDR2 is a masterpiece in my honest opinion! It did take me a while to get the hang of it. I felt like I was wrestling with the controller for the first couple of chapters but at one point everything synced and I had no more issues with the gameplay, heck after a while I fell in love with how the game played.

- Best open world with so much to explore and lose yourself into. Check

- Best protagonist and best supporting characters this generation. Check

- Best storyline and best dialogue. Check.

I can't wait to replay this masterpiece next generation because even though I loved it I feel like I didn't experienced it the right way. My TV is old and I played it on a X1S. Next gen with the XSX and a 4K beast of a TV this game will shine even more.

BaneIsPain

It was an excellent game with immersive world but the control should be better. I have to take a few months interval of rest to finish the game.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I've completed like 33% of the game so far. It's fun for me to just stroll through the environment and explore and take in the beautiful scenery. It's a beautiful game.

bronk

Banned
I'm being serious this was a complete let down for me. I thought it was completely awful and unfun.

MrS

Banned
The game is not fun. The story, at times, is exceptional and is what pushes the game forward and makes you want to play on. I was very close to dropping it at Guarma. The game is bad for long stretches and the in-game economy is broken, making levelling up super easy to the extent that the game becomes a cakewalk half way through. The controls are a travesty.

Last edited:

MetalRain

Have not finished it. I kind of hate mission structure, but open world is cool. I hope it would be more open (for example past Blackwater). I really like what they have done, but I think they have to change too tight mission requirements for GTA6.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it was fun yeah. at least enough for me to stick with it and finish it.

once i got to the city it started to drag so i just rushed through and focused on the main story. it was an enjoyable game but i think they stretched it too far and tried to do too much with it.

Razvedka

Banned
I couldn't get too far into it because of how bad it bored me. That isn't to say that I don't recognize how people could find it fun, that the plot wouldn't be engaging to some, etc. I think one of the things which worked against it that may be more 'unique to me' than others is that with only a bare handful of exceptions I have always found the 'Wild West' period of the United States boring as shit. Everything about it. The technology, the aesthetic, the way of life. This has carried into my distaste for movies and games set in that period.

The only real exception to this rule is the movie Tombstone.

Perhaps if I were not so retarded I may have enjoyed the game.

Kabelly

One of the prettiest games I have ever played but my god so many little design choices just add up and ruin the experience. Also I've never played story missions so restricting in any game. "Oops you tripped a little to the left and got too far from your gang: Mission Failed"

Kadayi

Banned
Got it on PC. Beautiful looking game and all, but after 30 hours or so I could barely muster the enthusiasm to pick up the controller again. I dare say I will likely revisit it down the road and see it through eventually, but there was a sloggish nature to it, and I actively disliked the way missions railroaded you into certain actions. Case in point was where a mission came up to rob some family of hillbilly types and although I'm all up for sneaking in and knocking out everyone and getting away with the goods, no the story demands that my AI companion sets fire to a barn and we end up in a firefight and kill every last one of them... :messenger_neutral:

DeaDPo0L84

Beautiful, good story,well realized open world with great attention to detail, and yet I legit had to force myself to beat it.

I simply did not enjoy 90% of the game. Rockstar are so good at what they do except for one important thing, GAMEPLAY.

Its the same reason I can't play GTA5 extensively. Arthur controls like stearing a ship and it's just not a fun experience playing a game that is potentially asking for at least 100 hours of your time. I'm not saying it needs to control like DMC but there has to be a solution that's in between the two.

I bought the super duper cowboy version on PS4 but as soon as I beat the main story I uninstalled. I honestly can't think of the last time I did that, if ever.

GreyHorace

yes and yes

i think "boring" things can be enjoyable. for instance 2001: A Space Odyssey is my favorite movie. but if you showed it to kids today they would probably call it "boring". lot of people think Death Stranding is boring, it might be my GOTY.

i don't know, if im playing a game, i'm usually being entertained no matter what i do. it's an experience. not a job. i don't have to kill a bunch of bad guys to feel like i accomplished something or had fun. just let me wander this imaginary world and live in it and that's good enough.

double so for a western style game. i love movie westerns. again, there is a genre that most ADHD-addled brains would think is "boring". that's fine they can go play Pokemon if they want constantly flashing lights.

I like to think of Red Dead Redemption as the anti-Grand Theft Auto, which is funny since they both come from the same studio. Though they both share the open world design and gameplay that Rockstar is known for, as interactive experiences they could not be anymore different. Where GTA games are loud and brash and try assault your senses with whatever craziness the developers can come up with, the RDR games are much more quiet and somber given it's Wild West setting and much of the game is set in an abandoned wilderness.

The differences are even more pronounced with their approaches to storytelling. GTA is an obnoxious and at times funny piss take parody on modern America. Everyone, even the main characters, are treated like a joke and the violence is over the top and oftentimes played for laughs. RDR on the other hand, treats it's Old West setting with complete seriousness. There are occasions of some silliness to lighten mood but for the most part much of RDR is much more focused on the drama. Characters are much more compelling and the violence is oftentimes quite grim and has consequence.

Is it any wonder that in the last GTA game that tried a dramatic approach (GTA 4), it wasn't as well received? So they immediately went back to the wacky tone for the sequel (GTA 5). I guess Dan Houser realized that the serious stories he wanted to write were much more suited for RDR's setting. But now that he's departed Rockstar, I wonder what becomes of the next Red Dead.

Abear21

Banned
Easily my game of the gen just for what Rockstar achieved with a Wild West Simulator. That’s how I think of this game, yes it’s slow, and yes there’s action, but not without the setup and plenty of character and world building first.

I love the NPC’s in this game, there’s ridiculous amounts of dialogue and each region has its own feel. Graphics aside, just wow, and all the little details, yeah the characters actual wrap their hands around items they pick up, there’s a sense of weight and physics to everything that while not 100% realistic, or videogames-ish, just feels better than most games to me.

Yeah it’s different, and slow paced, but different coming from the AAA studio to beat is good for gaming and Rockstar pushes the medium forward on old ass hardware.

I beat the story and the ending was amazing. It’s freeing to finish this thing-now I wander around and find all the little things I’ve ridden passed. This world is simply amazing.

briansDog

Neo Member
It's boring to me. I love the setting and everything, but I don't like the story. The game forces me to be the kind of person that I don't want to be to progress. Somehow it was more reasonable in RDR1 and GTA5 was more reasonable too. I kind of just want to play the game as a store owner who occasionally goes hunting and fishing on Sundays.

kevm3

I liked it more as a technology demo than an actual game. Graphically, it's amazing and the exploration and random stuff that can happen is very impressive, but the controls are just awful.

Bankai

I played it all the way through. It was... interesting for sure and story progression was cool. But there was a lot I didn't like as well.

After being initially blown away by the environments, that feeling waned and I got bored after 30 hours in and not played since.

The gunplay is ridiculously easy with Dead Eye and takes away any tension. The big open world is unrivalled in scale but something feels current gen with the way there's no persistance or proper AI to the npcs. A smaller, tighter world in terms of experience would have been better but AAAA just thinks 'bigger=better'.

phreakyo

Neo Member
It's the best LARPing game ever created. It's mediocre as a video game. How the two average out for you determines how fun it is.

noise36

I got big RDR2 vibes playing through TLOU2, both way to long, a slog, massive relief when I finally finished both.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Stunning looking game. some of the best vista's you will every see in a game. A couple of good characters.

Hunting, fishing, combat, FUCKING TEDIOUS
8/10
Fuck all those outlets with there 10/10, afraid to loose there goodies + perks.

RDR2 is amazingly crafted boring game. I start it 3 times and just cant continue playing it.
I have 2-3 hours of free time each day and you need like 5-6 hours to advance in RDR2 story.
And I'm a big fan of original RDR.

MrJTeera

First playthrough is fine. I was dazzled by the visuals, the set pieces (still have a vivid memory of the balloon scene), the voice acting, and all the small details I have yet to discover, but everytime I try to start a new playthrough, I just stopped at the first chapter and went back to play Online. Much simpler and to the point.

GtNXX0S.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
First playthrough is fine. I was dazzled by the visuals, the set pieces (still have a vivid memory of the balloon scene), the voice acting, and all the small details I have yet to discover, but everytime I try to start a new playthrough, I just stopped at the first chapter and went back to play Online. Much simpler and to the point.

Just done the balloon mission over the jail. Was beautiful. Though pumping the gas was a bit of a shit mechanic

SSfox

It's still a masterpiece even tho there are things that could've been better, which most been fix in Red Dead Online like the slow gameplay. There is also some receptivity in missions design, i found non story missions quite more appealing, interesting and more original than a lot of mains missions, which a lot of them are bad designed, repetitive and quite pushy, that being said of course there are also some already iconic mains missions, overall i loved it, and i actually hope the RDR1 remake rumours are true, but we'll see!!

Also the cast is just flawless, it's super rare that i see a game which had so many super cool characters, Arthur, Sadie, Dutch, John, Abigail, Micah, hosea, Charles, and i much more, they all so unique and cool characters. There are much more to say about the level of details about this game, like the horses and weapons, but i'm gonna just stop or i'll never end lol

Sure the game isn't perfect all way, and you can say it maybe not for everyone (is it really a con tho? not really imo), but still masterpiece and one of the best in this gaming gen.

EHMb_s9XUAY-3OC

It's objectively a bad game. Great visuals. Great voice acting. But it's a bad game.

I like when people call things objective and give no explanation why. Usually if I want something I say to be authoritative it either needs authority types agreeing with it, you know like how the leading authorities agree that getting cancer is bad or I need to make a compelling argument to support why I could claim something with such authority. Since I see no authoritative viewpoint currently existing on RDR 2's quality as a game I wish for you to elaborate.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I like when people call things objective and give no explanation why. Usually if I want something I say to be authoritative it either needs authority types agreeing with it, you know like how the leading authorities agree that getting cancer is bad or I need to make a compelling argument to support why I could claim something with such authority. Since I see no authoritative viewpoint currently existing on RDR 2's quality as a game I wish for you to elaborate.

Mission design that gives the player a FAIL state for doing anything the game doesn't have planned out for you is unforgivable imo.

It's bad enough for a game like Uncharted to be linear, but if you give the player a beautiful open world and then force them on a pathetically narrow path during the missions...what's the point? The game constantly punishes the player for thinking creatively. That's piss poor game design.

Also, it felt like half the game I was forced to stare at my horses ass going to and from camp all the time. Plus, I thought the story itself was pretty shit and is a perfect example why film and TV destroys games as a narrative medium.

Mission design that gives the player a FAIL state for doing anything the game doesn't have planned out for you is unforgivable imo.

It's bad enough for a game like Uncharted to be linear, but if you give the player a beautiful open world and then force them on a pathetically narrow path during the missions...what's the point? The game constantly punishes the player for thinking creatively. That's piss poor game design.

Also, it felt like half the game I was forced to stare at my horses ass going to and from camp all the time. Plus, I thought the story itself was pretty shit and is a perfect example why film and TV destroys games as a narrative medium.

This doesn't sound very objective. The open world isn't designed to make you think everything has multiple solutions, it's designed to immerse you in the setting... because as has been argued before RDR 2 is NOT a sandbox game, regardless of being open world, it is an IMMERSIVE SIM. In general none of this reads as objective, it reads as personal preference for certain types of game and mission design and especially your story complaints don't feel substantiated enough to rise to anything near authoritative.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This doesn't sound very objective. The open world isn't designed to make you think everything has multiple solutions, it's designed to immerse you in the setting... because as has been argued before RDR 2 is NOT a sandbox game, regardless of being open world, it is an IMMERSIVE SIM. In general none of this reads as objective, it reads as personal preference for certain types of game and mission design and especially your story complaints don't feel substantiated enough to rise to anything near authoritative.

Well, whatever it is, it's awful.

I remember the last time I played, I returned to town and got jumped by the "Driscoll boys" (or whatever the fuck they're called), I kept trying to run and hide from them so I wouldn't get the law on my ass. After about 30 seconds I finally decided to shoot back, and the moment I did an NPC ran to get the Sheriff on my ass. NPCs ignored the people who attacked me, but the moment I defended myself the game punished me. Piss poor design.

Never played again after that. Slept soundly through the night ever since.

You can't keep shoveling shit on ice cream and still call it a Sunday. At a certain point it's just a pile of shit.

Last edited:
Well, whatever it is, it's awful.

I remember the last time I played, I returned to town and got jumped by the "Driscoll boys" (or whatever the fuck they're called), I kept trying to run and hide from them so I wouldn't get the law on my ass. After about 30 seconds I finally decided to shoot back, and the moment I did an NPC ran to get the Sheriff on my ass. NPCs ignored the people who attacked me, but the moment I defended myself the game punished me. Piss poor design.

Never played again after that. Slept soundly through the night ever since.

You can't keep shoveling shit on ice cream and still call it a Sunday. At a certain point it's just a pile of shit.

Without seeing the full context of the event you're describing I have to assume it was how long you took to engage them that caused the NPC to alert the police because it became disconnected from the altercation in the game's logic. I've engaged O'Driscolls who ambush me and don't recall it affecting my reputation with law enforcement in the game. I honestly think it's cool game design, though, instead of like in GTA games where police are automatically alerted you can actually hunt down and stop the person attempting to alert authorities in RDR 2.

I had a great time with this game.

It’s also just fun to free roam to hunt or just be a cunt. Going around in towns causing brawls, pressing antagonize until they want to fight. Run and hide from the law.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Without seeing the full context of the event you're describing I have to assume it was how long you took to engage them that caused the NPC to alert the police because it became disconnected from the altercation in the game's logic. I've engaged O'Driscolls who ambush me and don't recall it affecting my reputation with law enforcement in the game. I honestly think it's cool game design, though, instead of like in GTA games where police are automatically alerted you can actually hunt down and stop the person attempting to alert authorities in RDR 2.

No, I was getting shot at the entire time. It made no sense why all the NPCs would do nothing until I fired my first bullet. Truly shit design.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I dropped the game after five hours like a lot of people because it was too slow and tedious. They took the realism too far and sacrificed fun for it.

A lot of it seemed silly too. Like I slightly bumped someone with my horse so they started running away to tell the police. To stop that I had to chase them down and shoot them in the head. Then someone saw that and started running away to tell the police so I had to do the same to them. Slightly bumping into an NPC results in multiple murders.

I dropped the game after five hours like a lot of people because it was too slow and tedious. They took the realism too far and sacrificed fun for it.

A lot of it seemed silly too. Like I slightly bumped someone with my horse so they started running away to tell the police. To stop that I had to chase them down and shoot them in the head. Then someone saw that and started running away to tell the police so I had to do the same to them. Slightly bumping into an NPC results in multiple murders.

You can just let the police come to you and accept the consequences, not saying the system in the game is perfect but you don't always get gunned down especially for trivial occurrences. That said going on a murder spree because of an accident means you had a fun time with a Very Bad Things simulator.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Now that I've gotten back into the groove of playing the game, my opinion is changing. The issues that I mentioned in the OP still exist, but after playing the game on my PS4 Pro for about three hours today, I've come to appreciate it more. Perhaps the responses in this thread have caused me to look past the downsides and focus on what's great about the game: the realism.

Today I was riding my horse, a male with brown fur, to Micah Bell's camp; I bumped into another horse, a female with white fur, that was being ridden by a man. Thus, the horse fell over and the man fell off her; however, the man got up and walked off, abandoning her.

So, I got off my steed, walked over to her, and tried to calm her down, but she kicked me. I remained persistent and tried to calm her down again; this time she responded positively. I then got onto her and rode her to Micah Bell's camp, all the while my brown-fur stallion followed me.

Along the way I had to stop many times to let her catch her breath, since her stamina wasn't as high as my male steed's yet. Meanwhile, I would calm her down, pet her, feed her, and brush her, all of which increased my bond with her.

During my mission with Micah Bell, I had to use my main horse rather than her, so she stayed at his camp. However, afterwards, I rode my male steed back to her, got onto her, and rode her all the way back to my group's camp. The journey was about ten minutes, due to having to stop multiple times to let her recuperate; however, these stops enabled me to increase my bond with her via the aforementioned actions.

When I arrived at the camp, with both her and my trailing male steed, I had a good feeling. It's pretty cool having a second horse, with whom I am bonding, all the while my main horse remains loyal and follows me around.

Kagero

Oh my God. Stop it with this shit. A game doesn’t have to be,” weeeee roller coaster!” To be fun. If you’re enjoying what you’re doing then that’s considered fun.

dcx4610

It started off boring and I didn't like Arthur at first. After 4-6 hours, it opened up and I ended up like Arthur more than John from the first game. It's a slow burn but it gets really good once you learn all of the personalities and the story picks up. The opening of the game is a bit of a chore though.

Last edited:
They fucked it up with the realism. I mean, cleaning your horse to make it faster? It was overblown with features and I expected a game, not a cowboy simulator. Played it for 5 hours before I got bored of it.

Top Bottom